What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Guys - Dumb Dad Disaster here; Help predict our Misery (2 Viewers)

Hugh Jass said:
Yeah we’re driving it around now “good as new”. As I posted above, he somehow snapped the left front axle, but we got away with no other damage somehow. 😳 Subaru actually covered the axle in full. I must admit that when I shift from Park to Drive I can make out the faintest squeak so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the parking pawl has a slight notch or rub or something now. But it all works. We got so lucky.
I can't tell you how happy I am for you and your family it worked out so well!  This is awesome news!!!

So, when I was 18 a car t-boned me and totaled the car I was driving which was one our family cars, it was old and rusty and due to be replaced so it wasn't the end of the world.  With that money my Dad said "go out and pick out another car you like and if Mom and I approve, we'll get it."  They passed on the minty 10 year old Camaro but approved the 10 year old Buick Le Sabre Limited Sedan.  I did an excellent job picking that car out, it was a one-owner car with only 75k miles on it, no rust, loaded with options (it was a 1976 and the year we bought it was 1986) but still, I really loved that car, it was pretty sweet plus they let me pick it out, so I went for test drives on my own, etc.  I was very proud of the car I picked out.  So, one week later, I totaled it, 100% my fault as I went through an intersection and I was t-boned.  In my defense the stop sign was completely covered by tree limbs but, still, 100% my fault.

Anyway, the very next day I overheard my Dad talking to my Mom and he said "he's a good driver, I don't want this getting into his head and effecting his confidence, get him out there driving on his own today okay?"  And my Dad passed out compliments like they cost him A LOT of money so I knew he meant it.  My point is, your son is excited to drive, don't let this mess with his enthusiasm and confidence.

If you haven't already discussed it (and I'm sure you already have) but I would get in the car with him sometime soon here and run through it again, go over what to do, what no to do, etc.  To me, I think mistakes are excellent learning opportunities to build up from.  I've learned from the accidents I've been involved in (whether driver or passenger) and I used to replay that accident over and over in my mind, what I did wrong and how to learn from it.  

Just my 2 cents as a fellow Dad with a 16 year old who's also excited to drive, my son loves cars too and he's very eager to drive as well but he makes me nervous as hell! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread