What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Uncle Buck vs Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1 Viewer)

Which movie is better?

• Uncle Buck

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Votes: 72 83.7%

• Total voters
I voted for Uncle Buck but it was a tough choice.  Either way, I miss John Candy too.  That was a really funny man. 

Tidbits about Uncle Buck:

John Candy wasn't the first choice for Buck.  Danny DeVito was originally considered for the role.  

The movie Home Alone was inspired by the scene in Uncle Buck where Macaulay Culkin interrogates Chanice through the front door mail slot.  

The high school scenes were shot at the same school, in Illinois, that was also used in Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  

Tidbits about PT&A:

Candy's character, Del Griffith, was the inspiration for his cameo as Gus Polinski, the Polka king of the midwest, in Home Alone.  

The car rental scene with Steve Martin is one minute in length and Martin got in 18 F-bombs in that one minute.  This scene was one of the main reasons Martin accepted the role, after he read it in the screenplay.  

Neal's family home is the same house used in Home Alone.  

Uncle Buck is a really funny movie, but PT&A is an all time classic.

The scene where Candy is driving and be-bopping to "The Mess Around" and then ends up on the wrong side of the highway...then the exchange with the other car, "How do they know where we're going?"...then the near miss between the semis where Candy is the devil...that whole sequence still cracks me up to this day and I've seen it a dozen times at least.

PT&A is definitely my favorite Thanksgiving movie.  I'm torn between these two.  So much to love with Uncle Buck too.  I voted PT&A.  Huge Martin fan too.  

"Take this quarter, go down town, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face."  

Uncle Buck is a really funny movie, but PT&A is an all time classic.

The scene where Candy is driving and be-bopping to "The Mess Around" and then ends up on the wrong side of the highway...then the exchange with the other car, "How do they know where we're going?"...then the near miss between the semis where Candy is the devil...that whole sequence still cracks me up to this day and I've seen it a dozen times at least.
I also like when they get pulled over by David St. Hubbins.  Melted speedometer.  

Cracks me up too.  "Do you believe this vehicle is safe for highway travel?  Yes I do, yes I really do, I, I believe that... and I know it's not pretty to look at, but it'll get you to where you wanna go."   "You have no functioning gauges."  "No, not a one." 

I also like when they get pulled over by David St. Hubbins.  Melted speedometer.  

Cracks me up too.  "Do you believe this vehicle is safe for highway travel?  Yes I do, yes I really do, I, I believe that... and I know it's not pretty to look at, but it'll get you to where you wanna go."   "You have no functioning gauges."  "No, not a one." 
I nearly lost my #### reading this in print.  

My favorite part of that scene is Candy's response to "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Griffith: Since our speedometer is melted it is difficult to say with any degree of accuracy just how fast we were going."

Two of my favorite lines come from the scene where they get picked up from the hotel by Owen.

"Trains don't run out of Witchita, 'lessen you're a hog or catle."  I really need to find a way to fit 'lessen into my vernacular.

And...

"Her first baby come out sideways..."   The way he says sideways gets me every time. 

If there was a remake of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the line "How about those Bears?" would need to be removed, because nowadays everyone knows that...

The Bears still suck!

Buck's my fav Hughes and movie Candy. Never been more'n "yeah, ok" about the PTA

ETA: kind of a Buckish figure myself, so that might be it

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was a remake of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the line "How about those Bears?" would need to be removed, because nowadays everyone knows that...

The Bears still suck!
Whenever I have to go to visit my wife's family in Green Bay, I have to hear the song!

My favorite part of that scene is Candy's response to "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Griffith: Since our speedometer is melted it is difficult to say with any degree of accuracy just how fast we were going."

Two of my favorite lines come from the scene where they get picked up from the hotel by Owen.

"Trains don't run out of Witchita, 'lessen you're a hog or catle."  I really need to find a way to fit 'lessen into my vernacular.

And...

"Her first baby come out sideways..."   The way he says sideways gets me every time. 
It's the little things about PT&A that make it so great.  Right after Owen shakes Del's hand, he spits tobacco and wipes his mouth with his hand just as Neal is leaning in to shake it.  Steve Martin's face as he leans in for that 2 seconds from off camera and shakes the spit-hand absolutely kills me.

"You know what would make me happy?"

"Another couple balls and an extra set of fingers?"

It's not the funniest movie quote but "How would he know where we're going?" is definitely in my top-10 most used movie quotes of all time.  Cracks me up every time I use it even though nobody else usually gets it.

Car Rental Agent: [cheerfully] Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?

