What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

Attacking Dak.  Sad and pathetic. 
No more sad or pathetic than the attacks on Kaep and the other players who knelt during the anthem.

And the bottom line is that Dak is probably thinking of his second contract and money, more than, let's say, any social issues involved - as his original contract has two years to go and The Cowboys got him for practically nothing:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

Dak Prescott signed a 4 year, $2,723,393 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $383,393 signing bonus, $383,393 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $680,848. In 2018, Prescott will earn a base salary of $630,000, while carrying a cap hit of $725,848 and a dead cap value of $191,697.

Um, no, but neither does Donald Trump if you want to be technical. I think a prominent African American scholar has the right to express his opinion and it shouldn't be cavalierly dismissed because he doesn't suit up on Sundays.

As Trevor Noah asked on The Daily Show when Kaep protest first started "When is it the right time for black people to protest in Trump's America?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/727021/trevor-noah-explores-when-exactly-okay-black-people-protest-trumps-america

"You still haven't told us the right way for black people to protest. I mean, we know it's wrong to do it in the streets, it's wrong to do it in the tweets, you cannot do it on the field, you cannot do it if you've kneeled. And don't do it if you're rich, you ungrateful son of a #####, because there's one thing that's a fact: You cannot protest if you're black." 
It is not about me. This is about Dak and you should respect his feelings on the topic.

It is not about me. This is about Dak and you should respect his feelings on the topic.
Just because he plays in the NFL? I respect the right to express his opinion but being the Cowboys starting QB doesn't make him immune from criticism.

If you are going to trot out Dak as some sort of hero, it should be pointed out he has done absolutely nothing or even made any public statements before this as to any of the issues raised by the protests of social/racial injustice or the oppression of people of color.

Doubling down on attacking Dak for his beliefs now.  Guess everyone isn’t supportive of everyone’s rights.  
His beliefs?  He sounds to me like a guy trying to have it both ways. Saying "Yes, Master" and marching like a good soldier for Jerry, but also trying to tell his black brothers that he's stands with them. I realize he's in a tough position, but he's probably best served by just keeping his mouth shut.

Just because he plays in the NFL? I respect the right to express his opinion but being the Cowboys starting QB doesn't make him immune from criticism.

If you are going to trot out Dak as some sort of hero, it should be pointed out he has done absolutely nothing or even made any public statements before this as to any of the issues raised by the protests of social/racial injustice or the oppression of people of color.
Why should he be criticized at all?  I  am not trotting him out as a hero..just pointing out that there are many different opinions on the topic.  So you are attacking Dak because he does not agree with that form of protest..you need to try and be tolerant of others views.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Omar Suleiman, an American Muslim scholar, civil rights activist and speaker:

"The black athletes who were used to discredit Muhammad Ali were held up temporarily as heroes only to be forgotten in history. Dak being used as a prop against Kaepernick standing next to his owner is embarrassing, yet predictable"
What’s the basis for saying that Dak Prescott is being used as a prop? Is the suggestion that Mr. Prescott hasn’t formed or isn’t expressing his own thoughts on the matter and shouldn’t be taken seriously? That seems inappropriately dismissive.

On a side note, I think it’s weird to describe Jones as Prescott’s owner rather than as the Cowboys’ owner. It’s common in sports, but still weird. If I worked for Facebook, would anyone say that Mark Zuckerberg was my owner?

His beliefs?  He sounds to me like a guy trying to have it both ways. Saying "Yes, Master" and marching like a good soldier for Jerry, but also trying to tell his black brothers that he's stands with them. I realize he's in a tough position, but he's probably best served by just keeping his mouth shut.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Does Omar play football for a living?   Plus Dak is half white as is Kappy.
I don't get that argument. What does the percentage of African American blood have to do with this? If you are not 100% black or of mixed race, then you can't speak out about racism or discrimination against black people or other minorities?

I don't believe that Kaepernick should be taken less seriously in his kneeling protest because he is "half white".

I don't get that argument. What does the percentage of African American blood have to do with this? If you are not 100% black or of mixed race, then you can't speak out about racism or discrimination against black people or other minorities?

I don't believe that Kaepernick should be taken less seriously in his kneeling protest because he is "half white".
So you support Kappy for doing what he believes is correct..but you don`t support Dak for doing the exact same thing? Puzzling at best...intolerant at worst.

