Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done?


Getzlaf15

Recommended Posts

I "dated" the wife of a law enforcement officer in a small town while they were separated.  Don't ever do that kids.  Their friends can make your life difficult.  Almost 10 years later and I still have to watch my back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been a lot:

When I was 17, I left school during an assembly and got super drunk. It was my first time drinking hard liquor and we had a huge bottle of vodka and all we had to chase it was water. Three of us were toasted and I drove back to school and proceeded to throw up all over the dean. I just remember him fireman carrying me over his shoulder from the bathroom to the nurse's office. Ambulance called because they thought I may be on something else. Only got a three day suspension for this because I was a good kid with good  grades. 

When I was 18, I got engaged to a crazy girl. Like full on insane. She was a lot of FUN if you get my drift, but wow, when she got mad, her go to technique was to hit me. Stayed with her for a year. I remember sitting down alone with the person who was going to marry us and he could see that I had scratches on my neck and he said I won't marry you guys--you have to get out of this. Luckily I did. but....

When i was 19, I went out with some friends (same ones from the first story) drunk, we got caught breaking into a car. Again as luck would have it, my friend was dating the arresting officer's daughter and he let us go. I just remember him screaming at my friend that he was never going to date his daughter again.

I met my wife right before I turned 20. We are  both 49 now and have had an amazing life together. i think back to those years and thank my lucky stars where I could have ended up....

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

There have been a lot:

When I was 17, I left school during an assembly and got super drunk. It was my first time drinking hard liquor and we had a huge bottle of vodka and all we had to chase it was water. Three of us were toasted and I drove back to school and proceeded to throw up all over the dean. I just remember him fireman carrying me over his shoulder from the bathroom to the nurse's office. Ambulance called because they thought I may be on something else. Only got a three day suspension for this because I was a good kid with good  grades. 

 

Thought for sure you were going to tell us a horse was involved here.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

This seems threadworthy.

Naw.  I think I've referenced it before.  I've gotten followed home a lot, and walked home quite a few times from bars even though I wasn't anywhere close to the legal limit just to not give the officers an excuse to stop me.

I got followed to a bowling alley where some friends were bowling by the then-ex even though I was no longer dating his ex wife.  When I came out of the bowling alley I noticed an officer standing down the street in an odd place like he was half hiding.  I decided to walk home even though I only had 2 beers over 2 hours.

I walked right by the officer on the sidewalk and made a comment about it being a brisk night.   That officer immediately radioed a patrol car that picked him up.  I don't think that was a coincidence.  They circled the blocks I was walking down a couple times.  Small town stupid stuff.  :shrug:

Oh, and apparently law enforcement can monitor social medial accounts, or have friends that can.  :oldunsure: 

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting in the car in high school with some people who were definitely not sober. An Intoxicated teen driving at night was just not a smart decision. Plus it usually meant there were 2 or 3 other people in the car, we had music blaring, acting ridiculous. Scary bad decisions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Getting in the car in high school with some people who were definitely not sober. An Intoxicated teen driving at night was just not a smart decision. Plus it usually meant there were 2 or 3 other people in the car, we had music blaring, acting ridiculous. Scary bad decisions. 

was going to say something along these lines.  I've done stuff while drinking and driving that I don't want to even think about.  stupid stuff that could've killed people.  small town MI in the mid 80s where kids drinking and getting hammered was accepted by most of the town

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jomar said:

was going to say something along these lines.  I've done stuff while drinking and driving that I don't want to even think about.  stupid stuff that could've killed people.  small town MI in the mid 80s where kids drinking and getting hammered was accepted by most of the town

Yes, I often hung out with some kids who were older and could drive before I could. I am  lucky none of them killed me. At the time though, it didn't bother me at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Yes, I often hung out with some kids who were older and could drive before I could. I am  lucky none of them killed me. At the time though, it didn't bother me at all. 

same thing.  when we were freshman, we had a senior who needed friends so he would drive us around.  he didn't drink much though.  once we got our license, we were just stupid #######s with the things we did.  just pure chance nobody died. 

and always with the music blaring, Ozzy, Metallica, Maiden, Crue, Ratt, as loud as my Jensens could go :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jomar said:

same thing.  when we were freshman, we had a senior who needed friends so he would drive us around.  he didn't drink much though.  once we got our license, we were just stupid #######s with the things we did.  just pure chance nobody died. 

and always with the music blaring, Ozzy, Metallica, Maiden, Crue, Ratt, as loud as my Jensens could go :lol:

