What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mo Brooks goes on the record: Trump asked me to rescind the election (1 Viewer)

Terpman22

Footballguy
Maybe this is in another thread probably, might not mean its own thread. But if more follow him, maybe this deserves its own thread. Seems significant and retaliatory for Trump rescinding his endorsement? 

"Election Fraud must be captured and stopped, or we won’t have a Country anymore," Trump said in his statement. "Very sad but, since he decided to go in another direction, so have I, and I am hereby withdrawing my Endorsement of Mo Brooks for the Senate. I don’t think the great people of Alabama will disagree with me." 
https://mobrooks.com/statement-by-mo-brooks/

It’s disappointing that, just like in 2017, President Trump lets Mitch McConnell manipulate him again. Every single negative TV ad against our campaign has come from McConnell and his allies. I wish President Trump wouldn’t fall for McConnell’s ploys, but, once again, he has.

I have not changed. I am the only proven America First candidate in this Senate race. I am the only candidate who fought voter fraud and election theft when it counted, between November 3 and January 6.

I repeat what has prompted President Trump’s ire. The only legal way America can prevent 2020’s election debacle is for patriotic Americans to focus on and win the 2022 and 2024 elections so that we have the power to enact laws that give us honest and accurate elections.

President Trump asked me to rescind the 2020 elections, immediately remove Joe Biden from the White House, immediately put President Trump back in the White House, and hold a new special election for the presidency. As a lawyer, I’ve repeatedly advised President Trump that January 6 was the final election contest verdict and neither the U.S. Constitution nor the U.S. Code permit what President Trump asks. Period.

I’ve told President Trump the truth knowing full well that it might cause President Trump to rescind his endorsement. But I took a sworn oath to defend and protect the U.S. Constitution. I honor my oath. That is the way I am. I break my sworn oath for no man.

I’m still the most conservative candidate in the race. Katie Britt’s campaign is supported and funded by McConnell allies, and she’s still a high taxing, open borders, cheap foreign labor, Chamber of Commerce lobbyist.

There’s only one conservative option in this race, and I am confident that the people of Alabama will see that on Election Day.

As an Alabamian I'm just thankful it appears Mo Brooks won't be representing us in the Senate.  I'd much prefer Britt or Durant.  He tried to ride Trump's coattails here, he has no substance and even as popular as Trump is here, he's running 3rd in essentially a three person race.

Lindy Blanchard was also in that race but ran for Governor to try and get Trump's endorsement there since Brooks had it in the Senate.  Right now the polling there shows Ivey at 60%+, Tim James at 13% and Blanchard around 10%.  While Trump is popular here, it doesn't appear endorsements do a lot.  If he started attacking and getting more active, maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not like Don tried to hide his contempt for our process and hatred for the transfer of power.

What nickname will Mo get? 

Slo-Mo

Dim-Mo

Woke-Mo

Not like Don tried to hide his contempt for our process and hatred for the transfer of power.

What nickname will Mo get? 

Slo-Mo

Dim-Mo

Woke-Mo
Once Mo is left at the side of the road, I don't think he's relevant enough to earn a nickname.  He should have kept his House seat which would have been safe.

Election hasn't happened yet, has it?
No, but the campaigning and debates already have.  I looked real quick and that's already kicked off up there.  I guess he could give up on the Senate and try and win that seat back.  But now after losing Trump's endorsement, I'm not sure going back there with opposition now is something he would do.  I think his best scenario is to play this out, even if he has to exit the race, and then try to make a comeback.

As an Alabamian I'm just thankful it appears Mo Brooks won't be representing us in the Senate.  I'd much prefer Britt or Durant.  He tried to ride Trump's coattails here, he has no substance and even as popular as Trump is here, he's running 3rd in essentially a three person race.

Lindy Blanchard was also in that race but ran for Governor to try and get Trump's endorsement there since Brooks had it in the Senate.  Right now the polling there shows Ivey at 60%+, Tim James at 13% and Blanchard around 10%.  While Trump is popular here, it doesn't appear endorsements do a lot.  If he started attacking and getting more active, maybe.
I was going to vote for Durant in the primary, but had no idea he was actually leading this.  