So you support Kappy for doing what he believes is correct..but you don`t support Dak for doing the exact same thing? Puzzling at best...intolerant at worst.
That makes absolutely no sense and is irrelevant and non-responsive to what I said and the questions I asked:

5 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Does Omar play football for a living?   Plus Dak is half white as is Kappy.
2 hours ago, squistion said:

What does Kaep or Dak's mixed race heritage have to do with the anthem kneeling protest or speaking out against it? You keep repeatedly calling them half white which has absolutely nothing to do with the Kaep's anthem protest or Dak's stance against it.

That makes absolutely no sense and is irrelevant and non-responsive to what I said and the questions I asked:

What does Kaep or Dak's mixed race heritage have to do with the anthem kneeling protest or speaking out against it? You keep repeatedly calling them half white which has absolutely nothing to do with the Kaep's anthem protest or Dak's stance against it.
Stop deflecting.  You brought race into this discussion yet again in reference to Prescott when you posted:

"The black athletes who were used to discredit Muhammad Ali were held up temporarily as heroes only to be forgotten in history. Dak being used as a prop against Kaepernick standing next to his owner is embarrassing, yet predictable"

You also tried to insinuate that his stance is based on his contract/salary as if he isn't allowed to think for himself and take whatever stance he wants.   

Stop deflecting.  You brought race into this discussion yet again in reference to Prescott when you posted:

You also tried to insinuate that his stance is based on his contract/salary as if he isn't allowed to think for himself and take whatever stance he wants.   
I am not deflecting. I still want to know what the percentage of African American blood Dak and Kaep have, as anything to do with this discussion. Could you please explain why being "half white" rather than 75% black or 100% black is relevant to anything either Dak or Kaep have said or done?

The quote was talking about black athletes being used to discredit Muhammad Ali. Dak and Kaep are both considered black athletes by most observers and I have no idea why being of mixed race is relevant to anything that has been discussed in this thread. Dak is being held up by many conservative media outlets (see Fox News) as some sort of hero for speaking out against Kaep and the protests, so it is analogous to what happened to Ali.

I do believe his stance is motivated by his thinking ahead to his second contract. That doesn't mean I believe that he isn't allowed to think or speak for himself. Of course he is free to take whatever public stance that he wants and I am sure is fully allowed to do so by Jerry Jones - but the downside is that Jones may not elect to resign him in two years if he doesn't publically and enthusiastically back Jones stance on the Anthem.

I am not deflecting. I still want to know what the percentage of African American blood Dak and Kaep have, as anything to do with this discussion. Could you please explain why being "half white" rather than 75% black or 100% black is relevant to anything either Dak or Kaep have said or done?

The quote was talking about black athletes being used to discredit Muhammad Ali. Dak and Kaep are both considered black athletes by most observers and I have no idea why being of mixed race is relevant to anything that has been discussed in this thread. Dak is being held up by many conservative media outlets (see Fox News) as some sort of hero for speaking out against Kaep and the protests, so it is analogous to what happened to Ali.

I do believe his stance is motivated by his thinking ahead to his second contract. That doesn't mean I believe that he isn't allowed to think or speak for himself. Of course he is free to take whatever public stance that he wants and I am sure if fully allowed to do so by Jerry Jones - but the downside is that Jones may not elect to resign him in two years if he doesn't publically and enthusiastically back Jones stance on the Anthem.
I didn’t bring race into this so I’m not answering questions of things I didn’t say.  

I don’t know why you consider a guy that is half white a “black athlete”.  Does it round up to black when it’s 50/50?  Why does it even matter?

I didn’t bring race into this so I’m not answering questions of things I didn’t say.  

I don’t know why you consider a guy that is half white a “black athlete”.  Does it round up to black when it’s 50/50?  Why does it even matter?
It doesn't, but perhaps you should direct your question to this guy who keeps bringing up so he must think it does matter.

3 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Dak is half white.
And if you don't consider Kaep or Dak as being black athletes, well, OK. I am not sure how to respond to that outside of that we must have different visual perceptions (maybe it like that dress photo where some saw a white/gold dress, others black/blue).

However Kaep has talked about being discriminated against growing up because he was perceived as being black (which is what really counts, not what your racial percentage mixture is) and Dak while calling himself mixed race, said this in one interview:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-cowboys-dak-prescott-20170110-story.html

"I was put in all those different situations. I've been in situations where I was the only black guy."

It doesn't, but perhaps you should direct your question to this guy who keeps bringing up so he must think it does matter.

And if you don't consider Kaep or Dak as being black athletes, well, OK. I am not sure how to respond to that outside of that we must have different visual perceptions (maybe it like that dress photo where some saw a white/gold dress, others black/blue).

