What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (4 Viewers)

The Steelers looked great at times, and horrible at times, just like this entire season. Artie is playing like crap, and we need to do something about that. Not sure if he can be coached up or not, he's only 23 so there should be plenty of time for improvement, but that should not happen on game day because he keeps giving up easy TDs.

Conner is still bulldozing, it will be interesting to see what happens if Bell comes back.

Tomlin still sucks at Challenges. That one in the first half was idiotic, and it prevented him from a real challenge in the 2nd half that would have resulted in a James Conner TD. He needs to get a freakin guy whose whole job is to watch for Challenges. He's so bad at it. 

Thank goodness we didn't have to rely on a Bos FG for the win, I probably would have had a heart attack. 

If Bell comes back this week that would be awesome. A week or more to prepare for the next game, and Conner is playing well enough that we wouldn't have to throw him in 100% right at the start. I don't want to trade Bell. I still have hope for this season and think that good players making our team better is a good thing. I don't think he'll play at half speed, I think once he shows up he'll be full go. That might be naive, but players that try to take it easy, like playing while injured, usually get hurt worse. I think he comes back and balls out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers looked great at times, and horrible at times, just like this entire season. Artie is playing like crap, and we need to do something about that. Not sure if he can be coached up or not, he's only 23 so there should be plenty of time for improvement, but that should not happen on game day because he keeps giving up easy TDs.

Conner is still bulldozing, it will be interesting to see what happens if Bell comes back.

Tomlin still sucks at Challenges. That one in the first half was idiotic, and it prevented him from a real challenge in the 2nd half that would have resulted in a James Conner TD. He needs to get a freakin guy whose whole job is to watch for Challenges. He's so bad at it. 

Thank goodness we didn't have to rely on a Bos FG for the win, I probably would have had a heart attack. 

If Bell comes back this week that would be awesome. A week or more to prepare for the next game, and Conner is playing well enough that we wouldn't have to throw him in 100% right at the start. I don't want to trade Bell. I still have hope for this season and think that good players making our team better is a good thing. I don't think he'll play at half speed, I think once he shows up he'll be full go. That might be naive, but players that try to take it easy, like playing while injured, usually get hurt worse. I think he comes back and balls out.
I agree with all of your post.   Artie is a liability but I am pleased with how well the rest of the defense has been playing.  There have been a few breakdowns but the increased blitzing has made a definite impact.

I am not sure when Bell comes back but when he does I think they bring him in slowly the first couple of weeks and then get to a balance between him and Conner.  If Bell plays he is not going to dog it, I'll think he'll give his best effort.  He almost has to so he can show that he is better than Conner and that his (Bell's) production wasn't due to playing on a good offense with a good o-line.

Tomlin routinely blows challenges -- someone else needs to help him out in this regard.

I am also glad it didn't come to a Boz FG attempt.  I didn't even like his kickoffs yesterday.

I thought that Marvin Lewis should have been running the ball a lot more than he did yesterday.  Mixon was getting some nice yardage.

Guess nobody else knows, either... :shrug:

Sure would like to know more before Wednesday pm FAAB. Can only hold on to potential for so long...

Guess nobody else knows, either... :shrug:

Sure would like to know more before Wednesday pm FAAB. Can only hold on to potential for so long...
I doubt you're going to learn more than you know now: He's behind AB, JuJu, McDonald, Switzer, Conner and maybe even Jesse James when it comes to target preference.  If/when Bell comes back, he'll drop another notch.

Patrick Peterson reportedly on the block - I say the Steelers should do everything they can to get him
Agreed.  They won't want Bell with DJ signed long-term, maybe trade Bell for a 2019 3rd rounder, package that with their 2019 2nd rounder and maybe a 2020 pick?  Or if they don't want to trade Bell, offer a 2019 2nd and 3rd and a 2020 4th?  We'll get the third back as compensatory when Bell walks anyway.  Peterson and Haden would be a really nice bookend pair.  He's still under contract for 2 more years after this one for a fairly reasonable salary (~$25M total over 2 years) and could be cut if necessary with almost no dead money ($1.2M after this season and $600K after next) if for whatever reason it doesn't work out.