Very relatable and regrettable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Getting in the car in high school with some people who were definitely not sober. An Intoxicated teen driving at night was just not a smart decision. Plus it usually meant there were 2 or 3 other people in the car, we had music blaring, acting ridiculous. Scary bad decisions. 

welcome to every weekend night of the 70s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nearly electrocuted myself hoisting an 8x8 bunkhouse out of knee deep floodwater. I set a jack right where electric entered from underground and lifted until the electric line ruptured underwater. By some miracle I wound up on shore. Actually could have killed myself any number of ways doing that job, not placing new support as I lifted and finishing up with 3' suspension using jacks alone. 28 and eager but stupid as crap... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Courtjester said:

There have been a lot:

When I was 17, I left school during an assembly and got super drunk. It was my first time drinking hard liquor and we had a huge bottle of vodka and all we had to chase it was water. Three of us were toasted and I drove back to school and proceeded to throw up all over the dean. I just remember him fireman carrying me over his shoulder from the bathroom to the nurse's office. Ambulance called because they thought I may be on something else. Only got a three day suspension for this because I was a good kid with good  grades. 

When I was 18, I got engaged to a crazy girl. Like full on insane. She was a lot of FUN if you get my drift, but wow, when she got mad, her go to technique was to hit me. Stayed with her for a year. I remember sitting down alone with the person who was going to marry us and he could see that I had scratches on my neck and he said I won't marry you guys--you have to get out of this. Luckily I did. but....

When i was 19, I went out with some friends (same ones from the first story) drunk, we got caught breaking into a car. Again as luck would have it, my friend was dating the arresting officer's daughter and he let us go. I just remember him screaming at my friend that he was never going to date his daughter again.

I met my wife right before I turned 20. We are  both 49 now and have had an amazing life together. i think back to those years and thank my lucky stars where I could have ended up....

 

 

New favorite poster 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of bad drinking and driving decisions in my youth like most. 

The one I think about what could have happened was one time I 3 putted the 18th hole and stupidly threw the ball up and took a half hearted baseball swing with the putter. Not good. Line drive flying right at the clubhouse. Thanking God I hit a beam and not somebody in the head. Totally asinine. I might have been 19. I don’t get angry at all now in golf. Never throw clubs etc. That one act of stupidity could have been life changing for a lot of people. Idiot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Courtjester said:

There have been a lot:

When I was 17, I left school during an assembly and got super drunk. It was my first time drinking hard liquor and we had a huge bottle of vodka and all we had to chase it was water. Three of us were toasted and I drove back to school and proceeded to throw up all over the dean. I just remember him fireman carrying me over his shoulder from the bathroom to the nurse's office. Ambulance called because they thought I may be on something else. Only got a three day suspension for this because I was a good kid with good  grades. 

When I was 18, I got engaged to a crazy girl. Like full on insane. She was a lot of FUN if you get my drift, but wow, when she got mad, her go to technique was to hit me. Stayed with her for a year. I remember sitting down alone with the person who was going to marry us and he could see that I had scratches on my neck and he said I won't marry you guys--you have to get out of this. Luckily I did. but....

When i was 19, I went out with some friends (same ones from the first story) drunk, we got caught breaking into a car. Again as luck would have it, my friend was dating the arresting officer's daughter and he let us go. I just remember him screaming at my friend that he was never going to date his daughter again.

I met my wife right before I turned 20. We are  both 49 now and have had an amazing life together. i think back to those years and thank my lucky stars where I could have ended up....

 

 

Yeah, if any of about ten moments of my life had gone a tiny bit differently (how they should have gone based on my stupidity) I’d be in a very bad place.  

 

 

And I don’t mean the politics forum. 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There used to be a driving range up the hill and adjacent to a Wal Mart in Milwaukee.  Even with the high nets, you could hook it and launch a ton of balls into the Wal Mart parking lot.  After seeing so many balls bouncing around in the parking lot, we decided to call it.  We could have probably broken a car window or worse.  That was dumb.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On my honeymoon in Italy, we had a rental car driving from Florence to the Amalfi coast. With only limited time (only had 6 total days), we stopped to get gas as we were driving there.

Without paying attention, I filled up the tank and my wife goes "did you put unleaded or diesel?"

Oops.  

We ended up having to call a tow truck, get towed to a mechanic in the middle of the country and then get a taxi back to Rome to get another rental car. Overall cost about $500 total (was a big deal to us back then) and cost us half a day.

Pretty stupid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

I "dated" the wife of a law enforcement officer in a small town while they were separated.  Don't ever do that kids.  Their friends can make your life difficult.  Almost 10 years later and I still have to watch my back.

