Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

Sinn Fein

I think the other thing to keep in mind as these fund-raising numbers come in:

March 10, 2019

That was the date of the CNN Town Hall (also same date for Gabbard and Delaney to have their town hall on CNN).  That was the date where Buttigieg really grabbed some national headlines and attention and propelled himself into the discussion.  So, much of his fundraising has taken place in the last 3 weeks.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think the other thing to keep in mind as these fund-raising numbers come in:

March 10, 2019

That was the date of the CNN Town Hall (also same date for Gabbard and Delaney to have their town hall on CNN).  That was the date where Buttigieg really grabbed some national headlines and attention and propelled himself into the discussion.  So, much of his fundraising has taken place in the last 3 weeks.

My love affair with the Bootyj:heart:dge began on Valentine's Day when he was on Colbert

• Like 1

Why You Love Mayor Pete

-David Brooks NYT op-ed

This is a pretty good opinion piece, and does a good job identifying why I like Buttigieg.

The Trump era has been all about dissolving moral norms and waging vicious attacks. This has been an era of culture war, class warfare and identity politics. It’s been an era in which call-out culture, reality TV melodrama and tribal grandstanding have overshadowed policymaking and the challenges of actually governing.

The Buttigieg surge suggests that there are a lot of Democrats who want to say goodbye to all that. They don’t want to fight fire and divisiveness with more fire and divisiveness. They don’t want to fight white identity politics with another kind of identity politics.

They are sick of the moral melodrama altogether. They just want a person who is more about governing than virtue-signaling, more about friendliness and basic decency than media circus and rhetorical war.

Buttigieg’s secret is that he transcends many of the tensions that run through our society in a way that makes people on all sides feel comfortable.

I’ve only met Buttigieg once, when we were seated at the same table at a dinner in Detroit a few months ago. He was smart, modest and self-effacing, and I can’t square that impression with his assumption that at 37 he’s qualified to be president of the United States.

But maybe that’s Buttigieg — he squares a lot of circles. He deftly detaches progressive policy positions from the culture war. He offers change without Sturm und Drang.

• Like 5

Kind of stating the obvious at this point - but with some interesting data to back it up - Axios report

Interest in Pete Buttigieg is exploding

By the numbers:

• Since his March 10 CNN town hall, he's added 447k followers on Twitter. His next closest 2020 competitor, Beto O'Rourke, has picked up 137k in that period, per CrowdTangle.
  • Buttigieg has generated more engagement with his tweets (2.10 million interactions) during this period than any other candidate's main account except O'Rourke (2.17 million) — with half as many followers.
  • During this period, he's added more followers on Instagram (90k) and Facebook (75k) than any other candidate except O'Rourke (92k, 82k), per CrowdTangle.
  • Interest in Buttigieg, as seen through Google searches, has taken off. As CNN's Harry Enten writes, "Google searches have been correlated with jumps in the polls this primary season."
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Why You Love Mayor Pete

-David Brooks NYT op-ed

This is a pretty good opinion piece, and does a good job identifying why I like Buttigieg.

The Trump era has been all about dissolving moral norms and waging vicious attacks. This has been an era of culture war, class warfare and identity politics. It’s been an era in which call-out culture, reality TV melodrama and tribal grandstanding have overshadowed policymaking and the challenges of actually governing.

The Buttigieg surge suggests that there are a lot of Democrats who want to say goodbye to all that. They don’t want to fight fire and divisiveness with more fire and divisiveness. They don’t want to fight white identity politics with another kind of identity politics.

They are sick of the moral melodrama altogether. They just want a person who is more about governing than virtue-signaling, more about friendliness and basic decency than media circus and rhetorical war.

Buttigieg’s secret is that he transcends many of the tensions that run through our society in a way that makes people on all sides feel comfortable.

I’ve only met Buttigieg once, when we were seated at the same table at a dinner in Detroit a few months ago. He was smart, modest and self-effacing, and I can’t square that impression with his assumption that at 37 he’s qualified to be president of the United States.

But maybe that’s Buttigieg — he squares a lot of circles. He deftly detaches progressive policy positions from the culture war. He offers change without Sturm und Drang.

