What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
tetanus is every 10 years.
yeah, so he said. I honestly don't remember ever getting one and no doctor back in NY ever suggested it. Maybe because there's more outdoor activity here so it is more of a normal thing.

I only remember people saying if you step on a nail, you should get one...lol

Yes. I believe there are costs. Extremely obvious ones for kids who are developing. More insidious for adults but real nonetheless.

Did they all have the virus before getting the vaccine? If I didn't have the virus, he would have recommended a booster but he feels that since my body has shown the ability to fight Covid, the booster isn't necessary at this point.
No.  None of them had Covid prior 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
That simply isn't true.  That is why we are not seeing COVID outbreaks in schools where masks are required.  My kids have had COVID cases in the school and classes, and there has been no transmission because everyone is wearing masks except at lunch and recess.
my kid goes to a huge HS, mask mandate in place all year.  we get at least 1 email a week, that someone at school has covid. :shrug:  

mask mandate went into effect here in CA yesterday.  the "my freedoms!!!" people are freaking out.  i'll never understand what is the big deal.  i wore a mask at work yesterday, for the first time in forever.  6.75 hours straight.  very mildly annoyed was the extent of my reaction.  HR had to come and threaten the chin diaper group.  so dumb.

my kid goes to a huge HS, mask mandate in place all year.  we get at least 1 email a week, that someone at school has covid. :shrug:  
Exactly.  The claim isn't that kids won't ever get COVID if they wear masks at school.  Kids could get infected in lots of places, like home, work, after-school activities, etc.  The claim is that masks lower the chances of a large outbreak at school if a kid is infected.  Studies have shown this to be true.

mask mandate went into effect here in CA yesterday.  the "my freedoms!!!" people are freaking out.  i'll never understand what is the big deal.  i wore a mask at work yesterday, for the first time in forever.  6.75 hours straight.  very mildly annoyed was the extent of my reaction.  HR had to come and threaten the chin diaper group.  so dumb.
I'll probably never understand why there is so much resistance to something so innocuous.  I imagine those same people never complain about having to wear pants, shoes, and a shirt.

Exactly.  The claim isn't that kids won't ever get COVID if they wear masks at school.  Kids could get infected in lots of places, like home, work, after-school activities, etc.  The claim is that masks lower the chances of a large outbreak at school if a kid is infected.  Studies have shown this to be true.
agreed.  

Yes, but are they getting it from school and transmitting it to others at school?  Plenty of kids getting COVID from elsewhere, but there has been little evidence (statistically) of transmission occurring within the school buildings themselves when masking is enforced.  

Yes, but are they getting it from school and transmitting it to others at school?  Plenty of kids getting COVID from elsewhere, but there has been little evidence (statistically) of transmission occurring within the school buildings themselves when masking is enforced.  
agreed.  i think the kids wearing masks at school lessons the transmissions at school.  and at the very least, provides the teachers with a small modicum of protection.  the kids themselves don't give a ####.  they interact all the time maskless.  including at school, while at lunch or at any time they are outdoors.

agreed.  i think the kids wearing masks at school lessons the transmissions at school.  and at the very least, provides the teachers with a small modicum of protection.  the kids themselves don't give a ####.  they interact all the time maskless.  including at school, while at lunch or at any time they are outdoors.

Teenagers.

I'll probably never understand why there is so much resistance to something so innocuous.  I imagine those same people never complain about having to wear pants, shoes, and a shirt.
I mean, wearing a shirt and pants to work is kind of a pain. Yesterday I had to put on a shirt for 20 minutes or so for a video call. But below the view of the camera, all bets are off. 

yeah, so he said. I honestly don't remember ever getting one and no doctor back in NY ever suggested it. Maybe because there's more outdoor activity here so it is more of a normal thing.

I only remember people saying if you step on a nail, you should get one...lol
Fwiw, my doctor in ny recommended it repeatedly when it had been more than 10 years. 

I believe not seeing faces has real long term effects on people. Less human interaction is detrimental both for the individual's psyche and collectively as a group. I think people are less likely to recognize the humanity in others when they can't see their faces. We're often too quick to dismiss other people as simply being 'other' even without masks. Faces, expressions, smiles connect us. I think people are often disarmed by a smile, even (especially?) when they come from strangers. We communicate better by seeing each others lips move to form words and simply because it's easier to hear someone who is unmasked. I think for many people those small connections help them feel less alone. Again, I know these are small things individually, but they add up for society and for the loneliest individuals over the course of nearly two years. That's why I say the costs are insidious but no less real. 

For kids, all of the above of course. Add to that the problems masks cause in the classroom...I don't need to outline those, just ask the nearest teacher. 

