What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (6 Viewers)

I'm surprised to see Washington hasn't come up much here. I've currently managed to put WFT, Cleveland, and Chicago on my roster with Tampa sitting on the wire. I'm currently starting Washington but that will likely change many times between now and Friday.

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.
Yeah I have both BUF and MIA Ds and I don't like Miami anymore. On the road travelling west...after a big win against NE...and it looks like D. Carr will play.

BUF on the rise, NE on the decline. It's a statement game on MNF in NE. The changing of the guard means, I believe both the BUF offense and defense will be inspired. 
Agree with this. I feel like Buffalo has the potential to crush NE.

As a NE fan I'm dreading it. On Monday night football, could see a blowout and all kinds of talk about "this is the end of the dynasty" blah blah blah.

As a fantasy football fan, I'm thinking I could see a lot of Buffalo celebrations after turnovers/TDs.

Agree with this. I feel like Buffalo has the potential to crush NE.

As a NE fan I'm dreading it. On Monday night football, could see a blowout and all kinds of talk about "this is the end of the dynasty" blah blah blah.

As a fantasy football fan, I'm thinking I could see a lot of Buffalo celebrations after turnovers/TDs.
Josh Allen also starts for two teams along with Beasley as of late and Bass. Shifting from PIT D and its players to BUF. 

Anyone have the stones to start Houston this week? A bottom 5 defense ranked #2 by FBG and highly ranked by other sites as well.

Anyone have the stones to start Houston this week? A bottom 5 defense ranked #2 by FBG and highly ranked by other sites as well.
There's a reason this #2 ranked D sits out there in both of my leagues. Nobody wants to jump and they haven't done anything ...yet. 

I can't do it. Hope it works out for those with the stones to start them.

I have the same issue and trying to decide between them and the LA Chargers (see above)! What did you decide?

I can decide between 

TB @ Det

Mia @ LV 

Both ranked pretty closely, but being able to watch TB of Friday is tempting.

I have the same issue and trying to decide between them and the LA Chargers (see above)! What did you decide?
I haven't decided yet. Trying to figure out why they are so highly ranked when they just gave up 410 yards and 37 points to the Bears two weeks ago. I know they play the Bengals but a much better defense, Steelers, did nothing against them Monday night other than a few sacks. I can see top 7 or 8 but #2? I'm hesitant because they've been bad (real bad) most weeks outside of their game with Detroit when they (Watt) scored a TD.

I'm going to go with TB against Detroit: a good (not great) D, Stafford (if he plays, probably will) gets sacked a lot, and most of the Lions' defensive coaches are out with COVID.

My alternatives are LAC vs Denver, Philly vs Dallas, and Seattle vs LAR.

I think TB gives me the best chance.

Ridden the Dolphins and Rams all season. Don't really like Miami heading west this week, after a big division win. Rams are interesting despite being on the road. Seahawks offense isn't really clicking, and the Rams did a good job on them first meeting. They're also coming off an embarrassing loss. 

Also picked up the Chiefs this week. Seems like a good game script for a fantasy defense. They're also at home and it feels like a game they can rush the passer. Matt Ryan playing better last week gives me some pause, however. 

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking for alternatives to the PIT defense for the first time all season. I think PIT will play better against a less mobile QB in Rivers, but I just don’t trust the PIT offense protecting the ball.

Right now I am leaning towards CAR defense which put a lot of pressure on Rodgers last week and had an extra day to prepare for WFT. I don’t see a lot of people talking about CAR, but I like their chances over HOU and LAC.

Dolphins or Panthers for me. Not sure. The way Carolina played GB I’m leaning that route with McLaurin out and Gibson/Smith iffy. Dolphins are tough. Was a little disappointed in their inability to get much pressure last week though 

I'm going to go with TB against Detroit: a good (not great) D, Stafford (if he plays, probably will) gets sacked a lot, and most of the Lions' defensive coaches are out with COVID.
I was strongly thinking about TB for many of the same reasons but I also have Buffalo @ NE and just picked up Arizona against a depleted 49ers team. Too many good choices but I am starting to lean towards Buffalo since the Pats have been so inept on offense.

Had decided to roll with CLE over TB, now reading that the CLE facility is shut down while they do contact tracing and the plane to NJ is delayed.

Scrambling now for options just in case -- looking at CAR (vs WAS) and LAC (vs DEN).

IND is there but don't like the match up, as is LAR against a SEA team that's hard to tell how the points might come.

I actually was going to roll with Hou over Pittsburgh D and once I read Colts will be down 2 starting O-Lineman ... Im back on the Blitzburgh Bandwagon 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had decided to roll with CLE over TB, now reading that the CLE facility is shut down while they do contact tracing and the plane to NJ is delayed.

Scrambling now for options just in case -- looking at CAR (vs WAS) and LAC (vs DEN).

IND is there but don't like the match up, as is LAR against a SEA team that's hard to tell how the points might come.

