What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (10 Viewers)

Guns are the root cause of gun related casualties.
So you walk out into your garage and notice you have a flat tire. You look on the ground next to your tire and you see a wet, broken box of nails on the ground. In your world, the nails are the problem and we should ban nails.

So you walk out into your garage and notice you have a flat tire. You look on the ground next to your tire and you see a wet, broken box of nails on the ground. In your world, the nails are the problem and we should ban nails.
If the sole purpose of nails was to cause flat tires, yes. But that's not the case, so your analogy is poor and does not support the point you'd like to make, as is the case with most analogies to guns.

If the sole purpose of nails was to cause flat tires, yes. But that's not the case, so your analogy is poor and does not support the point you'd like to make, as is the case with most analogies to guns.
Actually, it's one of the standard analogies to teach people how to do actual root cause and corrective action instead of just latching onto what seems like the easy answer.

Actually, it's one of the standard analogies to teach people how to do actual root cause and corrective action instead of just latching onto what seems like the easy answer.
It may be, but it fails as analogy in this case, for the reason I gave, which you did not address.

I'm sorry the logic eludes you guys. The analogy is not to compare guns to nails but to show you that you have to dig deeper to find the source of the problem here. Taking away guns is not going to prevent mass killings. You have to find the reason why these people are going off the deep end and try and repair that.

I'm sorry the logic eludes you guys. The analogy is not to compare guns to nails but to show you that you have to dig deeper to find the source of the problem here. Taking away guns is not going to prevent mass killings. You have to find the reason why these people are going off the deep end and try and repair that.
It would really help if you read the other 141 pages of this thread. We've been down this road before

Last edited by a moderator:
And if footballs had feathers I could doghouse my dinner plate. What the hell are you talking about?

Guns, people. We’re talking about guns.

In the words of Marty Shottenheimer:

FOCUS!!

I don’t speak for everyone here, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say taking away guns would go a long way towards reducing the number of school shootings.  

Countries around the world that have reduced access to guns have had a lot of success reducing mass killings.  

My question: If we make the sales of new AR-15s illegal, what’s to stop us from installing a totalitarian dictatorship along the lines of 1984??

You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise...it's crawling towards you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back.

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping.

Compromise:

We only take half the guns, AND we address the mental health issues.

I still get to shoot the water moccasins in my pond, KC can still shoot Bambi, and some psychotherapist can write a book about Stealthy’s delicate gun fetish.

You’re welcome America. Toby Keith will probably write a song about me.

By all means, please continue on with the same path that we have been on but stop pretending to be upset when it happens. I know, thoughts and prayers......

Compromise:

We only take half the guns, AND we address the mental health issues.

I still get to shoot the water moccasins in my pond, KC can still shoot Bambi, and some psychotherapist can write a book about Stealthy’s delicate gun fetish.

You’re welcome America. Toby Keith will probably write a song about me.
Unpossible!

Please explain how every civilized nation putting tighter restrictions on guns has resulted in less gun violence.  Is that a coincidence?  You want to stop gun violence?  Reduce the availability of guns.  It’s not that hard to understand, and it doesn’t rely on any false equivalency or logical fallacy. Guns are, in fact, the leading problem in the issue of gun violence. 

Please don’t use the term logic when you don’t understand what it means.

be honest - you don't own guns do you? you would give up nothing if all semi-auto guns were banned, would you ?

this is a common thought process too - because you have nothing to give up, its easy to demand other people give thing

doesn't cost you nothing
Speaking for myself as a non gun owner, you are correct, any hypothetical ban would cost me nothing.

It would inconvenience you, and you think that is unfair. 

Sometimes the nation calls on certain individuals to make a sacrifice for the greater good.

Are you not willing to do that?

Speaking for myself as a non gun owner, you are correct, any hypothetical ban would cost me nothing.

Sometimes the nation calls on certain individuals to make a sacrifice for the greater good.

Speaking as a gun owner, I’ll hand over every semiautomatic gun, every holster, every accessory, and every cartridge and I’ll thank our lawmakers for their service to our country. 

If I had kids, I don’t know if I could do it these days.  Drop them off and just hope it’s not their school today. 
It sucks.  It sucks when my daughter has to practice not getting murdered once a month.  It sucks explaining why we as a country refuse to stop it, and why politicians are corrupt and cowardly.  It sucks that she realizes that most people have guns for no purpose other than recreation, and that’s more important than the lives of her and her classmates.

He is not, and that is very crystal clear. As it is with quite a bit of America. It's a selfish, me-first, mentality and it's gripping the nation. No real or true concern for others. 

I support sensible gun control laws. You can keep and use what you have, but you shouldn't be able to sell them to just anybody. 
how do you determine who you can and cannot sell to ?

can you trade and barter? give them ? I mean I'm not against that line of thought, its just impossible to impose it and does nothing to help people taking/stealing guns

BTW - it looks like the two campus officers did confront the shooter

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said two police officers had been on the campus at the time at the attack — as envisioned by the school’s safety plan — and that they were “able to confront the shooter early on in the process.”

Just the second amendment. No need to get out over our skis. You need some A.D.D. Medication. We are talking about guns here. Not a bunch of other unrelated bull crap.
but its very relevant

if we could gut other amendments so that the Govt could do a much better job of finding these kinds of people and saving lives, isn't it worth it ? if just one life were saved, isn't it worth you giving up some of your Constitutional freedoms ?

