What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (5 Viewers)

Really like John Grisham and Greg Iles. And, back in the day, William Faulkner. Any state that can produce novelists like that can’t be all bad. 

On the minus side, there is the Manning family: Archie, Peyton, and Eli....

Really like John Grisham and Greg Iles. And, back in the day, William Faulkner. Any state that can produce novelists like that can’t be all bad. 

Eli and Peyton were born in New Orleans. 

Progressives/Bernie fans aren't gonna like this, but there's a pretty good case to be made that the DCCC's strategizing and interference with primary races won several extra House races for the Dems, including multiple seats in California and one in suburban Houston.  This article details the effort. 

A longer version of the article also had this passage, which I thought was interesting:

Anyway, excuse me while I run for cover before some of our angrier progressive posters check in.
That's a far cry from putting your thumb on the scales for a particular candidate for President. Organization and cohesive strategy/tactics are important, but needs to stop short of playing favorites with who runs.

Michigan's lame duck Senate  saw a lot of GOP spots lost to Democrats as well as an anti-gerrymandering prop pass that will no longer allow GOP to control districts (Michigan like other States sees Democrats get more votes but consistently be the minority party). So in an act of last minute revenge, the lame duck Senate is passing all kinds of questionable bills. There was a big anti-teachers union bill, a bill will directly complicate one of the campaign promises of our new Democratic Governor to stop another oil pipeline from being bullt in the Great Lakes. They passed a bill to further protect dark monety for campaign contributions and another which severely limits the AG (new one will be a Democrat) from investigating fraudulent charities. They also voted to lower minimum wage for tipped workers and delay any talks of a minimum wage increase for all workers to 2030. 

Also they have a wonderful law already in place that grants Democratic Congress members about half the amount of money for staff/expenditures as Republicans get. 

I can not stand these ####ers. 

Not cool.
Perhaps not, but it worked. And they were right- if they'd buried that article about her saying she'd rather have her teeth pulled than move back to Texas it definitely would have been found its way into her opponent's hands during the general campaign and likely cost the Dems the seat.

This is admittedly the most extreme case of the recent cycle, though. I don't think that should be regular practice. I just thought it was interesting that the much-maligned DCCC actually did a good job not just in running the national campaign but also when they strategized at the district level.

Perhaps not, but it worked. And they were right- if they'd buried that article about her saying she'd rather have her teeth pulled than move back to Texas it definitely would have been found its way into her opponent's hands during the general campaign and likely cost the Dems the seat.

This is admittedly the most extreme case of the recent cycle, though. I don't think that should be regular practice. I just thought it was interesting that the much-maligned DCCC actually did a good job not just in running the national campaign but also when they strategized at the district level.
Valid point. Still find it unsavory. I'll never be a politician. I can see the need for pragmatism, but I'm still too idealistic.

Just read this #### by the GOP in Michigan

Basically some paid sick leave requirements have been eliminated and the minimum wage increase to $12 has been pushed back 8 years. 

The changes are big revisions to initiatives that legislators adopted in September after proponents gathered hundreds of thousands of signatures from Michigan voters. And they were hurried through in hours after the revisions were first publicly released Wednesday morning in a committee meeting, even though lawmakers have several weeks to adopt legislation before it dies at the end of the two-year term...
Senate Minority Leader Jim Ananich, D-Flint, who voted against the measures, said he saw them for the first time Wednesday morning.

Good news is the organization behind the Initiative is suing citing a case where a judge ruled a legislature can not adopt and amend a citizen initiative in the same legislative session. 

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:

You cannot name a state with a better QB/RB/WR trio.

Apparently Michigan’s lame duck GOP Congress doesn’t give a #### about what the voters think. We just voted 67% in favor of a proposal to expand voters rights and make it easier to vote.

GOP has put forward a bill to scale it back.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2018/11/30/michigan-republicans-are-now-trying-to-gut-recently-approved-voting-rights-expansion

This is after they screwed the people over on minimum wage. Michigan citizens had collected enough signatures to get a minimum wage proposal on the ballot so the GOP prevented voters from getting to vote on it by passing the proposal as legislation. Sounds great except without any notice or discussion, they just amended it to delay the increase to 2020.

Apparently Michigan’s lame duck GOP Congress doesn’t give a #### about what the voters think. We just voted 67% in favor of a proposal to expand voters rights and make it easier to vote.

GOP has put forward a bill to scale it back.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2018/11/30/michigan-republicans-are-now-trying-to-gut-recently-approved-voting-rights-expansion

This is after they screwed the people over on minimum wage. Michigan citizens had collected enough signatures to get a minimum wage proposal on the ballot so the GOP prevented voters from getting to vote on it by passing the proposal as legislation. Sounds great except without any notice or discussion, they just amended it to delay the increase to 2020.
Wisconsin legislatures are planning on rolling back the powers they gave the Governor, Walker, when he took office in 2010. Why? Because a Dem governor is coming in. So corrupt and so stupid. There are other words to use but how the GOP is justifying it in Wisconsin is a mental gymnastic game that Nadia Comaneci would be in awe of.

