What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (4 Viewers)

does the bo stand for body oder or what brohans because when i was down there it was really hot and i sweated a lot and i am sure i stunk to high hell take that to the bank 

Why do you have to do that?
It’s not intended to be a statement about Florida.  It’s a statement about where the GOP base is right now, where openly white nationalist candidates are running for office under the GOP banner.  

The reaction to the scandal is also intended to be a reflection of how the 2016 election went, where a private email server was equated with, well, a lot of other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
No,contrary to popular opinion Florida has more than a bunch of bo hick rednecks living here.
Wait, now I'm confused. It sounded like you initially objected to what @Bruce Dickinson said because he was implying that FL voters were racist. But this post seems to be agreeing with his sentiment. (Count me as another person who has no idea what "bo hick" means? Bohemian?)

Hoping I can get a reliable source for this to get the facts.
Sirota's good.  Really good.  In the interest of fairness, there was also this:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1034858050505437185
Thank you, I’ll check this out later.

Im definitely not 100% committed to Cuomo on my dem primary vote.
The investigation was postponed for six months to not interfere with the criminal prosecution.  

Cuomo asked state Attorney General Barbara Underwood to hold off on the probe to avoid unintentionally bolstering the defense’s case, according to sources familiar with the decision.
Suspending the investigation hurts Weinstein; it doesn't help him.

Hoping I can get a reliable source for this to get the facts.
Sirota's good.  Really good.  In the interest of fairness, there was also this:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1034858050505437185
Thank you, I’ll check this out later.

Im definitely not 100% committed to Cuomo on my dem primary vote.
The investigation was postponed for six months to not interfere with the criminal prosecution.  

Cuomo asked state Attorney General Barbara Underwood to hold off on the probe to avoid unintentionally bolstering the defense’s case, according to sources familiar with the decision.
Suspending the investigation hurts Weinstein; it doesn't help him.
Thank you for the info!!

Thank you for the info!!
Also from Sirota:

“Neither Mr. Boies, nor anyone from his firm, ever discussed Harvey Weinstein or Mr. Vance with Mr. Cuomo, or anyone from his office, at any time,” a spokesperson for Boies Schiller & Flexner said in an emailed statement. “Mr. Boies is a longtime supporter of Mr. Cuomo and his contribution in June was consistent with his contributions to Mr. Cuomo over years past.”

From Sirota:

After publication of this story, a spokesman for Governor Cuomo issued this statement: “The attorney general’s investigation was suspended to avoid situations in which Weinstein’s defense attorneys would be able to constantly petition the attorney general’s office for information about what they uncovered and undermine a criminal prosecution.”

Off topic, but how Boies is still accepted in polite society is beyond me. The lesson of all of the sexual-abuse scandals in recent years is that they depended upon both evil people as well as enablers of evil. That's why the careers of people like Paterno, the president of Michigan State, and (if there's any justice in this world) Jim Jordan have been ruined. Boies was arguably worse than any of those. His work on behalf of Weinstein went way beyond his ethical obligation to represent his client.

In some cases, the investigative effort was run through Weinstein’s lawyers, including David Boies, a celebrated attorney who represented Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential-election dispute and argued for marriage equality before the U.S. Supreme Court. Boies personally signed the contract directing Black Cube to attempt to uncover information that would stop the publication of a Times story about Weinstein’s abuses, while his firm was also representing the Times, including in a libel case.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/harvey-weinsteins-army-of-spies

Huh.  Didn't realize it was Boies who hired the ex-Mossad agents to defend his rapist client.  Oh well, I'm definitely taking that guy at his word, false narratives btfo.  

American Ledger‏ @Am_Ledger

BREAKING: DeSantis moderates hate-filled Facebook group that attacks African-Americans, Parkland survivors and Muslims #flgov #flpol #sayfie

UPDATE: Rep. Ron DeSantis has quit the Facebook group that trafficked in racist and offensive slurs, following American Ledger’s reporting on Wednesday. – 8:54 PM

Ron DeSantis, the Trump-endorsed congressman who won Tuesday’s GOP primary for Florida governor, is an administrator on an active Facebook group where conservatives share racist, conspiratorial and incendiary posts about a litany of targets, including black Americans and South Africans, the “deep state,” survivors of February’s massacre at a Florida high school, immigrants, Muslims and, in recent days, John McCain.

DeSantis was listed as one of the group’s 52 administrators and moderators as of Wednesday. His involvement in the group was first noted by a researcher for Media Matters for America on Tuesday.

Zephyr Teachout‏ @ZephyrTeachout

Governor Cuomo should not be interfering with an investigation once it has begun.

In late June, New York governor Andrew Cuomo quietly ordered the suspension of an ongoing investigation into whether the Manhattan District Attorney’s office had mishandled sexual-assault allegations made against Harvey Weinstein in March of 2015. As it turns out, this decision came just a few days after Weinstein’s former lawyer’s firm donated $25,000 to Cuomo’s reelection campaign, according to an illuminating new report.

