What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Amazing Race 36 Thread - Mostly South America Edition *** (1 Viewer)

That one guy doing the look-at-the-camera-and-eye-roll :rolleyes:  over his partner being such a drama queen trying to eat the beignets was a pretty classic moment.

None of it was hard. The order didn’t change one time from the beginning.

Finding the baby in the king cake decided it. 

I agree, but, also I think that Will & James built on their early lead and kept separating themselves farther and farther ahead. And I think when Will found the baby and then hid its size from the other two teams, that's what really gave them a leap ahead over the others. They might have started just a few minutes ahead but it felt like they ended up a half hour or more ahead because of that. Will fisting that baby is what sealed the victory.

Was trying to avoid spoilers since I haven't watching the finale, while scrolling on my phone I saw a headline about the boyfriends winning.  Guess I don't need to watch it now.  Was really hoping one of the other teams would have won.

I saw a couple of interesting team interviews. Pretty much what would be expected.

DeAngelo explained his frustration and that out-of-context mat quote. He said that he was disappointed with the time in-between legs most. He could see things out his hotel window (like the Eiffel Tower) but there was no time to go see them. In past races, others made the same complaint. No real off time to really see the cities that you are in at the time

The Volleybros said it took them three hours to find the baby in the king cake. They were never really in at after that.

The boyfriends certainly had selective memory. They insisted that they never tried to eliminate a particular team. They just wanted to make sure that they weren't eliminated. I guess they conveniently forgot that in leg three they tried to eliminate Leo and Alana by U-turning them (because they had helped the blondes during the truck decorating task, even though they were doing the same thing for their alliance), in leg seven they convinced the blondes to yield Leo and Alana so that they would be eliminated, in leg eight they yielded the blondes to eliminate them, and in both legs nine and ten they tried to eliminate DeAngelo and Gary.

Wasn’t a big fan of the finale. Really only 1 comp that would either win or lose you the race....unless your taxi takes a “shortcut”. 
The randomness of a bad taxi driver has always been annoying. When it happens where there isn’t a language barrier AND you would think the destination isn’t some off the wall place, it’s just crazy. 

James Bond said:
I saw a couple of interesting team interviews. Pretty much what would be expected.

DeAngelo explained his frustration and that out-of-context mat quote. He said that he was disappointed with the time in-between legs most. He could see things out his hotel window (like the Eiffel Tower) but there was no time to go see them. In past races, others made the same complaint. No real off time to really see the cities that you are in at the time

The Volleybros said it took them three hours to find the baby in the king cake. They were never really in at after that.

The boyfriends certainly had selective memory. They insisted that they never tried to eliminate a particular team. They just wanted to make sure that they weren't eliminated. I guess they conveniently forgot that in leg three they tried to eliminate Leo and Alana by U-turning them (because they had helped the blondes during the truck decorating task, even though they were doing the same thing for their alliance), in leg seven they convinced the blondes to yield Leo and Alana so that they would be eliminated, in leg eight they yielded the blondes to eliminate them, and in both legs nine and ten they tried to eliminate DeAngelo and Gary.
It's a small thing, but I find it telling when one person in the final couple decides to rush to the final mat without the other.   Give you one guess who sprinted onto the mat this season. 

The teams for season 33 have been announced, along with some information about the modified race.

Eleven teams started the race. Two teams were eliminated before the pandemic halted the race in early 2020. After a twenty month delay, the race resumed and two teams could not rejoin. The other seven teams completed the race in Europe and the US only. A charter plane transported the teams. No cabs, trains, or public transportation of any kind. Only self-driving and the joint flights.

The teams are:

Akbar Cook Sr. (45) and Sheridan Cook (44)
Married educators from Martinsville, NJ.

Anthony Sadler (29) and Spencer Stone (29)
Childhood friends from Sacramento, CA.

Arun Kumar (56) and Natalia Kumar (28)
Father and daughter from Detroit, MI.

Caro Viehweg (23) and Ray Gantt (25)
Dating from Los Angeles, CA and Toms River, NJ., respectively.

Connie (37) and Sam (39) Greiner
Married couple from Charlotte, NC.

Kim (45) and Penn (47) Holderness
Married Internet personalities from Raleigh, NC.

Marianela “Lulu” (37) and Marissa “Lala” (37) Gonzalez
Twins and radio hosts from North Bergen, NJ.