The bolded is something Pete talked about in the Vox interview with Ezra Klein. Paraphrasing a little, his way of expressing this is that people feel about you the way you make them feel about themselves. 

I'm surprised how much push-back that is actually getting from some Democrats. Some are really quickly jumping to the idea that Pete is "pandering" to Trump voters and bashing Hillary. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

I'm surprised how much push-back that is actually getting from some Democrats. Some are really quickly jumping to the idea that Pete is "pandering" to Trump voters and bashing Hillary. 

I'm curious, who is doing this?  Other politicians? Political talking heads? Twitter?

As a registered Republican that identifies far more as a centrist (and did actually vote for Gary Johnson - mistake though it may have been), I'm really liking Mayor Pete.  First was exposed to him on Preet Bharara's podcast and I haven't seen much since then to make me dislike the guy.

• Like 3

Late to the party here. 

Like everyone else, I've been seeing the buzz everywhere. 

What's the Cliff Notes scouting report on Buttigieg? 

How does he compare to the other front runners?

And to add, I read the NYT article. Thanks for sharing. Mostly interested in your take.

Edited by Joe Bryant

8 minutes ago, Polish Hammer said:

As a registered Republican that identifies far more as a centrist (and did actually vote for Gary Johnson - mistake though it may have been), I'm really liking Mayor Pete.  First was exposed to him on Preet Bharara's podcast and I haven't seen much since then to make me dislike the guy.

that's what got me interested too

12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Late to the party here. 

I think we're still learning that, frankly.  He doesn't have "policy" out yet so it's a lot of trying to piece things together from interviews.  If you have the time, my recommendation is to watch some of the videos that posters here linked in the last several days.  I think it will give you a good idea of his general character and how bright he is.  The CNN townhall would be a good place to start.

From what I've read from you, I think you will like him.  I think you'll particularly connect with him on his religious views.  

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Late to the party here. 

You just have to watch him speak. The Bill Maher appearance is as good an introduction as any (because it’s very short), but any random YouTube clip will do.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I'm curious, who is doing this?  Other politicians? Political talking heads? Twitter?

Here’s an OpEd talking about it. The Twitter threads about this are less pleasant. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/29/spare-us-lectures-democratic-candidates-about-how-democratic-voters-are-problem/?utm_term=.3712fc018763#click=https://t.co/6ZW13PlW0v

Edited by Arsenal of Doom
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Polish Hammer said:

Do you have a link for the podcast? Scrolled through the titles and didn't see it. 

14 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Add another Meme to the list, because, of course he did...

Josh Billinson‏Verified account @jbillinson

Pete Buttigieg ran into a couple at his office in South Bend this morning and officiated their wedding on the spot because they wanted to get married before their c-section appointment 45 minutes later

Facebook link:  https://www.facebook.com/PeteButtigiegSB/posts/2392772324067206

No missteps for Mayor Momentum.  BTW, I have not copyrighted Mayor Momentum so feel free to use it if so inclined.  That said, if he adopts Take It Where You Find It as his campaign song and Mayor Momentum as his slogan I want some credit down the road.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

I was a little annoyed by this quote, mostly because I'm tired of everyone on all sides putting the onus on reaching across the aisle entirely on the relatively powerless majority and not at all on the disproportionately powerful minority.  Seems like it should be the other way around to me.

But other than this very minor misstep, I love what I'm hearing from Mayor Pete. I recommended him earlier as a potential VP for someone like Harris, and I still think that's the best fit for someone so young and with so little experience with the federal government. But if the public shows they're open to electing someone this young and relatively green, sign me up.

3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Why You Love Mayor Pete

-David Brooks NYT op-ed

David Brooks is probably the country's leading voice for morality and decency in politics and, like @Joe Bryant, believes that America's resting face is a determined smile, so the Bootyjudge would be right up his alley. As i said before, this is how Jimmy Carter floated to the top in a field of 13 candidates when i covered him 40some years ago - evenness & sense & moral center in a sea of turmoil. But neither do i think America is tired of derisiveness and divisiveness nor do i believe that the average citizen is even a citizen (i used to - my stock phrase was "I believe every American is conservative 'til their own are taken care of, then liberal as they can afford to be", but selfishness & oblivion have eroded that away) anymore but, rather, a customer, and therefore prey to regular fits of greedy temper. So it remains to be seen if Mayor Pete is more than a dashboard icon for those who want to pretend they're decent & sensible for a while.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

The bolded is something Pete talked about in the Vox interview with Ezra Klein. Paraphrasing a little, his way of expressing this is that people feel about you the way you make them feel about themselves. 