More please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I will go back 30 years to when I was 21 and in college for my entree into the pantheon of the galatically stupid. I was never big on chasing skirts and wasn't that into the dating scene. At the time, I was fixated on a girl from school, so my social antenna was clearly broken. I was going cross country to see my sister in California, who was in the middle of a wildfire. Entering the airport in NYC, a beautiful girl asked for my help to find her flight, which of course was the same as mine. Text book Hollywood style meeting. Extended conversation broke out. 

Really toned blonde on the tall and lean side. Late 20s. Aerobics / fitness instructor from Australia from a wealthy family on 6-week holiday by herself visiting the States. Accent to die for. Totally down to earth, no filter, and she said whatever came to mind (bordering on TMI). Just wrapped up 2 weeks on the East Coast, moving on to 2 weeks on the West Coast. Still had another 2 weeks unplanned. Asked me for suggestions on where she could spend the other 2 weeks. Said her 3 favorite pastimes were drinking beer, sex, and shopping. Nothing like a good pint and a plunder.

Yada yada yada . . . out of the blue our flight was cancelled. Playing the knight in shining armor, I got us onto a different flight, but it wasn't for a couple more hours. So on to lunch and beer. Our seats on our new flight weren't together, but the person sitting next to me said she and I made such a cute couple and were clearly in love that the person switched seats so she could sit with me. Insert more great conversation. Flight ends in LA. (Now at a total of 10+ hours together since first contact). 

My sister lived in the middle of the wildfires. I tried calling and her line was down (no cell phones then). I was supposed to meet her somewhere that literally had burned down earlier that day. The Aussie girl made 1,001 attempts to get me to do stuff with her. But I was oblivious. And I mean absolutely, 100% impervious like you cannot believe. I wasn't thinking about the girl, I was thinking about the safety and well being of my sister.

First Aussie girl asked me to dinner. Then to stay in LA and show her around. She begged me to stay with her IN HER HOTEL ROOM. She asked me to change my plans so I could go with her on the rest of her trip. She offered to meet me wherever I wanted once I checked in with my sister. Aussie girl offered to reschedule her plans to be able to see me more. She even gave me her home address and number and begged me to come visit her in Australia.

After all that, I was STILL oblivious and declined all her offers and said I really had to go. (I had made some calls and some people had said my sister was missing and unaccounted for). Aussie girl gave me a HUGE 30+ second kiss / hug / embrace goodbye and asked if was there anyway she could get me to change my mind. She wrote down her hotel info and said call her once I got a hold of my sister. Aussie girl even offered to come see me where my sister was located.

Ended up searching for and finding my sister but it took awhile. Couldn't find the paper that had Aussie girl's hotel info and called a couple hotels that sounded similar to the name I thought she said. Couldn't find her. (To magnify how dumb I was, my intent in calling was to let her know my sister was ok.) Helped my sister get whole and reconstituted and then went home.

First day back at school it finally hit me. In the middle of class I blurted out (loudly) I AM SO F'ING STUPID. Yes, boys and girls, I was THAT DENSE that I missed all the signals. I ended up having an on again, off again relationship with the girl I mentioned up top for probably 3 years (but ultimately it didn't last). I wrote Aussie girl a couple of times and apologized profusely for my seeming lack of interest but I never heard back from her. Once in a while I think back to how my life could have turned out differently if I wasn't so clueless.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

First day back at school it finally hit me. In the middle of class I blurted out (loudly) I AM SO F'ING STUPID. Yes, boys and girls, I was THAT DENSE that I missed all the signals. I ended up having an on again, off again relationship with the girl I mentioned up top for probably 3 years (but ultimately it didn't last). I wrote Aussie girl a couple of times and apologized profusely for my seeming lack of interest but I never heard back from her. Once in a while I think back to how my life could have turned out differently if I wasn't so clueless

Now that's special, my man. Aussies rule. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I will go back 30 years to when I was 21 and in college for my entree into the pantheon of the galatically stupid. I was never big on chasing skirts and wasn't that into the dating scene. At the time, I was fixated on a girl from school, so my social antenna was clearly broken. I was going cross country to see my sister in California, who was in the middle of a wildfire. Entering the airport in NYC, a beautiful girl asked for my help to find her flight, which of course was the same as mine. Text book Hollywood style meeting. Extended conversation broke out. 

