Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?


Covid vaccine  

429 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finally eligible Thursday and snagged an appointment for 9:36 a.m. that morning for a Moderna shot #1.  At the place I'm going, they are scheduled every six minutes!  Sigh of relief that the end o

So I was conducting a job interview today.  I flat out asked if they had been able to schedule their vaccine.  The response was that they weren't because they didn't want to alter their DNA.  I was le

Sounds like my wife on our honeymoon 

About 16 hours into my 2nd Pfizer shot. So far just arm soreness for me. Sounds like the symptoms hit for a lot of you either later the day after or even into the next day. Hoping that’s not the case for me because I have way too much to do at work tomorrow to deal with flu like symptoms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Otis said:

By the way, maybe the most pansy thing I’ve ever heard is grown men not wanting to get the vaccine because they’re afraid they may get some chills and run a temperature for a few hours the next day. Holy smokes. Sack up, Murica. 

Ditto that.  This crisis is going to last way longer than it needs to because of the wussification of America.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the 16 year old their shot yesterday morning. Very smooth outdoor operation in Tempe. Multiple lines and tons of volunteers. Really nice to see so many volunteering and how efficient the process was. I think it was sometime in the last day or two we hit 4 million shots in a day. Hopefully as more and more get the 5G enhancement others will come around and we can start to turn the tide against the wrong headed push to open it all backup and crank up the 4th wave.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, matuski said:

That, of course, has nothing to do with why most (all?) people waiting on the vaccine are waiting.

 

I hope you’re right. 
 

(but wait, seriously why are people waiting?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IC FBGCav said:

Do you ever stop being at total tool?  Let people deal with things like this without being judged.  

You nervous about the sniffles?  Be honest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Otis said:

I hope you’re right. 
 

(but wait, seriously why are people waiting?)

Several surgeon buddies are having their wives/kids wait for J&J.  Moderna/Phizer are a new tech/method and the longterm side effects are not known.  J&J made the same way all other vaccines have been made forever so safer to assume there.

 

 

Edited by matuski
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OrganizedChaos said:

20 hours in to Pfizer #1. Only symptoms so far is arm definitely sore and fatigue. 

Pfizer 1 got me after 48 hours, I had all the stuff that most people have with shot 2.  I'm beginning to suspect I had a mild case of Covid or was asymptomatic at some point.  Very few people seem to react to shot 1 and those that do mostly seem to have had it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Pfizer 1 got me after 48 hours, I had all the stuff that most people have with shot 2.  I'm beginning to suspect I had a mild case of Covid or was asymptomatic at some point.  Very few people seem to react to shot 1 and those that do mostly seem to have had it.

Thanks for the heads up. I am hoping it is smooth sailing from here on out but realizing it could hit me at any time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matuski said:

Not that they assume anything bad with Moderna/Phizer... but the fact is there is no data.

They have been pretty extensively studied since they began testing.  Millions of people have had at least 1 dose of vaccine now.  To say "fact is there is no data," is far from factual.

We've been studying mRNA vaccines for a long time now.  

I think get whatever you can get as soon as you can get it.  I'd recommend Moderna/Pfizer over J&J due to the increased efficacy.  But all are good at preventing severe disease.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matuski said:

Not that they assume anything bad with Moderna/Phizer... but the fact is there is no data.

Lol this is the most untrue statement this board may have ever seen. No data?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

Got the 16 year old their shot yesterday morning. Very smooth outdoor operation in Tempe. Multiple lines and tons of volunteers. Really nice to see so many volunteering and how efficient the process was. I think it was sometime in the last day or two we hit 4 million shots in a day. Hopefully as more and more get the 5G enhancement others will come around and we can start to turn the tide against the wrong headed push to open it all backup and crank up the 4th wave.

They’ve actually been having problems with volunteers since they opened up to everyone especially at State Farm. A lot of people were signing up to get their shot earlier. I get a lot of people complaining about the PODs but what they do is so well ran that it’s amazing the vaccines they give through there. We’ve been working like crazy and have done around 6000 and they do that much almost daily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jm192 said:

They have been pretty extensively studied since they began testing.  Millions of people have had at least 1 dose of vaccine now.  To say "fact is there is no data," is far from factual.

We've been studying mRNA vaccines for a long time now.  

I think get whatever you can get as soon as you can get it.  I'd recommend Moderna/Pfizer over J&J due to the increased efficacy.  But all are good at preventing severe disease.  