Which is really weird since Pete was a delegate for Hillary. Just the machine taking shots at the guy. How it handles it will be a good test for what is to come if he keeps the momentum going. Edited to add that I think he absolutely should extend a hand to Trump voters who realize the leadership and moral disaster he is. The ones that will follow Trump off the cliff are unreachable, but there are plenty of Trump voters who are looking for an alternative, especially here in the Midwest where the Dems need to win. 

He's in a safe space right now; dark horse that many don't think has a chance. Virtually unknown a few months ago. If he keep the momentum going he'll get the same attacks and smears as Biden, Beto and Harris, etc. Might as well take some friendly fire now and practice for the onslaught to come. He just needs to keep saying what he believes and let the rest roll off his back. I have no problem with him ruffling feathers, or even saying things I don't necessarily agree with once in a while.  I just don't want him to get some political consultant into his head making him second guess his beliefs and turning him into some typical market tested pol. His biggest challenge going forward is to stay who he is, because that is his best quality.

Edited by ericttspikes
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

And to add, I read the NYT article. Thanks for sharing. Mostly interested in your take.

Buttigieg has been generating background buzz for a few years now.  I don't recall exactly when I first heard about him -  I seem to recall Obama had identified Buttigieg as a rising star within the party, and maybe that is where his name first registered.  I knew the bare minimum about him when he ran for the Chair of the DNC after the 2016 elections - that is:  Young, Gay, Mayor, South Bend. 

When I started the Race for the White House thread - my initial comments:

Pete Buttigieg - South Bend - young, openly gay - no chance

After that, I never gave him much thought.

Then starting with the CNN Town Hall - I started to see a lot of buzz about him.  And as the stories started to roll in - most bordered on unbelievable.  So, I started to watch and listen to his interviews.

Politically, I don't think we (Pete and I) are always on the same wave length - on some issues I am probably further left - on others he is left enough, or I am centrist enough.

But, the first thing I noticed about Mayor Pete - how relatable he was.  He gave thoughtful answers.  He does not come across as condescending.   He acknowledges and validates people's opinions.  Of all the candidates I have watched in this short cycle - he is the only one who I think can unite the country around some common elements.  I think more than any particular political position - this is what the country needs most.

One of the areas I think some people may want more from Buttigieg - more in depth policy - is an area that does not concern me.  I would rather have a president who has leadership qualities, rather than be a policy wonk.  So, his lack of detailed policy information is not a deterrent to my support - though it is an area where he will have to ramp up by the debates this summer.

I like that he is wicked smart - and thoughtful.  He strikes me as one who is intellectually curious, who has the capacity to weigh significant issues, and reach a thoughtful conclusion. 

Mayor Pete will (and has) answer for his lack of federal experience.  His version is that he has 8 years of executive experience, getting things done - and that "shouldn't Washington look like our best run cities, rather than the other way around?"

Long read - short version - he is the antithesis of Donald Trump - he is empathetic,  he seeks to unite, rather than divide, he seeks to think, rather than react, he has the intellectual curiosity and the open mindedness to seek opinions from multiple points of view.    He is a good person, who seems to be operating with the goal of helping others.  Whether or not he can get the nomination or win the election - we need more people like Pete Buttigieg leading the national conversation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

A great indicator for how he is resonating with people? My entire family is onboard. That has never happened. If there is no significant dirt on him, there is going to be some historical stuff seen in this campaign.

