What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Dynasty Offseason Stashes and Shark Moves (3 Viewers)

I dropped Fulgham in favor of other stashes, myself.  Fulgham has not been fantasy relevant since Week #8, and the switch to Hurts has not benefitted Fulgham either.  In typical leagues, I prefer Trautman as a stash, personally. 

Besides, having Trautman on my team gives me flashbacks to Rambo!  Any man who can make Rambo can surely kick butt at TE!

"Company leader to identify Baker Team - Rambo, Messner, Ortega, Coletta, Jorgensen, Danforth, Berry, Krakauer confirm! This is Colonel Trautman. Talk to me, Johnny!"
I think Fulgham drop in production happened when Jeffery came back. 

Thoughts on Ke’shawn Vaughn?
I think it's likely he owns the third down role next season. James White, which I guess you can add to this list, is a FA and he's passing down back on a team that can't pass and not hard to see him reuniting with Brady should he return with Tampa so I think White is a threat but not bad to sit on both if you can.

I definitely favor Trautman over Fulgham under virtually any circumstance. I have him stashed too but did not include him earlier as I doubt he's available on the wire in dynsaty leagues that are 24-deep, which is my main point of reference.  Not sure what NOS plans are for Jared Cook, but he is a FA after this season (according to my sleuthing on his wikipedia page).
I grabbed Troutman last week.. 14 team, 20 man roster. Got one spot left to fill, was considering ..

Eto Benjamin

I'll be honest, I was excited to see this thread and now after reading thru what is here I can't say there are more than 2 or 3 names I'm even a little excited about.

I like Vaughn in Tampa but don't love him. Kind of like Guyton. A little blown away with some of the garbage TE names I'm seeing thrown around but I also have no qualm with anyone's stash. No it isn't *free* but I think the risk is zero. 

I stashed Trayveon Williams and Andrew Luck in one league the other day. Didn't really see any other names I was interested enough in.

Got absolutely blasted by leaguemates for taking Luck. In my mind it is like folding the 2-7 in the big blind in poker when nobody has raised it and you can see a flop for free. There is no risk only upside. Except the poker analogy falls apart when you consider that when 2-7-K comes you could get yourself in real trouble. I'm never taking a 0 in my lineup with Luck, though. The *instant* I see a FA that I like better he is gone. 

If people are wanting to jump ship on guys like CEH or James Robinson (for whatever reasons), I would consider *trying* to buy low on either. But considering the price people paid, you're probably not getting CEH for much of a discount. But Robinson on the other hand.......I think people are overestimating the likelihood the Jags "upgrade" at the position. 

If people are wanting to jump ship on guys like CEH or James Robinson (for whatever reasons), I would consider *trying* to buy low on either. But considering the price people paid, you're probably not getting CEH for much of a discount. But Robinson on the other hand.......I think people are overestimating the likelihood the Jags "upgrade" at the position. 
I agree on Robinson, it's a smart move to buy him before the draft. One would assume a 1-13 team lacks talent all over the place. There's only one reason to 'upgrade' at one of few position where they have a good player on a cheap contract: stupidity. I always like to assume the people running these football teams aren't stupid until they prove me wrong.

For those in on Coulter, I disagree as a Texans fan. He wasn’t highly drafted, has had plenty of opportunity to climb the depth chart this year, and hasn’t done it. Biggest factor, though, is a new regime is coming and I expect a roster purge if your name isn’t Watson. Buyer beware. 

Who I am stashing:

Donald Parham - I agree here and he’s been on my watch list all season after seeing him in the XFL. Talent is there and, important to me, is he shows flashes with Herbert. The opposite would be someone like Fulgham who’s only shown flashes with Wentz. I like Tyron Johnson on this offense as well for the same reason - rapport with Herbert. CJ Uzomah fits into this group as well because I love the chemistry I saw with Burrow before Uzomah got hurt.

Dede Westbrook - back to back 60 catch seasons but forgotten and injured this year. He probably won’t be in Jacksonville but at least he’s shown value and done it for more than one season. He’s also likely free on your WW. 

Travis Homer - his backfield is packed and his opportunities are here and there when he’s not injured, but when he’s been given chances he has done well. Feels like he started to carve out a 3rd down role even with Carson in there but then got hurt. Carson also cannot stay healthy, so you could do worse in your end of bench young guy. 

