What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Living in a Split Political Household (1 Viewer)

Basically, what I was saying is I agree with the conclusions various economists have revealed in their studies.

Comparing capital gains tax rates and economic growth in America from 1950 to 2011, Brookings Institution economist Leonard Burman found no statistically significant correlation between the two.

Economist Thomas L. Hungerford of the liberal Economic Policy Institute found "little or even a negative" correlation between capital gains tax reduction and rates of saving and investment. One of his often cited quotes on the matter is 

"Saving rates have fallen over the past 30 years while the capital gains tax rate has fallen from 28% in 1987 to 15% today .... This suggests that changing capital gains tax rates have had little effect on private saving"

I, personally, don't see a tie in. I know other people say otherwise but, for me, the main thing it goes back to is that capital gains only comes into play when you sell at a profit. Some wealthy people never sell the asset and it never factors. Warren Buffet has said for decades he will never sell a single share of his Coca-Cola stock (I think its Coca-Cola...don't quote me on that but there is something he says he will never sell). But the point being, At some point these people invested heavily into the economy in terms of dollars to get the asset and if they keep it forever, the CG doesn't come into play. 

A lot of people DO pass wealth from generation to generation so, yes, the Vanderbilts, Hiltons, etc will always boost that stat of tracing wealth but MANY people DO make their own way. Oprah Welfrey created wealth. Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Zuckerman. A lot of these people now dwarf the "old money" of the country.  And some of these people have wealth and then lose it. that happens too.

I don't think it matters that much on how it came to be as much as it does on what we are discussing originally in terms of tax and inequality in earning. 
Rather than discussing how the ultra rich got that way, I’m more interested in the increasing gap between the uber wealthy and the average worker, as well as the percentage of overall wealth concentrated at the top. Though he certainly deserves to be fabulously wealthy, I’m not convinced Bezos is that much smarter, industrious or talented than his predecessors to warrant his position on the economic food chain. There has to be a way to change the system so a handful of bazillionaires aren’t so disproportionately wealthy. Any ideas?

Wealth tax would be perfect but I think the current Supreme Court would be very likely to strike it down.  Much higher estate taxes and capital gains taxes probably wouldn’t do anything about Bezos but would help spread wealth away from any heirs.
What would be the grounds for striking it down?  I imagine this would rely on the fact that it is not covered under the 16th, and also not apportioned equally to the states (by population)?

But prior to the 16th, we had consumption taxes, which also wouldn't seem to fly based on that same reasoning.  Maybe a return to consumption taxex (FairTax alert!) instead of income tax would help.

What would be the grounds for striking it down?  I imagine this would rely on the fact that it is not covered under the 16th, and also not apportioned equally to the states (by population)?

But prior to the 16th, we had consumption taxes, which also wouldn't seem to fly based on that same reasoning.  Maybe a return to consumption taxex (FairTax alert!) instead of income tax would help.
Here's a short article discussing it.

The fact that there are seemingly decent arguments in both directions here makes me certain that the current Supreme Court would strike it down for sure.

I'm not a fan of the consumption tax idea that seems like it could be even worse.

Wealth tax would be perfect but I think the current Supreme Court would be very likely to strike it down.  Much higher estate taxes and capital gains taxes probably wouldn’t do anything about Bezos but would help spread wealth away from any heirs.
I disagree on the capital gains tax. Ultimately if you want to tax those level of earners that would be the way to do it. As Bezos monetizes his wealth by selling shares that’s how it is taxed. 

Users who are viewing this thread