Edit: Obviously, he's doing a good job of minimizing policy talk but being a pragmatist I have faith that he'll do just fine.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, Sinn Fein said:

Long video - 66 minutes - Politics and Prose (DC Bookstore, where Buttigieg sat down for an interview around his book "Shortest Way Home")

Obviously a long interview (and I have not watched all of it yet), but I find that its a really good way to hear Buttigieg in a non-candidate setting.  He was already "running" at this stage, but its not a stump speech or a town hall with predictable questions and answers.

Pete Buttigieg discusses his book , "The Shortest Way Home", at Politics and Prose on2/17/19. When Buttigieg left a successful business career to return to South Bend, Indiana, his hometown had been declared a “dying city” by Newsweek magazine. Elected mayor in 2011 and re-elected in 2015, Buttigieg, a Harvard-educated Rhodes Scholar and U.S. Navy veteran, was determined to change that. Going directly to the community, he met with residents, reclaimed abandoned houses, confronted gun violence, and attracted high-tech industry.

Today South Bend is a shining success, and Buttigieg’s candid and compassionate account is both an inspiring story of how politics can and should work and an introduction to one of today’s rising political figures.

Buttigieg is in conversation with Jonathan Allen, a journalist for NBC News and the co-author of the books "Shattered" and "HRC".

I would recommend this interview - only because it is a little less campaign, and a little bit more insight into the person.

As @Maurile Tremblay noted the Real Time with Bill Mahar was also a good hit - only about 10 minutes, and some tough questions to deal with.

But, as others have said - pretty much any interview you find on youtube will give you a sense of who he is.

He is definitely at the inflection point of his campaign - and he now has a small window to transform from flavor of the month - to legitimate front-runner.  He needs to ramp up his campaign - in almost every conceivable way - fundraising, on-line, on the ground, and building more detailed policy positions.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Buttigieg has been generating background buzz for a few years now.  I don't recall exactly when I first heard about him -  I seem to recall Obama had identified Buttigieg as a rising star within the party, and maybe that is where his name first registered.  I knew the bare minimum about him when he ran for the Chair of the DNC after the 2016 elections - that is:  Young, Gay, Mayor, South Bend. 

When I started the Race for the White House thread - my initial comments:

Pete Buttigieg - South Bend - young, openly gay - no chance

After that, I never gave him much thought.

Then starting with the CNN Town Hall - I started to see a lot of buzz about him.  And as the stories started to roll in - most bordered on unbelievable.  So, I started to watch and listen to his interviews.

Politically, I don't think we (Pete and I) are always on the same wave length - on some issues I am probably further left - on others he is left enough, or I am centrist enough.

But, the first thing I noticed about Mayor Pete - how relatable he was.  He gave thoughtful answers.  He does not come across as condescending.   He acknowledges and validates people's opinions.  Of all the candidates I have watched in this short cycle - he is the only one who I think can unite the country around some common elements.  I think more than any particular political position - this is what the country needs most.

One of the areas I think some people may want more from Buttigieg - more in depth policy - is an area that does not concern me.  I would rather have a president who has leadership qualities, rather than be a policy wonk.  So, his lack of detailed policy information is not a deterrent to my support - though it is an area where he will have to ramp up by the debates this summer.

I like that he is wicked smart - and thoughtful.  He strikes me as one who is intellectually curious, who has the capacity to weigh significant issues, and reach a thoughtful conclusion. 

Mayor Pete will (and has) answer for his lack of federal experience.  His version is that he has 8 years of executive experience, getting things done - and that "shouldn't Washington look like our best run cities, rather than the other way around?"

Long read - short version - he is the antithesis of Donald Trump - he is empathetic,  he seeks to unite, rather than divide, he seeks to think, rather than react, he has the intellectual curiosity and the open mindedness to seek opinions from multiple points of view.    He is a good person, who seems to be operating with the goal of helping others.  Whether or not he can get the nomination or win the election - we need more people like Pete Buttigieg leading the national conversation.

