What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 Preseason Stock Up/Stock Down Report (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Just finished watching all the games this weekend.  Here are my initial thoughts and takeaways from each game from a fantasy perspective for both dynasty and redraft.  Part 1 of 2.

Panthers vs. Colts

Stock Up: Marshall Jr., Hubbard, Strachan.

Stock Down:  None Noted

Marshall Jr. and Hubbard look like they are ready for regular season repetitions.  Hubbard is particularly interesting to me and looked like a starting NFL RB…I could see him spelling CMC quite a bit over a 17 game season as the Panthers try to lessen CMC’s load.  Strachan stood out for the Colts but hard to know where he's at on the depth chart...maybe just a name to watch/monitor...the commentators were gushing over him.

Jets vs. Giants

Stock Up:  Wilson,

Stock Down:  Carter, Herndon, Mims

I’ve been on Wilson for a while now, but he looked very good.  Although Carter appears atop the RB depth chart, he was underwhelming for me from a fantasy perspective and looked like a committee back.  Herndon and Mims definitely further down on the depth chart and should be considered as dynasty drops in most formats.

Packers vs Texans

Stock Up:  Phillip Lindsay, Conley, Funchess, K. HIll

Lindsay starts and looks proficient like he always has.  Conley seemed to be Tyrod’s early go-to target.  Kylin Hill caught my eye on a pair of receptions out of the backfield and has an interesting collegiate record. Funchess showed well and may be able to work his way up an unimpressive Packers WR depth chart. 

Seahawks vs Raiders

Stock Up:  Dallas, Emmons

Nothing much to note from a fantasy perspective IMHO.  Dallas looked good coming off some buzz in camp.   Emmons looked like he belonged as an NFL RB and may be a player to watch although he’s pretty buried on the depth chart.

Chiefs vs 49ers

Stock Up: McKinnon

I don’t believe Lance did anything to improve or damage his stock…he flashed and had some bad luck.   It should be noted that there were busted protections and multiple bad drops(I counted 3 drops) which make Lance’s boxscore misleading.  Sermon ran well with contact, when(not if) Mostert gets injured, Sermon will be ready but I’m not willing to say “stock up” since he’s already being drafted pretty high.  McKinnon may be a competent handcuff, but I won’t be drafting him.

Chargers vs. Rams

Stock Up:  Palmer, Rountree

Stock Down:  Funk, X. Jones

A relatively uneventful game offensively with a lot of starters on the sidelines.  Rookies Palmer and Rountree looked solid for the bolts building off solid camp buzz.  RBs Funk and Jones were unimpressive collectively for the Rams and could be another indicator that the Rams backfield could be headed to RBBC hell.

Jaguars vs. Browns

Stock Up:  Marvin Jones, Peoples-Jones

Stock Down:  Shenault

Consistent with camp buzz again both Marvin Jones and Peoples-Jones showed well.    I thought Lawrence was just okay although he had spotty protection and was still 6/9.   I’m concerned about Shenault’s usage not having enough air yards and also the volume of targets to justify his ADP, this game did nothing to alleviate those concerns.

Broncos vs. Vikings

Stock Up:  Jeudy, J. Williams, Lock, AJ Rose.

Stock Down:  Gordon, Bridgewater

Both Lock and Bridgewater looked good, but overall felt like a win for Lock.    Williams looked tremendous and as I’ve posted elsewhere I expect him to eventually out-carry Gordon who didn’t play.  Jeudy looked explosive on  his one reception and was enough for me to mention him here...I hope he doesn’t play another down this preseason to keep his ADP as low as possible coming into draft season.  Nothing much to note on the Vikings side as most starters sat, but Rose who is pretty low on the RB depth chart put together a pretty solid game…perhaps a name to remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume 3rd week is still the dress rehearsal game, right?

It's different for every team...some teams have already declared they will not be  playing their entire first teams in the preseason.

I’m not changing any rankings based on what happened in this weeks games.

Interesting, what if a player was injured?   

I don't make huge changes but I'm always tweaking up until my last draft.   Too many relevant datapoints to ignore, which I presume is why most of the industry is also making weekly updates.

thinking week 2 is the dress rehearsal IMO, week 3 is fighting for roster spots time. hate to say it, but I wonder if coaches are starting to re-think that removing a preseason game was such a good idea. 

no stock up or down after one week, but Jimmy G.shot laser guided darts, he looked polished as ever. 

granted it's week 1 preseason, but I think we're undervaluing Broncos players, Jeudy, etc. 

Giants are going to ,once again,  be doormats 

I don't make huge changes but I'm always tweaking up until my last draft. 

This is kind of where I stand Trip.

I rarely make huge changes (well, Cam Akers anyone?) but instead push a little here, pull a little there.  If anything, most preseason games ultimately tell me WHO NOT TO DRAFT , and they generally lead me towards the players I was leaning towards anyway.