Hard to quantify these things, but I believe they are very real and very costly in the long run.

s

I believe not seeing faces has real long term effects on people. Less human interaction is detrimental both for the individual's psyche and collectively as a group. I think people are less likely to recognize the humanity in others when they can't see their faces. We're often too quick to dismiss other people as simply being 'other' even without masks. Faces, expressions, smiles connect us. I think people are often disarmed by a smile, even (especially?) when they come from strangers. We communicate better by seeing each others lips move to form words and simply because it's easier to hear someone who is unmasked. I think for many people those small connections help them feel less alone. Again, I know these are small things individually, but they add up for society and for the loneliest individuals over the course of nearly two years. That's why I say the costs are insidious but no less real. 

For kids, all of the above of course. Add to that the problems masks cause in the classroom...I don't need to outline those, just ask the nearest teacher. 

Hard to quantify these things, but I believe they are very real and very costly in the long run.
I agree on some of this. Masks are not ideal but neither is kids seeing their grandparents die surprisingly young. Neither is a pandemic killing large numbers. So much of this is about how we frame it for our kids. This can be a great lesson in sacrifice, protecting the weak, etc. It is all a matter of how we present it to the kids. Children tend to copy adults and if we tell the kids that we are protecting people and being strong, they will understand that. If we tell them the mask is choking them and taking away their freedom, they will pick up on that too. 

As for the masks in the classroom, I can't say it is much of an issue. Of all the issues I deal with each day, the mask is nothing. The kids wear them and sure they sometimes pull them down. When I ask them to cover their faces, they do it.  We also make sure to stress this is a health measure to protect everyone and not about control. The kids get it because we talk about it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to go back to the office a couple of days a week (on public transportation— train) and travel for work every so often again starting in January. Is Omnicron going to ruin this?

I just want to go back to the office a couple of days a week (on public transportation— train) and travel for work every so often again starting in January. Is Omnicron going to ruin this?
Short answer is yes but your proliferation in these threads kinda leads me to believe you already knew this.

My company just shut down all offices again for the next 3 weeks. We'd been open for a hybrid schedule since late May (with a short stint of "optional" attendance when Delta first popped up)

I assumed this would happen right after the new year but this thing is spreading fast again. Vaccination has been required with no masks unless local law requires. 

Not complaining about skipping the commute during the winter, but I hope this doesn't get out of control again 

Semi-rhetorical question; semi-someone please say you’re boosted you’re fine. 
Boosted = ~80% protected vs infection and very strong protection vs serious disease.

Doesn't mean go out and lick doorknobs...Russian roulette is about 80% chance too.... how many times you wanna pull that trigger  ;)   

At this point, I think we could experience an outbreak of the bubonic plague, smallpox, and anthrax simultaneously and my university would be open for mask-optional business as usual.  Our upper administration is openly keeping track of every single class that gets cancelled or moved online even for a single day.  It would take something really profound to move us back online.  

Just saying that because I'm starting to see a small number of universities tinkering with the start of the spring semester.  If I was a betting man, I would bet on far fewer of these than spring 2020.

Boosted = ~80% protected vs infection and very strong protection vs serious disease.

Doesn't mean go out and lick doorknobs...Russian roulette is about 80% chance too.... how many times you wanna pull that trigger  ;)   

I am just burned out.  Every time I have a plan in place to return to the office and travel, there is a new variant.  I also just hired someone, who is starting in January, and I thought it would be nice to have the office semi-open and meet him there in person at least once during the first week.

I already was planning on skipping a big conference in January, because 8,000 people from all over the country doing inside meetings and meals is too much IMO in the winter still. BUT I was planning to go to Florida for 2-days of meetings at the end of January, which would include dinner etc.  But now I don't know what to do about any of it.  

I am boosted and my kids are both vaccinated now too.  Am I overthinking?  Have I been TOO CAREFUL?  Should I not risk making the sacrifices of the last 2 years moot?

I am just burned out.  Every time I have a plan in place to return to the office and travel, there is a new variant.  I also just hired someone, who is starting in January, and I thought it would be nice to have the office semi-open and meet him there in person at least once during the first week.

I already was planning on skipping a big conference in January, because 8,000 people from all over the country doing inside meetings and meals is too much IMO in the winter still. BUT I was planning to go to Florida for 2-days of meetings at the end of January, which would include dinner etc.  But now I don't know what to do about any of it.  