Neal: Yes.

Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?

Neal: You can start by wiping that ####### dumb-### smile off your rosey, #######, cheeks! And you can give me a ####### automobile: a ####### Datsun, a ####### Toyota, a ####### Mustang, a ####### Buick! Four ####### wheels and a seat!

Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.

Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of ####### nowhere with ####### keys to a ####### car that isn't ####### there. And I really didn't care to ####### walk, down a ####### highway, and across a ####### runway to get back here to have you smile in my ####### face. I want a ####### car RIGHT ####### NOW!

Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?

Neal: I threw it away.

Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.

Neal: Oh boy, what?

Car Rental Agent: You're ####ed!

I've used parts of this soliloquy at different times (here's an idea, have a point).  It was both hysterical and also you felt horrible for Del at the same time:

You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

It's the little things about PT&A that make it so great.  Right after Owen shakes Del's hand, he spits tobacco and wipes his mouth with his hand just as Neal is leaning in to shake it.  Steve Martin's face as he leans in for that 2 seconds from off camera and shakes the spit-hand absolutely kills me.

"You know what would make me happy?"

"Another couple balls and an extra set of fingers?"
Agreed.  So many little things.  The start is always slow for me, but once they get to the airport, there is barely a wasted minute of screen time with either one of them.  Once Candy starts offering Martin something to make up for the cab (milk? soda? some tea? lifesavers?) we're on.

It's not the funniest movie quote but "How would he know where we're going?" is definitely in my top-10 most used movie quotes of all time.  Cracks me up every time I use it even though nobody else usually gets it.
Anytime my kids do something wrong, I tell them "you're going the wrong way."  They of course get it because we watch this movie every Thanksgiving.

They of course get it because we watch this movie every Thanksgiving.
It would be great if you could get TV-cleaned versions of movies on Netflix or something. There's a bunch of movies I'd love for my kids to see, but them being 9-13 we're (mostly mom with the older boys) not quite ready for them to see a full-on R rated movie yet.

Car Rental Agent: [cheerfully] Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?

Neal: Yes.

Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?

Neal: You can start by wiping that ####### dumb-### smile off your rosey, #######, cheeks! And you can give me a ####### automobile: a ####### Datsun, a ####### Toyota, a ####### Mustang, a ####### Buick! Four ####### wheels and a seat!

Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.

Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of ####### nowhere with ####### keys to a ####### car that isn't ####### there. And I really didn't care to ####### walk, down a ####### highway, and across a ####### runway to get back here to have you smile in my ####### face. I want a ####### car RIGHT ####### NOW!

Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?

Neal: I threw it away.

Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.

Neal: Oh boy, what?

Car Rental Agent: You're ####ed!
Love the way he says runway like it's two words.  Hilarious.  Gobble gobble.

It would be great if you could get TV-cleaned versions of movies on Netflix or something. There's a bunch of movies I'd love for my kids to see, but them being 9-13 we're (mostly mom with the older boys) not quite ready for them to see a full-on R rated movie yet.
:goodposting:

There are a few scenes that still make me squirm (my youngest is 13) but nothing I hadn't seen at that age, and I turned out alright.  The "f-word" scene is the toughest, but I don't swear around them and they know that's not the way we talk.

9 is a little young for it though, yes.

PT&A really doesn't have a ton of cursing in it.  They barely have to edit that for basic cable daytime with the notable exception of the rental car scene.  Outside of that, there's very little foul language.

Love the way he says runway like it's two words.  Hilarious.  Gobble gobble.
Right before that is another great little moment.  After Neal falls and slides down the embankment and goes to grab his hat and it instantly gets plowed over by the truck.  Most films would have just had him fall and then be in the airport striding to the rental counter, but adding that 5 second clip of the hat getting run over just adds that extra layer of funny to the whole proceeding.

PT&A really doesn't have a ton of cursing in it.  They barely have to edit that for basic cable daytime with the notable exception of the rental car scene.  Outside of that, there's very little foul language.
True, I was speaking more in general than just these two. I can get access to tons of movies on my On-Demand (Xfinity connects to Netflix automatically), it would just be nice to be able to get PG versions of the movies that have been shown on a TBS-like channel, that's all.

I've used parts of this soliloquy at different times (here's an idea, have a point).  It was both hysterical and also you felt horrible for Del at the same time:

You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The taxi driver's cab in Witchita is covered in nudie pictures.

Null vote, I can't bring myself to vote against either.

Sorry.

Both are so good. I give a small nod to PT&A since you have two leads at the peak of their careers and both really shine. 

Users who are viewing this thread