Personally I’ll recommend someone at high risk - older/health conditions/high exposure to hold out for Moderna/Pfizer, everyone else J&J is perfectly fine, even preferred. We’re to the point where I’d much rather be giving the J&J.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otis said:

I hope you’re right. 
 

(but wait, seriously why are people waiting?)

Of someone had Covid in the last 6 months or so there's absolutely no reason to get one ASAP

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Of someone had Covid in the last 6 months or so there's absolutely no reason to get one ASAP

Not exactly true. We don’t know how well natural immunity protects against the new variants. We’re learning how well the vaccines do against it but we don’t know if natural immunity is able up adapt as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

Not exactly true. We don’t know how well natural immunity protects against the new variants. We’re learning how well the vaccines do against it but we don’t know if natural immunity is able up adapt as well.

Why would the vaccines provide protection against the variants but not actual covid. That doesn't even make logical sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Why would the vaccines provide protection against the variants but not actual covid. That doesn't even make logical sense.

Not at all what he said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Why would the vaccines provide protection against the variants but not actual covid. That doesn't even make logical sense.

The vaccines, at least Moderna and Pfizer, target a unique spike protein on the virus that allows it to enter body cells. Thus far the variants have not modified that protein enough to make the vaccines ineffective. 

With natural immunity, we don’t know how our immune system targets and stops the COVID virus when exposed in the future. It could very well act similarly to the vaccines and be highly effective against variants. But it’s also possible that the variants mutated in a way that avoids detection from natural immunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 4:54 AM, Doug B said:

New Orleans, Houston, and Atlanta drivers: "Hold our beers!" :D

(JK ... the DC area is also a giant terrible-drivers legend)

Los Angeles has to be on this list.

On 4/1/2021 at 5:22 AM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Worst roads I’ve ever driven on were in Georgia, but that was probably 25 years ago. 

Funny, I thought Atlanta had great roads, but terrible traffic.

Although Hawaii drivers are unusually considerate, the roads and traffic are worse than Atlanta.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 2:20 AM, Doug B said:

Either the guidance on this is changing or not all providers are on the same page. My daughter was told, after her first vaccination this past Tuesday, that she could take any OTC pain reliever she wanted, and as soon as she wanted :shrug: 

The concerns were mostly theoretical (limited data is conflicting), and primarily focused on NSAIDS like Advil/Motrin etc. If you remember back a year-ish ago, there were also warnings about NSAIDS to treat covid symptoms.

In both cases, the risk was likely overstated, but if you’re concerned, Tylenol is less likely to be a problem with the immunologic response/inflammatory cascade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Otis said:

This feels like the flat earth versus globe earth “debate” that was had a long long time ago. 

Yea we booked a big family outing to New Orleans in June under the agreement all adults would have vaccines by then. I’ve laid out 3 grand so far, don’t know if it can be refunded. My sister and niece now saying they don’t want the vaccines while promoting all the same uneducated talking points we’ve all seen everywhere else. Was taking my mom there to see her family but now not sure I want my kid and other kids around them. Frustrating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got a 1st dose scheduled at a CVS for Friday. Then I get a message saying they will hold the timeslot for me for the first dose, but don't have any available 2nd doses? Now I need to try and schedule the 2nd dose by going to another one? They won't let me confirm the first one until I find a second one.

I thought that they wouldn't let you sign up for a first dose without guranteeing you get a 2nd dose?

 

Thoughts? Do I just stay on the website and continue to look for a 2nd dose or start over?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, b-snatchers said:

So I got a 1st dose scheduled at a CVS for Friday. Then I get a message saying they will hold the timeslot for me for the first dose, but don't have any available 2nd doses? Now I need to try and schedule the 2nd dose by going to another one? They won't let me confirm the first one until I find a second one.

I thought that they wouldn't let you sign up for a first dose without guranteeing you get a 2nd dose?

 

Thoughts? Do I just stay on the website and continue to look for a 2nd dose or start over?

 

I would guess this is either a) a glitch, or b) some type of CYA message just in case.

Either way, somewhere in the next 2-6 weeks we are going to have so much extra vaccine (in some areas) that govts will be begging people to get a shot.  Keep the appointment and take the shot.  That’s what I would do.

If you find another shot before then, where they can guarantee the 2nd shot?  Well cool, then make the switch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, b-snatchers said:

So I got a 1st dose scheduled at a CVS for Friday. Then I get a message saying they will hold the timeslot for me for the first dose, but don't have any available 2nd doses? Now I need to try and schedule the 2nd dose by going to another one? They won't let me confirm the first one until I find a second one.