Michael Norwood (36) and Armonde “Moe” Badger (42)
Singing police officers from Buffalo, NY.

Raquel Moore (31) and Cayla Platt (30)
Flight attendants from Chicago, IL and Gulf Breeze, FL, respectively.

Ryan Ferguson (37) and Dusty Harris (38)
Best friends from Columbia, MO.

Taylor Green-Jones (38) and Isaiah Green-Jones (31)
YouTube sensations from Portland, OR.

The Amazing Race, 2-Hour Season 33 Premiere, Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 8/7c, CBS

So nice to have the Race back. The first episode got the annoyfriends bad taste from last season out of my mouth. I'm liking the flight attendants, Anthony & Spencer, and Taylor & Isaiah. I get a weird vibe from Kim & Penn (especially Kim). I was not surprised that Lulu & Lala were last.

The Race is back!

Love the flight attendants. There were no teams I cringed at, yet. Lulu and Lala are there to provide drama, and their brand of it doesn't annoy me, probably because I'm also from NJ and see that all the time. 

Seemed like there was an obvious "right choice" on both detours. 

Every season ..

I've never been to this city, I have no idea where the place is that the clue tells me to go.. But dam if I'll stop to ask someone that lives there where I need to go.. I'll just wander around and hope to stumble upon it. . :lol:  

I also liked the flight attendants.

Anthony & Spencer are my pick to win it. They seem very worldly and kept cool heads even when struggling.

The middle aged educators look primed for a meltdown at some point.

Love the flight attendants. There were no teams I cringed at, yet. Lulu and Lala are there to provide drama, and their brand of it doesn't annoy me, probably because I'm also from NJ and see that all the time. 

Seemed like there was an obvious "right choice" on both detours. 

Lulu and Lala were very cool about it when they thought they were being eliminated.  I was primed to hate them from the intro, but was surprised to find them perfectly fine.  The only ones I don't like are the "internet sensations" or whatever they are, the ones who do videos with their kids.  :X   Although I do like most of the teams so far, it's disappointing to see so many who are "internet sensations" or "YouTube stars" or former reality TV contestants or whatever.  Just not usually my cuppa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lulu and Lala were very cool about it when they thought they were being eliminated.  I was primed to hate them from the intro, but was surprised to find them perfectly fine.  The only ones I don't like are the "internet sensations" or whatever they are, the ones who do videos with their kids.  :X   Although I do like most of the teams so far, it's disappointing to see so many who are "internet sensations" or "YouTube stars" or former reality TV contestants or whatever.  Just not usually my cuppa.
Yeah no one has jumped out as schemers or backstabbers yet, but the season is new.  I also didn't care for that older couple that does the family wacky videos.  The guy reminds me of Alex Moffat from SNL with the ##### factor turned up 50%. 

Probably pulling for the airline attendants or Ryan/Dusty. 

Happy to have this back on the air. 

Although I do like most of the teams so far, it's disappointing to see so many who are "internet sensations" or "YouTube stars" or former reality TV contestants or whatever.  
TAR has been bringing on lots of those people for a while now. Seems to be their preferred method of recruiting. 

I also didn't care for that older couple that does the family wacky videos.  The guy reminds me of Alex Moffat from SNL with the ##### factor turned up 50%. 
I thought he kind of looked like Jon Stewart. Though Jon Stewart would never find a clue and say "this can't be all there is to it, let's look some more." 😆

Give folks who have not had media exposure or work somewhat mundane jobs a chance to be on the public stage and benefit from it. Several of the current teams do fit this.

That being said I was prepared to not like the couple who do videos with their kids but the initial 2 hour episode showed them to be down to earth and pleasant.

Surprised how bad the cops were. 

Fans of the two male teams - the Heros and Ryan/Dusty

The lack of Bobby vocabulary was surprising.

The dad in the father/daughter team could turn out to be the schemer if they last long enough. 

Sneaky team to stick around - the couple from Love Island even with his stupid moment finding the clue in the mail room. 

Surprised how bad the cops were. 

Fans of the two male teams - the Heros and Ryan/Dusty

The lack of Bobby vocabulary was surprising.

The dad in the father/daughter team could turn out to be the schemer if they last long enough. 

Sneaky team to stick around - the couple from Love Island even with his stupid moment finding the clue in the mail room. 
Not surprised about the cops. I don’t think puzzles were their thing so they didn’t even think that they might have to put it up in order.

