Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

16 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Any worry about the Giants and Browns just running? Not many opportunity for sacks or picks? 

The Browns offense is scoring well this year. The Giants and Jets will not be able to just run the ball, because they'll probably be chasing points. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

3 hours ago, Broncobiv said:

I dropped AZ in one league and SEA in another, and picked up CLE in both. Hard to argue with @NYG and @NYJ for the last 2 playoff rounds! 

I worry at the points the Browns have given up over the last few weeks.

12 hours ago, TDCommish said:

He moved them down a little bit.

I'm not sure how valuable Arizona will be this week.  Hurts was sacked 3 times by GB after he came in (and they were already down big, allowing GB to key on the pass).  Last week, against NO, he wasn't sacked at all.  

He's much quicker to run or throw the ball away than Wentz, and that might prevent the matchup against Philly from being such a boon for opposing D/ST.  

I picked up Arizona and Dallas before week 13, because I had already secured a 1st round bye & liked the idea of having the D facing the Eagles in the two playoff weeks.  Now I'm debating between picking up Chicago for this week, instead of Arizona.😒

On 12/17/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ardbeg4ever said:

Yeah it's the classic "Movable Object vs the Resistable Force" but going with Rams against SEA or MIA vs Vegas is also risky.

Vegas with Mariota and without Jacobs is an attractive matchup imo. Cahrgers made Mariata look good, but I suspect he'll play differently against a real defense. 

12 hours ago, bolldpt said:

I am seriously considering Sea since Alex isn't  starting. I have Mia vs NE and Buff vs Den.

I own MIA and BUF and in your case I think SEA with Haskins starting is too much to pass up.

I'm going Miami over BUF D because I just don't think NE can move the ball and Miami's offense appears healthier. BUF situation screams of a bit of a letdown...big PIT win...west coast ish trip...NE next week. Just think Lock and the DEN running game could disappoint BUF D owners.

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

I own MIA and BUF and in your case I think SEA with Haskins starting is too much to pass up.

I'm going Miami over BUF D because I just don't think NE can move the ball and Miami's offense appears healthier. BUF situation screams of a bit of a letdown...big PIT win...west coast ish trip...NE next week. Just think Lock and the DEN running game could disappoint BUF D owners.

Ya the Den offense lately would give me pause where as it wouldn't have 4 weeks ago. The NE matchup just seems so tasty but what NE did against the Chargers a few weeks ago gives me pause with rookie QB. Seems like that could be a grind out slugfest . Not even sure right now what the over/under is in that game. If Mia had Fitz going I'd be inclined to roll Mia. They have the better D than Sea but man Haskins and no Gibson..... decisions 🤔

Teams looking for a cheap, available WW pickup going into the weekend could do a lot worse than snagging the Packers for tonight's game vs Panthers. Rodgers playing chip-on-the-shoulder-on-a-mission. No mercy. Playing in Lambeau in prime time, Panthers with no McCaffery, and little to nothing to play for, in the cold, dark winter Wisconsin night. I can't see how this isn't a laugher of a blowout, and if so, the Packer D should feast.

Edited by nittanylion
44 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Teams looking for a cheap, available WW pickup going into the weekend could do a lot worse than snagging the Packers for tonight's game vs Panthers. Rodgers playing chip-on-the-shoulder-on-a-mission. No mercy. Playing in Lambeau in prime time, Panthers with no McCaffery, and little to nothing to play for, in the cold, dark winter Wisconsin night. I can't see how this isn't a laugher of a blowout, and if so, the Packer D should feast.

The Panthers will play for pride. They will put up a fight. It may not work out for them, but they will try. 

4 hours ago, bolldpt said:

Ya the Den offense lately would give me pause where as it wouldn't have 4 weeks ago. The NE matchup just seems so tasty but what NE did against the Chargers a few weeks ago gives me pause with rookie QB. Seems like that could be a grind out slugfest . Not even sure right now what the over/under is in that game. If Mia had Fitz going I'd be inclined to roll Mia. They have the better D than Sea but man Haskins and no Gibson..... decisions 🤔

NE ruled D. Harris out. Easily their best offensive player. That means bum S. Michel gets some touches. And J. White is questionable.

25 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

NE ruled D. Harris out. Easily their best offensive player. That means bum S. Michel gets some touches. And J. White is questionable.

Are you trying to sway me with your Jedi mind tricks?

27 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Oof. This is making rolling with Buffalo extra tough. I don't think Denver can hang with Buffalo, and I'm looking for late sacks/turnovers to push it over the top.

I don't like MIA's offense enough to keep NE off the field, really. That's my thought in sticking with BUF.

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Oof. This is making rolling with Buffalo extra tough. I don't think Denver can hang with Buffalo, and I'm looking for late sacks/turnovers to push it over the top.

I don't like MIA's offense enough to keep NE off the field, really. That's my thought in sticking with BUF.

That's my concern as well with Mia. 

Seriously have my finger on the Miami trigger. Lookin' down that barrel of a gun/son of a gun/son a #####/gettin' paid/gettin' rich. it's queued up and ready. 

ETA: Nope. Buffalo.

Edited by rockaction

Went Miami. I don't like NE's offense at all. Putrid.

Swapped out Buffalo at the last second. DEN's run game and the threat of a good Lock was enough. I'd rather take my chances with Sony Michel and Cam Newton.

Edited by rockaction
40 minutes ago, xenon said:

PIT unless you can convince me otherwise.

+1

for week 16 though, I’m switching from PIT to CLE in one league

In my other league, Rams this week and deciding if I should just stick with the Rams in week 16 (Seattle will be tough, but the Rams D is playing at a high level) or pick up a "meh" defense (like Phi or TB) against crappy opponents. My gut says to dance with who brung ya. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, rockaction said:

Went Miami. I don't like NE's offense at all. Putrid.

