What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Correct me if I'm wrong (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Didn't Trump say early on not to be depended on China?   With China having over 90% control over such drugs as  Ibuprofen , Acetaminophen, and many other drugs, because we decided it was best for them to produce these drugs cheaper than producing in the US.   How stupid was it to be held hostage to this?  Having China produce these drugs at a cheaper price is good, but we need a way to change that in the event of a national emergency.  Not to give them leverage in an emergency.  This is why I'm saying he's the best President we've had since Lincoln.  As a nation we have to be self sufficient in an emergency, even if we outsource things things to other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Trump say early on not to be depended on China?   With China having over 90% control over such drugs as  Ibuprofen , Acetaminophen, and many other drugs, because we decided it was best for them to produce these drugs cheaper than producing in the US.   How stupid was it to be held hostage to this?  Having China produce these drugs at a cheaper price is good, but we need a way to change that in the event of a national emergency.  Not to give them leverage in an emergency.
I hate to break this to you - but the American consumer loves - L.U.V.S. - cheap goods. And available goods.

I hate to break this to you - but the American consumer loves - L.U.V.S. - cheap goods. And available goods.
Didn't I say the same thing, sort of, but that we have to be self sufficient in an emergency?  Didn't Trump say we shouldn't be dependent on China early in his campaign for the presidency?  Being held hostage on drugs and supplies is exactly what he was preaching against. 

I agree..but when there are goods to be had.  We do need to be way more self reliant with some of the medicines.  I would pay more for medicine but keep my booze cheap.

Didn't I say the same thing, sort of, but that we have to be self sufficient in an emergency?  Didn't Trump say we shouldn't be dependent on China?
Yes, but it completely ignores the reality of what America wants. We are not going to live in permanent "emergency" status.

And - brace yourself - China was a communist dictatorship which created and defined the word Maoist. So for 50 years we put tons of effort into turning them capitalist. And lo and behold we did, even as they clung to their Communist dictatorship the reality is their factories opened up, which we have always considered good. We asked for this, even fought for it.

Totally agree.  If we want to let China make cheap plastic toys, ok.  For things we ingest, is trusting the country that had poisoned baby formula really a good idea?  We don’t let foreign airlines fly domestic routes, we could certainly apply similar logic to other things that are in the interest of public health (and therefore national security in times of emergency).

If Tylenol costs twice as much I think American consumers could survive.

None of that means squat if you don't have plan B.  I bet now we develop a plan B.
It's far too late to develop a plan B in the middle of a problem. Planning for this should have happened in probably 2015, and not cut out of the budget by an inept conman only concerned for his reelection.

It's far too late to develop a plan B in the middle of a problem. Planning for this should have happened in probably 2015, and not cut out of the budget by an inept conman only concerned for his reelection.
The Dems wouldn't have a plan A-.  At least Trump warned of this in his campaign.

He did no such thing. He lied then, he lied today, he's going to lie tomorrow, and as much as I distrust democrats, they're light years ahead of anything Trump does.
blah blah blah.  There is no arguing with people like you.  He said in his campaign that the US needs to not be dependent on China.  

Didn't Trump say early on not to be depended on China?   With China having over 90% control over such drugs as  Ibuprofen , Acetaminophen, and many other drugs, because we decided it was best for them to produce these drugs cheaper than producing in the US.   How stupid was it to be held hostage to this?  Having China produce these drugs at a cheaper price is good, but we need a way to change that in the event of a national emergency.  Not to give them leverage in an emergency.  This is why I'm saying he's the best President we've had since Lincoln.  As a nation we have to be self sufficient in an emergency, even if we outsource things things to other countries.
I was with you until the bolded.  Now this has me so flummoxed that I can’t even get to your original point.   

blah blah blah.  There is no arguing with people like you.  He said in his campaign that the US needs to not be dependent on China.  
He started and lost a trade war with them, never delivered on his promise to get Mexico to pay for his supposed wall, gutted healthcare with no viable alternative, kept immigrant children in cages away from their families, abandoned the Kurds to their fate against Turkey, oh, and how could I forget him getting caught seeking help from the Ukraine, getting himself impeached in the process?

