What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (8 Viewers)

Not a lot of traffic here. As drafts start up, who are y'all looking at for early season streamers? Broncos may be a good bet starting with NYG, JAX, and NYJ. New England isn't a streaming option, but starts out strong against MIA, NYJ, and NO

Cleveland has Houston in week 2
Have to stash them with KC being there week one, but then HOU, CHI, and MIN is a pretty tasty stretch. I've heard some rumblings from analysts on podcasts that they just may be an actual good defense too. Not sure how much of that is the Clowney impact on perception.

Not a lot of traffic here. As drafts start up, who are y'all looking at for early season streamers? Broncos may be a good bet starting with NYG, JAX, and NYJ. New England isn't a streaming option, but starts out strong against MIA, NYJ, and NO
Preseason, yeah but the Broncos D has scored as many points as they have allowed.  There is serious top 5 team D potential there, and a pretty choice schedule to start with.

Preseason, yeah but the Broncos D has scored as many points as they have allowed.  There is serious top 5 team D potential there, and a pretty choice schedule to start with.

I really like the Denver defense this year. IRL. Fantasy?  :shrug:  Sometimes you need luck and a few good bounces (turnovers, TDs, et al.)

Anyone have an opinion on a one week DST rental for Week 1? Outside top 6 and preferably Top 10, not a hold but have a great matchup(s) to start off the year.

Anyone have an opinion on a one week DST rental for Week 1? Outside top 6 and preferably Top 10, not a hold but have a great matchup(s) to start off the year.
SF @ DET? I think they're outside the top 10 right now, but I'm thinking they look more like version 2019 than 2020 this year with all the returning injuries and offseason upgrades. It's preseason but they just wrecked the Chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty rough matchup in W1 with Green Bay but I think the Saints D takes another step this year and is a borderline set and forget DST that is often going undrafted in 12 team redrafts.  They were opportunistic with turnovers last year, and Cam Jordan and Marcus Davenport (ok so far in his career, but camp reports are glowing) lead a VERY good front 7 this year, and they're deep at LB. Payton loves to rotate players in and out all game long, and I'm seeing some of the beat reporters (Duncan namely) mentioning on Twitter that LB cuts are going to be TOUGH, they're all neck-and-neck. 

Not saying you should jump on them in your draft, I'd probably fade them against GB, but after Week 1 they can probably be had for cheap and have a decent chance at a top ~6 finish IMO. 

I really like the Denver defense this year. IRL. Fantasy?  :shrug:  Sometimes you need luck and a few good bounces (turnovers, TDs, et al.)

At the risk of sounding like a homer, Carolina has invested a lot in the defense and closed strong last year. They then drafted Horn and brought in some FAs. Also drafted Davyion Nixon who wrecked games for Iowa from DT. Snow runs a very complex scheme going from 4-3 to 3-4 to 3-5-3 sometimes. They don’t lack for talent and get Zach Wilson’s pro debut week 1. 

At the risk of sounding like a homer, Carolina has invested a lot in the defense and closed strong last year. They then drafted Horn and brought in some FAs. Also drafted Davyion Nixon who wrecked games for Iowa from DT. Snow runs a very complex scheme going from 4-3 to 3-4 to 3-5-3 sometimes. They don’t lack for talent and get Zach Wilson’s pro debut week 1. 

Def seems like a good week 1 choice. I ended up taking Miami bc I figured the MIA-NE game will have a low o/u. But CAR is on our wire & probably lightly owned if anyone wants a streamer.

Def seems like a good week 1 choice. I ended up taking Miami bc I figured the MIA-NE game will have a low o/u. But CAR is on our wire & probably lightly owned if anyone wants a streamer.
I have Miami in one league myself. They play a fantasy-friendly scheme with heavy blitzing, but also got a ton of TOs last year. Obviously that’s the goal, but it takes a bit of luck to get TOs and that doesn’t often translate year to year. If they can stop the run, they’re going to be very good. 

Went Denver for week 1. Not sure how good they'll be this year but I'm banking on the Giants dysfunction carrying into the season especially at Oline. We'll see how it goes. 

Went Denver for week 1. Not sure how good they'll be this year but I'm banking on the Giants dysfunction carrying into the season especially at Oline. We'll see how it goes. 

Denver s/b a great D IRL & 2-3 friendly matchups the start off the year

I think the default streamer this year might be whoever is facing Danny Dimes

dude has been stacking bad practIce on top of bad practice all summer & threw a GL interception in his only PS appearance 

Denver s/b a great D IRL & 2-3 friendly matchups the start off the year

I think the default streamer this year might be whoever is facing Danny Dimes

dude has been stacking bad practIce on top of bad practice all summer & threw a GL interception in his only PS appearance 
My thoughts as well. Bad QB, Bad Oline, RB returning from season ending injury and a coach who's a yeller. What could possibli go wrong?

Just in the last few days I've really come around on the Denver defense.   Their early season schedule is pretty good the first few weeks.

If they can help me win the first few and then I have to stream down the line as another team emerges, I'm good on that strategy.

