What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Verizon data issue (1 Viewer)

Courtjester

The Town Drunk
Okay, not sure how to play this one. We have been long time Verizon subscribers since 2008 (cue this as where the thread should end I imagine), but over the last year it seems like I am being squeezed by these guys.

Currently, we have 4 lines--all Iphones--now on a 16GB plan. Last year we were 3 Iphones on an 8 gb plan, but I got my 12 year old daughter her iphone and we expanded it up to a 10gb to allow for her data usage. As a few months passed, we were going over all the time, so went up to a 12gb plan--looking over our data usage, we never ever came close to this number in a month. A few months go by and magically all our data usage continues to rise--so I go up to their next tier 16gb (again a level we never ever came close to sniffing before) and things are great.

Today, I get the notification we are almost out of data and we still have 8 days to go on this plan.

Now,, I am a WIFI nazi, I make sure my 17/12 year old daughters are always on the WIFI here at home with Comcast, but their reported usage is getting thru the roof. Reviewing current usage--Oldest daughter is at 8gb in 20 days. 12 year old is at 5gb--wife and I are at less than 2gb combined. So easy solution right? Just tell these darn kids to cut down. However, it is not that simple, I begin looking at our usage this month and there are patterns--my 17 year old daughter (who always goes to bed fairly early) is getting hit with significant data usage at 2:00 am and she purposefully shuts down her phone before bed. There is also a pattern on two of our lines---data usage at 12:41 am--then the next day data usage 12:41 pm--then data usage 12:42 am the following day. This repeats but then at different times. Oldest girl is tech savy and has all the obvious data saving efforts in place--eliminating the auto play videos on some sites, closing out apps, etc. 

But here is the interesting thing, my wife shuts her phone down completely at night and yet, she got hit with data usage at 3:00 am the last two nights in a row, I leave my phone on and I got hit with data usage at 4:00 am this morning. Now these are not big numbers, but when you add up the nickle and dimes from this usage, they push us up. I called Verizon and they gave me some long story about how sometime data get delayed in reporting and thus the 3:00 am times. I will add I purposefully have all the app auto-updates off on our phones. 

Again easy solution is go unlimited, but I don't want to give them more money after them squeezing us for the past 12 months or so,. My bill is $330 now and the other downfall is I lose my government discount of 18% on the unlimited plan so a bill around $375 is what we are facing. 

Two phone are paid for--another one is close, but I still have one year on the youngest, so switching companies isn't an option for a bit. Searching for this problem I see a ton of people reporting this exact same thing and advocating a class action. Some of them are reporting they purposefully shut their phone off for a week completely and still got hit for 1gb of data used.

Anyone else have Verizon and experiencing this?

My girlfriend was getting hit with high data usage at Verizon randomly a few months ago. Make sure their phones are not backing up data at a ridiculous rate. Some how her settings got switched to hourly. You did say they turn off their phones so maybe not. Just an idea.

Last month I noticed my wife was using alot of data which sure never does. Turns out she had navigation on for a long car ride. That sucked up gigs of data.

That would drive me nuts.

Is there anything out of the ordinary when you look at the amount of data used by application?

HOW do you check on when (time) data is being used? 
One way is to sign in on the myverizon website, go into "My Usage", choose the line you want to look at, and where it tells you how much total you've used, click "See details."

Same exact thing happened to me about a year ago. Had 12 gigs and they said its cheaper with new plan to get 16gig. Never used more than 10 gigs a month. 2 weeks in was at 12 so I called and got the same bs and stuff about how apps have updated and use more data.

Other thing that has happened is when one of our phones I near the 2 yr old end of contract and upgrade us available, it suddenly acts up for about a week. Has happened on several phones. Just wait it out and it should go away. Also once out of contract that price ahould go down to 20- a month for the phone line charge.

One way is to sign in on the myverizon website, go into "My Usage", choose the line you want to look at, and where it tells you how much total you've used, click "See details."
Yep and it shows this small random data leakage on the lines---stuff you wouldn't   normally notice unless you got into the specifics of the usage. .02 here--.006 one is .342. . This is consistent with what many are reporting.