Really toned blonde on the tall and lean side. Late 20s. Aerobics / fitness instructor from Australia from a wealthy family on 6-week holiday by herself visiting the States. Accent to die for. Totally down to earth, no filter, and she said whatever came to mind (bordering on TMI). Just wrapped up 2 weeks on the East Coast, moving on to 2 weeks on the West Coast. Still had another 2 weeks unplanned. Asked me for suggestions on where she could spend the other 2 weeks. Said her 3 favorite pastimes were drinking beer, sex, and shopping. Nothing like a good pint and a plunder.

Yada yada yada . . . out of the blue our flight was cancelled. Playing the knight in shining armor, I got us onto a different flight, but it wasn't for a couple more hours. So on to lunch and beer. Our seats on our new flight weren't together, but the person sitting next to me said she and I made such a cute couple and were clearly in love that the person switched seats so she could sit with me. Insert more great conversation. Flight ends in LA. (Now at a total of 10+ hours together since first contact). 

My sister lived in the middle of the wildfires. I tried calling and her line was down (no cell phones then). I was supposed to meet her somewhere that literally had burned down earlier that day. The Aussie girl made 1,001 attempts to get me to do stuff with her. But I was oblivious. And I mean absolutely, 100% impervious like you cannot believe. I wasn't thinking about the girl, I was thinking about the safety and well being of my sister.

First Aussie girl asked me to dinner. Then to stay in LA and show her around. She begged me to stay with her IN HER HOTEL ROOM. She asked me to change my plans so I could go with her on the rest of her trip. She offered to meet me wherever I wanted once I checked in with my sister. Aussie girl offered to reschedule her plans to be able to see me more. She even gave me her home address and number and begged me to come visit her in Australia.

After all that, I was STILL oblivious and declined all her offers and said I really had to go. (I had made some calls and some people had said my sister was missing and unaccounted for). Aussie girl gave me a HUGE 30+ second kiss / hug / embrace goodbye and asked if was there anyway she could get me to change my mind. She wrote down her hotel info and said call her once I got a hold of my sister. Aussie girl even offered to come see me where my sister was located.

Ended up searching for and finding my sister but it took awhile. Couldn't find the paper that had Aussie girl's hotel info and called a couple hotels that sounded similar to the name I thought she said. Couldn't find her. (To magnify how dumb I was, my intent in calling was to let her know my sister was ok.) Helped my sister get whole and reconstituted and then went home.

First day back at school it finally hit me. In the middle of class I blurted out (loudly) I AM SO F'ING STUPID. Yes, boys and girls, I was THAT DENSE that I missed all the signals. I ended up having an on again, off again relationship with the girl I mentioned up top for probably 3 years (but ultimately it didn't last). I wrote Aussie girl a couple of times and apologized profusely for my seeming lack of interest but I never heard back from her. Once in a while I think back to how my life could have turned out differently if I wasn't so clueless.

 

 

This is an American tragedy. :sadbanana:

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I will go back 30 years to when I was 21

 

 

Awwww, manarchy! I had a buddy in Reno about that time who would go to Oz once or twice a yr on business, come home with more chicks than he could handle and, for months after, his house would be filled with Aussie girls whom he'd met or who knew gals that he met who made Phase 1A of their ridiculous vacations frolicking with him in the casinos, on the slopes and around Tahoe. All hot blondes who'd gob your knob for makin em pancakes. It literally scared me and i don't scare easy...

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing major as I'm pretty content with where I'm at in life and never really did anything to get myself in trouble but here's the top 3 that I can think of: 

1. I was a park counselor as a summer job in college.  I think I was very good at it.  I was responsible and I believe I was a good role model.  Had a lapse in judgment when I opted to take my kids to another park to do a surprise water balloon attack (all the "cool" counselors were doing it and my older kids begged for it and my female counterpart counselor pressured me a bit too).  I piled like 5 kids and some water balloons in the car. When we arrived it turns out the park anticipated an attack and they ambushed us. By that I mean like 20 kids just pelted the crap out of us with water balloons, buckets, etc.  One of the kids along for the ride had a serious spinal issue and basically had been in a brace for the majority of his life.  He was 16 but maybe the size of a 10 year old. He jumped on the back of the car.  His brother, who was in the back, yelled, "drive!" So, I did.  And the kid fell off the car.  He wasn't seriously hurt but I felt so badly and it would have cost me my job had my supervisor found out. 

