What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Identity Thieves Are The Lowest Form Of Life (1 Viewer)

irish eyes

Footballguy
Found out last night my credit card info was stolen. Luckily a charge was denied at restaurant and my card company called me. I have always had a special hate for people like this but I've never experienced this until now. If it was up to me, these kinds of people would rot in prison with the worst of the worst.  Some people can really have their lives turned upside down if the wrong info is compromised. So to all of you horrible thieves out there, may you experience some karma and suffer horribly.  That is all.

I agree and the chances of them catching anyone is next to zero.  The stores write things off--the CC companies write things off and then pass the costs to law abiding consumers. 

My wife had it happen to her at Target. I mean someone was using our account on the East coast within hours of her being at the store.

Earlier this year, I discovered I was paying for 3-4 other Amazon prime memberships. 

They are getting smarter too. Synthetic fraud is growing and models are being built to predict the likelihood of a consumer doing this, but very difficult to catch.

Skimmers are a huge issue here. 

Ripping people's Ssn is old news. 

Never ever ever ever pay for anything with a debit card.  You are asking for a year of headache. 

Credit card. The credit card companies will reverse the charges. If your debit card is compromised and they drain your account, that money is gone. 
:goodposting:  I figure they charge 2-3% per transaction, it’s on the CC to deal with it.  I have never used a debit card for any purchase whatsoever and never will.

Credit card. The credit card companies will reverse the charges. If your debit card is compromised and they drain your account, that money is gone. 
I agree now. I have used my debit card all the time. I'm 99% sure they got info at a gas station because & by chance I used my cc. I dont normally use it and it was the last place before the fraud started.

I’ve been using my debit card quite a bit. I used to use a CC for almost everything that also gave cash back every so often. I got out of doing that except for large stuff because it’s a hassle to try to keep track of how much to pay back. 

Skimmers are a huge issue here. 

Ripping people's Ssn is old news. 

Never ever ever ever pay for anything with a debit card.  You are asking for a year of headache. 
Had to pay for gas once at a woodmans with a debit card. They didnt take credit cards at the time. I was far from home and running low. Filled up and immediately reported my debit card lost. 

The money is not gone forever.  The process for disputing fraudulent charges is the same for both debit and credit, however until the charges are reversed, the cash in your account is gone vs the random mystery charge on your card that you know will be gone shortly.

Really sucks when you have no cash left in your account and your mortgage is due while waiting for the reversal.  Some banks will issue conditional credit back to your account, but that is not a guaranteed thing.

I have had it happen to me twice -early 2000's and about 4 years 
I live in Vancouver and the early one had charges in the states and the other was in the Philippines . was never in either place . both were immediately flagged by the cc and I was out nothing  

I know have my cc and debit cards  set up for an automatic email for any transaction over 50$  

Found out last night my credit card info was stolen. Luckily a charge was denied at restaurant and my card company called me. I have always had a special hate for people like this but I've never experienced this until now. If it was up to me, these kinds of people would rot in prison with the worst of the worst.  Some people can really have their lives turned upside down if the wrong info is compromised. So to all of you horrible thieves out there, may you experience some karma and suffer horribly.  That is all.
Agree I had this happened to me in the first 2-3 yrs of having a Debit Card. Worst feeling as a young person. I had it happen to me again a few yrs ago. The first one I had charges while in college on a pre some prepaid phone thing as it was numerous same charges twice which triggered the suspicious activity. This also happened at 10:15AM and I was about to enter class at college.The 2nd time charges were in Mother Russia in Moscow. I bet ya one of Putin's thieves took it. But they flagged it immediately. 

I'll be honest here, and I'm sure I can't be alone...

If I ever found myself in possession of another person's social security #, I'd have no damn clue how to use it for my benefit.
Yeah I wouldn't know anything. If I had someone else CC then yeah I'd know what to use but I'm not the type that could hack into someones numbers and make a new CC right there. Also you gotta be careful in Restaurants. Had a waitress who took a piece of and rubbed the numbers off the CC of a friend of mine took the #s and made a new CC out of it. Within days the card had 100s of charges on it. They found it was her as a co worker caught her doing the same to another Patron. Turns out she was working with a group of people including a BF running a scheme where they rubbed the numbers off and used the cards for an account. The found the account belong to another guy who was buying drugs for a local gang but couldn't connect the account the supplier. It was a pretty big bust. 