You're right, there is no arguing with people like me. You cannot argue against the truth.

Kal El said:
He started and lost a trade war with them, never delivered on his promise to get Mexico to pay for his supposed wall, gutted healthcare with no viable alternative, kept immigrant children in cages away from their families, abandoned the Kurds to their fate against Turkey, oh, and how could I forget him getting caught seeking help from the Ukraine, getting himself impeached in the process?

You're right, there is no arguing with people like me. You cannot argue against the truth.
but he did say we can't depend on China and must be self sufficent.  That burns through all your BS.

JohnnyU said:
I was thinking more inside the US to respond to an emergency.
I mean. If you want to claim democrats wouldn't have a plan...when there literally was a trade partnership centered around china...and the current administration did in fact rid the government of an agency to respond during am emergency...well, its a pretty bad take about democrats.

I understand that, but why do we think - aside from our insane unilateral trade war last year - that China would cut off a massive consumer market in one sector?
....because they hate us?  ....they are already trying to say we started the virus in their country.  You cannot trust communist to say anything trustworthy.

Since 2017, everything Trump has done regarding China has been aimed towards an ultimate goal of expanding trade with them.

The trade war isn't about making our own medicine. It's about getting China to buy more of our stuff. Trump still wants us to get our medicine from China.

but he did say we can't depend on China and must be self sufficent.  That burns through all your BS.
He can say whatever he wants, his record of consistent failure speaks volumes. He also has done absolutely nothing to actually lessen our dependency on China, but don't let the truth get in the way, right?

Widbil83 said:
President Trump was saying this way before it was cool. The big bad main stream media just wrote it off as racism. 
It’s not cool now. 

We are never not going to rely on international trade and free flow of goods from China and other countries. Never. Silly to think otherwise. Trump’s rhetoric before the election was xenophobic nonsense, still is. 

JohnnyU said:
“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.“ - Lincoln

“I don’t take responsibility at all.” -Trump

JohnnyU said:
No we haven't adjusted like Trump said we should.  I'm hoping that changes over the next 4 years.
Follow-up question.  Wasn't this an argument for the tax cuts, help make it more financially feasible for some of these companies to come back to the US?   I've read more about companies buying back stock than shifting productions.

I don't disagree with trump wanting to make the US more self sufficient.  I support that.  My concern is not trusting some of these big corps.  More tax cuts, more tariffs in the next 4 years?  Just seems like more stock buy backs and building the markets, and we're still where we're at now.  Relying on China to make it.  And wtf wants to work in those factories?  Maybe it was a good job for my grandpa at one time, but it's not for my kids.

It’s not cool now. 

We are never not going to rely on international trade and free flow of goods from China and other countries. Never. Silly to think otherwise. Trump’s rhetoric before the election was xenophobic nonsense, still is. 
Complete nonsense here as usual. OP brings up a valid point, and on schedule you attempt to invalidate it. Shame on you for this.

Complete nonsense here as usual. OP brings up a valid point, and on schedule you attempt to invalidate it. Shame on you for this.
Shame on me? Shame on you. 

I don’t think that arguing against international trade is a valid point of view in the 21st Century. (Not that it was valid in the last few centuries before this one either.) Isolationism has never worked for us; it’s been a disaster every time we’ve tried it. I can’t believe that a smart person like you would think otherwise. 

Ok you’re talking about a nationalist rumor in China. People ask how misinformation/disinformation causes harm, a few Facebook accounts Etc. This is it in action. Please consider your sources.
Yeah I’ve been hearing about this supposed shortage from several customers in the pharmacy. I’ve found nothing legitimate about it. The reason people are suggesting to stock up on Rx meds is to limit trips to the store.

Users who are viewing this thread