What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (8 Viewers)

I stream DST religiously when possible so I like dedicate 2 roster spots to doing so. I am always picking up a DST one week ahead for $1 FAAB in my 12 team 16 roster keeper league.

Pickings are slimmer in my 14 team 25 roster SF league but I had CAR for week 1 & 3 (should've played them in week 2 but picked up SEA, bleh) and had a choice between CIN or TEN for week 4. Went with CIN. Could always change my mind but I think TEN is B-A-D.

you could potentially use the Bengals for the next three even numbered weeks, good matchups

SEA and TEN are on my wire as well, I left them there

rolling with Cards this w/e

Denver Broncos or Carolina Panthers this week?

Denver has 10 points YTD in our scoring system while Carolina leads our league with 19 points YTD.

Both are in great positions to score well this week, and normally I would lean towards Denver as they are playing at home, but something about the Texans starting Davis Mills on a short week screams smash play to me.

yeah that's the chalk play of the week for streamers

Not a bad night at all from Carolina, but not the slaughter we were looking for.

Under 10 points and 4 sacks. 

Really surprised no turnovers.

The biggest takeaway tonight was losing Jaycee Horn. That will hurt this defense moving forward. 

Might be sad I dropped New England for them because of this. But with Tampa Bay on the books for New England next week I may have the chance to grab them back.

Also just a pet peeve of mine. I hate that the botched handling of a snap for a loss of yards is not considered defensive points. It’s basically a sack. I understand why it’s not. But always hate to see those end up as a fumble recovered by the quarterback for no fantasy defensive points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denver owners - are you rolling with them after week 3 or streaming? They get a pretty rough stretch of Baltimore, Pitt, Vegas, and Cleveland week 4 - 7. 
Grabbing either Cincy or Tenn for next week right before kickoff this week. Keeping Denver though. 

Godsbrother said:
I ended up dropping the Saints in order to pick up the Raiders this week.  I simply could not pass it up. 

I'm totally prepared to watch Miami put up 30 on Raiders now that I am starting them though...
I have never been a fan of Tua and think a prepared Brissett is equal to Tua and probably an upgrade.  The Raiders D has looked improved over the first two games and their front four can get to the QB.   Miami may score 20 but I don’t see 30.  

CAR had a good (not great) night, 16 points in our format. We count 0.25 TFL, 0.50 for 3 n out, 1.00 for 4th Down stops + Sacks, -2 for all turnovers, yardage allowed similar to points allowed - which we also get points for. we have everything adjusted down so it doesn’t get too crazy, about the same or a little more than standard DTs in most leagues, but it’s a better way to value good defense than simply PA + TDs.

Anyway, great weeks are 20-29, and while 16 is like def in DT1 territory, probably not as good as the owner who used FAAB on them hoped.

CAR had a good (not great) night, 16 points in our format. We count 0.25 TFL, 0.50 for 3 n out, 1.00 for 4th Down stops + Sacks, -2 for all turnovers, yardage allowed similar to points allowed - which we also get points for. we have everything adjusted down so it doesn’t get too crazy, about the same or a little more than standard DTs in most leagues, but it’s a better way to value good defense than simply PA + TDs.

Anyway, great weeks are 20-29, and while 16 is like def in DT1 territory, probably not as good as the owner who used FAAB on them hoped.
Ooooh, I like that format. Does it solve my rant on fumbles recovered by the own team behind the line of scrimmage?  Is that a tackle for a loss?

Ooooh, I like that format. Does it solve my rant on fumbles recovered by the own team behind the line of scrimmage?  Is that a tackle for a loss?
TFL an official stat right - I mean it gets tracked without us doing anything.

I think I saw your rant last night. IDK, the quarterback fumbled snap and falls on it - it’s not a sack. It shouldn’t be at TFL. It’s just offensive miscue, defense shouldn’t be rewarded for anything it didn’t cause. Just the offense making it a mistake, right?

Anyway I am actually not sure how that’s handled the our scoring system - I’ll have to try to find out.

TFL an official stat right - I mean it gets tracked without us doing anything.