The trade rumors are saying that a 2nd and late pick will get it done. Why hasn't this happened yet? Peterson and Haden as our 2 CBs? Jesus.
I'd give up a 2nd and a late round pick right now.  He's one of the best corners in the league and the defense would take a massive leap forward getting him on the field.

steelers1080 said:
The trade rumors are saying that a 2nd and late pick will get it done. Why hasn't this happened yet? Peterson and Haden as our 2 CBs? Jesus.
So how would this work. He has a cap number of 15 million this year. Would they have to fit that whole number in under the cap or do they pro-rated it. 

So how would this work. He has a cap number of 15 million this year. Would they have to fit that whole number in under the cap or do they pro-rated it. 
The Steelers would be responsible for his remaining salary this season which I think is about 6.3M right now.  According to overthecap.com the next two seasons Peterson has an 11M salary and small (250K) roster and workout bonuses.  

From overthecap.com -

"

Peterson's 2017 base salary is also guaranteed for injury only and $5 million will become fully guaranteed if on the roster the 5th day of the 2016 waiver period with the remaining $4.75 million becoming fully guaranteed on the the 5th day of the 2017 waiver period. $630,866 of his 2018 salary  for injury only. If Peterson is on the Cardinals roster the 5th day of the 2017 waiver period he will earn an additional $4.75 million in full guarantees. The contract contains annual workout bonuses of $250,000 and a reporting bonus of $250,000 in 2020."

Steelers Depot mentioned that maybe Bell failed a drug test, which could be holding him up. Not sure if you can even be tested while technically not under contract, or how that factors into all this, but wanted to put it out there, since nobody seems to know what the hell is going on, probably not even Bell himself.

The Peterson thing ain't happening. We can dream, but it ain't. Not the Steelers way. When's the last time they made a big splash in the free agency/trade market? Probably not in my lifetime.

Joe Thomas was on Golic and Wingo today. He basically said he'd be very wary of trusting Bell to do anything this year, and the Steelers should put him on the practice squad for a week before considering activating him at all.  Make him prove that he's fully committed to being here if and when he does report, because otherwise he puts the team at risk too.  And if he doesn't, suspend him for conduct detrimental and not pay him at all.  I believe he also mentioned that the suspension would prevent him from reaching free agency, but I'm not sure that's true... he'd know better than me though.

A former elite player talking about a current player like that? I found it interesting.

Joe Thomas was on Golic and Wingo today. He basically said he'd be very wary of trusting Bell to do anything this year, and the Steelers should put him on the practice squad for a week before considering activating him at all.  Make him prove that he's fully committed to being here if and when he does report, because otherwise he puts the team at risk too.  And if he doesn't, suspend him for conduct detrimental and not pay him at all.  I believe he also mentioned that the suspension would prevent him from reaching free agency, but I'm not sure that's true... he'd know better than me though.

A former elite player talking about a current player like that? I found it interesting.
I don't think that Bell is eligible for the practice squad.

Also, on the Peterson trade that should happen. If they can trade for him this week they'd have an extra week to work him into the defense. It makes too much sense and would make so many of us happy. 0% chance it happens. He probably gets traded to KC for a 3rd just to piss us off. 

That and all it takes is another team signing him to their active roster to take him for nothing. This is a dumb idea.

Roster exemption makes sense, practice squad is silly.
I honestly didn't research what he said. I kind of assumed that Joe Thomas knows what he's talking about, but maybe I heard wrong (I don't think I did) or he was just incorrect.

If he's signed to the Franchise Tag, I'm not sure what the rules to the practice squad are - who can run with that group or be assigned to it for a period of time.  

https://player.fm/series/golic-and-wingo/hour-4-joe-thomas-19aOZds7tjm43uxX

My mistake - Joe Thomas didn't say he should be on the practice squad, he said the Steelers should put him on the scout team for a week, and if he doesn't prove he's committed he should be suspended and unpaid, which will impact his ability to become a free agent.

If you click on the Joe Thomas clip from hour 4 today, he starts talking about 12:45 and he discusses the scout team stuff and the "hardball approach" the Steelers need to take at 14:00.

https://player.fm/series/golic-and-wingo/hour-4-joe-thomas-19aOZds7tjm43uxX

My mistake - Joe Thomas didn't say he should be on the practice squad, he said the Steelers should put him on the scout team for a week, and if he doesn't prove he's committed he should be suspended and unpaid, which will impact his ability to become a free agent.

