What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (9 Viewers)

Defense Run went early in my draft, but managed to squeak in and grab NE before it was too late.  Their schedule doesn't look too bad.  We have a short bench (3 spots) so holding onto an extra D to stream is difficult.  I may have to pick/choose some battles down the road.

Defense Run went early in my draft, but managed to squeak in and grab NE before it was too late.  Their schedule doesn't look too bad.  We have a short bench (3 spots) so holding onto an extra D to stream is difficult.  I may have to pick/choose some battles down the road.
I was targeting Denver with their early season schedule (like a lot of people) but they got snagged just before me and I grabbed New England.  Looking at their schedule, I’m okay with it. 

I was targeting Denver with their early season schedule (like a lot of people) but they got snagged just before me and I grabbed New England.  Looking at their schedule, I’m okay with it. 
So far in 3/3 redrafts, I have Denver IN ALL THREE .

One more draft tonight, and I may well end up with them there too.  I said it before in other threads, but after week 3 I can figure the rest out.   Should be a strong start the first 3 weeks, and who knows they may be so good you are tempted to hold through some tougher weeks.

TZM

Got sniped by 1 spot where I wanted to take Denver, so I waited a couple rounds and took GB.  Think they could be a sneaky play.  They have a lot of good playmakers.

NO week 1 has a good chance at some turnovers and may not be in a good rhythm.

Then Detroit, which should be fairly soft.  Then SF which definitely could be tough, but also the QB situation may be up in the air.

PIT is a wild card I think depending on how Big Ben can perform.  Then you have Cincy, Chicago and WFT, none of which are scary and also could result in a lot of turnovers.

Not a slam dunk, but feels like it could be something...

I tend to stream week to week, and while looking ahead is potentially beneficial, injuries significantly change things. I would also argue that right now we don’t really know which defenses are utterly dominant to where matchups don’t matter. 

I’ve already mentioned Carolina for week 1, and same idea with Miami against Mac Jones (though I think NE will run the ball 40+ times if they can get away with it, and Miami’s weakness last year was power running games). I think another very sneaky start is the Chargers at Washington. If it wasn’t a 1:00 game on the east coast, I’d have less hesitation, but the Chargers have long been expected to ascend into the upper echelon of DSTs, but they’ve been utterly plagued by injury the last several years. 

For now, at least, they’re healthy. Joey Bosa and Derwin James bolster what was already a stout D, and Brandon Staley brings his knowledge as DC of the Rams last year to the scheme. Week 1 stacks them against Fitzpatrick who is super fun but super reckless, and perhaps of bigger concern, Washington’s starting OTs will be Sam Cosmi in his first ever game and Charles Leno, who turns 30 next month. Joey Bosa should be in Fitz’ face all game. 

Debating Buffalo, NO and GB. For this week only, GB looks like the best option (vs Det). But the other two have decent matchups this week and some good ones going forward as well:

Buffalo: @Mia/Wash/Hou

NO: @Car/@NE/NYG

GB: Det/@SF/Pitt

Debating Buffalo, NO and GB. For this week only, GB looks like the best option (vs Det). But the other two have decent matchups this week and some good ones going forward as well:

Buffalo: @Mia/Wash/Hou

NO: @Car/@NE/NYG

GB: Det/@SF/Pitt
Leaning Buffalo over GB for the three-week play, plus a hedge against the possibility that GB's performance against NO reflected some deeper problems.

We've got rid of D/ST and kickers in most of my leagues, but in the ones where they're still there I'm splitting Browns and Packers after taking Panthers in both in week 1

This early in the year I think we cannot say with certainty for the majority of teams if they do/do not have a good offense. I always try to choose based on low O/U, VS a team apt to commit turnovers, and win probability.

• Main league, GB v Det this week, Ari @ Jax next week, no idea W4
  •  L2 - Den, 2nd of 3 favorable matchups to open 
  • L3 - GB this week, NO Wk 3 and possibly beyond
  • L4 - Cle v Hou this week, Bal v Det next week

I only carry 2 defenses later in the year when I can see a few weeks ahead to a good matchup. Usually after week 8 or 9 though when you know who's good and who's bad. 

New England was decent last week. But nothing special.  Let’s see if they can prove it this week ranked number 1 against the jets.
I dumped NE for Arizona because they have a special look about them this year and I’m awestruck by the JJ Watt/Chandler Jones combo. I’m concerned about the caliber of NFC West offenses they’ll be facing but the talent is so good that I’ll start them until they put up a dud or suffer a key injury.

