What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars thread - Drunken Sailors at Mayport Shocked at Jags Spending *** (2 Viewers)

Any reaction to the reports that Urban Meyer is going to be the next coach (probably more than that)? Any chance he decides to draft Fields instead of Lawrence?

Any reaction to the reports that Urban Meyer is going to be the next coach (probably more than that)? Any chance he decides to draft Fields instead of Lawrence?
I'm nota Jags fan but am a Florida fan. JAX is also interested in Ryan ODay the assistant coach that Urban Meyer defended who beat the daylights out of his wife that Meyer and the school covered up. Jax is going after some pretty sleazy coaches. I wouldn't go after Urban. I appreciated what he did at Florida but it came at a huge cost of destroying a ton of culture and the school is lucky they cleaned it up before NCAA got involved with sanctions. Dude hates losing so I don't think if he has 2 yrs of losing in JAX he's gonna stay long. He's a good college coach but I wouldn't touch either of these guys if I'm the Jags. Low key followed the Jags for yrs as they always seem to draft a few Florida guys. Would hate to see either of these two slim balls coaching this team. recipe for disaster. 

My hope is that the Jacksonville Jaguars do not hire Urban Meyer and here are my concerns:

1.  Shad Khan would be hiring Meyer because he's a big name and it would be big splash news.

2.  Meyer has no NFL experience.  I want to see the Jaguars bring in someone who has been in the NFL for a few years and can deal with a very young and inexperienced roster of players.  There is a big difference between being able to bring in recruited players than having to draft the players you want.

3.  Most of Meyer's QB's have not had sustained NFL success, so I don't trust him to develop Trevor Lawrence or any other young QB that would be on the roster.  I did look it up, here are the QB's he has worked with in college:  Josh Harris, Bowling Green; Alex Smith, Utah; Chris Leak, Florida; Tim Tebow, Florida; Braxton Miller, Ohio State; and Cardale Jones, Ohio State.

4.  I can easily see him quitting coaching in the NFL due to health reasons after a 2-3 year run of consistent losing.

Dude. Are you serious?? Ryan Day is the head coach for Ohio State. I don't think there is a University out there that would hire a head coach that had been remotely near a situation like that. You might want to research even a little bit before pouring crap all over some highly respected head coach's name. "IF" the Jags could pull Day away from Ohio State and I highly doubt that. The Jacksonville Jaguars would be getting one hell of a respected and beloved head coach. I understand you made a mistake of a name of one person to another but "google" is your friend. So "NO" Ryan Day is not a "sleazy" head coach candidate.
They hired Urban Meyer but yeah I definitely got the name wrong there that's my bad considering it was Zach Smith. However if you don't think universities wouldn't they've kept coaches or relationships for worse over the yrs or players in college. I'm not talking just OSU here but every school 

My hope is that the Jacksonville Jaguars do not hire Urban Meyer and here are my concerns:

1.  Shad Khan would be hiring Meyer because he's a big name and it would be big splash news.

2.  Meyer has no NFL experience.  I want to see the Jaguars bring in someone who has been in the NFL for a few years and can deal with a very young and inexperienced roster of players.  There is a big difference between being able to bring in recruited players than having to draft the players you want.

3.  Most of Meyer's QB's have not had sustained NFL success, so I don't trust him to develop Trevor Lawrence or any other young QB that would be on the roster.  I did look it up, here are the QB's he has worked with in college:  Josh Harris, Bowling Green; Alex Smith, Utah; Chris Leak, Florida; Tim Tebow, Florida; Braxton Miller, Ohio State; and Cardale Jones, Ohio State.

4.  I can easily see him quitting coaching in the NFL due to health reasons after a 2-3 year run of consistent losing.
Lets be fair Alex Smith has had a pretty good career and the way SF handled that situation with him and CK was pretty bad. I agree on the QBs overall though. My thing on Tebow though there were a ton of QBs in his situation allowed in the NFL who had jobs or were starting yet it never seemed like he was given any fair shot other then when Elway pulled the plug on Fox. I defentiatelty think a position switch in the NFL should've happened but I got to admire his determination

On the other stuff yeah it'd be more of a name signing. He has no NFL experience and we've seen what the last big name HC in college in Chip Kelly did in the NFL. Also trouble always seems to follow Meyers ad his programs. Its a different ball game in the NFL and you can't cover up stuff easily. Which is why I think coach/player relationship he will struggle. Finally he hates losing and if it's consistent like you said he'll quit on the team like he did at UF and OSU already 

@MiaOBrienTV: Marrone says he called Shad Khan yesterday when news of another HC broke. Khan said it was "news to him."

They are scheduled to meet tomorrow.

#Jaguars

No surprises here

I actually appreciate the fact Marrone and staff kept this lousy team playing hard throughout the season.  

Tough to justify retaining him after 1-15, tho

very hesitant about Urbs  

I would think if they sign Meyer there will be no half measures. Whether success or failure, it will be spectacular either way.