IDP

Taron Johnson - made his big splash two weeks ago with the big Int TD against the Steelers but people don’t yet believe him in IDP for some reason. Plays a ton as the nickel corner and scores more than you think

Bryce Hall - starting since week 11, he’s been solid. I think he gets a few more years to prove it and no reason to think the Jets want to spend capital on his position with so many holes elsewhere 

Bilal Nichols - been really hot lately and something tells me he can keep it up and be a good bye week DL starter. I picked him up this morning. 

Tyrell Adams - a little older than others on this list but I’d argue might have been my IDP WW pickup of the year. As a Texans fan. A purge is coming and we need draft picks. The most heard names to trade for picks are our LBs (Cunningham, Mercilus) and Adams gave them one more reason to proceed down that path by being solid this year. 

I really think people get confused when looking at a situation like this...the Jags aren't going to look to upgrade over Robinson but they would be foolish to not upgrade the depth of the position...after Robinson there is literally nothing and with a young QB that is an accident waiting to happen should Robinson go down...now, that doesn't mean they are going to use their second #1 on a RB or spend big money on a free agent because that doesn't make sense but you just can't be surprised if they bring in more talent at the position (i.e. a pick somewhere between 3-6 and/or a steady vet) as well as every other position on offense because that is the smart thing to do when the most important thing for this franchise is doing everything possible to develop their soon to be drafted franchise QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just happened to see Quez Watkins was on the waiver wire in my dynasty league so I grabbed him. Just had a nice catch and run TD against the Cardinals and has blazing speed. It’s not like the Philly WR depth chart is anything to write home about. 

I'll be honest, I was excited to see this thread and now after reading thru what is here I can't say there are more than 2 or 3 names I'm even a little excited about.

I like Vaughn in Tampa but don't love him. Kind of like Guyton. A little blown away with some of the garbage TE names I'm seeing thrown around but I also have no qualm with anyone's stash. No it isn't *free* but I think the risk is zero. 

I stashed Trayveon Williams and Andrew Luck in one league the other day. Didn't really see any other names I was interested enough in.

Got absolutely blasted by leaguemates for taking Luck. In my mind it is like folding the 2-7 in the big blind in poker when nobody has raised it and you can see a flop for free. There is no risk only upside. Except the poker analogy falls apart when you consider that when 2-7-K comes you could get yourself in real trouble. I'm never taking a 0 in my lineup with Luck, though. The *instant* I see a FA that I like better he is gone. 
If you could check into a flop why not raise to represent a big hand. Then strong bet the king. 

Engram is not a FA.
Whoops.  Thanks for the correction. For some reason I noted they were moving on from him but they did pick up the 5th year.

I will say replace Smith with Brycen Hopkins then.  Everett actually is a FA.

I do still want to stash Smith in 2TE formats given that he's flashed a bit and Engram has had the injury bug.  He's an athletic abomination but he did play well as a rookie TE.

I really think people get confused when looking at a situation like this...the Jags aren't going to look to upgrade over Robinson but they would be foolish to not upgrade the depth of the position...after Robinson there is literally nothing and with a young QB that is an accident waiting to happen should Robinson go down...now, that doesn't mean they are going to use their second #1 on a RB or spend big money on a free agent because that doesn't make sense but you just can't be surprised if they bring in more talent at the position (i.e. a pick somewhere between 3-6 and/or a steady vet) as well as every other position on offense because that is the smart thing to do when the most important thing for this franchise is doing everything possible to develop their soon to be drafted franchise QB.
I agree with this.  There is almost zero chance Robinson sees an opportunity share in the 90s again next year.

He's not going to be replaced, but he's likely going to get company.

I agree with this.  There is almost zero chance Robinson sees an opportunity share in the 90s again next year.

I would be more concerned about a FA signing than a rookie. A Marlon Mack, for example. 

I would be more concerned about a FA signing than a rookie. A Marlon Mack, for example. 
I actually worry more about rookies...with a FA you pretty much know what you are getting but with a rookie there are a ton of examples of a rookie who is far superior to where he got drafted...obviously that is far from a definite but my fear in any situation like this is they draft a guy like a Carter from UNC or White from Georgia and they are the real deal.

Oh I agree they will need depth. I just don't think it will impact Robinson the way some think. He isn't going to be getting 95% of touches but he will still be the man. 

My main point is that almost *any* price would be profitable for his potential sellers whereas CEH would probably not come with such a discount. 

If you could check into a flop why not raise to represent a big hand. Then strong bet the king. 
Uh huh. Yes you can do that as well. Not sure how that applies to picking up Luck for *free*. Was just talking about how there is virtually no risk to "seeing the flop".

Yeah I agree as well. But he will still be the man and worth owning. I probably won't be able to buy low on him because I already picked him up everywhere anyway.

As the fantasy season draws to a close, it is time to purge your dynasty roster of some of those veteran handcuffs and spare kickers and defenses, and in their place add some high-upside prospects for 2021.  There are a number of excellent recommendations posted here.  Obviously, many of them are reaches and won't stick on your roster next season, but survey your own league and keep a list assembled.

Here are some of the factors I always consider as I mine for some fantasy gold nuggets:

1.  Consider not only the targeted player's contract situation, but the contracts of other key components of the team.

Here are some key 2021 free agents to take into consideration:  QB  Dak Prescott, QB Mitchell Trubisky, QB Cam Newton, QB Philip Rivers, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, RB Aaron Jones, RB Chris Carson, RB Kenyan Drake, RB Phillip Lindsay, RB Leonard Fournette, RB Todd Gurley, RB Mike Davis, RB Gus Edwards, RB James White, RB Jamaal Williams, RB Marlon Mack, RB Le'veon Bell, RB Matt Breida, WR Chris Godwin, WR Allen Robinson, WR Kenny Golladay, WR Will Fuller, WR Juju Smith-Schuster, WR Corey Davis, WR Marvin Jones, Jr., WR Curtis Samuel, WR Nelson Agholor, WR TY Hilton, WR Sammy Watkins, WR John Ross, TE Hunter Henry, TE Jonnu Smith, TE Gerald Everett, TE Jared Cook, TE Rob Gronkowski, OT Trent Williams, OT Alejandro Villanueva, OT Taylor Moton, OT Russell Okung, G Brandon Scherff, G Joe Thuney, C Corey Linsley

2.  Is there likely to be a coaching or management change on the horizon?

We have already seen Bill O'Brien, Dan Quinn and Matt Patricia released in-season.  What other coaches are on the hot seat, and how will that affect the fantasy values of those teams' players?  Jets' HC Adam Gase could be the next to hit the unemployment ranks, and Anthony Lynn may be hot on his tail.  Was the Bengals' win over Pittsburgh enough to save Zac Taylor's job?  Will Doug Pederson be back in Philly?  How about Doug Marrone in Jacksonville?  Mike McCarthy had a lot of bad luck this season, but will that save his job in Dallas?  Is Matt Nagy’s job safe in Chicago?  How about Vic Fangio in Denver?

Also watch what teams do at General Manager and assistant coaching staffs.  Which assistants are rumored to be candidates for head coaching jobs?

3.  What changes may be coming to the surrounding cast?  Were there players out injured (or who opted out due to COVID) in 2020 who are scheduled to return?  Are there any key players rumored to be considering retirement?  Is the team expected to draft a rookie or sign a veteran player or players who will impact the offense?

As you survey the free agent list, consider likely destinations for players on the move.  Which players were out for 2020, and how will their returns impact other elements of the offense?  Look at some mock NFL drafts, and consider rumors from key NFL insiders who really have their fingers on the pulses of NFL teams.

4.  I also like to look at a player's career trajectory as well as historical trends.  Did a player emerge down the stretch in 2020? 

The rule used to be that wide receivers often did not bloom until year 3, although they often tend to emerge sooner now.  Even so, I am slow to write off a talented wideout coming off a poor rookie campaign.  Tight Ends historically take several years to develop, so don't write them off too early.

While your league mates are out making merry, fill your dynasty Christmas stockings with some potential 2021 breakout prospects!  (Leave them coal!)

Merry Christmas friends!

BearsFan4Life said:
Eto Benjamin
This is an interesting call. He hasn’t played a down this year, so it’s hard to know what he can do. But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t have a prominent role next year if Drake leaves.

