What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (4 Viewers)

the NRA isn't a perfect organization like all organizations ..... its the one that protects my right to own guns and without it antigunners would be much farther along in banning my shotguns, .22 rifles, collector guns etc. I'm sorry - the NRA fights hard against Democrats on gun control, they have my support and I stick with them and by them

if the NRA fell today, gun bans would be introduced nationwide by Democrats in every level of Govts ........... Constitution be damned they'd do it. I'd like to see the NRA do things a bit differently sometimes, but overall, in most all they do .... they're very good organization, involved in gun training, kids programs etc etc
I was not talking about your support for the NRA in my post.   Talking about your claims that drugs are the problem, domestic violence is the problem,  mental health is the problem.  These are the issues that need fixing according to you, but as far as I can tell you 100% support a political party that IMO makes these issues worse.  I am not sure how you reconcile that.  

KCitons said:
Any conviction due to alcohol would make the person ineligible to own a firearm. 
We talking DUI, public intoxication, underage drinking, what?  

Do you guys envision just effecting this person owning a gun, or does this apply to the household, and there can be no guns in the house? 

We talking DUI, public intoxication, underage drinking, what?  

Do you guys envision just effecting this person owning a gun, or does this apply to the household, and there can be no guns in the house? 

KCitons said:
Any conviction due to alcohol would make the person ineligible to own a firearm. 
Apply it to whatever you want. I would think it would be a hard sell to apply it to the entire household, but you could then hold the other members accountable for not locking up the firearm. It would be similar to an MIP. (the person who bought the alcohol would be liable as well) Data shows that alcohol is a determining factor when it comes to gun violence. Nobody seems to want to take the steps of prohibiting the person from obtaining alcohol. Which would be the alternative.

KarmaPolice said:
I was not talking about your support for the NRA in my post.   Talking about your claims that drugs are the problem, domestic violence is the problem,  mental health is the problem.  These are the issues that need fixing according to you, but as far as I can tell you 100% support a political party that IMO makes these issues worse.  I am not sure how you reconcile that.  
sorry - my bad on reading that as NRA targeted

Its liberals who side with the criminals on light sentencing, no death penalty, gun free zones, no jail time for non-violent crimes, open borders, legalized drugs .... and all that boils down to allowing those who would be violent to be violent easier. How many gun shootings are repeat offenders? 

GOP isn't a perfect party either - but they don't want to disarm law abiding people and they have sense enough to not pass laws that target everyone but the criminals

KarmaPolice said:
Again, has any not agreed that violence and murder happens everywhere? 
so its not the weapons used ?

every situation is different and should be case by case with Red Flagging

you're talking taking a Constitutional Right -from someone - that shouldn't be a decision made easily and better have a good amount of fact to support it. 

sorry - my bad on reading that as NRA targeted

Its liberals who side with the criminals on light sentencing, no death penalty, gun free zones, no jail time for non-violent crimes, open borders, legalized drugs .... and all that boils down to allowing those who would be violent to be violent easier. How many gun shootings are repeat offenders? 

GOP isn't a perfect party either - but they don't want to disarm law abiding people and they have sense enough to not pass laws that target everyone but the criminals
Like I said, we are in complete disagreement on most of that 2nd paragraph, and think a few of those are main reasons for stuff like gang violence, etc.  

I am guessing there is 0 chance we will agree on any of that stuff though. 

Bolded two =  having 0 violence and death in a society isn't a reasonable goal.  
Guy who carries a gun with him at all times thinks anything above zero gun deaths is a total failure, but isn't willing to support any changes to the very policies that have been a total failure by his own standards.

Safe storage and training would definitely effect efficiency and effectiveness.  
How so?
A gun locked in a safe is not going to be very effective for people who are trying to steal the gun or for family members who don't know how to access the safe.

Training on how to use the gun would have the opposite effect, making them more efficient and effective, but safety training would tie into the use of gun safes as well as preventing accidents.

A gun locked in a safe is not going to be very effective for people who are trying to steal the gun or for family members who don't know how to access the safe.

Training on how to use the gun would have the opposite effect, making them more efficient and effective, but safety training would tie into the use of gun safes as well as preventing accidents.
But, the gun will still be just as effective for the person with the combination to the safe? Looking back on the mass shootings, I don't think a safe would have had much of a difference. I will concede that it makes it less attainable to someone that shouldn't have access to a firearm.

Like I said, we are in complete disagreement on most of that 2nd paragraph, and think a few of those are main reasons for stuff like gang violence, etc.  

I am guessing there is 0 chance we will agree on any of that stuff though. 
Democrats are the source of anti-gun legislation, they're the ones that drive almost all the anti-gun everything - surely you know that ?