If you click on the Joe Thomas clip from hour 4 today, he starts talking about 12:45 and he discusses the scout team stuff and the "hardball approach" the Steelers need to take at 14:00.
This makes 100% more sense. Scout team is basically just the inactive players who play against the active rostered players. I don't agree that it makes sense to pay a guy and not play him, and proving that he's not playing 100% would probably be tough, not sure if they could suspend him.  Overall, not a huge fan of this idea, but I get why people are afraid that he'll put out 50% effort. I think he'll play his butt off because otherwise all the news will say he's done and he won't get paid as much. 

Steelers think they can get Artie Burns going during the bye week.

Seems a bit naive to me, but I guess they can't come out and say "He's playing like crap, that's why we benched him. He has 0 confidence right now and almost every decision he makes is the wrong one. Or he pass interferes when it's not necessary on an unlikely catchable ball. Also, giving up 14 yards of buffer when the opponent is on the 14 yard line seems like a bad choice."

If they say that then he might not bounce back as quickly. He needs to be sat for a majority of snaps until he shows he's turned things around in practice. Have him go against Juju and AB and if he doesn't show vast improvement, keep him on the pine. 

Yes that's great.  Baltimore still looks impressive though.  Cincy not so much.
I still think Baltimore's defense is overrated. If there was less wind (it was crazy windy in Baltimore Sunday), then I think Brees would have torched them. They've gone against mostly bad QBs or Division rivals who they know well. If they shut us down again on the 4th I'll begin to be a believer, and if they shut down the Chiefs, I'll really believe it. 

This team needs to get a deal done for Patrick Peterson even if that means revoking Bell’s tag. I will be disgusted if it’s the Pats or Chiefs that gets a deal done.
The owner said he's not available for trade, usually that's the end of it. 

*Hadn't seen that Peterson is now actively asking for a trade. Maybe it is possible now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think Baltimore's defense is overrated. If there was less wind (it was crazy windy in Baltimore Sunday), then I think Brees would have torched them. They've gone against mostly bad QBs or Division rivals who they know well. If they shut us down again on the 4th I'll begin to be a believer, and if they shut down the Chiefs, I'll really believe it. 

The owner said he's not available for trade, usually that's the end of it. 
Peterson came out to the media today and said he wants out. Obviously, you’re correct that the owner could just flat out say no, but there is some hard ball going on and it should be fully explored.

“Cardinals’ All Pro CB Patrick Peterson has asked Arizona to deal him by the Oct. 30 trade deadline, per league sources. Peterson feels as if the situation is deteriorating and continues to reaffirm to others that he “desperately” wants out, per source.” Per Adam Schefter

This team needs to get a deal done for Patrick Peterson even if that means revoking Bell’s tag.
I never thought there would be a reason for the Steelers would revoke Bells' tag - until now.  Dump Bell (and the 2020 3rd round pick), trade a first (if necessary) for Peterson, win the SB so the first is the last in the round  :towelwave:

What do we think it would take to get Peterson?  Maybe the owner saying "no way" is an attempt to increase the cost of getting Peterson?

Peterson came out to the media today and said he wants out. Obviously, you’re correct that the owner could just flat out say no, but there is some hard ball going on and it should be fully explored.
Yeah, as soon as I replied I saw the Peterson news. When a player starts saying publicly that he wants out, it often happens. You don't want people in the locker room creating trouble, but they might hold him because he's a great player on a reasonable contract and they don't want everyone saying they want out.

I remain hopeful that a deal goes through with the Steelers, aka From Steelers West to Steelers Best. 

I never thought there would be a reason for the Steelers would revoke Bells' tag - until now.  Dump Bell (and the 2020 3rd round pick), trade a first (if necessary) for Peterson, win the SB so the first is the last in the round  :towelwave:

What do we think it would take to get Peterson?  Maybe the owner saying "no way" is an attempt to increase the cost of getting Peterson?
I can’t imagine there won’t be a big market for him. Most of the league could use a #1 CB.

Users who are viewing this thread