What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Sandler front runner for an Oscar? (1 Viewer)

To be fair, his movies haven't been funny for a bit, so I am not sure what people are expecting there.  ;)

Seriously though, I if these are the reasons and knocks for this movie, why did something like Joker get so many award nominations over something like Uncut Gems? (keep in mind I still haven't seen UG)
Joker made a boat load of money and the public loved it. Two very different movies. UG is just one long stress ride of chaos. Joker is (for better or worse) right in line with the Scorsese movies and 70s NY movies that are well loved by the age group running the Academy now. 

Thats my guess.

Exactly this. It's tough to appreciate a movie that is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. (The Lighthouse and High Life come to mind).

It's also very difficult to root for a protagonist that is just so damn unlikable.

We as the audience are invested in the successes and failures of the Sandler character whether we liked it or not. Every time it seems like he's going to climb out of this ditch and relieve some of the tension, he doubles down and digs even further. This is understandably very frustrating for a viewer. 
I’m amazed at how many RT audience people said it was really boring. I’ve never seen so many reviews saying they walked out of the theater before it was over.

Joker made a boat load of money and the public loved it. Two very different movies. UG is just one long stress ride of chaos. Joker is (for better or worse) right in line with the Scorsese movies and 70s NY movies that are well loved by the age group running the Academy now. 

Thats my guess.
I am just getting old and cynical.  I thought once upon a time would get more nods than Joker.  I would rather they reward more creativity, but what can you do.  It's weird to make a contest and awards ought of something subjective like this anyway.  

I am just getting old and cynical.  I thought once upon a time would get more nods than Joker.  I would rather they reward more creativity, but what can you do.  It's weird to make a contest and awards ought of something subjective like this anyway.  
It is silly and as we know, the Oscars often get it wrong and their mistakes won’t prevent the best movies from outliving the lesser ones.

Sandler with a great response on Twitter, and references “Mama” Kathy Bates getting nominated. Bates’ reply is priceless!

Twitter

Adam Sandler

@AdamSandler

Bad news: Sandman gets no love from the Academy. Good news: Sandman can stop wearing suits. Congrats to all my friends who got nominated, especially Mama.

Kathy Bates

@MsKathyBates

I love you my Bobby Boucher!!! You was robbed!! But Mama loves you!!! I learned a new urban slang word for you! You da GOAT!! Not the one we eat at home, Son.

I am 1 hour in, and dont get the "too intense" comments.  I was surprised that I was beginning to check my phone because I was disinterested and a bit bored.  

I am 1 hour in, and dont get the "too intense" comments.  I was surprised that I was beginning to check my phone because I was disinterested and a bit bored.  
Check back once you’re finished. It’s possible you might feel differently. And it’s not that it’s too intense. Really stressful to watch is probably more accurate. 

Check back once you’re finished. It’s possible you might feel differently. And it’s not that it’s too intense. Really stressful to watch is probably more accurate. 
Isn't it basically the same thing and requires investment and interest in the characters? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a very stressful movie.  If I would have heard going in how stressful it was, maybe I wouldn't have thought it was so tense.  :shrug:

I watched it a second time.  It still stressed me out.  Still liked it a lot though.  

Very unrelatable movie for many folks. It was highly engaging though for those that like to bet on Sports and gamble. If you don't know much about jewelry and have never been around the glam side of celebrity fame then it's harder to enjoy the scenes where Garnett shows up in the jewelry store as an example.  

The downside of the movie is that once he makes the decision to keep the bad guys in a makeshift prison it was easy to figure out what was about to happen so the movie for many was a total letdown..."Why did I invest 2 hours just to watch him"...A lot of folks that saw it didn't like it, definitely not a hit with most Seniors but even young folks in the 18-25 range seemed to not enjoy it either. Very targeted audience I think. 

Very unrelatable movie for many folks. It was highly engaging though for those that like to bet on Sports and gamble. If you don't know much about jewelry and have never been around the glam side of celebrity fame then it's harder to enjoy the scenes where Garnett shows up in the jewelry store as an example.  

The downside of the movie is that once he makes the decision to keep the bad guys in a makeshift prison it was easy to figure out what was about to happen so the movie for many was a total letdown..."Why did I invest 2 hours just to watch him"...A lot of folks that saw it didn't like it, definitely not a hit with most Seniors but even young folks in the 18-25 range seemed to not enjoy it either. Very targeted audience I think. 

Color me dumb because I was quite surprised by the ending.

I pretty much despised all the characters. 

Edit:  Especially Kevin Garnett. 
Also not the same thing.  I can despise characters and still be invested in their stories- see: Plainview, Daniel.  