I think mo is the unhinged one here
I've always thought he was kind of goofy and tried to play to the hardest right wind he could catch at the moment.  I didn't dislike him as much as I did Roy Moore (pre revelations about the more despicable stuff) but he wasn't too far behind.  There's a lot of tape on Mo Brooks that plays here on commercials where early on he was pretty anti-Trump back in 2016.

You think Woke- Mo is making this up?
Well, when Mo refers to McConnell and his allies he's mostly referring to Katie Britt.  Katie Britt worked for Sen. Shelby and he's backed her and helped fundraise for her.  Rather than attacking Shelby which would backfire on him in the state, he's trying to use McConnell as the bad guy here.  I'm not really up on who is behind Durant, but I don't think that accusation was meant for him, but maybe he's grasping at straws.  I also believe that Mo Brooks told President Trump whatever he felt that Trump wanted to hear along the way.  I wouldn't put a whole lot of trust in anything he says.  It could be true, but if it is it's because it's a politically convenient thing, not because the truth holds any real value in his eyes. 

Again, all this is just personal opinion having watched him in state politics for years now.

I’m not sure Trump is actually as popular as some polls and some folks say he is. The candidates he backs have consistently performed worse than candidates he doesn’t back. Someone who is legitimately popular should have more pull than he has. 

Hopefully all of these power hungry empty politicians who have warped our politics trying to ride Trump’s coattails get the message that this isn’t the way. Why so many of them continue to debase themselves only to be humiliated when he eventually turns on them is beyond me.

It’s weird, listening to some CNN/MSNBC tonight and they aren’t mentioning this story even as a footnote. It’s strange as Brooks is a pretty key player who is throwing Trump under the bus.

I’m not sure Trump is actually as popular as some polls and some folks say he is. The candidates he backs have consistently performed worse than candidates he doesn’t back. Someone who is legitimately popular should have more pull than he has. 

Hopefully all of these power hungry empty politicians who have warped our politics trying to ride Trump’s coattails get the message that this isn’t the way. Why so many of them continue to debase themselves only to be humiliated when he eventually turns on them is beyond me.
Whats interesting here in SC, Trump has pinned Katie Arrington against Nancy Mace --and now Nikki Haley is backing Mace.   Nice to see Haley break away a little -- 

100% correct but if you were a politician in many red states you'd be in trouble for this comment. 
It's easier to be disagreeable in red states than blue.   If you afraid to say what you think in today's climate.   You won't do it when it gets bad.

At this point "Trump had the election stolen from him!" is a purity test. There may be some small percentage of people that actually believe it, but for the politicians and I believe for most of the base it's really more like a rallying cry than anything else.

Except for Donald Trump. He will never allow himself to admit he lost. Just part of his character make-up. So if you want Trump's endorsement, you have to agree with the election was stolen. That's the bargain. Loyalty to Donald Trump is everything, and it's a one-way street. I mean this is Mo Brooks we're talking about.

And, I also agree that none of this is particularly "breaking news", but Mo Brooks literally spoke on the podium on 1/6. He was all in. So I guess it's noteworthy from that perspective.

In PA we have Dr. Oz and David McCormick as front-runners running for the GOP senate nomination in PA and Dave White and Bill McSwain for Governor that have been running ads since January.  The commercials for all profess their support of Trump so if he isn't that popular they are sure screwing up.

All of my family and friends that voted Trump in 2020 will do so again if he runs in 2024.   The endless whining about rigged elections despite having no proof, his attempts to remain in power by dubious means, and his role in the events on January 6th do not matter.   DJT is like a god to them.

It's easier to be disagreeable in red states than blue.   If you afraid to say what you think in today's climate.   You won't do it when it gets bad.
I don't believe that's true for the respective primaries.  I think in most Red states you have to pay homage to Donald Trump.  There are exceptions, but if you believe that Trump caused the insurrection and you voice this, then you may as well pack up.

The blue states are a little all over the place.  