I thought that they wouldn't let you sign up for a first dose without guranteeing you get a 2nd dose?

 

Thoughts? Do I just stay on the website and continue to look for a 2nd dose or start over?

 

Walgreens won't let you book a first dose appointment even if there are open ones listed on their website unless there are 2nd doses available.  I'd keep that appointment but keep trying and maybe you can get a duel vaccine scheduled then cancel Friday's appointment.  With Walgreens we booked appointments at 6 am CST.  I was told those appointments open up early and go quickly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Which vaccine has had the worst side effects?

I thought I heard J&J but not sure.

It's chaotic in the sense that there's no pattern. People will naturally compare notes with those they know and then draw conclusions ... but from a top-of-the-mountain view, all the vaccines are equivalent re: likelihood of side effects.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I would guess this is either a) a glitch, or b) some type of CYA message just in case.

Either way, somewhere in the next 2-6 weeks we are going to have so much extra vaccine (in some areas) that govts will be begging people to get a shot.  Keep the appointment and take the shot.  That’s what I would do.

If you find another shot before then, where they can guarantee the 2nd shot?  Well cool, then make the switch.

So, they don't let you book this appointment until you find a second one so I am still searching. Maybe keep this website opened and then start over again

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Doug B said:

It's chaotic in the sense that there's no pattern. People will naturally compare notes with those they know and then draw conclusions ... but from a top-of-the-mountain view, all the vaccines are equivalent re: likelihood of side effects.

In this same vein, I have been trying to use this thread to "guess" how I will react to Moderna dose #2 tomorrow morning.  Taking all things into consideration (age 52, generally healthy and having had Covid last March), I suspect I will experience some fatigue and headache around the 12-hour-ish mark.  Total non-scientific and rather based on the FBG scale.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 4:30 PM, Pigskin Fanatic said:

reading this 3 hours after my pfizer shot #1, not looking forward to tomorrow. or next week. or the next shot. :oldunsure:

24 hours later I was playing a round of golf and felt the soreness a bit on the shoulder i got the shot (Saturday). 48 hours later (or next morning, Sunday) I felt no ill effects at all. One of my buddies whom I played with on Saturday had it bad after his first shot a few weeks ago, so definitely different for everyone. will report back after second shot in two weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Place I got mine auto-scheduled for a second dose 1 month out on the same day and same time. Very slick. 

45 minutes after, still alive. :excited:

45 minutes after, still not invisible. :kicksrock:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Capella said:

Lol this is the most untrue statement this board may have ever seen. No data?

There is a key word you omitted before "data".

If you have longterm data on vaccines created in the last year I would say I am impressed, and you should run with it to every news source on the planet.

 

Edited by matuski
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jm192 said:

They have been pretty extensively studied since they began testing.  Millions of people have had at least 1 dose of vaccine now.  To say "fact is there is no data," is far from factual.

We've been studying mRNA vaccines for a long time now.  

I think get whatever you can get as soon as you can get it.  I'd recommend Moderna/Pfizer over J&J due to the increased efficacy.  But all are good at preventing severe disease.  

I didn't say they haven't been studied.  Again the key word "longterm" is being ignored.

I'm saying they dont't have longterm data on the new vaccines, and I am saying my surgeon buddies prefer to assume the JnJ version is safe (longterm) over the newer types.

I got moderna, wife got phizer... I don't care at all beyond people trying to speak for others and using this as a ridiculous platform to shame people.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capella said:

Yea we booked a big family outing to New Orleans in June under the agreement all adults would have vaccines by then. I’ve laid out 3 grand so far, don’t know if it can be refunded. My sister and niece now saying they don’t want the vaccines while promoting all the same uneducated talking points we’ve all seen everywhere else. Was taking my mom there to see her family but now not sure I want my kid and other kids around them. Frustrating. 

 

Is your family vaccinated?

If so go have fun. You are protected from getting sick and you are protected from spreading to them.  No reason to have a family fight over this.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

 

Is your family vaccinated?

If so go have fun. You are protected from getting sick and you are protected from spreading to them.  No reason to have a family fight over this.

My kid is not (too young), and before somebody says kids can’t get ill, I know of one who was in the hospital with this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Capella said:

My kid is not (too young), and before somebody says kids can’t get ill, I know of one who was in the hospital with this. 

 

But that is not where the risk is from when traveling with kids. The risk is going to be all the other people you are in contact with on a daily basis: waiters, cooks, fellow diners, fellow airplane passengers, etc.

The additional risk of not having your sister/niece vaccinated is negligible.