The bolded is the key word here. Actually, it's probably the key word in living with others and it's almost a shame that it looks so striking and fresh in this commentary. The act of not reacting - taking pause, considering the new information, the source of it, the content, style & effect of reply before answering - has a price above rubies anymore.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3

I thought this was an interesting data set from 538 - given the perception of the amount of buzz Buttigieg is generating:

Micah Cohen‏Verified account @micahcohen

FollowFollow @micahcohen

More

Most cable news coverage last week:

1. @BetoORourke
2. @KamalaHarris
3.@SenSanders
4. @ewarren
5. @CoryBooker
6. @amyklobuchar
7. Everyone else

https://53eig.ht/2UqCws5

16 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Buttigieg reminds me of Obama in one way that I always found very slightly annoying: he begins too many sentences with, “Look.”

I noticed that too, because i was Irishly raised not to trust anyone who drank gin or said "look". It might be a Harvard thing but, in these hysterical times, it might also be the forensic equivalent to count-to-ten, adult voice or sumn likat. I don't automatically resent it from him, but i could.

Edited by wikkidpissah

Just now, Parrothead said:

If I were trying to get noticed, I would end every sentence with my hands in the air saying "can you diiiig iiitttt" like Cyrus in the Warriors

Would have saved the "Rent is too damn high!" guy a few years ago to add that.

Pete Buttigieg on faith, his marriage and Mike Pence

CNN interview between Buttigieg and Father Edward Beck (Roman Catholic Priest)

It covers the hot-topic buttons:  his faith and how it intersects with his military service, the abortion debate, being gay, and his marriage.

@Joe Bryant - you might find this discussion helpful.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Buttigieg reminds me of Obama in one way that I always found very slightly annoying: he begins too many sentences with, “Look.”

I agree but he settles into his conversation real fast and he does have a calming effect when he speaks. 

Beto gives me anxiety with his voice and flapping his arms around like he has cerebral palsy. 

• Like 1

Building on some of the earlier discussion about Mayor Pete’s approach to religion, here’s an interesting article by Kirsten Powers reflecting on her conversations with him about Christianity and faith. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/04/03/mayor-pete-buttigieg-christian-right-2020-democratic-primary-trump-column/3342767002/

On 4/2/2019 at 9:04 AM, Joe Bryant said:

Young, smart, eloquent, military service, Millenial, Mayor, gay, great speaking ability (no idea on ability to deliver a passionate speech though).

Overall, he's a 37 or so year old guy who differentiates himself based on his youth, military service, checks the box on diversity for being gay despite being white/male, and has an ability to engage on rather complicated issues while avoiding typical Democratic pitfalls.

He harkens mostly back to Obama in terms of seeking to unite folks rather than divide, speaks pretty forthrightly about flaws with the democratic approach, the criticality of the next presidential campaign in terms of setting the course for the next few decades in politics, and talks compellingly about being a young person who is getting engaged in the country because he has lot at stake on issues like climate change and more.

He seems to grasp policy quite well, speaks about morality and faith in ways that are rare for those on the left, and he talks about folks on the left just really coming out with the positions they care about and where they stand.

He avoids talking about Trump as much as possible, and wants the conversation to be almost totally focused on what Democrats can do for folks.  He wants to put policies in effect that benefit folks on a personal level, and by doing that, you win the long game.  And that seems to be his focus...setting the table for a decades-long progressive era.

Just a few highlights from some of the podcasts/interviews I've listened to.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

We're about one week from watching live news coverage of Mayor Pete rushing into a burning house and returning with a baby and a basket of kittens just in time for him to also help a bystander deliver a baby.

• Like 1

Just now, Plorfu said:

We're about one week from watching live news coverage of Mayor Pete rushing into a burning house and returning with a baby and a basket of kittens just in time for him to also help a bystander deliver a baby.

Seriously.  First with Trump winning, then basically having a tweet in his history that contradicted almost everything he was saying, and now we have a candidate like Pete speaking multiple languages, instruments, military service, gay, incredible education background, and a mayor...and more stuff keeps coming out.  

The folks in charge of the simulation are clearly screwing with us.

29 minutes ago, Plorfu said:

...and declares In My Life is his favorite Beatles song, ever.

My love for Buttigieg grows:

Buttigieg on free college: Americans who have a college degree earn more than Americans who don't. As a progressive, I have a hard time getting my head around the idea that a majority who earn less because they didn't go to college should subsidize a minority who earn more because they did.

• Like 4