I belong to Satander and they reversed all my charges on my Debit for me with their fraud insurance policy. I got literally everything back with in days. Maybe other banks don't do this or given how much was taken out of my account it was small enough they insured it.

Better hope no Feds are on the board lurking...  :D
Why would that matter? I didnt weasel out of paying for the gas. When you report a card lost they run through pending transactions with you. 

Eta: iirc they also make you sign an affidavit for fraudulent ones.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to Satander and they reversed all my charges on my Debit for me with their fraud insurance policy. I got literally everything back with in days. Maybe other banks don't do this or given how much was taken out of my account it was small enough they insured it.
Say what?  This is a made up thing someone said as a goof to humor a customer.  They gave you provisional credit and cleared the fraud, which is good. Thankfully they did clear the fraud for you and the provisional claim went final

Those of you who believe the above may find that that may not be the case (don't know if it's bank dependent). I started a thread about my bank fraud experience.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/774305-so-your-bank-account-has-been-compromised-whats-next/

Nutshell version:
Got all my $$ back, about $25k, e-transactions are typically resolved w/in 10 days, checks can take as long as 10 weeks
Citizens Bank
Don't know how it happened, they logged onto my account and initiated e-transactions, as well as check requests
I never use my debit card for purchases, only for ATM deposits/withdrawals, my checkbook wasn't stolen
A separate affidavit required for each claim (each fraudulent transaction)
They don't tell you what, if anything, they found out (I got the feeling their fraud investigation is mostly just confirming that your reporting of the fraud isn't fraud)
Local police said since the bank was covering it, I didn't need to do a police report
Not all banks do this, but, I now have an alert set up on my account for any transaction under $2. If I had detected the initial test transactions. I could have avoided a lot of stress.
I also initiated a fraud alert. If you do this with 1 of the big 3, they will share that alert with the other 2. It's in effect for 1 year. 

Terminalxylem said:
Yep. And freeze your credit to prevent ID thieves from opening new accounts
This. Someone skimming your card is child’s play. Wait until you actually have your identity stolen. It’s a ####### horror show.

GroveDiesel said:
NREC34 said:
What should you pay with?
Not exactly true. If your debit card is branded with Visa or MasterCard, then you are only liable for $50 dollars in losses (same as with a credit card) -- but only if your report the fraud within 48 hours. The money from your account may be "gone" temporarily, but you'll get it back. The problem is that people don't always check their account every 48 hours, so you may have no idea that your money is being drained away.

NREC34 said:
I’ve been using my debit card quite a bit. I used to use a CC for almost everything that also gave cash back every so often. I got out of doing that except for large stuff because it’s a hassle to try to keep track of how much to pay back. 
You pay all of it back.

3 times my CC number has been compromised.   They ended up catching 2 of the people who were waiters at the same place and were stealing CC numbers from customers.  Police discovered that hundreds of cards that were being stolen had one thing in common, we all ate at the same restaurant at one time or another.

GroveDiesel said:
It's only gone until they put it back. 

Not exactly true. If your debit card is branded with Visa or MasterCard, then you are only liable for $50 dollars in losses (same as with a credit card) -- but only if your report the fraud within 48 hours. The money from your account may be "gone" temporarily, but you'll get it back. The problem is that people don't always check their account every 48 hours, so you may have no idea that your money is being drained away.
I was called by Satanader or at the Time Soverign's security team that handles the fraud's and fishy transactions within 7 hrs of it happening. My Debit card for both Soverign and now Santander has Mastercard on it 

3 times my CC number has been compromised.   They ended up catching 2 of the people who were waiters at the same place and were stealing CC numbers from customers.  Police discovered that hundreds of cards that were being stolen had one thing in common, we all ate at the same restaurant at one time or another.
No one ever claimed these scumbags were smart 

parasaurolophus said:
Had to pay for gas once at a woodmans with a debit card. They didnt take credit cards at the time. I was far from home and running low. Filled up and immediately reported my debit card lost. 
This is shtick, right?

GroveDiesel said:
If your debit card is compromised and they drain your account, that money is gone. 
I inadvertently used an ATM that had a "skimmer" attached, and they withdrew the max amount for three straight days. My bank was exceptionally cool about it. When I visited the branch, they had me reimbursed within fifteen minutes.   

