What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mock NBA Draft - And that's a wrap! Thanks everyone! (1 Viewer)

@scoobus @thecatch @wikkidpissah @Long Ball Larry @Capella @Koya @modogg @Worm @Spartans Rule @TobiasFunke @SWC @Frostillicus @JMon348 @flranger @Charlie Harper @Chemical X

Anyone want to take another team drafting in the first round?  If you want one of the teams only drafting in the second round (Houston, New Orleans, OKC) that's fine too although we also could decide on those teams later as we get into the second round.

We'll start as soon as tonight if the Warriors win.  Although if we don't get any/many picks over the weekend, that's understandable and to be expected.

i'll take whatever's left as my 2nd - as long as i've locked up my 27th favorite NBA franchise with the Hawks, anything else is gravy...

ETA: and stay on your toes, Mem/Dal/Orl et al - my 1.03 selection is one i havent seen mocked to Atl

Last edited by a moderator:
With the 1st pick of the 2018 NBA Draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

1.01 Deandre Ayton, Center, University of Arizona

I have him quite a bit above the rest of the other potential prospects who might be considered at #1, not necessarily because he's a can't miss, but because the others around him have much bigger question marks IMO.  Ayton should be able to make an immediate impact for a Suns team starving for a lead talent, and also with a gaping hole at C.  Elite size (7'0" 260 lbs 7'5" wingspan) and athleticism, excellent rebounding, potential to develop consistent shot out to 3 point range, game suited for the modern NBA.  Needs to improve on defense, but has the tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3FfAMEeRFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8hEttrFco

1.02- Luka Doncic

Here’s the case for him. Best Euro prospect ever on paper. In Today’s League you can’t have enough guys who can dribble, pass, and shoot, and he should do all of those really well in the NBA. He pairs with Fox, Bogdan, and Hield to give the Kings a nice rotation at the 1-3, with a lot of shooting and playmaking together out on the court at any given time. If Giles (also a plus passer apparently) was able to get healthy last year, this team could be legit fun to watch despite remaining pretty bad (28-33 wins).

There’s been a lot of smoke about Bagley or Porter here. I’m skeptical. Divac loves to trade down, and maybe they want Atlanta to get nervous and trade up for one of those guys. I will say this - the Kings have the most Euro-centric front office in the league, and if they don’t want anything to do with Doncic, I’d be really nervous about pulling the trigger on him if I’m one of the next few teams picking. 

1.03 Mo Bamba, C, UT

While it's hard to resist a kid who blocks 5 per 40 AND shoots 40 from three, like the player most have mocked to this spot, i got a reason to take the guy who may be the first to actually catch another player's shot on the way up for Atlanta. The Hawks' biggest talent is John Collins, a player who will be whoever you need him to be, who needs a reason to see what he should be. He wandered the floor a LOT in his rookie season, usually ending up sinking down low and it hurt his development. There will be no floating to the post with Mo there for John and, while it's a bit of an experiment with teams actually looking to get shorter these days, i wanna see this duo be the Big Peach's Horford/Millsap for the next few years.

@Long Ball Larry OTC

1.04 Jaren Jackson, PF, Michigan State

First, thank you to the catch and wikkid for making this decision easy for me, as they took the other 2 guys that I was considering.  At 6'11 with a 7'5" wingspan and the ability to shoot and pick and pop, plus the defensive ability make him the clear pick for me.  He can fit in with anyone and hopefully give Memphis a lift as the 3rd player if Conley and Gasol can stay healthy for the next 3 years.  The Grizzlies could realize as much talent as they can get at any position, but his 2-way ability and ideal frame for the modern NBA stretch 4 give the Grizzlies a lot to like.

First, thank you to the catch and wikkid for making this decision easy for me, as they took the other 2 guys that I was considering.  At 6'11 with a 7'5" wingspan and the ability to shoot and pick and pop, plus the defensive ability make him the clear pick for me.  He can fit in with anyone and hopefully give Memphis a lift as the 3rd player if Conley and Gasol can stay healthy for the next 3 years.  The Grizzlies could realize as much talent as they can get at any position, but his 2-way ability and ideal frame for the modern NBA stretch 4 give the Grizzlies a lot to like.
yeah, everybody's mocking him to ATL & the #s are outstanding, but he flunked the Markelle Fultz test for me. i dont watch much college ball and, when Fultz was at Wa i flipped across one of their games when i was on the phone and i watched muted for an entire half without being able to tell who the big star everyone was talking about was. since that judgement panned out, this season when the Spartans had a big game i decided to watch it muted to see who i liked better, Jackson or Bridges. The player who was their real star turned out to be Bridges and i actually like their center more than JJax, which is why i looked elsewhere in this spot

He seems like a good prospect but I have trouble seeing him and Gasol playing together if the Grizzlies are trying to reload instead of rebuild. 

He seems like a good prospect but I have trouble seeing him and Gasol playing together if the Grizzlies are trying to reload instead of rebuild. 
I was thinking about the fits with gasol for both Jackson and bamba, but I’m assuming that Jackson and he can both play outside or inside and Jackson can switch on to wings and this team is just so bereft of talent that I couldn’t justify thinking that much more about fit.  Couldn’t get over Bagleys defensive woes, don’t trust young or Sexton on defense, and just seemed too high for mikal bridges.

i agree that there are risks that Jackson can’t put it all together and is just another toolsy bust.