Wisconsin legislatures are planning on rolling back the powers they gave the Governor, Walker, when he took office in 2010. Why? Because a Dem governor is coming in. So corrupt and so stupid. There are other words to use but how the GOP is justifying it in Wisconsin is a mental gymnastic game that Nadia Comaneci would be in awe of.
Yeah I saw that as well. Total ####birds.

Neera Tanden‏Verified account @neeratanden

FollowFollow @neeratanden

More

It seems a Republican campaign went to the houses of older Democrats, claimed to be officials, took their absentee ballots and got rid of them. The Republican “won” by 900 votes. It’s 2018. Every major newspaper should be on that story. #NC9

6:18 AM - 1 Dec 2018

Wat?
Yes, and how often has it happened?  That's what I want to know.

More

It seems a Republican campaign went to the houses of older Democrats, claimed to be officials, took their absentee ballots and got rid of them. The Republican “won” by 900 votes. It’s 2018. Every major newspaper should be on that story. #NC9

Wat?
Is a Do-Over Election Incoming? North Carolina Republicans Alleged to Have Committed Major Voter Fraud

Holy hell these are some strong allegations. The evidence points to a stolen election. 

More

Wat?
I want to see more written on this and more proof because it is a major claim. 

I know there a lot of coasters on here and you need to know:  this shady shuckster GOP crew that has been running the midwest and great plains for the last 10 years/so has been bad. So ### #### bad. 

These twats are totally shameless - Fitzgerald and Vos. What power they have is mostly due to gerrymandering. This legislation they’re pushing on Tuesday is truly appalling. 
And Michigan just approved a huge anti-gerrymandering proposal. It can be a game changer for democracy. 

Is a Do-Over Election Incoming? North Carolina Republicans Alleged to Have Committed Major Voter Fraud

Holy hell these are some strong allegations. The evidence points to a stolen election. 
If true, that is so freaking messed up.  Democracy isn’t in such good shape in some parts of the country. 👎🏼

This was interesting/disturbing:

“In seven of the eight counties in the 9th District, for example, McCready won a lopsided majority of the mailed-in absentee ballots. But not in Bladen County. There, Republican Mark Harris won 61 percent even though registered Republicans accounted for only 19 percent of the county’s accepted absentee ballots. Unaffiliated voters accounted for 39 percent.

According to Catawba College political scientist Michael Bitzer, this would mean that “each and every one of those unaffiliated voters [in Bladen County]” voted for Harris. Such a result, Bitzer notes, would be “astonishing” but is exceedingly unlikely absent “something else.””

If true, that is so freaking messed up.  Democracy isn’t in such good shape in some parts of the country. 👎🏼

This was interesting/disturbing:

“In seven of the eight counties in the 9th District, for example, McCready won a lopsided majority of the mailed-in absentee ballots. But not in Bladen County. There, Republican Mark Harris won 61 percent even though registered Republicans accounted for only 19 percent of the county’s accepted absentee ballots. Unaffiliated voters accounted for 39 percent.

According to Catawba College political scientist Michael Bitzer, this would mean that “each and every one of those unaffiliated voters [in Bladen County]” voted for Harris. Such a result, Bitzer notes, would be “astonishing” but is exceedingly unlikely absent “something else.””
How would they be able to prove anything? What are the chances that any of these old people have the slightest bit of evidence that someone took their ballot?

[scooter] said:
How would they be able to prove anything? What are the chances that any of these old people have the slightest bit of evidence that someone took their ballot?
That is what I’m wondering, too.  I think we can see that there’s something going on statistically, which lends credence to the claims, but they’re going to need some hard proof.  Considering the election board would not certify, I have to imagine they have something more than just claims. Personally, seeing what has been pulled in NC recently, I tend to believe the claim. Messed up...

CletiusMaximus said:
These twats are totally shameless - Fitzgerald and Vos. What power they have is mostly due to gerrymandering. This legislation they’re pushing on Tuesday is truly appalling. 
I am embarrassed that I live in Vos' district, and why he has the power he does is amazing.  The political maneuvering is amazing and how they pull all this off while thinking they are representing everyone in the state is laughable. 

[scooter] said:
There are affadavits saying so.

On Thursday, Channel 9 obtained several affidavits out of Bladen County, voicing concerns about how the congressional election in November was handled.

Witnesses who signed the affidavits claimed a known player in the county’s political circles and an electioneer was also working for the campaign of Republican Mark Harris.

One of those sworn affidavits claims that man, Leslie McCrae Dowless, Jr., would receive a $40,000 bonus from the Harris campaign if Harris defeated Democrat Dan McCready.