Blackbear said:
I think Fulgham drop in production happened when Jeffery came back.  also 

Pederson also made some pointed comments about Fulgham needing to study the nuances of the position more, so I’d assume now that they aren’t strapped for bodies at the position they don’t want to rely on him for whatever reason, at least partially because he’s not living up to their expectations regardless of his raw playmaking ability. Cam Sims went through a similar process the last couple years where it was clear to WAS fans that he could make plays via pure athleticism, but the coaches didn’t trust him for various reasons until injuries forced their hand. 

Didn’t he tear his Achilles? Tough injury to come back from.
Demaryius Thomas came back from it pretty quickly and had a great career. Donta Foreman looks good. Can’t think of any others...
Fair point - there have been a few instances of recovering from a torn Achilles. Even if Mack does recover, however, he’ll still be in the middle of his recovery when free agency starts.

Thus, he may just get a one year prove it deal. Situation is going to matter heavily.

Demaryius Thomas came back from it pretty quickly and had a great career. Donta Foreman looks good. Can’t think of any others...
I don't know that those are especially inspiring examples.  I don't think Thomas did much of anything after his achilles injury, and D'Onta Foreman has never done much in the NFL.

Thomas tore his Achilles in 2011. He returned to have five straight 1K seasons, including 1434 in 2012, 1430 the following year and 1619 in 2014. 
Thanks.  I was thinking it was an achilles injury Thomas had just a couple seasons ago.  I had forgotten it was 2011.  My mistake.  My, how time flies!

Thanks.  I was thinking it was an achilles injury Thomas had just a couple seasons ago.  I had forgotten it was 2011.  My mistake.  My, how time flies!
You may be right, it may have been the same injury that he suffered many years later after he went to Houston. But his initial one was in 2011. 

Jayded said:
Tyrell Adams - a little older than others on this list but I’d argue might have been my IDP WW pickup of the year. As a Texans fan. A purge is coming and we need draft picks. The most heard names to trade for picks are our LBs (Cunningham, Mercilus) and Adams gave them one more reason to proceed down that path by being solid this year. 
Plus McKinney is owed 8.5 million dollars in salary and only has a 1.5 million dollar cap hit. He might be going or restructuring, at least. 

Fair point - there have been a few instances of recovering from a torn Achilles. Even if Mack does recover, however, he’ll still be in the middle of his recovery when free agency starts.

Thus, he may just get a one year prove it deal. Situation is going to matter heavily.
That is why he is a cheap gamble 😉

Donovan People Jones-Starting to show something...not sure what happens between Beckham, FA and the draft but that comes with the turf with stashes.
He's progressed and I doubt OBJ is healthy enough to return at the beginning of next season. 

He may flash if the Browns make the playoffs which will boost interest so the time to stash is now.

I don't know that those are especially inspiring examples.  I don't think Thomas did much of anything after his achilles injury, and D'Onta Foreman has never done much in the NFL.
Thomas tore his Achilles at the start of his career so the majority of his career was after the tear.  Foreman on the other hand has really taken a hit and never really was given much of an opportunity after.  This year they have said he finally is over the injury and back to pre injury form.  

But in general an Achilles tear is a very difficult injury to come back from for positions that need explosiveness to be effective.

He's progressed and I doubt OBJ is healthy enough to return at the beginning of next season. 

He may flash if the Browns make the playoffs which will boost interest so the time to stash is now.
I think Rashard Higgins might be that guy. Not sure about contract status moving forward but I think he’s establishing a bigger role in the offense than Donovan Peoples Jones.

They’ve already been in talks of extending him. I think if he keeps playing well to close out the year he’ll definitely get a contract. 
Good player, just not sure they will devote capital to resign him. Would only make sense if either Landry or OBJ find new homes.

Any reason to pick up Jordan Love as a 'what the heck' in a dynasty league yet with only 18 roster spots?  

Any reason to pick up Jordan Love as a 'what the heck' in a dynasty league yet with only 18 roster spots?  
With only 18 roster spots that seems like a real reach...missed all of this year and Gibson looks legit...not sure how many teams in the league but gotta believe there are better options.

Users who are viewing this thread