I think I saw your rant last night. IDK, the quarterback fumbled snap and falls on it - it’s not a sack. It shouldn’t be at TFL. It’s just offensive miscue, defense shouldn’t be rewarded for anything it didn’t cause. Just the offense making it a mistake, right?

Anyway I am actually not sure how that’s handled the our scoring system - I’ll have to try to find out.
I had many beers and wanted many points.

Teams I love to see playing my streaming DST:

1. MIA
  2. NYJ
  3. JAX
  4. NYG (unless it’s WFT lol)
Teams I’m not skeered of:

1. ATL
  2. CIN
  3. DET
  4. IND
  5. NO
  6. NE
Any other turnover machine QBs or weak Offenses?
I'd put Houston in the first group, even though Mills didn't turn the ball over against CAR.

Week 4 Offenses to target (using BobbyLayne's list and adding HOU). Potential DST streamers in bold

MIA vs IND

NYJ vs TEN

JAX vs CIN

NYG vs NO

HOU vs BUF

DET vs CHI

ATL vs WFT

Looks like plenty of options. Check your local leagues for availability.

I have CHI available in my main keeper league (12 team 16 roster). They're my top choice with CIN 2nd in the final waiver run this week. Dropping ARI because I already started CAR and didn't want anyone else picking up ARI to use this week.

Lost in my bid for Carolina so picked up colts for next week and rolling with cards for this week. Have titans in my other league but not feeling great about that one at all. Colts face Houston twice and Jax once. Also face Miami. So have some good weeks ahead.

Still not sure who the surprise every week starter defense will be this year. Thought it might be Arizona last week and Carolinas this week but maybe they are still out there…

Not much talk about saints. They had key starters out last week and now Lattimore is back.

They get NE- rookie qb

NYG

WFT
I’m sticking with NO over LV (the only decent streaming option left on waivers). I agree that they could bounce back.  

Trying to decide if I want to grab the Giants to stream this week in place of Washington.  Is Wash worth holding?  They do get ATL next week. 

I would have to drop KJ Osborn to hold both for the week.

Trying to decide if I want to grab the Giants to stream this week in place of Washington.  Is Wash worth holding?  They do get ATL next week. 

I would have to drop KJ Osborn to hold both for the week.
Is Osborn ever going to sniff your lineup? If the answer is no, to me, that roster spot is more valuable to use to be able to add next week's DST streamer for cheap since that DST will be in your lineup.

Can always try trading Osborn for a future pick or as an add-on to free up the roster spot.

I'd put Houston in the first group, even though Mills didn't turn the ball over against CAR.
While I was hoping for more points out of the Carolina D, and while Mills wasn't exactly Nathan Peterman out there, I definitely wouldn't say I saw anything that made me think Houston's opponent won't continue to be a smash play. The guy is still a raw third-round rookie who wasn't supposed to be playing this early. They're doing everything they can to play it safe and protect him, but the mistakes will come eventually, especially as teams get more tape on him.

ignatiusjreilly said:
While I was hoping for more points out of the Carolina D, and while Mills wasn't exactly Nathan Peterman out there, I definitely wouldn't say I saw anything that made me think Houston's opponent won't continue to be a smash play. The guy is still a raw third-round rookie who wasn't supposed to be playing this early. They're doing everything they can to play it safe and protect him, but the mistakes will come eventually, especially as teams get more tape on him.
Agreed. He didn’t have any turnovers because they played it so safe. He also didn’t have many yards or points for the same reason.

zaner75 said:
Is Osborn ever going to sniff your lineup? If the answer is no, to me, that roster spot is more valuable to use to be able to add next week's DST streamer for cheap since that DST will be in your lineup.

Can always try trading Osborn for a future pick or as an add-on to free up the roster spot.

I guess assuming I will always have at least 2 of Woods, Cooper and HIggins then Osborn is permanent bench material.  I could  grab the Giants and play them against ATL this week and then dump them and play WASH against Atl next week. 

Dropped Jameis to pick up Cincy for next week. Doubt Winston has a good week against NE anyway so he'll sti be there if I want to pick him back up as a back up. 