The circulated theory is Verizon's new data checking meter actually uses some small data. That explains the regular 12 hour usage I am seeing. .23 or .09 isn't much but do that across 4 phones every 12 hours over 30 days  and it adds up. 

Yes, I have experienced similar strange data usages with Verizon.  We have 3 phones (mine and 2 kids) on a 10 GB plan.  We have not shot past our limit, but we have been close on a few occasions which prompted me to look at the usage more closely.  I saw a lot of odd hours...middle of the night, during school, etc...  It hasn't become a problem since we have not exceeded our plan, but I have definitely seen strange stuff.  

Yep and it shows this small random data leakage on the lines---stuff you wouldn't   normally notice unless you got into the specifics of the usage. .02 here--.006 one is .342. . This is consistent with what many are reporting.

The circulated theory is Verizon's new data checking meter actually uses some small data. That explains the regular 12 hour usage I am seeing. .23 or .09 isn't much but do that across 4 phones every 12 hours over 30 days  and it adds up. 
Ugh.  I haven't looked at mine in a long time until now, and when I have, it was usually just my own and not the rest of my family's.  Turns out my wife's iphone has those kind of numbers every 12 hours, though typically 0.04 or less.  My Note has them, but they're only 0.00001 each time. My son's S8 is a little more than mine (but not much) and my daughter's iphone has numbers closer to my wife's (though not quite as high).  

I wonder why the difference between the iphones and the samsungs?  I have to make sure they aren't from sending diagnostics to apple or something...

More great news for us Verizon customers - 

OMG I can't c+p on my phone for some reason.

Verizon breached.

"Yesterday, Cybersecurity company UpGuard announced that a misconfigured cloud-based data repository exposed the personal data of millions of Verizon customers who had called Verizon customer support during the past six months. The exposed data included customer names, street and email addresses, phone numbers and PINs. The PIN exposure is especially troubling. If you called Verizon customer support this year, you should change your PIN immediately. This is especially true if you use your Verizon PIN to access other accounts."

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing to consider is that their reports are inaccurate, specifically regarding the dates and times of data usage.  I'm guessing that's unlikely, but perhaps the data is showing usage for a different time zone.  You could determine that through a simple test: for a few days straight, stream some video to your phone right before you turn it off and make sure to turn it off at the same exact time each day.  When you wake up, stream some video to your phone.  After a few days, check the reports and see if you can find any time period that would show your phone as being turned off.  If you can find it but for the wrong period of time, then you know their reports have you in a different time zone.  If you can't find it at all, then you know something else is up.

Get one of those apps that track all the other apps data usage. More important that knowing when the data is being used is knowing which apps are using it.

https://www.boom.us/networks
The $44.99 a month plan with 5 GB could be good for the kids?

https://www.ecomobile.com/
Another option....

You will have to buy out your contract, but it might be worth it (~$150 per month vs $330 per month)

The only difference is there to check out the coverage area in NH. I know in MO that there is an area about 45 miles north of STL owned by US Cellular and they don't play nice with Verizon prepay coverage (which is what these MVNOs have for now), but you have LTE access everywhere. You will have to manage/replace your phones as needed/desired, but they do sell them.

If it will work for you, great, if not, nothing lost.

Somehow my email app (TypeApp) used 1.2GB of data this month. That seems impossible.

This is the second straight month that I'm on the verge of going over on data.

Strange things are certainly afoot at the Circle K.

Funny, my wife and I seem to go over almost every month too.

No way we use 12GB just the 2 of us.

Somethings fishy

Somehow my email app (TypeApp) used 1.2GB of data this month. That seems impossible.

This is the second straight month that I'm on the verge of going over on data.

Strange things are certainly afoot at the Circle K.
Is it backing up your inbox to the cloud maybe?

My guess is Location Data. I turn it off for every app except those that need it when running. Tell family members not to leave Maps, for example, running in the background when they're done with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread