What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

There is some amazingly stupid stuff going on right now. Right now in Texas you can legally walk into a wal-mart or a mall with an assault rifle (and gun folks please do me a favor don't beat me up over the term, I just mean whatever gun it is that looks and acts like an actual assault rifle).

Thing is how are security or cops supposed to tell if someone is meaning to do harm when they see this?
I guess we need SC in here for this too - he insinuated that he can tell who is likely to be a mass shooter by looking at them.  I guess we need more SCs as security?

You really think a silent protest is going to mean anything in this country.  We have kids that weren't even in high school slaughtered and NOTHING happened.  Hell not only did NOTHING happen but some of these idiots think it was fake.

We are selling bullet proof school backpacks right now to kids and people are just "well why didn't we think of this"
It's important that people keep speaking in this country.

Per another post, that's a group called "MomsDemand" outside the White House right now demanding a Senate vote on background checks in honor of El Paso and all gun violence victims.

I'm all for free speech like this.

Because, while the intentions are good, the practice of paying off law makers is just as corrupt as the NRA.

However, if some billionaires manage to buy congresspersons to accomplish something good, I'm in favor of it.

Saving lives is more important than playing fair at politics.
I mean it looks like the NRA is losing steam, shouldn't be too hard to out lobby or bribe them.   I think the real problem is all the weapons manufacturers and the MIC though.  Too much money to be made mass producing weapons.  

Trump asks Florida rally crowd: "How do you stop these people" from crossing the border?

"Shoot them!" a rally attendee shouts out.

Trump: "That's only in the panhandle you can get away with that stuff. Only in the panhandle."
I must have missed this.  This was actually said?  If so, what a POS.  

I mean it looks like the NRA is losing steam, shouldn't be too hard to out lobby or bribe them.   I think the real problem is all the weapons manufacturers and the MIC though.  Too much money to be made mass producing weapons.  
I’m not a big gun guy, there has to be some kind of compromise where people know they aren’t coming for every gun but some of these unnecessary weapons are illegal? What’s the medium that makes sense I’m open to it. 

Lets talk about it

I'm telling you right now, if AR15 platform type guns are banned tomorrow it will have zero impact on people killing other people, and by that I mean the same numbers are going to exist. The El Paso and Dayton shooters would just have used different weapons or black market ones.

Tell me - 1 law please that we can pass right now that would stop a shooter tomorrow from going into your local wal-mart and killing people 

I'm listening 
I’m not going to tell you anything , I’m not going to argue with you either, I just asked a question 

And I stand corrected, I guess there is one poster here who opposes any new kinds of gun regulation

To hell with background checks. This country needs a complete gun ban for civilians.
Complete? So what is your substitution to a basic hand gun then for most of the western half of the country in rural areas who have to contend with grizzlies, cougars, etc?

Lets talk about it

I'm telling you right now, if AR15 platform type guns are banned tomorrow it will have zero impact on people killing other people, and by that I mean the same numbers are going to exist. The El Paso and Dayton shooters would just have used different weapons or black market ones.

Tell me - 1 law please that we can pass right now that would stop a shooter tomorrow from going into your local wal-mart and killing people 

I'm listening 
Maybe we can't stop them tomorrow,  but it would have an impact in a year, two years, five years. 

Sure...but even tweaked, it won’t happen as long as the gun libby is as strong as it is.

And instead of a counter proposal...we just get, it wont happen. Nothing can be done.  And we move on til the next shooting.

This endless cycle needs to stop.
Well we can all give thoughts and prayers, that will surely fix the problem

I’m not going to tell you anything , I’m not going to argue with you either, I just asked a question 

And I stand corrected, I guess there is one poster here who opposes any new kinds of gun regulation
why won't you ?isn't that why you come to a forum ?

look - these two shooters broke dozens of laws - laws do NOT bind people who want to kill themselves or others, we all know that

you can add 50 new laws saying don't kill people .... and these types of people will talk through those laws

so again I ask you - what new gun regulations would actually work in real life?  do you really have nothing to put forth ?

why won't you ?isn't that why you come to a forum ?

look - these two shooters broke dozens of laws - laws do NOT bind people who want to kill themselves or others, we all know that

you can add 50 new laws saying don't kill people .... and these types of people will talk through those laws

so again I ask you - what new gun regulations would actually work in real life?  do you really have nothing to put forth ?
I think that if deeper background checks and/or a day or 2 longer wait period to purchase a gun saves one life it’s worth it.