...and we are right back to efficiency and effectiveness.  Yes, weapon matters.  
ok but its NOT the weapons that causes the source of the core problems though .... they're a weapon, and I think you've already agreed that countries with gun control still has plenty of violence and hate and murders .... they just choose other weapons right ?

is that what you're really trying to stop here? are those deaths REALLY the ones ? because they only number a few hundred a year, right? stolen guns are different ......... a gun in a safe at night does me no good for self protection does it?  you could just as easily then ask for all knives and cars and alcohol and drugs etc to be required to be locked every night ... you know, just in case someone breaks in and steals from you. 

you're making the victim of robbery a criminal for what they might use with what they stole from you ?

Democrats are the source of anti-gun legislation, they're the ones that drive almost all the anti-gun everything - surely you know that ?

ok but its NOT the weapons that causes the source of the core problems though .... they're a weapon, and I think you've already agreed that countries with gun control still has plenty of violence and hate and murders .... they just choose other weapons right ?
Not talking about anti-gun legislation. 

No, I dont really agree on the bolded.  

But, the gun will still be just as effective for the person with the combination to the safe? Looking back on the mass shootings, I don't think a safe would have had much of a difference. I will concede that it makes it less attainable to someone that shouldn't have access to a firearm.
The Sandy Hook shooter took his mom's guns.  A gun safe would have made a difference.  Obviously it won't always prevent mass shootings, but unlike Stealthycat I am okay working to reduce mass shootings even if we can't eliminate them

is that what you're really trying to stop here? are those deaths REALLY the ones ? because they only number a few hundred a year, right? stolen guns are different ......... a gun in a safe at night does me no good for self protection does it?  you could just as easily then ask for all knives and cars and alcohol and drugs etc to be required to be locked every night ... you know, just in case someone breaks in and steals from you. 

you're making the victim of robbery a criminal for what they might use with what they stole from you ?
I have no idea what you're rambling about.  He asked how gun safes and training would change effectiveness and efficiency.  You just said that a gun in a safe does no good for self protection, so I believe that proves my point.  Honestly though, if your concern is safety at night then why not just keep your Precious in a biometric safe next to your bed so that nobody accidentally shoots themselves and robbers can't steal it.

I am trying to figure out what your point is with this line of questioning. 

Not talking about anti-gun legislation. 

No, I dont really agree on the bolded.  
well I was - Democrats are the anti-gunners in almost every piece of legislation they drive it. The other things I mentioned too are by and large truths. 

other countries DO have high crimes, high murders, even ones with gun control laws. its not the types of weapons that drive violence and murders ..... it never has been

trying to regulate the weapons in order to limit the amount of damage violent people can do only leads to having an acceptable amount of deaths every year because the focus isn't stopping the violent criminals, only to moderately control the damage they do

I very much disagree with that entire concept - laws and rules that dramatically impact millions of law abiding people in hopes to keep a few thousand criminals from killing as many people as they would otherwise :(     I say stop the criminals, the violent people and it doesn't matter the weapons

criminals rejoice when they see this - this is a big win for criminals and violent people, the risk (life in prison) is worth the chance of being caught. I hate seeing this - we need to be lethally injecting all death row inmates and quickly when there is no doubt of guilt. Like Nikolas Cruz - he should already be dead, the price for his choice in the crimes he committed. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/politics/gavin-newsom-california-death-penalty/index.html

The Sandy Hook shooter took his mom's guns.  A gun safe would have made a difference.  Obviously it won't always prevent mass shootings, but unlike Stealthycat I am okay working to reduce mass shootings even if we can't eliminate them
maybe Lanza would have held a knife to her throat and demanded the combination to open the gun safe.

then what? she's still guilty for allowing him gun access? 

you'd force a law on literally tens of millions of people to hopefully stop a few hundred gun thefts from homes ? 

how about this to stop mass shootings - put armed guards where those crazies like to hit (gun free zones. Oh ... look ..... that's happening nationwide and its working. Concealed carry licensed - legal people stopping bad guys when police are nowhere around. it won't always prevent but hey, it'll help reduce and you've got to be for that right ?

Dickies said:
I have no idea what you're rambling about.  He asked how gun safes and training would change effectiveness and efficiency.  You just said that a gun in a safe does no good for self protection, so I believe that proves my point.  Honestly though, if your concern is safety at night then why not just keep your Precious in a biometric safe next to your bed so that nobody accidentally shoots themselves and robbers can't steal it.
try to keep up

your suggestion is to impact tens of millions of gun owners ........... forcing them to buy safes and to keep everything locked tight, because they might be a victim of a crime?  you'd do all that to legal law abiding people .......... why not target criminals? 

why target legal law abiding gun owners?

