What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (2 Viewers)

I actually think that plays into Buttigieg's hands.  One of the advantages he has going for him - in relation to Trump - is that Buttigieg is the adult in the room - so if the childish name calling comes out - that just makes those in the middle a little less likely to want to associate with that.
The Trump rallies if he's running against Pete are going to be something else. 

On conservative websites Buttigieg is suddenly getting special attention of the sort normally reserved for AOC. But they don’t seem to know how to react to him. Most of the comments so far are crude, bigoted remarks which use his last name for wordplay
Yeah, but this was literally a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

Without looking up the dates - does that first tweet from 2017, coincide with Pence's "stunt" with the Colts game - where he attended, but was too offended by the players to stay for the game?  Or was that a different stunt?
Yup.  Same date.

He is quite convinced that Mayor Pete is, as he puts it, "the giver."
In my neck of the woods, and back in the day, folks distinguished between the "buck" and the "doe" in a relationship.  Ahh ... gentle euphemisms, turns out that whether they are gentle or not depends precisely upon one's investment in the issue.

Me, I like to think that Mayor Pete is a giving human being.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayor Pete Isn’t Just Winning Over People on the Internet

This can all seem like flavor-of-the-month political coverage. But his event on Friday night in Manchester got so many RSVPs that it had to move from a bar to an art museum down the road. And even then there were more people chanting outside than most of the candidates are getting.

The next morning, here at a bookstore on the main stretch of the state capital, Buttigieg had to have security clear a path as he made his way through a crowd with Representative Ann Kuster at his side, visibly surprised by the turnout.

Yes, many of the people at both events told me, they can actually see this 37-year-old who probably couldn’t win his local House seat being the president. Of the United States. Like, giving the State of the Union and Oval Office addresses. Picking a Cabinet, responding to foreign terrorist attacks, negotiating with foreign leaders, introducing a budget. Or as Lucas Harrington, a 22-year-old student who got the mayor to sign his autobiography, put it to me, “I would imagine President Pete, because his name is going to be just as hard to pronounce if he wins.”

He and his staff are just as surprised that his campaign has taken off like this, and that he got booked for Ellen before he finished hiring Iowa or New Hampshire directors. The plan was to build slowly, get articles written about him as an intriguing curiosity, hope for a breakout line in the first primary debate at the end of June, and then try to get a turn in the spotlight like this maybe at the end of the summer.

For the people wondering about policy:

Buttigieg says that he expects he’ll probably do some policy roll-out of his own starting in May, as part of a reading on the race that “you’ve got to have a feat per month.” He disputes the idea that he needs to focus more on policy, though he notes that he’d like to see a health-care plan that accounts for the transition from the current system to universal coverage, and would like to see more attention paid to issues related to public education.

When he was running for mayor the first time, Buttigieg recalls, he was the only candidate who produced a written economic-development plan.

“I’m sure nobody read it. But everybody liked the idea that it was there. It was important that it was there, that you could check it if you wanted to. But I don’t know how many people actually consulted it,” Buttigieg said. “The whole point of electing politicians is to figure that out so you don’t have to. You’ve just got to make sure they have the right principles, and agree with you on the right stuff.”

It's interesting to think about whether being gay is an advantage, disadvantage, or completely irrelevant.  I'd argue that it gets people (particularly liberals) curious about him.  That's a good thing, at least at this stage in the race.

For the people wondering about policy:

Buttigieg says that he expects he’ll probably do some policy roll-out of his own starting in May, as part of a reading on the race that “you’ve got to have a feat per month.” He disputes the idea that he needs to focus more on policy, though he notes that he’d like to see a health-care plan that accounts for the transition from the current system to universal coverage, and would like to see more attention paid to issues related to public education.

When he was running for mayor the first time, Buttigieg recalls, he was the only candidate who produced a written economic-development plan.

“I’m sure nobody read it. But everybody liked the idea that it was there. It was important that it was there, that you could check it if you wanted to. But I don’t know how many people actually consulted it,” Buttigieg said. “The whole point of electing politicians is to figure that out so you don’t have to. You’ve just got to make sure they have the right principles, and agree with you on the right stuff.”
I guess I just shouldn't worry my pretty little head about policy.

