What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mitt Romney votes to convict and remove Donald Trump (2 Viewers)

Logically, sure. Emotionally? I think many conservatives are going to absolutely hate him. Because he puts them to shame. He's calling out their BS.

Last night was the absolute worst of our politics. Romney's speech was the best. This is what we've been waiting to here, lots of us. This is a "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?" moment.
Living next door in Idaho, conservatives here and in Utah have really turned on him since Trump was elected.

Yeah, I have zero clue why Mitt did it - I have my guesses but for the most part it doesn't matter - he took a stand knowing he's going to catch hell for it and get the wrath of Trump and did it anyway.  There really is little upside for him - and for that alone it takes guts.
Maybe because he actually believes what he said and took a principled stance?  I'm not implying that people who voted against the removal aren't doing the same, I'm sure some are.  But the guts is doing that when it's against the grain and that's where Mitt should get a ton of credit.  

Santorum just made no sense - (paraphrasing) - "some Republicans may agree with Mitt for partisan reasons...."   :confused:    is this admission that the GOP is now just Team Trump or was it just a misstatement?

Living next door in Idaho, conservatives here and in Utah have really turned on him since Trump was elected.
Not a surprise. I'm sure the majority of conservatives in Utah (which means, basically, the majority) will not look fondly on this decision. But hopefully some will respect his integrity.

"Demanding" seems a bit strong. The quote:

Mitt Romney is forever bitter that he will never be POTUS. He was too weak to beat the Democrats then so he’s joining them now. He’s now officially a member of the resistance & should be expelled from the

@GOP

He’s since tweeted or retweeted tweets containing the hashtag #ExpelMitt about 4-5 times in the past 30 minutes. I think he’s all in on it now.

Maybe because he actually believes what he said and took a principled stance?  I'm not implying that people who voted against the removal aren't doing the same, I'm sure some are.  But the guts is doing that when it's against the grain and that's where Mitt should get a ton of credit.  
That's what I said in the rest of my post - I'm just acknowledging that none of us know.  We are just guessing.  We do know that it's against the grain and he gets much credit from me for that.

Santorum just made no sense - (paraphrasing) - "some Republicans may agree with Mitt for partisan reasons...."   :confused:    is this admission that the GOP is now just Team Trump or was it just a misstatement?
Rick Santorum, during his entire time in the Senate, never once demonstrated a non-partisan moment, never once voted against the conservative base of his party. So naturally this decision must really piss him off.

Rick Santorum, during his entire time in the Senate, never once demonstrated a non-partisan moment, never once voted against the conservative base of his party. So naturally this decision must really piss him off.
I think it does but his comment makes no sense.  I think he just misspoke though so I won't belabor the point.

Mitt Romney is 100% running for president in 2024. Hear me now, believe me later.
You may very well be right but I fail to see how this helps him accomplish that.  If he really was a total snake in the grass and wanted to win he would align himself closer to Trump, not try and get him kicked out of office.

Bitter old man that has always been jealous that Trump did what he couldn’t.  If he had courage he would have stood up for himself in 2012. 
Romney lost with 47% of the vote to a very tough opponent...... Barack Obama. President Trump lost the popular vote to an awful candidate Hillary Clinton with 46% of the vote . I do not believe Romney thinks he ever could nor desires to be President.

Sen Romney became very emotional and takes a considerable pause after this statement during his speech. " I am profoundly religious. My faith is at the heart of who I am"

I believe this is what Senator Romney is about

Last edited by a moderator:
So if any Dems vote to not convict are they heroes because they are voting how they feel or are people going to make excuses why they did what they did?

I mean if Mitt is going down in history as a hero, then why should these brave Dems as well? 
Nope. One of the three Democrats in Congress who voted against impeachment even switched parties and didn’t get a thread. 

His tweet is exactly what’s wrong with politics today.  While I know he just a citizen and not part of the political machine his attitude unfortunately is. The fact that someone doesn’t tow the party line 100% has them being called to be expelled from the party is extremely disheartening.  
I thought this was a free country, and as such, one couldn't be expelled from a political party.
Romney cannot be expelled from the Republican Party. However, Mitch McConnell could strip him of all assignments/duties in the Senate, the RNC could vote to not fund his re-election campaign, and the local party chapter in Utah could decide to support a different Republican candidate for Senator in 2024.

