What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

Fair enough.  I just don't think turning your back on the country you're trying to improve is the way to go about it.  What happened to doing positive things to promote change?  I don't know.  I'm entirely frustrated with the current racial climate in this country so I'm probably better off just commenting on WDIS threads. :)
Not standing for the national anthem before a stupid football game is not turning your back on your country.  Not even close.

Why do they even play the national anthem before sporting events?  We don't do it before movies, we don't do it at conferences, we dont do it at the start of a factory shift.

Not standing for the national anthem before a stupid football game is not turning your back on your country.  Not even close.

Why do they even play the national anthem before sporting events?  We don't do it before movies, we don't do it at conferences, we dont do it at the start of a factory shift.
First they get rid of the pledge of allegiance now you want to get rid of the national anthem.  What's this world coming to? ;)

the guy is an idiot and I really don't understand why anyone would care what he says or what he thinks.  
Isn't he a guy that comes from an upper class family that is a thug wannabe?   Sounds like he's just looking for street cred from the black community. 

First they get rid of the pledge of allegiance now you want to get rid of the national anthem.  What's this world coming to? ;)
LOL.  No I want to get rid of chest thumping patriotism that is in fact not patriotism at all.  We feel the need to do these things because our actual patriotic acts are so few and so weak.

Isn't he a guy that comes from an upper class family that is a thug wannabe?   Sounds like he's just looking for street cred from the black community. 
have no idea about his upbringing but just the things I've heard over the years that he's not a good worker, walks around the locker room with his headphones on all the time, basically just a punk and not well liked by teammates.  

I'm convinced that part of it has to do with setting the stage.  It's a universally accepted lead-in.

But they do it ... so you honor it.

the guy is an idiot and I really don't understand why anyone would care what he says or what he thinks.  
No one does care. This idiot was privileged from the word go. And has two white parents. That's why he goes overboard trying to show he's black. He realizes his days are numbered as far as being a known person in pop culture. A one trick pony quarterback on the verge of being out of the league. So he's trying to make headlines. And he succeeded. I doubt he counted on the backlash.  Some of the Facebook and Twitter memes are hilarious. He's become a laughing stock.

He had a sweet Fidel Castro shirt on in the post game as well.  Think he has any idea who he is or what oppression actually means?
This is all you need to know......he reminds me of an impressionistic college kid who's getting a buncha progressive "head in the clouds" garbage forced down his throat.......dudes an idiot who has no idea how the world works.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one does care. This idiot was privileged from the word go. And has two white parents. That's why he goes overboard trying to show he's black. He realizes his days are numbered as far as being a known person in pop culture. A one trick pony quarterback on the verge of being out of the league. So he's trying to make headlines. And he succeeded. I doubt he counted on the backlash.  Some of the Facebook and Twitter memes are hilarious. He's become a laughing stock.
We seem to care.  A lot of time and attention are being spent on this.  If we didn't care, this thread would be empty.

Exposure is important.  It would be foolish to eschew it.
I certainly am not saying that from an exposure standpoint, he picked an improper medium.  If that was his sole concern, it was a very smart play.  I don't have to like it though. 

This is all you need to know......he reminds me of an impressionistic college kid who's getting a buncha progressive "head in the clouds" garbage forced down his throat.......dudes an idiot who has no idea how the world works.
This is exactly the kind of moron who should ride along as an honorary police officer in one of these bad areas and see how the real world works. He'd be curled up in a ball in the backseat after a half hour.

I certainly am not saying that from an exposure standpoint, he picked an improper medium.  If that was his sole concern, it was a very smart play.  I don't have to like it though. 
Pretty sure the only thing he's trying to 'expose' is the name Colin Kaepernick.

He thought it would make him some kind of hero in the black community.
So are you saying that black people are ok with not standing for the anthem and white people are not?  Where do Indians, Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, Vietnamese Americans, and Korean Americans come down on this issue?

So are you saying that black people are ok with not standing for the anthem and white people are not?  Where do Indians, Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, Vietnamese Americans, and Korean Americans come down on this issue?
I would think the BLM-types of black people think he's the man. But I bet the well-to-do black people, that he grew up with are rolling their eyes.

gb the boards quote function failures.

True, and most of the outrage is still being focused on the police rather than the laws/courts that are protecting them from facing consequences for their actions. When I first heard about what CK did I was miffed but then I read his full post game interview transcript and my perception of who is and why he did it changed.
The courts?  Are we supposed to be outraged at juries now because they return verdicts that some don't like?  Guilty until proven innocent?

So how does the world work? Enlighten us all on what measures should be taken to a stand against a major problem facing society.

So how does the world work? Enlighten us all on what measures should be taken to a stand against a major problem facing society.
I'll give it a go...

Black, white, yellow, or brown...don't break the law. That will be a great start. If you get pulled over by a police officer, whether guilty of anything or not, be respectful, keep your hands in view, and don't resist.   If everyone followed these simple tips, you'd see a near disappearance of said problem.

Perhaps Martin Luther Kaepernick can make that suggestion at his next presser.

Exposure is important.  It would be foolish to eschew it.
Now the whole team has the exposure though.  He's dragging them all into this huge distraction whether they like it or not.  It's incredibly self-centered and immature.

I'll give it a go...

Black, white, yellow, or brown...don't break the law. That will be a great start. If you get pulled over by a police officer, whether guilty of anything or not, be respectful, keep your hands in view, and don't resist.   If everyone followed these simple tips, you'd see a near disappearance of said problem.

Perhaps Martin Luther Kaepernick can make that suggestion at his next presser.
Also, attacking and/or trying to take the officer's firearm can be hazardous to your health.