Dude rubs me the wrong way on this. Really bad. It feels condescending. 

Good, in-depth look at Pete’s time as Mayor and some of the things they did to revitalize South Bend; what worked, what problems remain elusive. 

https://www.wired.com/story/pete-buttigieg-revived-south-bend-with-tech-up-next-america/
Very interesting read.  South Bend is lucky to have advantages over other cities with the high concentrations of fiber-optic cable and having Notre Dame there.  However, good managers capitalize on their advantages and he seems to have done that.

I guess I just shouldn't worry my pretty little head about policy.

Dude rubs me the wrong way on this. Really bad. It feels condescending. 
Understood. 

Do you have a favorite among the possible candidates? If so, by how much are you excited about them and why?

Understood. 

Do you have a favorite among the possible candidates? If so, by how much are you excited about them and why?
I'm all in for Bernie. Very excited. Because I believe him. I believe him when he tells me he is going to fight for us. Because he's been doing it for his entire career.  All the stuff that is cool to be for now he was for when it wasn't. And he stayed for it anyway because it was right. While others needed to evolve Bernie was defending gays in the military. Bernie was talking about the climate as early as Al Gore. Bernie was worried about income equality before anyone else would deign to even acknowledge it. And Bernie was fighting for a better medical system long before anyone else. Now you have a lot of Johnny come latelys who are all grabbing a piece of that platform.  Which is great that's how our system works.  But I don't trust them the same way. They didn't seem to be that into it until they decided to run. Sorry give me the original.

Did you used to listen to Bernie on Thom Hartmann on Fridays? I used to love that. Didn’t always agree with him (or the host either) but talk about thoughtful conversation. 

There are few talk show hosts I admire more more than Hartmann. Obviously I disagree with him on some very central issues. But I love how he always expresses ideas with great clarity, and I love how civil and polite  is he to everyone, never nasty or rude even when people get that way with him. I wish I could be more like that. 

Did you used to listen to Bernie on Thom Hartmann on Fridays? I used to love that. Didn’t always agree with him (or the host either) but talk about thoughtful conversation. 

There are few talk show hosts I admire more more than Hartmann. Obviously I disagree with him on some very central issues. But I love how he always expresses ideas with great clarity, and I love how civil and polite  is he to everyone, never nasty or rude even when people get that way with him. I wish I could be more like that. 
I like Hartmann and I've heard a couple of those shows.

NCCommish said:
I'm all in for Bernie. Very excited. Because I believe him. I believe him when he tells me he is going to fight for us. Because he's been doing it for his entire career.  All the stuff that is cool to be for now he was for when it wasn't. And he stayed for it anyway because it was right. While others needed to evolve Bernie was defending gays in the military. Bernie was talking about the climate as early as Al Gore. Bernie was worried about income equality before anyone else would deign to even acknowledge it. And Bernie was fighting for a better medical system long before anyone else. Now you have a lot of Johnny come latelys who are all grabbing a piece of that platform.  Which is great that's how our system works.  But I don't trust them the same way. They didn't seem to be that into it until they decided to run. Sorry give me the original.
*Looks at bold.  Looks at thread title.  Is confused about your stance on Mayor Pete*

*Looks at bold.  Looks at thread title.  Is confused about your stance on Mayor Pete*
My problem with Mayor Pete has nothing to do with his sexuality. My problem with Mayor Pete is about policy and how he reacts when people ask him to talk about policy that's it.

My problem with Mayor Pete has nothing to do with his sexuality. My problem with Mayor Pete is about policy and how he reacts when people ask him to talk about policy that's it.
Fair enough.  Few people can you trust that their convictions are what they say they are than Bernie.

Hell, in a somewhat ironic situation, Mayor Pete wrote an award winning essay about basically that point.  So even he likely agrees with you at least on this.

Yes, I get your argument.  I don't agree that him talking about his values vs policy specifics is a big issue. However, Pete was literally doing the thing Bernie fought for. Do you think he wouldn't do fight for that right as president?

Give it some time.  Keep an open mind. It’s strategic and I don’t disagree with the strategy. 