I am boosted and my kids are both vaccinated now too.  Am I overthinking?  Have I been TOO CAREFUL?  Should I not risk making the sacrifices of the last 2 years moot?
I'm hoping we get pushed back  ..... since we were never allowed to be remote and talk is we wont be allowed again I'm milking this for as long as possible

At this point, I think we could experience an outbreak of the bubonic plague, smallpox, and anthrax simultaneously and my university would be open for mask-optional business as usual.
Is your university a non-traditional model (e.g. Oral Roberts, Liberty, etc.)? Seems like in most universities in most places, there would be a critical mass of collectivist thinkers (sure, call 'em 'liberals' for mental shorthand) that would ensure a more protective stance against COVID threats.

Is your university a non-traditional model (e.g. Oral Roberts, Liberty, etc.)? Seems like in most universities in most places, there would be a critical mass of collectivist thinkers (sure, call 'em 'liberals' for mental shorthand) that would ensure a more protective stance against COVID threats.
Nope -- I'm a government employee at a mid-sized public university in the Midwest.  Like Ron Swanson, I'm working tirelessly to bring it down from the inside, but you're right that most of my colleagues (who I genuinely like, by and large) are collectivists.  And a large number of them are way more proactive about covid than I am.  We would definitely have a mask mandate, capacity restrictions, and lots more online classes if it were put up to a vote.  

The driver is that my state's governor has national ambitions, and my state is tiny enough in terms of population that she can easily micromanage our higher ed system.  Our current approach to the pandemic is completely top-down in that respect, and by "top down" I mean from the very tippy-top.  In this particular case, I happen to like the policy that's being implemented, but I hate the manner in which it's being implemented.

You don’t strike me as someone who makes impulsive decisions jeopardizing those around you so I think you’ll be fine. 

i know its been asked but i cant find it....

how long after boosting to "reach full protection"  --  stiill ~ 7 days.   My daughter was jsut past 6 months so I'm not overly worried - just curious

i know its been asked but i cant find it....

how long after boosting to "reach full protection"  --  still ~ 7 days.   My daughter was jsut past 6 months so I'm not overly worried - just curious
Still around two weeks, so far as I've seen. 

Still around two weeks, so far as I've seen. 
Thanks.  Like I said without really knowing my 16 year old being 1 week past 6 months and now boosted yesterday - I feel pretty good right now - unlike the first time where we waited the 2 weeks to do something we might consider risky

All three in my household are getting boosted after Christmas. 

I am glad my son just went on Winter break too.....his school has had 45 reported positives in the last two weeks. We did not even have more than 15 the first two quarters of school till the last two weeks. Pretty wild. His student population is around 3500. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine said 9 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes and 32 seconds. When I asked if that was from initial insertion or actual emptying of the syringe, he couldn't answer. So I ignored him.
I would have tagged your post with the laughing emoji in appreciation of your efforts and moved. Sadly, we’ve lost that simple privilege. Damn this virus!

Take your emoji and move on  :lmao:

Sure but that’s really small considering we are taking about 2000ish people all crammed together for 7 hours a day. Don’t forget how much less personal space one has when in school compared to adult life. We are also not seeing outbreaks in our large HS. Sure kids have it but we mostly aren’t seeing it being spread in the building. There isn’t a correlation between kids that test positive and kids that sit next to them also becoming positive. Almost all our transmissions have been most likely from events the kids are attending outside of class (sports, parties, vacations).

Got my Moderna booster yesterday afternoon.  Originally had the J&J.  I have a headache today along with nausea, dizziness and a sore arm.  Hopefully wont last long.

Checked for appointment yesterday morning. Found appointment. Reserved. 4 hours later, boosted AF. 

Counting down the 9 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 22 seconds till my microchip is fully activated! :tinfoilhat:  
They didn’t tell you? The boosters are using nano particles so there’s no wait time now. You are active as soon as you get the shot  :thumbup:

I think mask mandates are an important tool and should be used to diminish spread when possible.

With that said, I do think that proponents of mask mandates tend to underestimate the negative consequences of masks.

In particular, I think wearing masks at school has significantly diminished the educational experience for lots of students.  It’s not a trivial concern.
I’ve heard this quite a bit, but is there really any objective data demonstrating masks harm school-aged children?

I’ve heard this quite a bit, but is there really any objective data demonstrating masks harm school-aged children?
I’m not sure what kind of data you would be looking for in fatguys example.  If these kids aren’t learning as much, aren’t interacting as much, their self-esteem is being damaged - those things aren’t as easily measured and typically wouldn’t show up immediately.  I’ve said all along that one of the trickiest decisions we’ve collectively had to make during this pandemic is keeping schools open.  For that reason alone I think the parents of school aged kids and really all adults should get vaccinated just to ensure we can keep schools open.

Users who are viewing this thread