“People hire him to work their campaigns for them to get the votes to get them elected,” said Dwight Sheppard, a registered Democrat, who was one of several people who signed sworn statements.
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/sworn-affidavits-allege-us-house-district-9-election-was-mishandled/880454598

And?  There obviously has to be a deadline for receiving ballots.
Sure.  But 7 PM on Election Day seems unreasonable.  Why not let people postmark ballots on election day and then give USPS a week to deliver them?  What benefit is there to such a strict deadline that outweighs the cost of suppressing otherwise legitimate votes?

Sure.  But 7 PM on Election Day seems unreasonable.  Why not let people postmark ballots on election day and then give USPS a week to deliver them?  What benefit is there to such a strict deadline that outweighs the cost of suppressing otherwise legitimate votes?
As long as voters are given anple warning it doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.  Most of the votes are counted on Election Day and the day after.  It makes sense for everybody to have their ballot in by that time.

As long as voters are given anple warning it doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.  Most of the votes are counted on Election Day and the day after.  It makes sense for everybody to have their ballot in by that time.
I think it's unreasonable because I literally see no good reason for such an early cut-off.  You haven't offered one- you just said it "makes sense" but haven't explained why, and even in doing so you admitted that not all of the ballots are counted on Election Day anyway.  Meanwhile there's an obvious downside to cutting them off early- it makes it harder for people to participate in our democracy.

I think it's unreasonable because I literally see no good reason for such an early cut-off.  You haven't offered one- you just said it "makes sense" but haven't explained why, and even in doing so you admitted that not all of the ballots are counted on Election Day anyway.  Meanwhile there's an obvious downside to cutting them off early- it makes it harder for people to participate in our democracy.
It’s not early.  It seems to be right on time.

I guess when you are trying to argue in favor of restricting participation in democracy this kind of meaningless, circular babbling is about the best you can muster.
:shrug:

It makes sense to me that mail-in ballots have to be in at the same time polls close.  As long as voters are given ample warning and lead time I think it’s a perfectly reasonable request.

You can call it voter suppression if you like.

And?  There obviously has to be a deadline for receiving ballots.
In a state where the vast majority of voters record their votes by election day, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect absentee voters to do the same. If you fail to mail the ballot in time, you can still make up for it by dropping off the ballot in person.

Personally, I prefer a dual deadline system (dropped off ballots must arrive by election day; mailed ballots must be postmarked by election day and must arrive within ~10 days), but I don't mind if municipalities set an earlier deadline. As long as everyone knows the rules, it's fine.

:shrug:

It makes sense to me that mail-in ballots have to be in at the same time polls close.  As long as voters are given ample warning and lead time I think it’s a perfectly reasonable request.

You can call it voter suppression if you like.
Why?  Obviously many people are reminded to vote when they see news coverage of the election shortly before/during election day.   What important reason do you have for preventing those people from voting?

In a state where the vast majority of voters record their votes by election day, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect absentee voters to do the same. If you fail to mail the ballot in time, you can still make up for it by dropping off the ballot in person.

Personally, I prefer a dual deadline system (dropped off ballots must arrive by election day; mailed ballots must be postmarked by election day and must arrive within ~10 days), but I don't mind if municipalities set an earlier deadline. As long as everyone knows the rules, it's fine.
It restricts voting because it prevents people who are reminded to vote on/just before election day from voting. It also places an artificial limit on the information absentee voters can receive- the campaigns continue until election day so why shouldn't absentee voters be allowed to account for all of the information they receive during the campaign?

Those are two good reasons to allow absenteee votes so long as they're postmarked by election day.  What good reason to do otherwise exists that outweighs those interests?

It restricts voting because it prevents people who are reminded to vote on/just before election day from voting. It also places an artificial limit on the information absentee voters can receive- the campaigns continue until election day so why shouldn't absentee voters be allowed to account for all of the information they receive during the campaign?
The flip side to your argument is that absentee voters actually get MORE reminders to vote, since they receive an official notice in the mail (in the form of their ballot).

I agree that it places an artificial time limit on the information that absentee voters can receive, but this is balanced out by benefits that regular voters do not receive -- e.g., they don't have to wait in line, they don't have to provide I.D. when they vote, and they are allowed to use the internet to do research while they are voting. Regardless, if any absentee voter is truly concerned about a time limit, they have the option of waiting until election day and dropping off their ballot in person.

And while it may not be convenient for absentee voters to drop off their ballot in person, they are given ample time to make accommodations.

California requires ballots to be postmarked by election day. That tends to work out well enough. But I guess you guys are right - more states should handle elections like Florida. 
California allows political operatives to knock on doors, collect ballots, and turn them in for people.  That’s a recipe for elderly fraud.

Every system has its pluses and minuses.

Users who are viewing this thread