2. Turning this board into my personal relationship diary.  Seriously.  It attributed to the ending of a relationship with a girl I was super into and, while that relationship inevitably would have gone south anyway and there's not a huge difference in my life now versus how that may have otherwise turned out, I could have done without the trauma caused by stupidly blasting about it on the internet. Also, I was so hyper-focused on posting about the relationship and it ending that I didn't give the focus I should have to my finals that semester and I lost my scholarship by .003 of a GPA point. That cost me about 45k and a year or so of my life where I was in great shape and had the free time to pursue very attractive girls. 

3.  From about 12-21 years of age I strictly followed the catholic faith.  This caused me to miss many chances with girls, become pretty introverted, and alienate some friends of mine that happened to be gay.  I was very dumb for not trying to learn about religion more objectively. 

Honorable mention: My college roommate and I basically ran the Rounders scheme on our friends in college to pay for beer and food a few times.  In other words we'd each make (or, probably better put, steal) ~$5 from our friends.  One guy found out and was understandably pissed so I basically cost myself a friendship for $5.  I still feel really really badly when I talk to some of the guys we played poker with.  So so dumb just to get literal pennies from people. 

Edited by Zow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I will go back 30 years to when I was 21 and in college for my entree into the pantheon of the galatically stupid. I was never big on chasing skirts and wasn't that into the dating scene. At the time, I was fixated on a girl from school, so my social antenna was clearly broken. I was going cross country to see my sister in California, who was in the middle of a wildfire. Entering the airport in NYC, a beautiful girl asked for my help to find her flight, which of course was the same as mine. Text book Hollywood style meeting. Extended conversation broke out. 

Really toned blonde on the tall and lean side. Late 20s. Aerobics / fitness instructor from Australia from a wealthy family on 6-week holiday by herself visiting the States. Accent to die for. Totally down to earth, no filter, and she said whatever came to mind (bordering on TMI). Just wrapped up 2 weeks on the East Coast, moving on to 2 weeks on the West Coast. Still had another 2 weeks unplanned. Asked me for suggestions on where she could spend the other 2 weeks. Said her 3 favorite pastimes were drinking beer, sex, and shopping. Nothing like a good pint and a plunder.

Yada yada yada . . . out of the blue our flight was cancelled. Playing the knight in shining armor, I got us onto a different flight, but it wasn't for a couple more hours. So on to lunch and beer. Our seats on our new flight weren't together, but the person sitting next to me said she and I made such a cute couple and were clearly in love that the person switched seats so she could sit with me. Insert more great conversation. Flight ends in LA. (Now at a total of 10+ hours together since first contact). 

My sister lived in the middle of the wildfires. I tried calling and her line was down (no cell phones then). I was supposed to meet her somewhere that literally had burned down earlier that day. The Aussie girl made 1,001 attempts to get me to do stuff with her. But I was oblivious. And I mean absolutely, 100% impervious like you cannot believe. I wasn't thinking about the girl, I was thinking about the safety and well being of my sister.

First Aussie girl asked me to dinner. Then to stay in LA and show her around. She begged me to stay with her IN HER HOTEL ROOM. She asked me to change my plans so I could go with her on the rest of her trip. She offered to meet me wherever I wanted once I checked in with my sister. Aussie girl offered to reschedule her plans to be able to see me more. She even gave me her home address and number and begged me to come visit her in Australia.

After all that, I was STILL oblivious and declined all her offers and said I really had to go. (I had made some calls and some people had said my sister was missing and unaccounted for). Aussie girl gave me a HUGE 30+ second kiss / hug / embrace goodbye and asked if was there anyway she could get me to change my mind. She wrote down her hotel info and said call her once I got a hold of my sister. Aussie girl even offered to come see me where my sister was located.

Ended up searching for and finding my sister but it took awhile. Couldn't find the paper that had Aussie girl's hotel info and called a couple hotels that sounded similar to the name I thought she said. Couldn't find her. (To magnify how dumb I was, my intent in calling was to let her know my sister was ok.) Helped my sister get whole and reconstituted and then went home.

First day back at school it finally hit me. In the middle of class I blurted out (loudly) I AM SO F'ING STUPID. Yes, boys and girls, I was THAT DENSE that I missed all the signals. I ended up having an on again, off again relationship with the girl I mentioned up top for probably 3 years (but ultimately it didn't last). I wrote Aussie girl a couple of times and apologized profusely for my seeming lack of interest but I never heard back from her. Once in a while I think back to how my life could have turned out differently if I wasn't so clueless.

 

 

Damn, ouch. 

I sat next to an attractive girl from the UAE (and likely wealthy) on a plane once.  She offered to fly me out to the UAE to hang out with her.  I had a girlfriend so I stupidly turned her down.  But that pales in comparison to your blunder.  Jesus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...