I "kind of disagree" on MICHAEL CARTER. But not for talent reasons, instead I almost view him as the last man standing.  It just reeks of "no one here is any more suited to take this role over".......... not that he is the next BARRY SANDERS.    I think theres some solid RB2-ish volume there for the taking, but that could easily change over the next few preseason games.

Contrast that, to how I feel about JAVONTE WILLIAMS .    I think Williams could be a league winner if things fell right. But as I mentioned in the "redraft rookies thread"  ~~~~~> https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/797108-drafting-the-rookie-rbsin-re-draft-this-season/    The elephant in that room is Melvin Gordon.

I definitely agree on Jerry Jeudy . That dude needs to sit the bench the rest of the preseason so I can snap him up everywhere as my WR3.

I need to watch the Broncs game, I've seen the majority of the other scenarios I wanted to have a look at..... until next week.

TZM

Jets vs. Giants

Stock Up:  Wilson,

Stock Down:  Carter, Herndon, Mims

I’ve been on Wilson for a while now, but he looked very good.  Although Carter appears atop the RB depth chart, he was underwhelming for me from a fantasy perspective and looked like a committee back.  Herndon and Mims definitely further down on the depth chart and should be considered as dynasty drops in most formats.

I'm not sure you actually watched this game. Carter did not start the game, Ty Johnson got the first two carries. I will agree it may very well be a committee for the NYJ's, but Johnson and Carter both gained chunk yardage early - and the starters only played 2 series so not sure how much we can gleam from a "fantasy perspective".

What really tells me you didn't watch the game though is the laughable statement that Mims is a dynasty drop based on that game. Yes - he is down the depth chart at this point but he had to  impress the staff with that performance where he showed tremendous after the catch skills and dragged about five defenders on one play to gain a first down.

What really tells me you didn't watch the game though is the laughable statement that Mims is a dynasty drop based on that game. Yes - he is down the depth chart at this point but he had to  impress the staff with that performance where he showed tremendous after the catch skills and dragged about five defenders on one play to gain a first down.
Thank you !  From the highlight I saw, I was afraid it was somebody other than Mims.  It was a solid play even if against the backup Def. 

I'm not sure you actually watched this game. Carter did not start the game, Ty Johnson got the first two carries. I will agree it may very well be a committee for the NYJ's, but Johnson and Carter both gained chunk yardage early - and the starters only played 2 series so not sure how much we can gleam from a "fantasy perspective".

Watched the game twice, and stand by everything stated.  Would dump Herndon and Mims.  I have  concerns about Carter’s ceiling and believe he could be in a rbbc this year .

What is “laughable” and unfortunate is that derogatory and inflammatory  posts such as the one above by you are allowed here.  You called me a liar and called my opinions “laughable”.  Perhaps you should go back to kindergarten and learn how to communicate with others, particularly those that dont agree with you. 

As of Brian Flores comments this AM, I’m scratching Gaskin’s name off of my draft board:

”MYLES GASKINRB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the Dolphins will continue to use a three-player backfield rotation. 

Malcom Brown got the start Saturday against Chicago, seeing 16 snaps with Miami's first team offense to Myles Gaskin's seven first-team snaps. Gaskin has four carries for 19 yards; Brown gained eight yards on nine rushes. Salvon Ahmed, who had four starts in 2020 while Gaskin was sidelined, had six rushing attempts for 40 yards, along with 31 yards and a touchdown through the air. "You saw all three backs played, all three of them got carries," Flores aid. "Pick one out and put them in, basically. We like all three guys. They all do good things. And I think we saw that today. And [we'll] just keep working all three guys." Gaskin was never going to dominate backfield snaps for the Dolphins. Now he could be trapped in an unpredictable committee -- a tough spot for a fourth-round pick in 12-team fantasy leagues. Running backs going after Gaskin -- including Mike Davis, Kareem Hunt, Raheem Mostert, and Travis Etienne -- have more secure roles in their respective offenses. “

As of Brian Flores comments this AM, I’m scratching Gaskin’s name off of my draft board:

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the Dolphins will continue to use a three-player backfield rotation. 

Malcom Brown got the start Saturday against Chicago, seeing 16 snaps with Miami's first team offense to Myles Gaskin's seven first-team snaps. Gaskin has four carries for 19 yards; Brown gained eight yards on nine rushes. Salvon Ahmed, who had four starts in 2020 while Gaskin was sidelined, had six rushing attempts for 40 yards, along with 31 yards and a touchdown through the air. "You saw all three backs played, all three of them got carries," Flores aid. "Pick one out and put them in, basically. We like all three guys. They all do good things. And I think we saw that today. And [we'll] just keep working all three guys." Gaskin was never going to dominate backfield snaps for the Dolphins. Now he could be trapped in an unpredictable committee -- a tough spot for a fourth-round pick in 12-team fantasy leagues. Running backs going after Gaskin -- including Mike Davis, Kareem Hunt, Raheem Mostert, and Travis Etienne -- have more secure roles in their respective offenses. “
I don't know how unpredictable it was. When someone unexpectedly successfully crosses over thin ice, it doesn't mean the ice isn't thin - or that you should expect them to do it again.