But I’ve posted this before, this isn’t new information 

Maybe we can't stop them tomorrow,  but it would have an impact in a year, two years, five years. 
how

show me how - what laws could be passed to stop these kinds of people ?

we have discussed this for 350+ pages .... we know that catching these people BEFORE they act is a viable option. We've seen it over and over - its just CNN doesn't report the successful stop's. 

Mile High - what would have stopped the El Paso and Dayton killers. What law or rule or regulation would have stopped them from trying to kill a bunch of people. I'm listening 

More CNN, currently having a discussion on whether the media should call this "terrorism" -- guest points out that we have literally all of the textbook definition of terrorism with the El Paso shooting, and that the media seems to be waiting for government sources to label it terrorism before calling it terrorism. 

Some old white guy calling the shooter a "dip####" (live, unbleeped, other guest widened her eyes) and we should call it an 'essay' instead of a 'manifesto' -- counter argument from the host that calling it a 'manifesto' calls out that this is an ideology that exists on the darkest parts of the Internet.

I'm with the host.

I think that if deeper background checks and/or a day or 2 longer wait period to purchase a gun saves one life it’s worth it.

But I’ve posted this before, this isn’t new information 
ok great

neither of those stops people like these mass killers, the above MIGHT stop crimes of passion type shootings, I'll grant you that however again, its a suggestion and really wouldn't stop anyone because if they want to,  use a knife of shotgun etc right ?

So neither suggestion would REALLY stop anyone 

how

show me how - what laws could be passed to stop these kinds of people ?

we have discussed this for 350+ pages .... we know that catching these people BEFORE they act is a viable option. We've seen it over and over - its just CNN doesn't report the successful stop's. 

Mile High - what would have stopped the El Paso and Dayton killers. What law or rule or regulation would have stopped them from trying to kill a bunch of people. I'm listening 
If we had banned assault weapons after Sandyhook there's the possibility 29 people might not have been killed in less then 3 minutes yesterday. 

If we had banned assault weapons after Sandyhook there's the possibility 29 people might not have been killed in less then 3 minutes yesterday. 
ok "possibility" 

I'm telling you right now, a person with a couple of auto shotguns and buckshot can do massive damages and in some ways in close quarters more damage than a small caliber rifle like assault weapons normally are

also, of the top mass shootings, handguns still prevail as the most common weapons used

so, you didn't stop either shooting with your ban of a certain type of gun, and the shooters would choose other guns to do damage and kill

again I'm asking - what law/rule/regulation to STOP these people .... not reduce dead bodies by 5% or 10% or whatever, I want to know what will STOP them

More CNN, currently having a discussion on whether the media should call this "terrorism" -- guest points out that we have literally all of the textbook definition of terrorism with the El Paso shooting, and that the media seems to be waiting for government sources to label it terrorism before calling it terrorism. 

Some old white guy calling the shooter a "dip####" (live, unbleeped, other guest widened her eyes) and we should call it an 'essay' instead of a 'manifesto' -- counter argument from the host that calling it a 'manifesto' calls out that this is an ideology that exists on the darkest parts of the Internet.

I'm with the host.
It was clearly terrorism.  Anyone who says otherwise is using an absurd definition.

You don't know that. One thing for sure doing nothing doesn't REALLY stop anyone.
nobody is saying do nothing

yes - we know that banning a certain type weapon doesn't stop people trying to kill - look at the literally hundreds of laws/rules we have in places RIGHT NOW. Why did all those not stop El Paso and Dayton ?

The Dayton killer murdered 9 people and wounded 7 others within less than a minute before he was shot. Who can do that with a knife? 
this is true

a lot can be done with a knife, but realistically not like you said. Of course, we still have handguns, shotguns, bombs and black markets right ? 

If one of those 5 or 10% were members of my family I’d be pretty happy with this. 
yes but you did NOT stop the shooters with the ban of assault weapons

if your family members were the other dead bodies .... then how would you feel ?

again I ask - what laws or regulations can be passed right now to STOP these people from trying to kill other people ? 

If one of those 5 or 10% were members of my family I’d be pretty happy with this. 
yes but you did NOT stop the shooters with the ban of assault weapons

if your family members were the other dead bodies .... then how would you feel ?

again I ask - what laws or regulations can be passed right now to STOP these people from trying to kill other people ? 
Rather than starting with laws that attempt to stop people from trying, I'd rather start with laws that attempt to stop people from doing.

Rather than starting with laws that attempt to stop people from trying, I'd rather start with laws that attempt to stop people from doing.
great

what laws would you put in place to stop the many killed with other weapons ? do you REALLY think the weapon of choice is the problem ? 

Why make the perfect the enemy of the good?
not following what you mean 

we have 20 million people maybe owning AR15 platform type rifles in the USA

we have 50 or 60 million who own semi-auto rifles

in the last 24 hours, 2 people have used them wrong

why ban or severely impact the tens of millions doing things the RIGHT WAY in order to stop the 15 or 30 each year who choose to do evil things ? 

is that concept how you attack every social problem we have in the USA ? 

great

what laws would you put in place to stop the many killed with other weapons ? do you REALLY think the weapon of choice is the problem ? 
The weapon of choice is part of the problem, yes. Reducing the availability of that weapon will reduce the number of deaths.

(Of course no law can completely eliminate the possibility of someone acquiring such a weapon, nor can any law completely eliminate the concept of murder.)

I am a gun owner, NRA member

What I see is valid, honest, usable tools/laws/rules for the future to stop people from doing evil things ......

#1 red flagging. I think if authorities can identify people who are cracking .... they can and should be able to intervene. 

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/01/06/florida-stripper-arrested-after-threatening-mass-shooting/

#2 active reporting by civilians - like this. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Lubbock-Man-Allegedly-Contemplating-Mass-Shooting-Arrested-514918621.html

I believe arming society in such a way as to stop the people who do want to act is also needed. School shootings are plummeting - because schools are arming themsleves.They're not weak anymore

Walmart stores ... they're weak in security. 

Remember - guns are what STOPPED these shooters too. 

The weapon of choice is part of the problem, yes. Reducing the availability of that weapon will reduce the number of deaths.

(Of course no law can completely eliminate the possibility of someone acquiring such a weapon, nor can any law completely eliminate the concept of murder.)
I submit it will not reduce the number of deaths - not really because there are many many other guns out there that can cause massive deaths too - handguns, shotguns, other rifles ..... you do know that right ?

There are nuts out there now who are saying these last 2 attacks are planned and coordinated by ANTIFA.  Unreal
On the other side of the coin, I've seen people attributing this to Soros, as there is some kind of rise in these events that often happens around this time when the election cycle is starting up.

Yep.  It's made clear the worst of the human condition.  GB Leonard Pozner and others for making everything even worse for themselves to try to stop these ####### #######s.

But yeah, I've thought now for years that if shooting up a bunch of 5-6-year-old babies didn't matter, then none of it will.  I don't know why we even engage in the conversation.  Just accept that this is who we want to be, apparently.
And when all of the republican lawmakers were shot during the softball game.

Thanks for calling him here and making the next 15 pages of this thread completely unreadable.
Yep. The old “none of your laws or suggestions will work, prove me wrong” stance. Great. Let’s continue to do nothing then. Can’t believe people like this exist, especially in the immediate wake of two more of these atrocities, but here we are. 

Users who are viewing this thread