Probably finish it up tonight- I think I dozed off with about 40mins left.  Seems like its polarizing movie though, and I guess I am not sure what I was expecting with all the "intense" and "stressful" comments that seem to be in the majority of reviews.  

Also not the same thing.  I can despise characters and still be invested in their stories- see: Plainview, Daniel.  

Probably finish it up tonight- I think I dozed off with about 40mins left.  Seems like its polarizing movie though, and I guess I am not sure what I was expecting with all the "intense" and "stressful" comments that seem to be in the majority of reviews.  
Well, watching it in two sittings will definitely blunt the stressful nature of the story as it hurtles towards its conclusion. Also, it appears that you may think that I liked the movie. I didn’t. And when asked about it, I don’t recommend it. 

Well, watching it in two sittings will definitely blunt the stressful nature of the story as it hurtles towards its conclusion. Also, it appears that you may think that I liked the movie. I didn’t. And when asked about it, I don’t recommend it. 
Fair point, but did people think it was a "stressful" watch from start to finish, or just ramped up at the end?  Like I said, I didn't feel that at all for the first hour, but point taken on the fact that it would take away from it as I am pausing, falling asleep, and checking my phone - most of which I try not to do during movies.  

Nah, I get that it's 50/50 on whether people like it or not, but like I said, I was just surprised at how slow I thought it was based on these comments.  I guess that set up the expectation a little that I would be white knuckling it for most of the movie.   

I thought it was just OK. Like any movie, you have to suspend belief, but it was way over the top with loud conversations, always yelling over the the top of someone else. 

Color me dumb because I was quite surprised by the ending.
Whenever they announce "Oscar Nominee" potential on the opening of a film for an actor/comedian like Sandler, I usually figure they aren't making it out of the movie in one piece. He wasn't going to just tell snarky jokes with a slightly tougher overtone and get a nomination. As it turned out there were no nominations and while I personally liked the movie and felt Sandler was a little better than one might expect, the script and also the Director's choices on a few things left me from saying better things about the film. People were leaving in the theater we saw it in, and a lot of the under 25 crowd didn't like this very much either. 

I'm not as good as some at guessing the endings but I felt the triggerman was a loose cannon and would eventually break whatever code of honor there was.  

So here's my question.... 

there's the 2 guys left.  The first door needs to close before you the buzzer works to get out of the main door.    How did they get out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, but did people think it was a "stressful" watch from start to finish, or just ramped up at the end?  Like I said, I didn't feel that at all for the first hour, but point taken on the fact that it would take away from it as I am pausing, falling asleep, and checking my phone - most of which I try not to do during movies.  

Nah, I get that it's 50/50 on whether people like it or not, but like I said, I was just surprised at how slow I thought it was based on these comments.  I guess that set up the expectation a little that I would be white knuckling it for most of the movie.   
I thought it was super intense from the start, edge of the seat the whole way. As did everyone I saw it with. Now we did see it at the theater so the sound and size certainly adds to that. I still think the previous Safdie Bros movie Good Time is better though. 

I thought it was super intense from the start, edge of the seat the whole way. As did everyone I saw it with. Now we did see it at the theater so the sound and size certainly adds to that. I still think the previous Safdie Bros movie Good Time is better though. 
Interesting.    As I said, I was not on board with this one.  I finally finished it tonight, and get where people are coming from as it relates to the final 30mins or so with the game on the line, but for the whole movie - nah.   I did like the last 30mins a bit more, but it wasn't enough to save the movie for me.   And while Sandler was good with the nervious, frantic energy side, I thought it was pretty bad when he had to break down after getting beaten up in the fountain.  

there's the 2 guys left.  The first door needs to close before you the buzzer works to get out of the main door.    How did they get out?
Fair question.  I was wondering the same after the 2nd viewing.

Howard makes it clear the glass is bullet proof and that you would only hurt yourself if you tried shooting it out.  I'm seeing a sequel opportunity.  A two hour movie of those guys stuck in the store.  Maybe they setup a mini fashion show with the jewelry and accessories and end up falling in love.  Eventually rescued by a crack mob team played by female comedians.  I would like it to be a happy ending type film.

Wasn’t there a back exit?  I seems to remember someone leaving through a back exit.  And how does the last person leave every night when they close?

Wasn’t there a back exit?  I seems to remember someone leaving through a back exit.  And how does the last person leave every night when they close?
Not that I recall

I thought they specifically showed a keyfob

But I don't really remember and it's not that big of a deal. I just randomly thought of it the day after lol

Users who are viewing this thread