TZM

Just in the last few days I've really come around on the Denver defense.   Their early season schedule is pretty good the first few weeks.

If they can help me win the first few and then I have to stream down the line as another team emerges, I'm good on that strategy.

TZM
Really like them this year. I may even reach for them a round or two early if I'm not excited by the RB/WR who are left.

Are there any HC/DC changes this year that could predict a DST leap? The old rule used to be always bet on a Wade Phillips D in his first year. 

One that comes to mind is the Chargers. Staley is a really smart guy, and while he no longer has two of the best defensive players in football, he does have Bosa and James. People were predicting good things for LA last year before they all got hurt.

Other possibility is Dean Pees in Atlanta.

I feel like, while the OCs keep getting younger, when it comes to DCs the best move is often to hire the crusty old codger.

I was hoping for the Patriots (facing the woeful AFC South all season) and the Broncos (strong matchups the first few weeks), but both got sniped several rounds ahead of where I wanted to take them. 

Ended up finding Chicago in the second-to-last round. They go Rams, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Raiders in the first 5 weeks, feels like a good find off the heap and see where things go.

Definitely on board with the Denver idea.  Besides the Giants, they then go Jags and Jets, who should be experiencing some growing pains.

Week 4 is Baltimore which won't be great, then Pittsburgh which may also not be great and the rest of the schedule isn't amazing, but they are a fairly good D and starting off with them and then seeing what happens with others seems like a good plan.

I was hoping for the Patriots (facing the woeful AFC South all season) and the Broncos (strong matchups the first few weeks), but both got sniped several rounds ahead of where I wanted to take them. 

Ended up finding Chicago in the second-to-last round. They go Rams, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Raiders in the first 5 weeks, feels like a good find off the heap and see where things go.
Honestly, I don't like those matchups at all this year except the Lions (who actually have a good OL).  

Who has a good ranking to view? I saw the first 4-5 for FBG, but not a subscriber.  Trying to understand how some teams (Pitt) are still ranking near the top?

Borrowed this from another thread - source was @LawFitz

Raiders just signed KJ Wright, after adding Denzel Perryman last week - these two moves could turn a huge weakness in their D at LB into a strength if they both pan out. All of a sudden, on paper at least, the Raiders D doesn't look so bad, with solid players at all three levels. They have the potential now to take some big strides this season under new DC Gus Bradley IMO.

IF they do, that is bad news for the fantasy prospects of Carr and the Raiders WRs and good news for Jacobs/Drake. Gruden is not the type of coach to run up leads. If the Raiders go up by 2+ TDs in any given week, expect heavy running thereafter.

I really need to spend some time this weekend doing homework on defenses before my drafts. But for now, here are my general thoughts on categories of defenses. Feel free to fill in the blanks on who you think fits in each category.

1. Stud defenses. These are the ones that were completely dominant the prior year. I never draft these guys because a) they always go way too high, and b) DST performance isn't sticky year-to-year, so the No. 1 defense from last year will not only not repeat, there's a good chance they won't even be start-worthy. Obvious candidate in 2021 is the Rams, possibly WFT as well.
  2. Legacy defenses. These defenses typically get overdrafted based on the franchise's reputation. Think Steelers, Ravens, Legion of Boom-era Seahawks. They still may be good some years, but you're almost always paying a premium. In addition to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, I'd probably include SF here as well based on their 2019 rep. While I could definitely see them bouncing back this year if they stay healthy, that doesn't mean I'm willing to draft up to get them.
  3. Defenses ready to make the leap. This is the sweet spot you should be looking for in your draft. You'll likely be able to get them in the next-to-last round (or maybe reach a round early if you want), but you've identified some characteristics that you think makes them underpriced. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the simple rule used to be, draft the defense that just hired Wade Phillips as DC (Houston in 2011, Denver in 2015 and LAR in 2017). In 2018 I had already identified the Bears as a leap candidate even before they traded for Khalil Mack. I didn't draft the Niners in 2019 but I did flag them early and got them on the WW in multiple leagues. As mentioned, my top candidate this year is the Broncos, possibly the Chargers as well. 
  4. Defenses with good matchups in Week 1/early in the season. Broncos definitely fit this category (Giants/Jags/Jets in first three weeks) as well as the Panthers (Jets/Saints/Texans). Niners have a great first two weeks (Lions/Eagles) but then they follow it with GB/SEA/AZ. For pure Week 1 streamers you could go Falcons (Eagles), Jags (Texans), Vikings (Cinci), or Ravens (LV). 
You could also look at the reverse: Chargers, who I see as a potential breakout, open with WFT/Dal/KC. No need to draft them but there's a good chance they'll be on the WW by Week 3.

Anyone have any information on teams with best Punt and Kickoff return units? I don't think there is any one great returner these days (years ago you could just draft the team Deion Sanders was on and get a plus for the punt returns and interceptions), but seems like even if there are capable returners they are being limited to their offensive/defensive position for fear of injuries.

Also anyone think their a team(s) that are best bets for most interceptions? Maybe the Rams

Users who are viewing this thread