And logic alludes you as well.

This has been said over and over and over again...nobody is outbclaiming we can stop all mass shootings.  We want to make it more difficult for people to obtain weapons to kill mass numbers of people.

We want more layers to catch a person before it happens.  To lessen the damage they can inflict.

Amd talking about those measures does not ignore other issues of mental health and so on...those things are being advocated for as well.  It’s not an either/or situation.  Solutions to both are needed.

how do you determine who you can and cannot sell to ?

can you trade and barter? give them ? I mean I'm not against that line of thought, its just impossible to impose it and does nothing to help people taking/stealing guns

BTW - it looks like the two campus officers did confront the shooter

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said two police officers had been on the campus at the time at the attack — as envisioned by the school’s safety plan — and that they were “able to confront the shooter early on in the process.”
So two (some reports say 3) armed security officers limited the damage to 10 deaths.  Is that a success in your mind?  Or is it more proof that ideas like arming teachers are simply idiotic?

Nah, if we can't stop people from dying from other diseases, why bother?  For that matter, why treat diseases at all?  People will still be killed by drunk drivers.  If we can't ban alcohol and cars, why treat diseases?
you treat the core problem to save lives apalmer

the core problem with DUI is exactly that we allow alcohol and cars to be sold and people to drive them, and there are millions who did it illegally every year. Now, we COULD place breathalizers in every car .... blow to start, but that's much an inconvenience to the law abiding people isn't it ?

what else can we do to stop drunk drivers? we could make cars that go no more than 25 mph ..... that way if drunks DID hit someone, it was drastically reduce killing someone. but again people don't want to give up their fast to save lives, do they ?

you treat the core problem to save lives apalmer

the core problem with DUI is exactly that we allow alcohol and cars to be sold and people to drive them, and there are millions who did it illegally every year. Now, we COULD place breathalizers in every car .... blow to start, but that's much an inconvenience to the law abiding people isn't it ?

what else can we do to stop drunk drivers? we could make cars that go no more than 25 mph ..... that way if drunks DID hit someone, it was drastically reduce killing someone. but again people don't want to give up their fast to save lives, do they ?
Why are you unable to stay on topic?  Your arguments read like a poster for the NRA.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So two (some reports say 3) armed security officers limited the damage to 10 deaths.  Is that a success in your mind?  Or is it more proof that ideas like arming teachers are simply idiotic?

Anti-gun people are the ones saying banning AR15's stop's people like this from killing a bunch more and calls that a success, not me.

I wish they'd have killed this guy fast and nobody died

By all means, please continue on with the same path that we have been on but stop pretending to be upset when it happens. I know, thoughts and prayers......
All the praying that’s been done and god hasn’t done anything yet. What an ####### he is. 

the liberal mind cannot understand that

ban ban ban ban ban ban ban

you see the mentality right here - its was for 100 pages ban AR15's and high cap magazines and bump stocks - do that the left says, they don't want to ban all guns

yesterday a 17 year old wacko kills with a shotgun and now its ban all semi-auto guns

tomorrow, a person uses a single shot to kill 25 kids and they'll demand all single shots banned

its a progression and every time, its ban something else and totally ignore the core problem

I mean look, its simple here. For 100's of years every house pretty much had guns. Kids had access to guns, easy access. In the 1940's kids too guns to school in many places. In 1980's we STILL took guns to school in our trucks in rural America. More guns were in homes then than now.

If guns were the problem why wasn't kids killing kids and people killing kids back then ?

There has been a massive spike in the last 20 years - and the more restrictions on guns are not doing a damn thing because the type of weapon is NOT the problem ! These people are the problem

The truly brave go to school without guns.  Teachers, students...parents dropping their kids off each day.  That's courage.
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a860c28d0307219008b45d4-960-1117.png

bicycling is more dangerous FYI, so is choking
What's the leading cause of death for students in classrooms?

It's nice that you cited statistics that show "heart disease" as the number 1 killer, but somehow I think that more school aged children die as victims of guns than heart disease.

Slow down your roll a bit, and try to think this through.

What's the leading cause of death for students in classrooms?

It's nice that you cited statistics that show "heart disease" as the number 1 killer, but somehow I think that more school aged children die as victims of guns than heart disease.

Slow down your roll a bit, and try to think this through
the leading cause is people killing other people

can we please, please ban that ?

you were wanting to talk about how brave people were to go to school - a places less likely to die than many other places and things we do in life. Schools are very very safe overall, don't make it look like a killing field, it isn't. It DOES need to stop, absolutely. But over dramatizing things to try and make a point is easily seen by everyone and doesn't help the anti-gun cause

Gun worshipers don’t even understand that they are just parroting false statements by the NRA, which is being significantly funded by Russia.

But ‘Murica!  Rights!
link ?

I'm curious, do you think our military and police should have guns? Hollywood actors? NFL and NBA players?

if I seriously thought it would make a difference I'd consider it.

would you give up your right to privacy to help? waive your kids rights? Would you agree to laws that let police come into your home without a warrant? you know, its an inconvenience, but a sacrifice to a greater good right?

what are some other things you personally would give up to save human lives?

Speaking as a gun owner, I’ll hand over every semiautomatic gun, every holster, every accessory, and every cartridge and I’ll thank our lawmakers for their service to our country. 
send me a PM and I'll have my FFL guy send your FFL guy the information and you can ship to me, k ?

I'll help you become gun free

Users who are viewing this thread