AAABatteries said:
Yep, one side is yawning because it’s old news and the other side is yawning because they don’t care.
From my perspective I have to disagree with both of these statements in your sentence.

It is not old news to the left. There just hasn't been a lot of new info to report as most of the individuals being investigated by the committee are in full-on obstruct and delay mode. Every significant individual is attempting to block disclosure of documents, phone records and personal testimony through the courts. 

Also, the right actually does care. Not about what happened but about being caught supporting the actions of DJT and all those involved. They know full well that a lot of Republicans are going to be exposed for their unconstitutional actions and it will be very damaging to the party as a whole. Hence the deflections being thrown about like saying too much time has passed and nobody really cares. That's a bunch of BS. People do care. A lot of people. On both sides.

From my perspective I have to disagree with both of these statements in your sentence.

It is not old news to the left. There just hasn't been a lot of new info to report as most of the individuals being investigated by the committee are in full-on obstruct and delay mode. Every significant individual is attempting to block disclosure of documents, phone records and personal testimony through the courts. 

Also, the right actually does care. Not about what happened but about being caught supporting the actions of DJT and all those involved. They know full well that a lot of Republicans are going to be exposed for their unconstitutional actions and it will be very damaging to the party as a whole. Hence the deflections being thrown about like saying too much time has passed and nobody really cares. That's a bunch of BS. People do care. A lot of people. On both sides.
Agree here 100%. Maybe the voters on the right don't care bc its easier to just shrug any negative news as not true/fake.  The voters on the left care b/c as mentioned, I believe this looks like a crack in the surface of solidarity or whatever. The voters in the middle/undecided folk etc will care most about this (as a whole/%). Isn't moving the needle for much on the middle of each side of the spectrum, those closer to whatever the middle is now, a bit more in my view. 

I mean, it's pretty obvious why Trump rescinded the endorsement, and it has nothing to do with anything Brooks said about the election. It's because he was losing badly.

I'm also not totally clear what exactly it was he asked Brooks to do. Declare a new election? Why would he think that one representative, who's part of the congressional minority, could do that? It would be like me getting mad at you because I asked to borrow your time machine and you said, "Those don't exist and are physically impossible."

I mean, it's pretty obvious why Trump rescinded the endorsement, and it has nothing to do with anything Brooks said about the election. It's because he was losing badly.

I'm also not totally clear what exactly it was he asked Brooks to do. Declare a new election? Why would he think that one representative, who's part of the congressional minority, could do that? It would be like me getting mad at you because I asked to borrow your time machine and you said, "Those don't exist and are physically impossible."
I have a guess!

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. 

Brooks was going to lose.  Trump had no desire to back a loser in Alabama again after he tried to salvage Roy Moore, who would have lost by a wider margin had Trump not tried to help him.  Trump's endorsement probably does help some in Alabama, which shows how inept Mo Brooks really has been to be behind so badly.  I'm sure Brooks is mad right now, but I am not sure he will go full on against Trump to the extent of testifying to the Jan 6 committee or the like because as damaged as he is now, that's throwing your career over the cliff territory in Alabama.  Brooks has no friends in the establishment either, he is quickly becoming on an island by himself.

The bolded is also assuming, in some sort of vacuum, that Brooks was the only person Trump asked this of. What if he did this individually to every single rep?
We already know he asked this of Pence. The reps he also asked this of are trying to block any evidence of it from seeing the light of day. I'd start with the list of congressmen filing claims in court attempting to keep the investigation committee from seeing documents, phone records and/or avoid testimony.

If he thought Mel Brooks could overturn the election…he was asking.
Governor Lepetomane actually has a lot in common with Trump.  

“Hand these out to the boys in lieu of pay.”   Of course, Lepetomane was speaking of paddle balls while Trump was talking about pardons. 

Different animal, more establishment.  Mo Brooks is on the right inside Alabama.  People perceive Sessions as hard right nationally, he works a lot more in the establishment in the state.  I've actually warmed up to Sessions over the years.
Me too.  Once he recused himself and showed a bit of dignity.  

Users who are viewing this thread