DJackson10 said:
Lets be fair Alex Smith has had a pretty good career and the way SF handled that situation with him and CK was pretty bad. I agree on the QBs overall though. My thing on Tebow though there were a ton of QBs in his situation allowed in the NFL who had jobs or were starting yet it never seemed like he was given any fair shot other then when Elway pulled the plug on Fox. I defentiatelty think a position switch in the NFL should've happened but I got to admire his determination

On the other stuff yeah it'd be more of a name signing. He has no NFL experience and we've seen what the last big name HC in college in Chip Kelly did in the NFL. Also trouble always seems to follow Meyers ad his programs. Its a different ball game in the NFL and you can't cover up stuff easily. Which is why I think coach/player relationship he will struggle. Finally he hates losing and if it's consistent like you said he'll quit on the team like he did at UF and OSU already 
I think I was being fair to Alex Smith and that's why I said most and not all QBs.  I agree that Tebow didn't get a fair shot, but if he were a talented QB at the NFL level, he would have had another couple of fair shots to prove himself.

Doug had to go, but I am impressed that he never once threw his staff under the bus, JDR style. And had he replaced Todd Wash, I don't think they hold on to the #1 pick. Doug Marrone is the loser hero we didn't know we needed.

I think I was being fair to Alex Smith and that's why I said most and not all QBs.  I agree that Tebow didn't get a fair shot, but if he were a talented QB at the NFL level, he would have had another couple of fair shots to prove himself.
Teams wanted Tebow they just wanted him as a TE or H-Back but he was vehimitely against changing positions. It's why I said I admire the dudes determination. 

Doug had to go, but I am impressed that he never once threw his staff under the bus, JDR style. And had he replaced Todd Wash, I don't think they hold on to the #1 pick. Doug Marrone is the loser hero we didn't know we needed.
What do you think they will do with the #1 pick?  Trade back a few spots and draft a player they want, trade it for an already established QB?  I think they hold onto it and select Trevor Lawrence with it.  It almost makes too much sense to keep it.  They've never had the #1 pick before; they're using it as part of the reasoning why the Jaguars jobs are so attractive.  It would be the signature piece to a complete rebuild from ground zero.

What do you think they will do with the #1 pick?  Trade back a few spots and draft a player they want, trade it for an already established QB?  I think they hold onto it and select Trevor Lawrence with it.  It almost makes too much sense to keep it.  They've never had the #1 pick before; they're using it as part of the reasoning why the Jaguars jobs are so attractive.  It would be the signature piece to a complete rebuild from ground zero.
I was trying to say thay a mid-season Todd Wash replacement would have likely resulted in another win or two, thus taking them out of the #1 slot and out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

If the Jags pick is anything other than Trevor Lawrence at #1, then they deserve to be terrible for eternity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Jags pick is anything other than Trevor Lawrence at #1, then they deserve to be terrible for eternity. 
I honestly think that it's more the media spinning it to "oh could Justin Fields be the guy for Jags?" between the great playoff game and the talk of Urban Meyer. Yes, the Jags will do their due diligence on this matter, but I don't think there is truly any doubt within the organization that Lawrence will be the guy.

I was trying to say thay a mid-season Todd Wash replacement would have likely resulted in another win or two, thus taking them out of the #1 slot and out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

Over the years I'd heard the comment that if you don't get the franchise QB pick right, it sets your organization back 5 years.  This will certainly be the case this year with the #1 pick regardless of the position they pick.  Recently I've heard that Trevor Lawrence is so far ahead of other QB's coming out this year that it's not even close to the #2 QB.  I hope they get the pick right and that Lawrence is not Gabbert 2.0

In addition to a potential franchise QB, Jags have 4 other picks in top 65.

(S,DT,OL,TE, WR, CB among their many needs)

Was not expecting ETN at 25, but new coach has nothing invested in Robinson. Maybe see both on field at same time and flex ETN out.

With 33 coming up, I'm expecting S Mohring, DT Barmore or trade down.

Was not expecting ETN at 25, but new coach has nothing invested in Robinson. Maybe see both on field at same time and flex ETN out.

With 33 coming up, I'm expecting S Mohring, DT Barmore or trade down.
I am not overly surprised...Meyer loves speed and outside of Robinson the Jax backfield only has an aging Hyde so they needed to beef that unit up...maybe a little bit of a luxury pick but Jax has a lot of picks this year and with Etienne and Robinson they should be set at this position for awhile...also, once you get a young QB i think you want to put him in the best possible position to develop...with Etienne, Robinson, Chark, Shenault and Jones that is not a bad group of weapons at all.

Gonna be an interesting offseason. 

Does Baalke survive this? Was he the source of the leaks?

Offensive minded coach for sure but does Khan look for someone with NFL HC experience like McDaniels, Pedersen or does he go hot Coordinator route like Leftwich, Bienemey?

Wonder how many more snaps Cisco sees this week on defense?

@Demetrius82: #Jaguars HC Urban Meyer was asked about Andre Cisco playing more (again). He said “Cisco is playing a little bit more, I believe, I don’t have his numbers in front of me”

Cisco played 0 defensive snaps yesterday.

oh...and a little venting

Only the Jags could wait until 1230am Thursday morning to fire a coach that's been a ####show for weeks only to replace him with an OC whose offense has scored 6 total TD in last 7 games.

Could Urban have picked a more uminaginative offensive staff?

@APMarkLong: Jaguars are turning play-calling duties over to Brian Schottenheimer

@AdamSchefter: Bucs’ OC Byron Leftwich is scheduled to have his second HC interview with the Jaguars on Tuesday, per source.

Reports are that Byron doesn't want to work with Balke and wants to bring in Adrian Wilson from AZ as GM.

Now seeing reports of Saints wanting to interview Byron. Let's see if Khan can screw this up royally.

Users who are viewing this thread