Chiefs vs 49ers

Stock Up: McKinnon

I thought he looked kinda slow. He was caught from behind by a linebacker - that never used to happen. 

He’s healthy for the 1st time in 2 years but I wasn’t very impressed with what he showed in that game. 

I don't know how unpredictable it was. When someone unexpectedly successfully crosses over thin ice, it doesn't mean the ice isn't thin.
Agreed, but I think a lot of folks believed he’d get a shot at the featured role until he wasn’t successful.

That seemed baked into his 4-5th round ADP. I don’t think he’s draft-able at that price. 

Watched the game twice, and stand by everything stated.  Would dump Herndon and Mims.  I have  concerns about Carter’s ceiling and believe he could be in a rbbc this year .

What is “laughable” and unfortunate is that derogatory and inflammatory  posts such as the one above by you are allowed here.  You called me a liar and called my opinions “laughable”.  Perhaps you should go back to kindergarten and learn how to communicate with others, particularly those that dont agree with you. 

Sorry to hurt your feelings. You're acting a little childish here with your over-reaction too of course. I didn't call you a liar. 

Sorry but suggesting a receiver heading into his second season should be dropped after one preseason game would be bad enough "advice". Doing so, especially after he looked very good in that game you're commenting on, does make it laughable and makes me question if you actually watched the game or just read the roto-blurb that said he was the sixth WR in - but failed to mention what he actually accomplished in that game.

What did he do in that game that makes you think he's droppable in dynasty leagues? He started out camp after losing 30 pounds from a bout with food poisoning. He started low on the depth chart but is coming off a stellar week of practice where he asked the coaching staff to let him play special teams and then went out and gave an amazing effort. I'm guessing the staff noticed same. Maybe you'll ultimately end of being right and the guy will bust - but your timing is silly and if others did not watch the game they deserve to know that.

ETA: Mim's 3 catches from Saturday Night

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Gaskin was going to get mentioned in part 2 of this writeup.  I agree his stock is down.  But I was never on team Gaskin anyhow.

Dr. Octopus said:
Sorry to hurt your feelings. You're acting a little childish here with your over-reaction too of course. I didn't call you a liar. 

You implied that I lied about watching the games and then you called a post that I spent an hour putting together(to benefit the shark pool) "laughable."

I'm not sure what kind of response you expected.

I would have wrote your rebuttal this way, "I strongly disagree on Mims.  I thought he looked great against third stringers, and believe he will soon be rising up the Jets WR depth chart.  He's a strong dynasty hold for me."    Or whatever you actually feel, that was just an example.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I thought he looked kinda slow. He was caught from behind by a linebacker - that never used to happen. 

He’s healthy for the 1st time in 2 years but I wasn’t very impressed with what he showed in that game. 

Interesting, I'll have to go back and re-watch.   Like I mentioned, I'm not buying mckinnon as a fantasy asset, but my impression and take was that McKinnon is going to make this backfield and in KC that's a thing for fantasy.

Andy Dufresne said:
I don't know how unpredictable it was. When someone unexpectedly successfully crosses over thin ice, it doesn't mean the ice isn't thin - or that you should expect them to do it again.

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting, I'll have to go back and re-watch.   Like I mentioned, I'm not buying mckinnon as a fantasy asset, but my impression and take was that McKinnon is going to make this backfield and in KC that's a thing for fantasy.
If he makes the roster he’s worth keeping an eye on, but I’m not convinced he’ll be roster-able.  Williams is a very capable backup, and they still have Thompson (who may be a camp casualty if they keep Jet.) 

as of now Jet is listed ahead of Thompson. 

If he makes the roster he’s worth keeping an eye on, but I’m not convinced he’ll be roster-able.  Williams is a very capable backup, and they still have Thompson (who may be a camp casualty if they keep Jet.) 

as of now Jet is listed ahead of Thompson. 
We agree here, and agree that Thompson could be a cut.

You implied that I lied about watching the games and then you called a post that I spent an hour putting together(to benefit the shark pool) "laughable."

I'm not sure what kind of response you expected.

I would have wrote your rebuttal this way, "I strongly disagree on Mims.  I thought he looked great against third stringers, and believe he will soon be rising up the Jets WR depth chart.  He's a strong dynasty hold for me."    Or whatever you actually feel, that was just an example.
I busted on “the speech” you wrote for me, but I will admit my response originally was aggressive and hyberbolic. I should have said it differently. I was carrying something over from another thread, and that’s not right. I apologize.

Any C. Powell from the Chiefs?
contested catch

He was running with the fourth string offense, which is consistent with the reps he’s getting in practice. Fountain had 4 catches but he’s been bouncing around practice squads since 2018, likely will be a late cut. 

It’s probably gonna take a while for him to rise up the depth charts. But from a skill set view, he’s probably the best X on the team.

Hardman dropped his only target. I’ve read reports that he’s just not in sync with Mahomes. Again.

Users who are viewing this thread