Stealthycat said:
well I was - Democrats are the anti-gunners in almost every piece of legislation they drive it. The other things I mentioned too are by and large truths. 

other countries DO have high crimes, high murders, even ones with gun control laws. its not the types of weapons that drive violence and murders ..... it never has been

trying to regulate the weapons in order to limit the amount of damage violent people can do only leads to having an acceptable amount of deaths every year because the focus isn't stopping the violent criminals, only to moderately control the damage they do

I very much disagree with that entire concept - laws and rules that dramatically impact millions of law abiding people in hopes to keep a few thousand criminals from killing as many people as they would otherwise :(     I say stop the criminals, the violent people and it doesn't matter the weapons

criminals rejoice when they see this - this is a big win for criminals and violent people, the risk (life in prison) is worth the chance of being caught. I hate seeing this - we need to be lethally injecting all death row inmates and quickly when there is no doubt of guilt. Like Nikolas Cruz - he should already be dead, the price for his choice in the crimes he committed. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/politics/gavin-newsom-california-death-penalty/index.html
Gotcha.  So you weren't addressing my question, you were just quoting my post in a rambling tangent just because. 

try to keep up

your suggestion is to impact tens of millions of gun owners ........... forcing them to buy safes and to keep everything locked tight, because they might be a victim of a crime?  you'd do all that to legal law abiding people .......... why not target criminals? 

why target legal law abiding gun owners?
I didn't suggest anything other than gun safes would have affected the effectiveness and efficiency of guns.  KC asked how and I explained.  Requiring gun safes does sound like a good idea though, tbh.  

This bull#### about law abiding people versus criminals is some of the most intellectually bankrupt concepts on the board, and the reason I rarely enter this thread.  The post above this makes gun theft out to be a very minor problem, so by that logic damn near every person that commits a crime with a gun is a law abiding gun owner..... until they suddenly become a criminal.  You constantly say you want all gun crimes to be solved, but to do that you have to target law abiding gun owners because the second they kill someone they transition from law-abiding to a criminal.  

Maybe we should prevent these goofballs from carrying guns around in public so that if the police see someone with a gun they instantly know it's illegal.

I get it.  Nite.  
I don't think you do. I never attacked you personally, at any time. 

We can have a conversation, but when you say that he has me pegged, you make it personal. You take your ball and go home, because I won't be your punching bag?

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2019/03/13/paralyzed-amazon-driver-jaylen-walker-files-250-million-suit-against-shooter

Thomlinson, who has a handicapped sticker on his vehicle, was apparently furious. According to St. Charles County Prosecutor Tim Lohmar, Thomlison photographed the scene and posted it to social media before approaching Walker and shoving the phone in his face. A struggle ensued, and Thomlison allegedly punched Walker in the face. 

The two reportedly wrestled on the ground briefly before Walker spotted a gun on Thomlison's hip and attempted to run away. That's when Thomlison allegedly pulled the gun and shot Walker in the back. 
Yeah screw that guy.

oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure I know who that guy voted for

Last edited by a moderator:
Just waiting for the inevitable SC link to the wiki page about Australia's mass killings
its valid to discuss isn't it ?

AUS bans firearms for the most part ... and in the next 20 years, there are actually MORE guns in AUS than before, more mass killing and now, a huge black market for guns as well 

I didn't suggest anything other than gun safes would have affected the effectiveness and efficiency of guns.  KC asked how and I explained.  Requiring gun safes does sound like a good idea though, tbh.  

This bull#### about law abiding people versus criminals is some of the most intellectually bankrupt concepts on the board, and the reason I rarely enter this thread.  The post above this makes gun theft out to be a very minor problem, so by that logic damn near every person that commits a crime with a gun is a law abiding gun owner..... until they suddenly become a criminal.  You constantly say you want all gun crimes to be solved, but to do that you have to target law abiding gun owners because the second they kill someone they transition from law-abiding to a criminal.  

Maybe we should prevent these goofballs from carrying guns around in public so that if the police see someone with a gun they instantly know it's illegal.
when you suggest something gotta think of all the ramifications don't you ?

gun safes are fantastic for people to choose to have - I have a very large one and I keep most of my guns, papers, pictures, valuables etc in it. Making it mandatory it literally impacting tens of millions of people to try and do what?  think this through ... your suggested law isn't enabling the home owner to be safer, its actually disarming him, and you're not trying to do anything to stop the criminal/robbery ............ no, instead you want to shackled the home owners with laws that literally make them victims and does nothing to stop the crime. That's the bull#### thinking of anti-gun 

are all auto drivers DUI ? they aren't .... until they are, right ?

Man shot in the back for parking in a handicapped spot

Paralyzed from the waist down by another coward with a gun. I'm sure the fact that he's black had nothing to do with the confrontation. 
that's just awful

if you were awarded God power today and could put the sentencing on Thomlinson what would it be ? 

that's a rare rare instance of a shooting where the concealed weapon owner is 100% at fault - but he's damn sure at fault. 

Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. My point is ........... one instance doesn't mean everyone is bad. 99.9% of drivers do it right today, 99.9% of gun owners do too

Users who are viewing this thread