Romney cannot be expelled from the Republican Party. However, Mitch McConnell could strip him of all assignments/duties in the Senate, the RNC could vote to not fund his re-election campaign, and the local party chapter in Utah could decide to support a different Republican candidate for Senator in 2024.
Fair enough, however, that does not sound like what Junior wants to have happen to Romney. It sounds like they take a few guys, empty his office, breaks some of his nicer things, and actually kick him in the rear end as they remove him from the party.

Don Jr  and his dad were silent about Steve King's racism, but Romney needs to be expelled.

So if any Dems vote to not convict are they heroes because they are voting how they feel or are people going to make excuses why they did what they did?

I mean if Mitt is going down in history as a hero, then why should these brave Dems as well? 
No, because we're not all moral relativists.

Republicans are really gonna hate it because it shines a big ol mirror in the face of their behavior.

Even the ones that are trying to hedge their bets with all the "innapropriate" talk at the end of the day are saying its ok and they aren;t going to do a thing about it. 

Romney just made that position impossible to cling to. "If it was innapropriate why aren't you doing anything about it?"

Right. As we learned during the Larry "Wide Stance" Craig saga, it doesn't matter how much your colleagues hate you, unless there are 67 votes to expel you from the Senate, there's really not much they can do to you for the rest of your term. I guess the committee assignments is all they really have.

the twitter feed of his announcement and the replies is interesting.  roughly 60/40 in support.

How Mitt can buddy up to people who said he killed somebody’s wife because he took away her health care, wants to put black people in chains again and was the prep school bully is beyond me. 
He hasn’t buddied up to any of those people. He’s reliably voted with the GOP on substantive issues and judicial confirmation.  If anything, he’s been more conservative than he was when he ran in 2012. 

I wish them good luck with that. 

Punish a Senator for doing his best to fulfill his constitutional duty. Great look. 

Just further makes them look like toadys and enablers for the President. Make him a Martyr. Your duty isn't to America or the consitution. It's to Donald Trump and the Republican party only. 

He hasn’t buddied up to any of those people. He’s reliably voted with the GOP on substantive issues and judicial confirmation.  If anything, he’s been more conservative than he was when he ran in 2012. 
It's almost as if you can hold a conservative worldview while simultaneously thinking that the president should be held accountable for abusing his office.  Somebody needs to inform the rest of the Republicans of this.

If Mitt’s vote was important to the outcome this would be huge.  It’s not though.  Some Democrats voted not to impeach.  Their votes obviously weren’t relevant either.  

I don’t see the big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mitt’s vote was important to the outcome this would be huge.  It’s not though.  Some Democrats voted not to impeach.  Their votes obviously weren’t relevant either.  

This seems like a giant overreaction.  It really doesn’t matter much.
For optics, it still is.  It makes this vote something other than a pure partisan vote to remove.

History will shine fondly on Mitt for his courage today.
After this and the Russia debacle,  I would imagine if Trump loses the next election or Romney conscientiously opposes him for another four years (which is unlikely) Romney's going to be seen as a "What If...?" President.

No hate for Mitt from me.  He's his own man and he has to do what he feels is right.  It's up to his constituents on how to view this.

:shrug:

I don’t think so.  Neither vote is really bipartisan just because one or two members of the opposite party don’t align.
It isn't really, but the Administration and GOP have been screaming that having any defectors at the House level meant that the vote against impeachment was bipartisan while the vote for impeachment was purely partisan.  That's a much tougher case to make now and still treat the removal vote as partisan.

Apparently that's unlikely:

The idea — pushed by Trump Jr. — that Romney should be expelled from the GOP is getting pretty broadly panned by Senate Republicans. I have yet to find a GOPer who supports it. Some are outright laughing at the idea.
That said, I'm not totally ruling out him pulling an Amash and going indy.

The anti-Romney takes are bizarre, IMO.

Rory Cooper has this right: "The easy path for Romney was acquittal. The politically smart path was acquittal. Many people probably told him so. There is no upside for him here other than doing what he thinks is right. And God, that's the character we want in leaders."

So does David Frum: "If you see all but one doing wrong ... and one alone standing for right ... and seeing all that, it's your impulse to snark at the one, then maybe you should check that impulse. Or even search your own conscience: when did *I* last break with *my* many to do right on *my* own?"

And Justin Amash: "Thank you, @SenatorRomney, for upholding your oath to support and defend the Constitution. You will never regret putting your faith in God and doing right according to the law and your conscience."

And Chris Murphy: “That's the hardest thing to do in the world to stand up to your party and to your friends...to just decide to do what's right. I think we all wonder whether we would make the same decision...”
It really isn't.  Anyone and everyone that has had even the slightest criticism of Trump is crucified.

Users who are viewing this thread