Turn off the news......that's a good start......and since we can't tune it all out, question what you are being fed.

Racism is never going to completely go away, but its made to seem much worse by the media.....then you get this mob mentality which is just as bad.

hmm http://www.cleveland.com/solon/index.ssf/2016/08/solon_police_identify_man_char.html

I find this interesting, especially the bolded

SOLON, Ohio – Solon police have identified the North Ridgeville man accused of fatally shooting a woman after their two vehicles crashed at a busy intersection.

Matthew Ryan Desha, 29, of North Ridgeville, is charged with murder in the death of Deborah Pearl, police said.

He will appear Monday in Bedford Municipal Court.

Pearl, 53, of Twinsburg, died Saturday after Desha shot her with a 5.56-millimeter rifle, police said. 

Officers arrested Desha at the scene without incident.

Pearl left home Saturday morning to head to work at South East Harley Davidson in Bedford Heights, her son told cleveland.com. 

Desha ran a red light just after 7:20 a.m. on Solon Road and hit Pearl's Ford Taurus at the intersection of Richmond Road. The impact pushed Pearl's car several feet east onto Solon Road. Desha's Jeep flipped several times and landed on its roof about 50 feet from Pearl's car, police said.

Witnesses said Desha exited his car with a rifle. One witnesses told cleveland.com that Pearl had her hands in the air when Desha shot her several times.

Officers found Pearl lying in the roadway. She died after paramedics took her to University Hospitals Bedford Medical Center, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office said.

Investigators have not released a motive for the shooting.

So white guy with rifle just kills another motorist and police are able to arrest him without incident? 

That doesn't appear to be a guaranteeof a good outcome.
This is the mentality that I think is SOOO flawed.  There's no guarantee that my 9 yr old's teacher isn't going to assault or abuse her (verbally or otherwise). There's no guarantee that the steel worker on the bridge under construction over the Ohio River into Louisville isn't on crack one day and forgets to weld 100 rivets. There's no guarantee that the Secretary of State isn't a moron that hands our secure documents willy nilly.  There's <1% of each and every damn profession in this country (and around the world) that are complete turds. Cops are no exception.  I'll agree that there needs to be better oversight to weed those ####bags out of the force, but to pretend that there is some huge conspiracy where "cops" are all out there each day racial profiling (instead of acknowledging that the statistic overwhelmingly will show you that it's all a numbers game; more crime, more interactions with POC's = more interactions that go bad) is ignorant.

Oh, and there's also <1% of NFL players that are complete turds....I give you exhibit A, CK.

This is the mentality that I think is SOOO flawed.  There's no guarantee that my 9 yr old's teacher isn't going to assault or abuse her (verbally or otherwise). There's no guarantee that the steel worker on the bridge under construction over the Ohio River into Louisville isn't on crack one day and forgets to weld 100 rivets. There's no guarantee that the Secretary of State isn't a moron that hands our secure documents willy nilly.  There's <1% of each and every damn profession in this country (and around the world) that are complete turds. Cops are no exception.  I'll agree that there needs to be better oversight to weed those ####bags out of the force, but to pretend that there is some huge conspiracy where "cops" are all out there each day racial profiling (instead of acknowledging that the statistic overwhelmingly will show you that it's all a numbers game; more crime, more interactions with POC's = more interactions that go bad) is ignorant.

Oh, and there's also <1% of NFL players that are complete turds....I give you exhibit A, CK.
We expect more of the police than we do of our 9 year old daughters teacher or the construction worker on the Ohio River. 

We expect more of the police than we do of our 9 year old daughters or the construction worker on the Ohio River. 
.... reading comprehension down....DOWN for the count! You shooting for the bottom 1% of internet board posters, arentcha?

Because the NFL and his team's owner have both confirmed it?
Has nothing to do with the quote I posted. He said, and I quote:

"And why is bringing politics into sports a problem? Because they have a stage due to their athleticism? The notion that someone has to keep their opinions to themselves due to their salary or notoriety is always going to be wrong IMO.  "

He is implying Kap shouldn't have to keep his opinion to himself just because he's famous and in the public light, rather that he should be treated like everyone else. The point is, if he WAS treated like EVERYONE else, there's a very good chance he'd be out of a job.

MMQB's Albert Breer believes there's a "realistic possibility" the 49ers put Colin Kaepernick "on ice" for all of the 2016 season.
In doing so, the 49ers would protect themselves from Kaepernick potentially injuring himself, which would then result in Kap unlocking more guaranteed money in his contract if he suffers a severe injury. It would also mean Kaepernick wouldn't dress on game days, which wouldn't allow him to visibly protest anymore National Anthems. The Niners can save $16.9 million against the cap next offseason by designating Kap as a post-June 1 cut. In the "icing" scenario, rookie Jeff Driskel would likely serve as Blaine Gabbert's backup to open the year.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 
Aug 29 - 8:01 PM

The hypocrisy of those against Kap who claim to love America is quite comedic. Jackie Robinson did not stand for the Anthem... what change did that action invoke? I'll wait for the obvious response. Now we retire his number and give him a special day, but remember the slack a black man who didnt stand for the anthem back then caught? I bet they looked like the ones getting on Kap now. This is why those against rights are ignorant to what America is about. Amazed people claim to love and respect America but are angered over a person using the rights they are afforded. The real disrespect is the action of hypocrisy. Ironic huh? I love when people try to act like they are good people when they look self righteous and hypocritical in the process.

Jackie Robinson - “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag”

Users who are viewing this thread