1.02- Luka Doncic

Here’s the case for him. Best Euro prospect ever on paper. In Today’s League you can’t have enough guys who can dribble, pass, and shoot, and he should do all of those really well in the NBA. He pairs with Fox, Bogdan, and Hield to give the Kings a nice rotation at the 1-3, with a lot of shooting and playmaking together out on the court at any given time. If Giles (also a plus passer apparently) was able to get healthy last year, this team could be legit fun to watch despite remaining pretty bad (28-33 wins).

There’s been a lot of smoke about Bagley or Porter here. I’m skeptical. Divac loves to trade down, and maybe they want Atlanta to get nervous and trade up for one of those guys. I will say this - the Kings have the most Euro-centric front office in the league, and if they don’t want anything to do with Doncic, I’d be really nervous about pulling the trigger on him if I’m one of the next few teams picking. 
He looks too slow, not sure if his offense will be enough to offset his defense. 

He looks too slow, not sure if his offense will be enough to offset his defense. 
Athleticism seems to be the knock, but I’m not sure we can really judge given his workload over the last 18 months as a 19 year old. The commentators that have watched him for awhile that I’ve heard interviewed don’t seem to think he will have a problem competing athletically in the NBA. We’ll see. 

woulda got off Bamba real quick if Doncic had dropped to 1.03. i spent a lot of time this season harshing the Sixers for having 3-4 slowhites on the floor at one time, but one is dealable, especially if he has multiple ways to make sure the ball gets in the hole on the other end. gimme a player who needs to be stopped over a stopper every time

Running to second kid birthday party of the day so don't have time for much of a writeup but at 1.05 Dallas has to be pretty stoked to see Marvin Bagley out of Duke slip to them.

At 1.07 Bulls select Michael Porter, Jr.

Arguably considered the best prospect in his high school class.  At this point in the draft, his ceiling makes him worth the risk of busting due to reoccurring back problems.  The Bulls need a star.

Um, up? ####. 

Ill do my best here hopefully I can do like two googles quick as I'm on way to Indy Race. I'll find a way to pick 

ETA:  TYPICAL ####### UNPREPARED KNICKS 

Um, up? ####. 

Ill do my best here hopefully I can do like two googles quick as I'm on way to Indy Race. I'll find a way to pick 

ETA:  TYPICAL ####### UNPREPARED KNICKS 
take Isaac Haas & give him a unicorn haircut so the trendsucking seasonticketers will think Porzingis is still playing next season

Ok, had to drive because my bud is already 2.5 sheets. Will research now. 

BTW, Indy cars fun. 

Wendell Carter Jr. - better than whomever they'll end up choosing.

in all seriousness, with Porzi out possibly the year, I want a versitile modern big as both hedge, and with the upside of freeingup Porzingas matchup wise. And there's some options at guard with he young mess we have, so can work on that elsewhere/next.

Oh, and we'll sign Lebron, duh.

What could go wrong? :oldunsure:  

Wendell Carter Jr. - better than whomever they'll end up choosing.

in all seriousness, with Porzi out possibly the year, I want a versitile modern big as both hedge, and with the upside of freeingup Porzingas matchup wise. And there's some options at guard with he young mess we have, so can work on that elsewhere/next.

Oh, and we'll sign Lebron, duh.

What could go wrong? :oldunsure:  
I almost picked him at 7.  I think he's one of the most underrated players in the draft.

i'll blame my picks on the Colangelo family giving one final FU to the Sixers.

didn't think this guy would make it, and i worry cause a lot of people like him for the 6'ers cause he is a local guy. but anybody being drafted by the Sixers won't be expected to start. Sixers getting Lebron and thinking of Kawhi with a trade so good cheap bench depth is good

#10 - Mikal Bridges, Villanova, SF  -  should actually be an awesome fit for the Sixer with his outside shot improving so much. Always has been a good defensive guy, so Sixers can rely on keeping him in there and taking care of his guy. his 3 point shooting will always be welcome. 

SIde note, i really dislike Villanova so would have been happy to not draft Bridges. But kid is legit good, and a great fit on this Sixers team. an athletic wing will be so welcoming when they play these young athletic teams like the Celtics. 

ETA: @Worm all you....  @Spartans Rule you are up soon

i'll blame my picks on the Colangelo family giving one final FU to the Sixers.

didn't think this guy would make it, and i worry cause a lot of people like him for the 6'ers cause he is a local guy. but anybody being drafted by the Sixers won't be expected to start. Sixers getting Lebron and thinking of Kawhi with a trade so good cheap bench depth is good

#10 - Mikal Bridges, Villanova, SF  -  should actually be an awesome fit for the Sixer with his outside shot improving so much. Always has been a good defensive guy, so Sixers can rely on keeping him in there and taking care of his guy. his 3 point shooting will always be welcome. 

SIde note, i really dislike Villanova so would have been happy to not draft Bridges. But kid is legit good, and a great fit on this Sixers team. an athletic wing will be so welcoming when they play these young athletic teams like the Celtics. 

ETA: @Worm all you....
That was my other option, and was tough to pass a Big East guy. 

also open to any trades. got 4 2nd rounders, anybody interested? @flranger you guys want a 2nd round and Bayliss to get rid of Korver's contract?

Users who are viewing this thread