I'm trying to get TN on waivers this week. They have jets and jags for 4-5. I'll have to figure something else out after those 2 games, but it buys me some time. 

I picked them up, but with Wentz likely starting I dropped them again for the NYG. I always prefer home defenses, and ATL are just not putting up points this season. I can't play my Rams against Brady this week, am I gutless?

I picked them up, but with Wentz likely starting I dropped them again for the NYG. I always prefer home defenses, and ATL are just not putting up points this season. I can't play my Rams against Brady this week, am I gutless?
Brady is on fire. I wouldn’t start the Rams D if I had them. 

Is TN D any good at all? They worth streaming a giant NYJ and JAX next few weeks?

Same boat with LAR.  My next best wire choices are Vikings and Bengals, not sure where I’m gonna land yet 

Brady is on fire. I wouldn’t start the Rams D if I had them. 

Is TN D any good at all? They worth streaming a giant NYJ and JAX next few weeks?

Tennessee's secondary are terrible but their run D is pretty good. They are certainly worth considering against the Jets. See how they do today. 

So Denver came up big (as expected vs the Jets). That being said, their string of cupcake matchups to open the season is over. I might be in the minority, but I was a bit underwhelmed by their results the first two weeks. Decent but should have been blow up spots.

So what are people doing with them now? I think this next string of games they could have some trouble. Not liking the fact that Chubb is out for a while. So are people dumping, benching for another stash, rolling with them? I’m definitely looking for another option, mulling over whether to keep them stashed or send them back.

So Denver came up big (as expected vs the Jets). That being said, their string of cupcake matchups to open the season is over. I might be in the minority, but I was a bit underwhelmed by their results the first two weeks. Decent but should have been blow up spots.

So what are people doing with them now? I think this next string of games they could have some trouble. Not liking the fact that Chubb is out for a while. So are people dumping, benching for another stash, rolling with them? I’m definitely looking for another option, mulling over whether to keep them stashed or send them back.

Have rode them the first three weeks, but now they hit the bench. No way I'm starting them against BALT.

Picked up TN who has NYJ and JAX the next two weeks. Holding Denver for now. If they show up big against BALT maybe they are a long term hold and at minimum a potential play against an over the hill Big Ben in week 5.

Rolling with Denver.  Part of it is the stuff left on waivers (Tennessee?  Cincy for just the one week?  Packers for one week?  The corpse of Washington?).  Baltimore is not ideal, but Lamar is my qb so his turnovers will cancel out.  They play KC once during the FFB schedule, and even KC showed they can give points to a D/ST.  I may change my mind down the road, but it's Denver for me until further notice.

ETA: VERY short bench in this league.  If I could carry 2 D/ST's I would, but impossible.

Picked up TN for the NYJ game.  Sitting on NE until better matchups.

Downside with carrying an extra DEf is I only have 3 bench spots.  Really ties me upbwith what U can do with the WW.

I think I need to roll with Carolina vs Dallas in one league. Don't want to drop them, especially given what's on the WW, and would have to drop someone like Fournette or Rondale Moore if I wanted a second D.

In my league with Denver I think I'm just going to keep rolling with them until they give me reason to think otherwise. Only really scary match-ups are the divisional games, which all come late in the year. Hopefully by that point it'll be easier to pick up a second D if I need one (that's also a deeper bench league).

Cin seems like the play Weeks 4, 6, and 8

Holding Ari & Car in most leagues despite bad Wk 4 matchups, Saints (great matchup v NYG) in another - none of those are likely to be on your WW.

Chicago might be, Lions will put up yardage but Goff can be careless with the ball.

Where I drafted Denver I figured to only start them the first 3 weeks. I’m not uncomfortable rolling with them at home versus the Ravens who are a bit up n down rn

Titans wil be a popular add v Wilson’s league leading 7 interceptions. Are they any good, and can you trust them. I don’t think so.

Dallas D is much improved and looking ahead have juicy matchups Weeks 5 & 6. 8 turnovers generated so far. 

If I stuck with NO defense (who I started week 2) instead of CAR defense I would've won. Sometimes with defenses I don't pay enough attention to injuries.

NO looks like a set and forget defense. I'll be looking to add them in one league.

If I stuck with NO defense (who I started week 2) instead of CAR defense I would've won. Sometimes with defenses I don't pay enough attention to injuries.
Wait, do you mean Jaycee Horn's injury? The one that happened during the game?

Carolina was absolutely the right start from a process standpoint. And they shut Houston down! They just didn't produce big points from a fantasy perspective, mostly because the Texans played it ultra-safe with Mills. Meanwhile, nothing against NO, which is a good defense, but eight of their points came from a ball that bounced off a WR's hands and right to Jenkins for an easy pick-six.

Defense is always a crapshoot, and we know a lot less than we think we do after three weeks. IMO Carolina is more likely to be set-it-and-forget-it than NO, but it's close, and I could definitely be wrong about that.

Wait, do you mean Jaycee Horn's injury? The one that happened during the game?

Carolina was absolutely the right start from a process standpoint. And they shut Houston down! They just didn't produce big points from a fantasy perspective, mostly because the Texans played it ultra-safe with Mills. Meanwhile, nothing against NO, which is a good defense, but eight of their points came from a ball that bounced off a WR's hands and right to Jenkins for an easy pick-six.

Defense is always a crapshoot, and we know a lot less than we think we do after three weeks. IMO Carolina is more likely to be set-it-and-forget-it than NO, but it's close, and I could definitely be wrong about that.
No I mean New Orleans' injuries in week 2 (Lattimore came back week 3)

No I mean New Orleans' injuries in week 2 (Lattimore came back week 3)
OK, that makes more sense. And yes, I think there's a definite blindspot that lots of us have in terms of assuming certain defenses are what they are, without realizing that circumstances change as guys come back from injuries, etc.

Cin seems like the play Weeks 4, 6, and 8

Holding Ari & Car in most leagues despite bad Wk 4 matchups, Saints (great matchup v NYG) in another - none of those are likely to be on your WW.

Chicago might be, Lions will put up yardage but Goff can be careless with the ball.

Where I drafted Denver I figured to only start them the first 3 weeks. I’m not uncomfortable rolling with them at home versus the Ravens who are a bit up n down rn

Titans wil be a popular add v Wilson’s league leading 7 interceptions. Are they any good, and can you trust them. I don’t think so.

Dallas D is much improved and looking ahead have juicy matchups Weeks 5 & 6. 8 turnovers generated so far. 
If you're willing to roster two Ds this early (and if you trust Cinci, which I'm not sure I do), you could pair Panthers/Bengals for the next few weeks:

• Week 4: Cinci vs Jax
  • Week 5:  Car vs Phi
  • Week 6: Cinci @ Det (or Car vs Minn)
  • Week 7: Car @ NYG
  • Week 8: Cinci @ NYJ  (or Car @ Atl)
  • Week 9: Car vs NE
It's not the best strategy -- you'd probably be better using Cinci this week, then dropping them, streaming a team like Miami @ Jax in Week 6, and trying to get Cinci back in advance of Week 8 -- but you could do worse.

Johnny Utah #9 said:

Keeping Denver but benching them this week for Cincy. I'm curious to see what they do against Baltimore.

Well I thought I got a decent D on draft day I could run with but seems not.  Wash FT sucks.  Dumping them I hope for Cincy this week and then I don't know.  Guess I'm a streamer this year.  (sigh)

Is Dallas D legit?

Could see them causing Darnold issues minus CMC. And then they face an injury riddled NYJ and toothless NE.
I would say if the matchup is right but I wouldn't use the Eagles game as a measuring stick. Their offense held the ball 36 mins and the Eagles offense called 3 run plays... The whole night. 

Stashing Miami for those rest of season JAC, NYJ x2 and NE matchups still to come
Wouldn't count the NE matchup. That's week 18. They do have some intriguing ones.  Looks like you need to pair them with a defense that has good even week matchups. You also have to hope they get better. So far they've been pretty poor. 

W6 @Jax 

W7 ATL

W9 HOU

W11 @NYJ

W13 NYG

W15 NYJ

Users who are viewing this thread