One study that i read from this year shows that kids are 20 times less likely to be hospitalized than adults and the biggest risk are cancer patients and those under the age of one.

Edited by MTskibum
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

 

But that is not where the risk is from when traveling with kids. The risk is going to be all the other people you are in contact with on a daily vacation, waiters, cooks, fellow diners, fellow airplane passengers, etc.

The additional risk of not having your sister/niece vaccinated is negligible.

One study that i read from this year shows that kids are 20 times less likely to be hospitalized than adults and the biggest risk are cancer patients and those under the age of one.

My sister is in a business where she is around people all the time, in a southern town where almost nobody is masking up, she definitely will not quarantine in advance and we’ll be sharing a house with her for a week. I understand my son is at less of a risk than I certainly would be, but I’d rather almost completely eliminate that risk than have it exist at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

My sister is in a business where she is around people all the time, in a southern town where almost nobody is masking up, she definitely will not quarantine in advance and we’ll be sharing a house with her for a week. I understand my son is at less of a risk than I certainly would be, but I’d rather almost completely eliminate that risk than have it exist at all. 

But you are going to be eating out I assume in New Orleans, going to museums, walking around town, visiting shops. The risk is much greater from your every day activities while on vacation. You are going to come across tens or even hundreds of people like her on a daily basis while on vacation. Yes she is selfish, but if you are worried about her then maybe you need to cancel the vacation regardless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

But you are going to be eating out I assume in New Orleans, going to museums, walking around town, visiting shops. The risk is much greater from your every day activities while on vacation. You are going to come across tens or even hundreds of people like her on a daily basis while on vacation. Yes she is selfish, but if you are worried about her then maybe you need to cancel the vacation regardless.

My kid will be wearing a mask when inside shopping, just like he does here. Eating and walking around outdoors isn’t the same risk as living in the same house with somebody for a week at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

But you are going to be eating out I assume in New Orleans, going to museums, walking around town, visiting shops.

As far as interior spaces go, New Orleans is one of the strictest cities in the U.S. regarding masking ordinances (it's local law here, not mandate). This is also one of the few cities of the U.S. (that I'm aware of) where the police will vigorously enforce interior-space masking, capacity limits, etc. They can't be everywhere at once, but loud displays of "mah rights!" at a New Orleans retailer can draw unwanted attention from law enforcement real quick.

That said, there are no outdoor masking ordinances ... so visitors hitting up the usual touristy areas (e.g. Bourbon Street) can find themselves in a fairly crowded outdoor spot with few people masked around them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Capella said:

My sister is in a business where she is around people all the time, in a southern town where almost nobody is masking up, she definitely will not quarantine in advance and we’ll be sharing a house with her for a week.

Dang. Would she at least take a rapid test or two before travelling down here? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

My kid will be wearing a mask when inside shopping, just like he does here. Eating and walking around outdoors isn’t the same risk as living in the same house with somebody for a week at all. 

We will have to agree to disagree on the level of risk. I would rather take my chance living with 1 person who had a large bubble than mingling with many people that have large bubbles.

Yes the risk of catching it is lower, but the chance of one or multiple of them having covid is higher.

 

Many people who wear masks do not know where they caught it from. Everyone wears masks where I live yet we have had two large spikes. So I know that wearing a mask while inside shopping does not reduce the risk that much from Covid.

Edited by MTskibum
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doug B said:

Dang. Would she at least take a rapid test or two before travelling down here? 

Haven’t thought to ask her that, but I will. Good idea. She’d probably do that at least. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

We will have to agree to disagree on the level of risk. I would rather take my chance living with 1 person who had a large bubble than mingling with many people that have large bubbles.

Yes the risk of catching it is lower, but the chance of one or multiple of them having covid is higher.

 

Many people who wear masks do not know where they caught it from. Everyone wears masks where I live yet we have had two large spikes.

I don’t plan on mingling with anybody. We’ve been in plenty of stores here, everybody has on a mask and it’s been fine. Going out to dinner I admit seems a little more risky but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as risky as living with an unvaccinated person who deals with people every day. 

Edited by Capella
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Going out to dinner I admit seems a little more risky ... 

This town loves its dining, and was loathe to give it up for long, pandemic or not. Accordingly, outdoor dining options -- which were ample before -- have positively blossomed. Here's a handy list of 24 N.O. outdoor-dining locales (#2 and #19 are best for cheap-but-good eats with the kids) ... but also ask whoever local you all are staying with. There are hundreds more places in the city and suburbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...