Swapped out Buffalo at the last second. DEN's run game and the threat of a good Lock was enough. I'd rather take my chances with Sony Michel and Cam Newton.

The logic was sound on this one. If it weren't for that fumble/TD the BUF D would have had a lousy 5 pts.

39 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

The logic was sound on this one. If it weren't for that fumble/TD the BUF D would have had a lousy 5 pts.

Thanks, but a gentle disagreement. The whole point of this is "if it weren't for that..." and to account for it. You know? Like, "if the Jets weren't a dumpster fire at OL they wouldn't have has those six sacks," or "if Daniel Jones could feel pressure..." or "if...[insert whatever lousy offense does here]." That's the point, though, is that with all those mistakes, one catches up and becomes defensive gold. Lock almost had two pick sixes yesterday that should have been brought back to the house. They were, in the words of the late Dennis Green, what we thought they were. 

That said, I'm not despondent. Miami could easily hang twelve points in my league on the Pats and equal what Denver did yesterday. I'm hoping for eight or so, and I'll be happy with it.

But I take what you're saying. Thanks for the lift.

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Thanks, but a gentle disagreement. The whole point of this is "if it weren't for that..." and to account for it. You know? Like, "if the Jets weren't a dumpster fire at OL they wouldn't have has those six sacks," or "if Daniel Jones could feel pressure..." or "if...[insert whatever lousy offense does here]." That's the point, though, is that with all those mistakes, one catches up and becomes defensive gold. Lock almost had two pick sixes yesterday that should have been brought back to the house. They were, in the words of the late Dennis Green, what we thought they were. 

That said, I'm not despondent. Miami could easily hang twelve points in my league on the Pats and equal what Denver did yesterday. I'm hoping for eight or so, and I'll be happy with it.

But I take what you're saying. Thanks for the lift.

Yeah I hear you.

As I was watching the game in the first half, it was playing out as I had thought. DEN was moving the ball pretty well and had put 2 TDs on the board. To that point, I felt good about the decision to bench them. Then the fumble/TD of course. That said, usually when a good D matchup nets a defensive TD that defense scores 20+. 

Let's hope Miami keeps up the turnover streak today.

Just now, kyoun1e said:

Yeah I hear you.

As I was watching the game in the first half, it was playing out as I had thought. DEN was moving the ball pretty well and had put 2 TDs on the board. To that point, I felt good about the decision to bench them. Then the fumble/TD of course. That said, usually when a good D matchup nets a defensive TD that defense scores 20+

Let's hope Miami keeps up the turnover streak today.

Yeah, no doubt. I was heartened by that.

3 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

sounds like Garrett still isn't right

A lot of whether I play CLE or not this coming ship weekend will be up to the health status of Garrett and Sheldon Richardson.

On paper this looks like a dream match up but I do not like the recent trend of both the CLE D (allowing a lot of points, not generating defensive scoring opps. like sacks) and the NYJ O (suddenly look like they are playing with some fire).

• Like 1

Sure Cleveland got only 1 sack and 0 turnovers last night, but they also only gave up 6 points!  Even if the Giants had kicked their field goals, it would've only been 12 points.  And that's a heck of an improvement over the 47 and 35 they gave up the two weeks prior.  They should still be a safe play in week 16 @ NYJ.  Sure they'll give up a few more than 6 points, but they should also get some sacks/turnovers to make up for it.

Edited by Broncobiv
On 12/20/2020 at 10:22 AM, rockaction said:

Yeah, no doubt. I was heartened by that.

I hope you weren't watching the NE/MIA game and had the misfortune (like myself) of watching the fumble returned for a TD overturned. Pain.

Still holding BUF and hoping Bill B. pulls the plug on Cam for Stidham. BUF D will smell blood in the water and has been looking for this opportunity to crush NE for literally decades.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

I hope you weren't watching the NE/MIA game and had the misfortune (like myself) of watching the fumble returned for a TD overturned. Pain.

Still holding BUF and hoping Bill B. pulls the plug on Cam for Stidham. BUF D will smell blood in the water and has been looking for this opportunity to crush NE for literally decades.

I watch eight games on Game Mix on DirecTV, so I was aware, yes.

Not a bad thought about the Bills and Stidham. I had Chicago lined up for JAX, but alas, in the consolation game. (I got Ridley and Tannehill'd)

4 hours ago, Broncobiv said:

Sure Cleveland got only 1 sack and 0 turnovers last night, but they also only gave up 6 points!  Even if the Giants had kicked their field goals, it would've only been 12 points.  And that's a heck of an improvement over the 47 and 35 they gave up the two weeks prior.  They should still be a safe play in week 16 @ NYJ.  Sure they'll give up a few more than 6 points, but they should also get some sacks/turnovers to make up for it.

And did a hell of a lot better than the Rams.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Not wven sure what I will do for the finals.  Had to trust Rams against Seattle after that Jets performance.

Cleveland did fine against the Giants...can they repeat against the Jets?

Chicago against Jax?

They got one sack in the final minute of the game. The Giants 6 drives ended at the 8, 19, 6, 44, 40, and 21. Their score was acceptable because a bad Giants offense bypassed two first half field goal attempts, but even then it was not a needle mover in our game.

This is a bad defense. They've put up three quality performances all season - 2 were fueled by pick 6's and the other was against Dwayne Haskins in week 3. The Jets, like the Giants, are a bad offense. How confident are you in a pick 6? Cause aside from that there isn't any established upside in this group. If the front doesn't get home then they get picked apart all game log. I'd love to be wrong about this unit for once, but I'm chasing upside somewhere else. 

• Like 1
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread