What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (14 Viewers)

I think we found the problem: they focus so much on explosive plays that they have no idea what to do when they are in "unexplosive" goal-to-go situations!
Yes, I wonder how often they have scored TDs after having an explosive play? If you don't score then the best an explosive play can do is flip field position.

Uruk-Hai said:
I'll defer to you guys, as I've only seen two Eagles games this year. He doesn't look overmatched to me, is I guess what I'm trying to say. I think a team can win with him if he continues to grow and the Eagles increase their talent level.

I follow the Ravens and had a decade of Joe Flacco. He got a ton of flak because he was limited in some areas (plus he just looks goofy), but he won a crapload of games in both the regular season and the playoffs. 

Plus, I'd give the coaching staff time to grow. I've watched John Harbaugh completely change his coaching philosophy. Coaches, like players, don't necessarily stay the same forever.
This is fair I suppose. Though he certainly looked overmatched in Dallas. But you said a team CAN win with him (if the team grows everywhere else). Can't we say that of most of the best backups? 

The Noid said:
Gannon today: "We don't have a scheme, as a defense."

Also Gannon today: "We're not a dime team" (when asked why they haven't gone to dime, and swap an extra DB for a LB, in obvious passing situations or against teams running 11 personnel).

So, then you do have a scheme; your "scheme" is 2 LB minimum.  :crazy:

Just caught the part where he said: "I like to play out of 4 down [linemen] and 2 linebackers."

Dude, then that's your scheme. And after 4 games you could also make a case that, specifically, inverted cover-2 is their scheme. Puzzling why he (and even Sirianni) keeps trying to convince everyone, and themselves, they don't have a scheme.

Puzzling why he (and even Sirianni) keeps trying to convince everyone, and themselves, they don't have a scheme.
guess they didn't know they had a scheme until they realize they have a scheme. i really really hope it's just growing pains, but boy oh boy Sirianni is much greener than expected. having no veteran presence on the field or the sideline with the parental oversight coming in from this FO. it's not good.

The Noid said:
Gannon today: "We don't have a scheme, as a defense."

Also Gannon today: "We're not a dime team" (when asked why they haven't gone to dime, and swap an extra DB for a LB, in obvious passing situations or against teams running 11 personnel).

So, then you do have a scheme; your "scheme" is 2 LB minimum.  :crazy:
I think it’s just a version of “we’re using guys to the best of their abilities” type of coach speak. He seems to be the guy the media has zero’d in on as if KC hasn’t made better defenses look foolish. 

He should have just said “they’re a matchup nightmare and we don’t have any answers on this roster at the moment.” Any DC is gonna need way more than we have to have any kind of “scheme”

Just caught the part where he said: "I like to play out of 4 down [linemen] and 2 linebackers."

Dude, then that's your scheme. And after 4 games you could also make a case that, specifically, inverted cover-2 is their scheme. Puzzling why he (and even Sirianni) keeps trying to convince everyone, and themselves, they don't have a scheme.
Scheme isn’t necessarily a personal grouping. Most teams have a base, nickel, dime etc. his 4 DL and 2 LBers are just a nickel look. Problem is we don’t have good LBers. We don’t have a Dime because we don’t have a 4th DB to get on the field. 

This is a very similar defense that Indy ran a couple years back. We are a zone defense but we can ONLY run zone because we can’t man up which is what we saw under Swartz a ton and on the long Hill TD at the end of the game. 

renesauz said:
Now....if you wanna argue that teams should NEVER spend a 2nd on a backup, that all 2nd rounders should produce starters....that's a different conversation that would lead you to never draft QB in the 2nd

Yeah if I'm drafting any guy in the 2nd round he should be starting by year 2. The Eagles picked Hurts to back up Carson. Was never suppose to the starter long haul. It was just an overall dumb decision they got to live with now and hopefully they correct it or it corrects itself. Now if the Eagles felt like they had to draft a starting QB I think they would've went a different route then taking Hurts. 

Uruk-Hai said:
I'll defer to you guys, as I've only seen two Eagles games this year. He doesn't look overmatched to me, is I guess what I'm trying to say. I think a team can win with him if he continues to grow and the Eagles increase their talent level.

I follow the Ravens and had a decade of Joe Flacco. He got a ton of flak because he was limited in some areas (plus he just looks goofy), but he won a crapload of games in both the regular season and the playoffs. 

Plus, I'd give the coaching staff time to grow. I've watched John Harbaugh completely change his coaching philosophy. Coaches, like players, don't necessarily stay the same forever.

To be fair to the Eagles as a whole we're rebuilding with a new coaching staff and really don't know what we have. There's a few solid pieces here and there but we have no idea how good the offense or defense is or could be. If we had a stout defense  like Baltimore had in the past or our own defense in the Jimmy Johnson era Id say roll with Hurts for now but if we have the opportunity to upgrade QB we shouldn't pass on that either. 

Problem here is we are rebuilding in general. Just from talking to people there's a majority who don't see Hurts as the guy to lead this franchise going forward and it sound like the coaching staff will have say if it is Hurts or not. We'll see after this year what happens. However having watched Hurts since he was a freshman I'm cautiously optimistic he changes at all. It'd be great if he does turn out well because if we do end up with 3 high 1st rounders next year we can use those to make a couple of impact draft picks and upgrade other needs 

Bigboy10182000 said:
And we all want progress from Hurts, I think we can all agree on that. Obviously the sample size is small but it’s progress nonetheless:

Jalen Hurts attempted 148 passes last year: 

52% Completion, 1061 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs, 6.8 AY/Attempt 

Jalen Hurts has attempted 145 passes so far this year: 

66.2% Completion, 1167 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 8.4 AY/Attempt 

Only 23 years old.