Lots of likable teams. I do like the all male teams as well. The train guys and a guy who was wrongfully imprisoned. Damn. There are a lot of interesting teams. I like the flight attendants and dad/daughter as well. Even the married guys and just dating teams seem like solid competitors.

I think the next two to go are the educators and the married couple who got lucky at darts. The educators are another great story although the husband really didn’t shine in his treatment of his wife. I see them going next because the slow teams never do well. The other married couple that did the darts just seems like a team that will make a bad mistake or not being to finish one detour and have to start another.

Give folks who have not had media exposure or work somewhat mundane jobs a chance to be on the public stage and benefit from it. Several of the current teams do fit this.

That being said I was prepared to not like the couple who do videos with their kids but the initial 2 hour episode showed them to be down to earth and pleasant.
I was actually surprised that I liked them as well. Yes, they seem goofy, but they do appear to be nice people. I mean when the husband fell that was good TV and he just got up and kept going. I think he was the one who said I’ve always wanted to kiss the queen, which was one of the funniest parts. 

The other married couple that did the darts just seems like a team that will make a bad mistake or not being to finish one detour and have to start another.
Maybe, though I was impressed that they worked their way up from last to find the phone booth people to seventh at the end of the first leg to second at the end of the second leg. It's possible that was just a function of choosing the "right" detour each time, but hopeless teams don't have a trajectory like that. 

Maybe, though I was impressed that they worked their way up from last to find the phone booth people to seventh at the end of the first leg to second at the end of the second leg. It's possible that was just a function of choosing the "right" detour each time, but hopeless teams don't have a trajectory like that. 
Not hopeless. I think the married educators are hopeless in that I don’t see them having the speed to avoid many more eliminations now that two of the worse teams are gone. I just think married darts have that mistake in them to be the bottom one time. Honestly, after the two that were eliminated (likely the worst two) and the married educators, the rest of the teams seem pretty competitive so one mistake could be costly.

Oh crap, I forgot the twins had a stay of execution. They and the educators are the next two IMHO. The twins were just bad and I’d assume they have to do some sort of extra challenge although I don’t recall that being mentioned.

Not hopeless. I think the married educators are hopeless in that I don’t see them having the speed to avoid many more eliminations now that two of the worse teams are gone. I just think married darts have that mistake in them to be the bottom one time. Honestly, after the two that were eliminated (likely the worst two) and the married educators, the rest of the teams seem pretty competitive so one mistake could be costly.

Oh crap, I forgot the twins had a stay of execution. They and the educators are the next two IMHO. The twins were just bad and I’d assume they have to do some sort of extra challenge although I don’t recall that being mentioned.
I don't think it was a non elimination round, rather a "keep racing" stop.  So, maybe no punishment.

It never came up but during the dart throw did they have to rotate throwing 3 darts? Each team seemed to have a better dart thrower. Could the bad thrower continue to throw until bullseye and then put the pressure the better thrower to hit a bullseye within 3 shots. Seems faster than the good thrower having to spend time throwing then it put the pressure on the weaker thrower. I would always want my weaker thrower going first. 

I don't think it was a non elimination round, rather a "keep racing" stop.  So, maybe no punishment.
I wonder if that clue was just for them. All other racers just got their place but I don’t recall Phil handing them clues. Maybe it was editing so we didn’t know if it was or was a keep racing/non-elimination before we saw the last team.

Phil also didn’t give the first team a reward so I think you may be right, it wasn’t really a finish leg.

It never came up but during the dart throw did they have to rotate throwing 3 darts? Each team seemed to have a better dart thrower. Could the bad thrower continue to throw until bullseye and then put the pressure the better thrower to hit a bullseye within 3 shots. Seems faster than the good thrower having to spend time throwing then it put the pressure on the weaker thrower. I would always want my weaker thrower going first. 
Maybe, but you are going to also want to give them a break since the weaker is just luck. Even the stronger thrower is a bit of luck so I can see not wanting to completely exhaust/frustrate the bad thrower.

We have spent the last 2 years watching The Holderness Family, so Kim and Penn are the family favorites.   I don't think they can win it, but it gets the kids to watch for now.

Although I do like most of the teams so far, it's disappointing to see so many who are "internet sensations" or "YouTube stars" or former reality TV contestants or whatever.  
TAR has been bringing on lots of those people for a while now. Seems to be their preferred method of recruiting. 