Why would it be schtick? Have you ever had your debit card info stolen? 
Cant remember if it was debit or credit but yes I’ve had fraudulent transactions made on one of my cards and it was easily corrected 

ive also made thousands of debit card transactions with little to no issue :shrug:

maybe you just keep your money in an old coffee can?

Cant remember if it was debit or credit but yes I’ve had fraudulent transactions made on one of my cards and it was easily corrected 

ive also made thousands of debit card transactions with little to no issue :shrug:

maybe you just keep your money in an old coffee can?
I almost never need my debit card. I pretty much only use it when I travel. Local airport has one of my bank branches right at the airport so I use atm free of charge and usually take out some cash just so I have it for tips, cabs, etc. 

Gas stations are notorious for having skimmers and I hated having to do a pin transaction at a gas station that for whatever reason didn't take credit cards, since my bank had less protection for such transactions (they recently changed and removed the "Does not apply to transactions made using your PIN. They are now covered, but you are responsible for $50 and have to report promptly). 

Why would I take the risk? It was a simple phone call and I was without something temporarily I would have never used anyway. 

Seems weird to equate that to keeping money in a coffee can. 

I almost never need my debit card. I pretty much only use it when I travel. Local airport has one of my bank branches right at the airport so I use atm free of charge and usually take out some cash just so I have it for tips, cabs, etc. 

Gas stations are notorious for having skimmers and I hated having to do a pin transaction at a gas station that for whatever reason didn't take credit cards, since my bank had less protection for such transactions (they recently changed and removed the "Does not apply to transactions made using your PIN. They are now covered, but you are responsible for $50 and have to report promptly). 

Why would I take the risk? It was a simple phone call and I was without something temporarily I would have never used anyway. 

Seems weird to equate that to keeping money in a coffee can. 
Have you ever written a check?  If so did you cancel your checking account after?

It's pretty easy, and now free, to freeze your credit with the 3 reporting agencies. You do have to set up passwords and keep them in a secure place. But it is the best protection method for identity theft according to Consumer Reports. I did it in less than a half hour (for all 3). When you want to get a new loan or credit card, you have to remove the freeze and then put it back on once you''re done.

It's pretty easy, and now free, to freeze your credit with the 3 reporting agencies. You do have to set up passwords and keep them in a secure place. But it is the best protection method for identity theft according to Consumer Reports. I did it in less than a half hour (for all 3). When you want to get a new loan or credit card, you have to remove the freeze and then put it back on once you''re done.
Mine have been frozen for years, after about the third "breach" of our information at various stores/US Government. Forgot to unfreeze it when buying a car once, so had to run to the bank and grab a certified check. But other than that, it has been seamless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just froze all of mine last night. I lost my drivers license the other day. Think it happened Tuesday. I think what happened was that I had it out because I gave it to someone who needed to make a copy then I just put in my front pocket. Then possibly it dropped out when I got my phone out later. So it could be anywhere. Advice online said to freeze your credit and make a police report which I still need to do. 

Just noticed it missing yesterday so it’s only been a couple of days. 

what's with the amazon prime??   Wells Fargo checking account-have $1500 in this out of town account.  It's mainly there so I can cash a check out of my main account at a different bank in a different city.   I never write checks on the Wells Fargo account, thus never check my statements or rarely do.   Discovered a charge of roughly $13 or $14 a month to Amazon prime membership that had went on for 11 months.  Wells Fargo said it was on my debit card issued by them.   I have NEVER used or had a debit card in my life & HAVE never ordered one.   Wells Fargo refused to refund my $150 bucks saying I waited too long to report it.  I closed the account.

what's with the amazon prime??   Wells Fargo checking account-have $1500 in this out of town account.  It's mainly there so I can cash a check out of my main account at a different bank in a different city.   I never write checks on the Wells Fargo account, thus never check my statements or rarely do.   Discovered a charge of roughly $13 or $14 a month to Amazon prime membership that had went on for 11 months.  Wells Fargo said it was on my debit card issued by them.   I have NEVER used or had a debit card in my life & HAVE never ordered one.   Wells Fargo refused to refund my $150 bucks saying I waited too long to report it.  I closed the account.
In the very least you need to file a police report and freeze your credit. Whoever did this still has access to your info.

Users who are viewing this thread