Yes, I get your argument.  I don't agree that him talking about his values vs policy specifics is a big issue. However, Pete was literally doing the thing Bernie fought for. Do you think he wouldn't do fight for that right as president?
Maybe he should let us know what he intends to fight for. That's what I'm saying. 

Getting Obama flashbacks. Pretty speech's, trust my principles and then govern far different than he campaigned. I dont like the strategy. 
Strategy to get elected is not the same thing as positions before and after election.  They are completely independent concepts.  One is about consistency of position. But I certainly understand your concern.  

I watched several videos with Mayor Pete last night while I walked.  I love his demeanor and laid back style.  I love that he seems thoughtful and takes time to think on issues.  I somewhat agree with NCC that he needs to tell us more about his policies but there's still time and I'm ok to disagree on some things with him - even big things.  And as many people are saying he seems to be the exact opposite of Trump - the only thing "missing" is if he were a racial minority.  Having said all of that, one thing really jumped out more than anything as being unique - his talking about faith and the religious left.  It is something that I think will really resonate with people.  Say what you want about religion (and we do around here) but the vast majority of us have some level of faith and religion in our lives.  And in particular there's many people who have their identity wrapped up in their religion.  And there's definitely a segment of people on the left who demonize that and belittle people of faith.  It becomes a nonstarter for many people.  I think this one issue could be the thing that makes him a real contender in 2020.

ETA - adding to be clear - when I say a "segment" it's definitely a small segment and is not accepted - likewise there's a segment on the right who do the same but typically targeted towards specific religions and less towards all religions.  Also, like Mayor Pete, I'm fine with religious folks being called out on bad policy, even when it's driven by religious beliefs.

I watched several videos with Mayor Pete last night while I walked.  I love his demeanor and laid back style.  I love that he seems thoughtful and takes time to think on issues.  I somewhat agree with NCC that he needs to tell us more about his policies but there's still time and I'm ok to disagree on some things with him - even big things.  And as many people are saying he seems to be the exact opposite of Trump - the only thing "missing" is if he were a racial minority.  Having said all of that, one thing really jumped out more than anything as being unique - his talking about faith and the religious left.  It is something that I think will really resonate with people.  Say what you want about religion (and we do around here) but the vast majority of us have some level of faith and religion in our lives.  And in particular there's many people who have their identity wrapped up in their religion.  And there's definitely a segment of people on the left who demonize that and belittle people of faith.  It becomes a nonstarter for many people.  I think this one issue could be the thing that makes him a real contender in 2020.

ETA - adding to be clear - when I say a "segment" it's definitely a small segment and is not accepted - likewise there's a segment on the right who do the same but typically targeted towards specific religions and less towards all religions.  Also, like Mayor Pete, I'm fine with religious folks being called out on bad policy, even when it's driven by religious beliefs.
Just echoing that I think Pete's more open religious identity is a benefit. Personally, I'm not a believer, and there were times in my younger days when I was more openly hostile to religion. As I've grown up and settling in to my life, I've definitely changed on that. Religion certainly still isn't for me, but I'll happily accept it among my friends and family (within reason -- I wouldn't abide them using it as justification for things I consider immoral or bad). Oddly enough, the most religious of my close friends are an Episcopal lesbian couple. Theirs is the only wedding I've been to that had an officiant in a fancy robe in a fancy church, and I'm going to their son's baptism in a month. There's definitely an open lane for a "modern" religious left-wing candidate.

Da Bootyjudge (who a you ta judge?!) has promised a policy storm soon - remember, he hasnt even 'announced' yet (Sunday) - but i believe that the reason he's set his values out before his policies is that he honestly believes no political demographic need have enemies but all do, so is just inviting everybody in the tent first as a workaround to that phenomenon. He's playing poker while everyone else is banging the slots.

Da Bootyjudge (who a you ta judge?!) has promised a policy storm soon - remember, he hasnt even 'announced' yet (Sunday) - but i believe that the reason he's set his values out before his policies is that he honestly believes no political demographic need have enemies but all do, so is just inviting everybody in the tent first as a workaround to that phenomenon. He's playing poker while everyone else is banging the slots.
Easy with the ribald references.  That's somebody's daughter  candidate there guy!

Users who are viewing this thread