Yeah, I know.  I just preferred the days when they cast people who didn't already have agents.  And get off my lawn.

I just think married darts have that mistake in them to be the bottom one time. 

This feels right to me, too.  I was :lmao:  when they were walking around just yelling, "Bobby!?  Bobby?!?"  They seem the type not to stop and think things out enough (of course many teams don't, but they seem more likely not to).  

Agree about the married educators, too, which is a shame as I could definitely pull for them.  For now, my favorites are also the train-hero-guys and the wrongfully convicted guy and his friend.

This feels right to me, too.  I was :lmao:  when they were walking around just yelling, "Bobby!?  Bobby?!?"  They seem the type not to stop and think things out enough (of course many teams don't, but they seem more likely not to).  

Agree about the married educators, too, which is a shame as I could definitely pull for them.  For now, my favorites are also the train-hero-guys and the wrongfully convicted guy and his friend.
Agree all around. You know the twins and educators aren’t long for the game. They aren’t fast so they’ll hit the bottom soon.

Yeah, you feel like that guy was 1 millisecond away from not looking back at the bobby. They definitely seem like a team that will make that big mistake and once the twins and educators go, all it’s going to take is a mistake and you’re gone. Seems like most teams have their act together, way more than usual.

I wonder if that clue was just for them. All other racers just got their place but I don’t recall Phil handing them clues. Maybe it was editing so we didn’t know if it was or was a keep racing/non-elimination before we saw the last team.

Phil also didn’t give the first team a reward so I think you may be right, it wasn’t really a finish leg.
It looks like it was a keep racing leg but I'm not sure. They did not advise the racers or audience what was happening except to tell the last place twins they were still racing. 

The Bobby was somewhat initially unhelpful to previous racers but with them went out of his way to let them know he had the clue. This was despite the fact that they never directly asked him if he was "bobby" and had a clue for them.

As edited/presented the twins and the educators were irritants. The male educator was harsh and unsupportive to his partner.

If you are going on the AR, you did need to improve your stamina and conditioning, pack light and have familiarity with driving a stick shift. Otherwise you are sabotaging yourself.

I think the Stewardessses have an advantage based on accumulated travel knowledge. Knowing airports, where to look for resources and just how some things are done in other countries helps. 

What's the deal with someone lugging a foam roller around the world?  I use a foam roller at home so I'm familiar with what it does, just seems excessive when you could just use a stick or knobby massage ball.  And it's not like they have the time to put in 10 mile runs each day. 

happy to have TAR back  

i like all of the all male teams.  although I'm an ### and refer to the one guy, as the killer,  :bag: , since i don't know anyones names yet.  the flight attendants seem good.  and i really liked the way the dad and the husband encouraged their partners in the darts.  no dickishness shown.  i like kim and penn, they are actually pretty normal in real life.  i've known of them for a while.  their daughter is same age as mine.  educators have no shot.  twins are pretty bad.  and their art mural wasn't even remotely close to being put together correctly.  i paused it 3 times, it was so whack.  love island can go.

i guess i like most of the teams so far.   :shrug:   

Now comes the longest pit stop ever. It looked like only five teams came back. I didn't see Love Island, Taylor & Isaiah, Anthony & Spenser, or Connie & Sam. They seemed to know the two replacement teams so that's either the previously eliminated teams or maybe a team from the past? Or maybe a combination team put together from the four missing teams?

Now comes the longest pit stop ever. It looked like only five teams came back. I didn't see Love Island, Taylor & Isaiah, Anthony & Spenser, or Connie & Sam. They seemed to know the two replacement teams so that's either the previously eliminated teams or maybe a team from the past? Or maybe a combination team put together from the four missing teams?
There’s an overhead shot that pretty much confirms who it is. It’s posted on the TAR subreddit.

There’s an overhead shot that pretty much confirms who it is. It’s posted on the TAR subreddit.
dad/daughter and the cops, from i could tell.

what's the speculation on why they didn't come back?  cynical ole me, say the 2 couples broke up.  unsure of the train dudes.

Apparently, Love Island broke up, Connie became pregnant, Anthony got seriously injured, and Isaiah and Taylor had a family member get COVID.

I think that Anthony and Spencer looked like one of the strongest AR teams that I can ever remember.

Strong, well traveled, good attitude and very cool under pressure.

It's a shame they couldn't continue.

Users who are viewing this thread