However Kaep has talked about being discriminated against growing up because he was perceived as being black (which is what really counts, not what your racial percentage mixture is) and Dak while calling himself mixed race, said this in one interview:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-cowboys-dak-prescott-20170110-story.html

"I was put in all those different situations. I've been in situations where I was the only black guy."
You made the post about black athletes and brought race here yet again.  I don’t care what race someone is who stands, sits, kneels or whatever.  

You bring race into everything. Forget that they are both half white...Dak is his own man so you should respect him for his stance regardless of what it is..he is not controlled by Kappy or Omar.  Dak feels that standing for the NA is the right thing to do...so be it.

You bring race into everything. Forget that they are both half white...Dak is his own man so you should respect him for his stance regardless of what it is..he is not controlled by Kappy or Omar.  Dak feels that standing for the NA is the right thing to do...so be it.
How can we forget it when you have brought it up repeatedly in this thread? If you want us to forget they are half white, then stop mentioning it. Very simple

There was no mention of half white until you brought up race talking about black athletes.
Dak Prescott by attacking the Anthem protests was attacking those who participated in them (which were like 95% black athletes) and this was considered similar to the attack by black athletes of Mohammad Ali to discredit him by suggesting that even black people didn't support him.

The half white references by Da Guru was in response to that and neither he, nor you nor anyone else has been able to explain why the percentage of African American blood either Dak or Kaep have, has anything to do with the legitimacy of the issues they have raised.

How do you get there from this?
"I respect what all those guys believe in," Prescott said. "If they believe it's going to make a change and it's going to make a difference then power to them. "
Dak Prescott:

"I will never protest during the national anthem, and I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so

Okay, but so I understand your position, what do you think his obligation is to those protesting players  if it is contrary to his views? (And, for these purposes, can we just stipulate that it is his real belied and he isn't supporting Jones to get a contract?)

How can we forget it when you have brought it up repeatedly in this thread? If you want us to forget they are half white, then stop mentioning it. Very simple
Not us..you. 

Because you posted a comment about black athletes. Technically he is not black. He is half white half black.   Do you support Dak for being his own man and speaking up as to why?

Not us..you. 

Because you posted a comment about black athletes. Technically he is not black. He is half white half black.   Do you support Dak for being his own man and speaking up as to why?
:sigh:

So technically he can't speak out, as one who is only half white and half black, instead of being 100% black on minority issues?

Do you really want to go there?

Are his anthem protests not illegitimate because he is half black? We can only hear from 100% black people (whatever that is) on this issue. Really?

:sigh:

So technically he can't speak out, as one who is only half white and half black, instead of being 100% black on minority issues?

Do you really want to go there?

Are his anthem protests not illegitimate because he is half black? We can only hear from100% black people (whatever that is) on this issue. Really?
Anybody can speak out and Dak has.  Do you support Dak for being his own man and having his own opinions on the topic or not?

Do you support Dak for being his own man and having his own opinions on the topic or not?
Of course, but that has absolutely nothing to do with his racial mixture of 20% 40% 60% 75% 81% 91% 100% being black (and how exactly does anyone call someone 100% black?).

I just want to comment about “black athletes being used to discredit Muhammad Ali”: yes that happened. But in the most famous case of it, Joe Frazier in 1969, it was just as much the other way around. It was Ali who cast Frazier in the role of “Uncle Tom”. Frazier got angry and started calling him Clay, which brought many white conservatives at the time to his side, but that wasn’t his intent. Frazier was mistreated by Ali, and in fact by many liberals who supported Ali. 

Do you support Dak for being his own man and having his own opinions on the topic or not?
Of course, but that has absolutely nothing to do with his racial mixture of 20% 40% 60% 75% 81% 91% 100% being black (and how exactly does anyone call someone 100% black?).
It kind of seemed like Omar Suleiman was implying that Prescott shouldn't have spoken up precisely because he is black.

I just want to comment about “black athletes being used to discredit Muhammad Ali”: yes that happened. But in the most famous case of it, Joe Frazier in 1969, it was just as much the other way around. It was Ali who cast Frazier in the role of “Uncle Tom”. Frazier got angry and started calling him Clay, which brought many white conservatives at the time to his side, but that wasn’t his intent. Frazier was mistreated by Ali, and in fact by many liberals who supported Ali. 
It really did not matter what the white folks thought....Ali tried to humiliate and degrade Joe Frazier to the black community by calling him and portraying him as an "Uncle Tom" when in reality Joe was just a hard working boxer/man trying to better himself and his family.  Frazier was an easy target because he did not have the gift of gab that Ali possessed.

Ali did see the mistake of his ways in his later years and apologized to Frazier multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread