What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just eliminate preseason already (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Other than a good way to gouge season ticket holders what's the use? 3rd team scrubs even in week 3, in what used to be the dress rehearsal for the regular season.  Now everyone is so afraid of injury none of the starters play.  Worthless.  They can gauge young talent in practices, head to head scrimmages, etc.  Just don't televise this crap or charge admission.

Other than a good way to gouge season ticket holders what's the use? 3rd team scrubs even in week 3, in what used to be the dress rehearsal for the regular season.  Now everyone is so afraid of injury none of the starters play.  Worthless.  They can gauge young talent in practices, head to head scrimmages, etc.  Just don't televise this crap or charge admission.
That is the reason it's never going away.

Up until what year was it that NFL teams played 6 preseason games? 1977 or something like that?

Can't. With the CBA it's one of the few times they put on pads and hit so you can evaluate players. Its taken the place of padded practices. 

It's become a joke. If you're not going to play in the third week, you've admitted these guys don't need pads to get ready. 

I'd be ok with a couple preseason games to let some of these backups really go after it under the lights.  The gouging of season ticket holders for it is just shameful.

I hate the gouge season ticket holder complaint. 

Who cares if an $800 season ticket has $80 stamped on each ticket for 10 games or if it has $0 stamped on the 2 preseason games and $100 on the 8 regular games. 

The per game price doesn’t matter, you’re paying to get the good games. 

Just be prepared for some awful NFL football the 1st few weeks again. Been like that for a couple of years. The first couple of games are now the NFL preseason.

:goodposting:

Even with the preseason games the regular season is almost unwatchable for about the first month. 

They have to keep playing the preseason games but people should stop watching them. 

They should move to more padded practice, 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games, and 2 byes each season at least 6 games apart (weeks 4 - 16 of a 20-week season). Also, moving from 16 regular season games to 18, the team size goes from 53 to 60, PS increases by 30%, and Salary Cap increases by 20%. It's only a 12% increase in regular season games, but the league needs to make a compromise since the players will be taking on a lot more risk. Wear and tear is compounded over the year, 2 more regular season games increases the risk of injury more than it may seem. 

Also, they should eliminate Thursday Night games, just Sunday, Monday, and Thanksgiving (bye the week before). 

I like steelers1080's overall take regarding 18 games. The only hitch is that in today's CTE-conscious NFL, increasing the number of games that count is a non-starter.

So, is there still a path to a longer season? One way I can think of -- still having 18-regular season games with two bye weeks ... but also have a rule that all players on a roster (save perhaps the long snapper, kicker, and punter) have to sit out two regular season games. It's a pretty radical change, but maybe it helps keep the pro game -- on the field -- more like something everyone grew up with. Essentially, every player would get four breathers over a 20-week season.

I like steelers1080's overall take regarding 18 games. The only hitch is that in today's CTE-conscious NFL, increasing the number of games that count is a non-starter.

So, is there still a path to a longer season? One way I can think of -- still having 18-regular season games with two bye weeks ... but also have a rule that all players on a roster (save perhaps the long snapper, kicker, and punter) have to sit out two regular season games. It's a pretty radical change, but maybe it helps keep the pro game -- on the field -- more like something everyone grew up with. Essentially, every player would get four breathers over a 20-week season.
I don't think it's a non-starter at all but the league will have to make concessions. Larger roster sizes as @steelers1080 suggested is a good, and absolutely necessary, start. As is adding at least one more bye week. I would not be opposed to three byes during an 18 game season and the players wouldn't either.  That would also allow more broadcast weeks to add additional revenue.  Other sports may have an issue with a longer NFL season but #### 'em, put out a better product. 

Beyond that the real meat on the bone would be things like fully guaranteed contracts and tying contracts to % of salary cap as opposed to a specific dollar value. Relaxing the drug policy, which the league is doing already (even if they have not publicly stated it), would be another good idea.

It's necessary for a lot of things non player related.  Coaches, refs and new rules, TV, commentators...............................

The preseason games suck horribly, but the regular season (at least the first part) will suck even worse than it already does without a preseason.

Just dont watch it.  With or without preseason, the season isnt starting any sooner, so really not sure what there is to complain about in terms of wanting to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even with the preseason games the regular season is almost unwatchable for about the first month. 

They have to keep playing the preseason games but people should stop watching them. 
Can't remember when I really first noticed that. I think it was 2 years ago. I know last year I was #####ing at how it looked like the USFL week 1.

They should move to more padded practice, 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games, and 2 byes each season at least 6 games apart (weeks 4 - 16 of a 20-week season). Also, moving from 16 regular season games to 18, the team size goes from 53 to 60, PS increases by 30%, and Salary Cap increases by 20%. It's only a 12% increase in regular season games, but the league needs to make a compromise since the players will be taking on a lot more risk. Wear and tear is compounded over the year, 2 more regular season games increases the risk of injury more than it may seem. 

Also, they should eliminate Thursday Night games, just Sunday, Monday, and Thanksgiving (bye the week before). 
Back in the 90's (1993) they had 2 bye weeks. Not sure why they stopped that. Dumb to stop it. One more week of NFL now is big $.

Back in the 90's (1993) they had 2 bye weeks. Not sure why they stopped that. Dumb to stop it. One more week of NFL now is big $.
Been saying this for years now.  Just add another bye week to the season if they want to make more money.  It's an entire extra week of thursday night football, sunday night football, monday night football, and of course the regular sunday early/late game platter. 

It just makes sense. And the elimination of Thursday Night, addition of roster spots, and increase in salary would all be concessions that the NFLPA would support. Players don't want 2 more games, but they might be amenable if there's enough concessions by the NFL. 

Stop watching.

The preseason was never supposed to be televised. We shouldn’t get rid of it just because it’s not entertaining. If you eliminate the preseason, you’re essentially just going to have a cluster #### the first 2 to 4 weeks that closely resembles preseason.

I think that happened one year and the season wasn’t any longer, there just wasn’t two weeks between the championship and the Super Bowl.

I hate the gouge season ticket holder complaint. 

Who cares if an $800 season ticket has $80 stamped on each ticket for 10 games or if it has $0 stamped on the 2 preseason games and $100 on the 8 regular games. 

The per game price doesn’t matter, you’re paying to get the good games. 
Secondary market.  If you have to miss a regular season game for some reason, it makes more sense to get back 1/8 of your season ticket cost instead of 1/10

I heard if they go to 2 bye weeks, all the Thursday teams would be coming off one of their two byes.
Seems like a no brainer. Players get rest twice, don't have short weeks for Thurs. games, NFL make a lot more $ and the product is better on Thursday. Makes way too much sense on this planet. FFL likes it because it adds a game. obviously the betting sites would love it.

Went to Rams game on Sunday.  The place was far from packed but I know they made a ton of money off the $17 beers.   :mellow:

There were 28 teams then, plus you needed a bunch of teams on byes for every bye week, meaning no byes to start or end the season.  What happened was a light schedule in those weeks and some games with little interest had to be nationally shown. So ratings plummeted in those weeks.

There are now 32 teams so that problem is less likely to occur.

RushHour said:
get rid of week 4 at least
Tell that to the UDFA and late round picks fighting for their careers.

The preseason is practice so the regular season isn’t (more of a complete) sheet-show. These games were never meant to be televised. Hell, I remember when they payed in their practice jerseys. 

These guys need these practice games and guys get hurt in practice all the time. Just because you take these games away doesn’t mean they don’t still practice and play something in its place. 

They have already eliminated so much contact already and the perception is that there are more guys getting more serious injuries. 

I’ve always thought they should add a second bye week and split the byes at two different times of the season.

one by is a two-week span (so 21 days between normal days) where each team’s plays a neutral site international game (London, Manchester, Beijing, Mexico City, etc). Each game is against a cross-conference team and can be decided by prior year’s records.

they can get rid of 2 preseason games to make the time for this.

the games can be played anytime from Sunday to a Sunday in their international locations. We’d had a Sunday-to-Sunday slate of prime time (ish) NFL games, 16 games spread out. This gives time for travel and adjustment to time zones and promotional stuff.

Then after 2 Sunday’s, they start up normal again.

Then the other byes can all happen over 4 weeks 8 teams at a time. So this is the schedule:

week 1-4 no bye

week 5/6 - bye/international games

week 7-10 - no bye

week 11-14 - 8 byes each week

week 15-18 - no byes

i think it would work and ge international games would make big $$$ for the league and justify losing preseason games and give more rest time)

Tell that to the UDFA and late round picks fighting for their careers.

The preseason is practice so the regular season isn’t (more of a complete) sheet-show. These games were never meant to be televised. Hell, I remember when they payed in their practice jerseys. 

These guys need these practice games and guys get hurt in practice all the time. Just because you take these games away doesn’t mean they don’t still practice and play something in its place. 

They have already eliminated so much contact already and the perception is that there are more guys getting more serious injuries. 
I realise that and I wasn't completely serious. However, if these coaching staffs have any idea what they're doing, they should be able to properly evaluate guys in practices and scrimmages. It just doesn't feel like there would be any new knowledge to gain from players by seeing how they perform in this game that wouldn't have been discovered in training camp and the previous 3 weeks of preseason games. 

They need a pre-season. It is neither possible nor fair to evaluate young players JUST from practices. Many players practice great and shrivel under fire. Others practice terribly yet thrive under fire. There's no reasonable way to decide those last 10-15 players on the roster without the fire.

That said, not sure they really need 4 games to do it. I only care about the pre-season games to get a better feel for the rookies for fantasy purposes, or to find the hidden fantasy gems. Fantasy football is the only reason they can successfully televise out of market pre-season games.

They need a pre-season. It is neither possible nor fair to evaluate young players JUST from practices. Many players practice great and shrivel under fire. Others practice terribly yet thrive under fire. There's no reasonable way to decide those last 10-15 players on the roster without the fire.

That said, not sure they really need 4 games to do it. I only care about the pre-season games to get a better feel for the rookies for fantasy purposes, or to find the hidden fantasy gems. Fantasy football is the only reason they can successfully televise out of market pre-season games.
That's all I'm saying

That's all I'm saying
Preseason is dumb.  I usually watch about 20 minutes total.

That said, i dont see any sort of benefit to lowering the number of preseason games.  What would it help?  How does it improve the sport?  How does it make you enjoy the NFL any more than you do now?

Preseason is dumb.  I usually watch about 20 minutes total.

That said, i dont see any sort of benefit to lowering the number of preseason games.  What would it help?  How does it improve the sport?  How does it make you enjoy the NFL any more than you do now?
If it allows time for an additional bye week then it's a win for everyone.

Does the preseason prohibit this from happening?  If so, then yes, definitely going to 3 would be a good thing.  
I know the NFL is averse to pushing the Super Bowl back so this would give them the additional week or two for the second bye. Players would have to agree to start TC early but for the extra bye I think they would.

Users who are viewing this thread