I also think that Kyler Murray is special this year and will put most of the opposing teams into a reckless play from behind mode where ints and sacks can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Bay seems like the play this week. Both Lions RBs are dinged up, Tyrell Willians still in concussion protocol, Goff had one completion of a pass that traveled over 15 yards in the first 58:42 last week.

Going with NO coming off that blowout and dismantling of GB last week. They have Carolina this week and then Mac Jones and NE next week. 

Going with NO coming off that blowout and dismantling of GB last week. They have Carolina this week and then Mac Jones and NE next week. 
I just saw they're missing 3 starters and I'm thinking I might pick up Seattle instead. Would have to drop like Pittman to do it though, hmm.

Im holding off hoping to get them for free for next week.  Have NE now and rolling with them against the Jets this week.  But following NO for NE, NYG, then WFT after that.

Im holding off hoping to get them for free for next week.  Have NE now and rolling with them against the Jets this week.  But following NO for NE, NYG, then WFT after that.
I was considering SF but not liking the loss of their starting corners and facing Philly's lightning fast receivers and a quick Hurts behind center.

Josh Dubow @JoshDubowAP

Joe Haden and Devin Bush inactive for Steelers vs #Raiders today after coming down with groin injuries late in the week
https://twitter.com/joshdubowap/status/1439617466611556352?s=21

Larry Holder @LarryHolder

Saints inactives: 
- Lattimore
- CJGJ
- McCoy
- Tamoh Kpassagnon
- Montravius Adams
- Pete Werner
- Ian Book

Your CBs: Roby, Adebo, P.J. Williams

Your DEs: Jordan, Granderson, Payton Turner
https://twitter.com/larryholder/status/1439613711753392139?s=21

What defenses so far are candidates to be true plug and plays (or at least, plug and play in all but the worst matchups)? I targeted Denver in my drafts, partly based on their matchups and partly on their talent, and have been very happy. They could be a keeper.

Carolina looks like it could be as well, along with New England (though you'll definitely want someone else for the Tampa match-up in two weeks).

Who else? Buffalo? Rams? Chargers?

Thought I drafted a set it TD in Wash.  Not so sure now.  I have streaming options ala AZ and CAR this week that I like better.  Question is - will WASH right the ship and become a predictable usable every week option?  If not I start streaming this week and waive them for an alternative.

If Wash IS an upper tier TD in most opinions I might keep them and add a second TD for the week like CAR but I would have to waive one of Kirk, Sermon, L Murray.

Thought I drafted a set it TD in Wash.  Not so sure now.  I have streaming options ala AZ and CAR this week that I like better.  Question is - will WASH right the ship and become a predictable usable every week option?  If not I start streaming this week and waive them for an alternative.

If Wash IS an upper tier TD in most opinions I might keep them and add a second TD for the week like CAR but I would have to waive one of Kirk, Sermon, L Murray.

I have Washington as well. I was expecting a lot better things from them and like you said a defense you can consistently play week in and week out. Their secondary can't cover anybody so the front line can't consistently put pressure on the QB. Their front 7 is definitely their strength but if they don't have the time to make plays does it really matter. It seems like the secondary does just enough to not give up big plays but gives up all check downs/quick throws. They deserved to lose against the Giants based on their defense alone. 

I'm considering dropping them, but haven't looked at who is available yet on waivers. 

1 hour ago, Jamesinaz said:

Expand  

I have Washington as well. I was expecting a lot better things from them and like you said a defense you can consistently play week in and week out. Their secondary can't cover anybody so the front line can't consistently put pressure on the QB. Their front 7 is definitely their strength but if they don't have the time to make plays does it really matter. It seems like the secondary does just enough to not give up big plays but gives up all check downs/quick throws. They deserved to lose against the Giants based on their defense alone. 

I'm considering dropping them, but haven't looked at who is available yet on waivers. 

They just aren't nearly as good as their press.  The "scary" D from last year was against very bottom of the barrel QB's.  You can go back and look at the box scores and see who they had big games against.

The strength of the D is actually only the front four.  The linebackers are slow and the rookie Davis is lost unless he's blitzing.  Secondary is poop as well.  I'm moving on.

Raiders could be a sneaky stream in Week 3.  So far through 2 weeks they've gotten 5 sacks, 3 turnovers, and allowing modest scores against Baltimore and Pitt, and now they get Miami, who just got blanked by Buffalo with Tua banged up and questionable.  
not really that sneaky as they’re the early leader for adds by a good margin, but def a great streaming option for this week.

Users who are viewing this thread