According to the report, which was published on Capital & Main, Cuomo’s campaign received a $25,000 donation from Weinstein’s former laywer David Boies’s firm on June 20. On June 26, Cuomo ordered the investigation into the DA’s handling of the Weinstein case to be halted for six months — an investigation, notably, that stemmed from the fact that Boies had donated $10,000 to District Attorney Cy Vance before Vance’s office dropped the Weinstein case. (Per a letter obtained by “Page Six,” Cuomo’s justification for halting the probe was that it could potentially obstruct the criminal case against Weinstein.)

https://twitter.com/CynthiaNixon/status/1035541029313818624

False narrative really picking up steam

@michaelwhitney

the chaos of a Trump re-election presents an opportunity for transformative, radical change for our country, and there are going to be TONS of people who just want to get back to "normal," useless system. 

it's going to be an absolutely infuriating presidential campaign.

a good sign of someone who will stab you in the back to appease goldman sachs is anyone who says "what we need is a return to normalcy"

@michaelwhitney

the chaos of a Trump re-election presents an opportunity for transformative, radical change for our country, and there are going to be TONS of people who just want to get back to "normal," useless system. 

a good sign of someone who will stab you in the back to appease goldman sachs is anyone who says "what we need is a return to normalcy"
I'd never heard of Whitney, and my first reading of that tweet was that he was a Trump supporter arguing that Trump's opponents were the ones trying to "appease Goldman Sachs". But then I found his Twitter feed and realized he's a leftist arguing that we can't just go back to normal after Trump, we need to take the opportunity to fix a system that was already broken. Which I suppose is something we can argue over but IMO is largely irrelevant. Whether people want it or not, things will never go back to "normal" post-Trump. I shake my head whenever I hear liberals talking about the Trump Era as some sort of bad dream that we will eventually wake up from. Trump may be gone in 2021 or 2025 or maybe even 2019. But Trumpism is going to be with us much longer than that. That is the new normal.

I disagree. I want to return to normal. Trumpism is like McCarthyism; a temporary  bad time. 

I am exactly the sort of pro Wall Street, pro Goldman Sachs guy that Ren Hoek wants to defeat. But he won’t. 

I'd never heard of Whitney, and my first reading of that tweet was that he was a Trump supporter arguing that Trump's opponents were the ones trying to "appease Goldman Sachs". But then I found his Twitter feed and realized he's a leftist arguing that we can't just go back to normal after Trump, we need to take the opportunity to fix a system that was already broken. Which I suppose is something we can argue over but IMO is largely irrelevant. Whether people want it or not, things will never go back to "normal" post-Trump. I shake my head whenever I hear liberals talking about the Trump Era as some sort of bad dream that we will eventually wake up from. Trump may be gone in 2021 or 2025 or maybe even 2019. But Trumpism is going to be with us much longer than that. That is the new normal.
It seems to me that the political establishment sort of created this monster.  There wouldn't be much room for an antiestablishment "populist" to resonate with people if status quo politics hadn't failed the working class.  

There's a choice for the left to make here.  Campaigning on a return to 'normalcy,' which is really the 'adults in the room' argument, which is really just a return to a garbage system nobody wants that gave us Trump in the first place, but more polite.  

Or campaigning on a tough, adversarial platform that accepts accountability for how the system has failed the working class and offers meaningful changes to peoples' lives.  If the Democrats were that desperate to save us from the Trump/GOP agenda, they would embrace these ideas full-heartedly and leave no stone unturned trying to win over nonvoters.  It will never happen of course, but it would if their convictions matched their rhetoric.  

@michaelwhitney

This seems awfully pro-Trump, Ren. It’s also Bannonesque in its Leninist POV.

It seems to me that the political establishment sort of created this monster.  There wouldn't be much room for an antiestablishment "populist" to resonate with people if status quo politics hadn't failed the working class.  

There's a choice for the left to make here.  Campaigning on a return to 'normalcy,' which is really the 'adults in the room' argument, which is really just a return to a garbage system nobody wants that gave us Trump in the first place, but more polite.  

Or campaigning on a tough, adversarial platform that accepts accountability for how the system has failed the working class and offers meaningful changes to peoples' lives.  If the Democrats were that desperate to save us from the Trump/GOP agenda, they would embrace these ideas full-heartedly and leave no stone unturned trying to win over nonvoters.  It will never happen of course, but it would if their convictions matched their rhetoric.  
This was what Bernie Sanders represented and many of his ideas were woven into the Democrats' platform.   Universal health care, raising the minimum wage and student loan relief would all benefit the working class.

This seems awfully pro-Trump, Ren. It’s also Bannonesque in its Leninist POV.
The author of that tweet was a Bernie fundraiser.  But I think he has a point.  So much of the political paradigm is painted as a right vs. left thing, but it really isn't.  It's establishment vs. populism, us vs. them, authoritarian vs. libertarian, etc.  The 50-someodd percent of the country that didn't participate in the last election isn't going to jump out of bed to vote for a Biden or just merely free us from Trump if the Dems are offering nothing of substance. 

Users who are viewing this thread