What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (3 Viewers)

@StatsBySTATS: June 7: Toffoli scores 99 seconds into OT to eliminate Winnipeg
Tonight: Lehkonen scores 99 seconds into OT to eliminate Vegas

The @CanadiensMTL are the first team in NHL history to score 2 OT goals at the exact same time in a single postseason (let alone to clinch a series).

@SOHistory: Since 1988 - largest NHL playoff series upsets in the Conference Finals/Stanley Cup Semifinals round

2021 - Montreal +375 vs Vegas -475
1996 - Colorado +250 vs Detroit -330
1991 - Minnesota +230 vs Edmonton -270
1996 - Florida +220 vs Pittsburgh -300

@StatsBySTATS: June 7: Toffoli scores 99 seconds into OT to eliminate Winnipeg
Tonight: Lehkonen scores 99 seconds into OT to eliminate Vegas

The @CanadiensMTL are the first team in NHL history to score 2 OT goals at the exact same time in a single postseason (let alone to clinch a series).
Wow. Now that's odd.

This is what you get for hiring a loser from San Jose btw
@Bfarrell727: Peter DeBoer's playoff history:
2012: Lose SCF in 6 games
2016: Lose SCF in 6 games
2017: Lose in first round in 6 games
2018: Lose in second round in 6 games
2019: Lose in WCF in 6 games
2020: Lose in WCF in 5 games
2021: Lose in CF in 6 games

If true, at the very least, Wirtz should fire every single person that knew about this and did nothing. I would assume that Chicago PD will begin an investigation as well.

ETA

The Athletic has a story today that a player on that team says every player knew about the sexual assault. Even going as far as the coach got players drunk and tried to perform oral on them. Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolts win! Bolts win! Back to the Cup Finals with another series clinching shutout by Vasilevskiy, a 1-0 defensive onslaught, and next up is Montreal!

no one thought they could do it.  everyone wrote them off.  what a Cinderella run for Tampa.  the team that defied all odds and salary cap calculations.  everyone is saying Montreal will be their toughest test yet.  no one giving them a chance.  

I still believe.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Only SHG the Isles let up all year is a tough way to lose. But in the end TB was the better team.

Isles missed their C in Anders Lee - few tweaks here & there and they’ll be back next year as they open Belmont Park.

Good luck to the Bolts the rest of the way.

no one thought they could do it.  everyone wrote them off.  what a Cinderella run for Tampa.  the team that defied all odds and salary cap calculations.  everyone is saying Montreal will be their toughest test yet.  no one giving them a chance.  

I still believe.  
I’ve crunched the numbers, I’ve analyzed the data and studied the facts and my conclusion is that the Tampa Bay Lightning are in fact good. 

I’ve crunched the numbers, I’ve analyzed the data and studied the facts and my conclusion is that the Tampa Bay Lightning are in fact good. 
Can’t argue with facts. Of course, some people will say they got around the cap, which they tried to not do that, but with a guy making $9m a season needing surgery, they kinda had to. They put Tyler Johnson on waivers twice, no takers, so they had to make it all work within the rules, which they did, and now people are whining. Never mind that half the league did the same thing, never mind that (and this is important, so pay attention) what they did was all legal by the NHL’s own rules, suddenly they’re cheating. Well, they’re not, and good luck to everyone else, because once they change that rule, nobody will be able to save their star when they need surgery, and they miss the playoffs because of it. 

Can’t argue with facts. Of course, some people will say they got around the cap, which they tried to not do that, but with a guy making $9m a season needing surgery, they kinda had to. They put Tyler Johnson on waivers twice, no takers, so they had to make it all work within the rules, which they did, and now people are whining. Never mind that half the league did the same thing, never mind that (and this is important, so pay attention) what they did was all legal by the NHL’s own rules, suddenly they’re cheating. Well, they’re not, and good luck to everyone else, because once they change that rule, nobody will be able to save their star when they need surgery, and they miss the playoffs because of it. 
Gonna need a little more info on this.

Cap Friendly has all the stats for it
No one is disputing that teams go over the cap because of LTIR. But half the league then brought those LTIR players back just in time for the playoffs?

I really don’t care ... as you say, it’s within the rules and I enjoy watching the Lightning play. I joked to Capella about the Bruins doing it with Rask next season, because I think that would be hysterical.

Fix the loophole going forward. But don’t get offended when other fans call them out on it.

No one is disputing that teams go over the cap because of LTIR. But half the league then brought those LTIR players back just in time for the playoffs?

I really don’t care ... as you say, it’s within the rules and I enjoy watching the Lightning play. I joked to Capella about the Bruins doing it with Rask next season, because I think that would be hysterical.

Fix the loophole going forward. But don’t get offended when other fans call them out on it.
Exactly, fix the loophole. That’s fine. Tampa will still be good for a while.

I’m not offended at all. I am ordering a jersey with the name that says CAP COMPLIANT with the #21 on it. 

The city of Tampa is the first to host a Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Final in the same calendar year (examples like LA/Pasadena not counted).

the NYI's 11 goals vs TB were tied for the seventh fewest in a 7-game series in NHL history, and fewest since SJ's 10 vs Kings nearly a decade ago. NHL record is 8 (Vancouver vs Boston). 

credit to the isles for even getting it to 7 with that stat. Crazy. 

Ironically Tyler was one of the best guys on the ice last night. He’s overpaid for sure but he’s a 2C for like half the league. Crazy nobody will take him. He is extremely overpaid though. 

LTIR for active players is fine.  especially when it helps a plucky little club that no one expected to win like Tampa.

LTIR to avoid cap recapture penalties is dumb and abused.  however all the contracts signed before the instituted cap recapture should have been exempt anyway (not the GM’s fault for paying market and that was market at the time).

so I’m indifferent.  except like when the Blackhawks do it with Hossas.  that’s super lame and pathetic.

I mean Kuch was very much hurt. That’s why I don’t get all the grief. Guy had freaking hip surgery for God’s sake. 

LTIR for active players is fine.  especially when it helps a plucky little club that no one expected to win like Tampa.

LTIR to avoid cap recapture penalties is dumb and abused.  however all the contracts signed before the instituted cap recapture should have been exempt anyway (not the GM’s fault for paying market and that was market at the time).

so I’m indifferent.  except like when the Blackhawks do it with Hossas.  that’s super lame and pathetic.
Interesting fact: the Blackhawks benefited from this same rule when they beat Tampa for the Cup. Also, one of the 2 teams to vote against this rule was none other than the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I mean Kuch was very much hurt. That’s why I don’t get all the grief. Guy had freaking hip surgery for God’s sake. 
But, but, he could totally have played in a meaningless game near the end of the season! It’s as though rehab isn’t a thing!

It's a ways off, but the 2023 NHL Draft is going to be stacked at the top. If your team has a top 2 pick, consider yourself very very fortunate. 

Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov look like absolute studs. Both were absolute monsters in the U18 tournament a couple months back. 

Michkov scored 12 goals and 16 points in 7 games as a 16 year old. Bedard 7 goals and 14 points in 7 games. And Bedard doesn't turn 16 until mid July. 

Insanely good. Same tournament, McDavid as a 16 year old had 14 points in 7 games. Ovechkin had 14 goals and 18 points as a 16 year old in 8 games. NOT trying to compare either guy to those two, but trying to give context. 

Bedard had 12 goals and 28 points in 15 games for Regina in the WHL as a 15 year this past year. Both his and Michkov's shots are sick. I think Michkov might get some time in the KHL next year. 

Check these guys out on youtube if you haven't yet. Supremely talented players. 

It's a ways off, but the 2023 NHL Draft is going to be stacked at the top. If your team has a top 2 pick, consider yourself very very fortunate. 

Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov look like absolute studs. Both were absolute monsters in the U18 tournament a couple months back. 

Michkov scored 12 goals and 16 points in 7 games as a 16 year old. Bedard 7 goals and 14 points in 7 games. And Bedard doesn't turn 16 until mid July. 

Insanely good. Same tournament, McDavid as a 16 year old had 14 points in 7 games. Ovechkin had 14 goals and 18 points as a 16 year old in 8 games. NOT trying to compare either guy to those two, but trying to give context. 

Bedard had 12 goals and 28 points in 15 games for Regina in the WHL as a 15 year this past year. Both his and Michkov's shots are sick. I think Michkov might get some time in the KHL next year. 

Check these guys out on youtube if you haven't yet. Supremely talented players. 
Suddenly the Kraken hiring Dave Hakstol makes a lot more sense.

Montreal Canadiens winger Joel Armia will not travel with the team to Tampa for the Stanley Cup Final after entering the NHL's COVID-19 protocol, general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Sunday.

JaxBill said:
Suddenly the Kraken hiring Dave Hakstol makes a lot more sense.
And Shane Wright in 2022 isn't too shabby either. 

Imagine Seattle going the total opposite of the Vegas route and sucking for the first couple of years and getting Wright+Bedard/Michkov? Would be sick. 

Interesting side note: this will be the second consecutive season where the Cup winner and runner-up will share a division the following season.

JaxBill said:
Montreal Canadiens winger Joel Armia will not travel with the team to Tampa for the Stanley Cup Final after entering the NHL's COVID-19 protocol, general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Sunday.
Guess he cleared and is on his way to Tampa. Gtd for tonight. 

He's a 4th line guy but is a pretty important guy since he's one of the primary penalty killers.

Anybody going tonight? I got tickets for the other 3 games but passed on tonight. 

…now I’m scouring the ticket exchange for tickets for tonight lol.  

Users who are viewing this thread