Had CLE locked and loaded. Dropped Arizona just this morning for maximum roster flexibility on Sunday (no point in waking up tomorrow morning with already-played players on my bench).

30 minutes later word broke out that CLE defense looks to be hit by covid.

I have them in there for now. PHI (vs DAL) already on the bench. Not sure if they're a better play than CAR (vs WFT)... no room to pick them up just yet but seriously considering the move for insurance...

Texans defense was the highest projected DST free agent in my league. 

I intentionally didn't use my waiver priority to get them and left them sitting there for my opponent to pick up. 

He took the bait. Earned myself 14 points so far. 

Thanks guys.  I was going w HOU until I read the comments in this thread- went with TAM instead and coasted to the win.

I need Buffalo to exceed their projection tonight.

Seems like most of the waiver wire Ds were mediocre to busts yesterday -- Hou, LAC, KC, NO, AZ, CLE. Here's to hoping Buffalo is the hit.

Huge NE fan too, but half hoping Bill B. pulls some starters, plays some young guys, and maybe gives Stidham a shot. Look to the future, give me some turnivers and pick 6es. Win win for everyone.

I need Buffalo to exceed their projection tonight.

Seems like most of the waiver wire Ds were mediocre to busts yesterday -- Hou, LAC, KC, NO, AZ, CLE. Here's to hoping Buffalo is the hit.

Huge NE fan too, but half hoping Bill B. pulls some starters, plays some young guys, and maybe gives Stidham a shot. Look to the future, give me some turnivers and pick 6es. Win win for everyone.
If the NE D gives up 28 or more points and the Bills can limit sacks and TOs I have a chance of winning my league's point total prize. Here's hoping!

Justin Fields skepticism is baffling; top five unicorns in the 2021 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

BROWNS: Clowney signing further reveals plan

Defense! Defense! Defense!

If you were wondering how the Browns were looking to make the jump from good to great in 2021, general manager Andrew Berry tipped his hand with his offseason maneuvering. The savvy exec has made a concerted effort to upgrade the Browns' defense at every level. While we can debate the merits of some of the players added to the lineup, there is no disputing Cleveland's commitment to retooling the defense with more speed, athleticism and playmaking ability.

With the free-agent signings of safety John Johnson III, linebacker Anthony Walker, nickel corner Troy Hill, defensive tackle Malik Jackson and -- most recently -- edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney, the Browns have the potential to field a defense that could go toe-to-toe with their division rivals. Optimism for the unit is warranted, especially based on the potential of the front line. Clowney joins forces with Myles Garrett to give Cleveland a disruptive tandem of former No. 1 overall picks on the edges. Although Clowney is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher, he is a disruptive force when he is healthy and engaged. The ultra-athletic defender is a shop wrecker with relentless energy and a non-stop motor. When Clowney decides to turn up, he is nearly impossible to block off the edge, particularly as a run-and-chase defender.

"We love his relentless style of play," Berry said in a press release following the signing. "He's one of the more disruptive players in the game and we think he's going to add an element of ruggedness along our defensive line.

"The other thing we love about Jadeveon is his versatility, his ability to play all across the front and impact the game regardless of his alignment."

Berry's comments about Clowney's versatility could reveal the Browns' plans for maximizing his talents as a disruptor. The 6-5, 255-pounder is capable of aligning anywhere from nose tackle to defensive end to take advantage of a weak blocker at the line of scrimmage. This utilization of Clowney as a queen on the chessboard could unlock Cleveland's disruptive potential at the point of attack. Considering Clowney has been one of the most doubled-teamed defenders in the league over the past few years, the Browns' supporting cast -- which also now includes former first-round pick/free-agent signee Takkarist McKinley -- and mobility plan could result in the front line controlling the game. And pressure from the defensive line will create more opportunities for the team's improved secondary.

That said, Clowney's arrival alone does not guarantee an improved pass rush from the Browns. The 28-year-old has never reached double-digit sacks in a season, only notching three QB takedowns over the past 21 games. This is partially because he has always relied on natural athleticism over technique. With Clowney lacking a vast repertoire of pass-rush maneuvers, offensive tackles are able to sit on his primary move and stymie his pass-rush attempts.

With injuries also impacting his availability and disruptive potential, the three-time Pro Bowler is more of a mythical figure than a real superhero. Perhaps things change when he plays in the Dawg Pound, though. Clowney's presence needs to be accompanied by production for Cleveland to overtake the competition and snag the AFC crown.

I really like Denver rn from an ADP perspective. They're going off around DST14 and they should be an outstanding unit this fall. Though it's a always a crap shoot if a good defense is going to translate into a good FF D (turnovers, TDs) I think they won't hurt you in any way and if you're like me taking your DST in the last round, good chance they'll still be there.

Cleveland and KC are other good mid-range ADP DSTs who should do well.

Users who are viewing this thread