How many of those completions are over 5-10 yards though? We got receivers putting up a ton of RAC do to their ability and speed too. 

guess they didn't know they had a scheme until they realize they have a scheme. i really really hope it's just growing pains, but boy oh boy Sirianni is much greener than expected. having no veteran presence on the field or the sideline with the parental oversight coming in from this FO. it's not good.

I'm starting to think the names we had interested in the bigger ones all turned it down because of a certain someone still present and it's not the owner. Watching last nights game I really loved the Brandon Staley dynamic with Herbert though. 

Scheme isn’t necessarily a personal grouping. Most teams have a base, nickel, dime etc. his 4 DL and 2 LBers are just a nickel look. Problem is we don’t have good LBers. We don’t have a Dime because we don’t have a 4th DB to get on the field. 

This is a very similar defense that Indy ran a couple years back. We are a zone defense but we can ONLY run zone because we can’t man up which is what we saw under Swartz a ton and on the long Hill TD at the end of the game. 

Yeah I think it's more the fact we just don't have the right personal yet to run the full scheme and I think Gannon is trying to be professional in that regard while not making any of the defensive players look bad or throw them under the bus publicly. 

Yeah I think it's more the fact we just don't have the right personal yet to run the full scheme and I think Gannon is trying to be professional in that regard while not making any of the defensive players look bad or throw them under the bus publicly. 
Also - this is Gannon's first DC job. Like it or not we went with a ton of inexperienced coaches across the roster - meaning he has never had to adjust his own defensive scheme in season when sub-par players get exposed. So - yea, a few games like this are to be expected. (Remember when we fired Sean McDermott because he wasn't perfect right from the start? Yea, that aged well.)

Rookie HC and rookie DC?  Yea, no kidding there's growing pains. Going panik mode after a bad game isnt where I'm at.  Let's see at the end of the season if we're making progress. Maybe we should have hired vets? But we didn't.  So here we are - even with veteran coaches we werent making the Super Bowl, and probably not the playoffs.  So let's see how all these young players and coaches grow.

Although I'm lol'ing at the wikipedia for him..  who wrote this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Gannon

Deploying an update to Philadelphia Eagle defensive coordinator legend Jim Johnson's "bend but don't break" approach, Gannon theorizes that by both bending and breaking, he can lull offenses into a false sense of security. Once the opposing team reaches a lead of 30 points or more, they may play second or even third stringers, allowing a slim chance that with the right combination of onside kicks and garbage time points, the Eagles might lose by 15 or less. It is entirely possible that against other NFC East teams, this strategy may even result in outright victory.

Good luck with that.

Honestly don't get why they are letting him go. Parsons looked awful in week 1 vs TB and they moved him to DE because of the injury to Lawerence. I know they have Cox who I believe is a much better LB then Parsons and had he gone to D1 his whole college career I think he'd have been a top 20 pick. Granted I don't know the status of the other LBs right now but even in preseason I was a bit curious why Dal would release Smith. I know they overpaid the guy but it's not like they are gaining anything $$ wise here 

I mean... you've seen who we're currently trotting out there, right?

Jaylon Smith is a ok player. He does try very hard. He is positive to a fault. He hits hard. If he gets his hands on you - youre getting tackled for sure. Im not sure Ive ever seen him miss a tackle when he makes contact. 

With all that said, he is constantly in the wrong position. He does not have any ability to change directions. He lacks the speed to cover.. well anyone. The long runs you have seen the Cowboys give up can be attributed solely to Jaylon not having gap integrity. 

He's never been in trouble. He has worked incredibly hard to come back from a MAJOR injury. In all honesty, he should have been dragging his leg behind him the rest of his life and instead he worked hard enough to get back to a (almost) NFL caliber player. 

I wish him the best but I would be ecstatic if any of the NFC east teams signed him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://mobile.twitter.com/geoffperry24/status/1443187175298899971?s=10

This same thing happened all last year and he was given a pass because of Covid, and that the scheme was too hard for him to learn that quick, he needed more practice, etc. Now this year the whole Dallas D has bought in and improved 100% but Smith just wasn’t getting it. Hey I was a fan, even gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he just doesn’t get it. He’s always chasing the play for 5-10 yards instead of filling the gap and making plays. He’s the exact opposite of Sean Lee. Rumor is that it wasn’t even Jones or McCarthy who cut him...  it was Quinn the DC! That should speak volumes on how bad he was. 

Jaylon Smith is a ok player. He does try very hard. He is positive to a fault. He hits hard. If he gets his hands on you - youre getting tackled for sure. Im not sure Ive ever seen him miss a tackle when he makes contact. 

With all that said, he is constantly in the wrong position. He does not have any ability to change directions. He lacks the speed to cover.. well anyone. The long runs you have seen the Cowboys give up can be attributed solely to Jaylon not having gap integrity. 

He's never been in trouble. He has worked incredibly hard to come back from a MAJOR injury. In all honesty, he should have been dragging his leg behind him the rest of his life and instead he worked hard enough to get back to a (almost) NFL caliber player. 

I wish him the best but I would be ecstatic if any of the NFC east teams signed him. 
Just posting the same thing basically. Great person, less than average football player. 
And yes, please Giants or Eagles sign him.😬

https://mobile.twitter.com/geoffperry24/status/1443187175298899971?s=10

This same thing happened all last year and he was given a pass because of Covid, and that the scheme was too hard for him to learn that quick, he needed more practice, etc. Now this year the whole Dallas D has bought in and improved 100% but Smith just wasn’t getting it. Hey I was a fan, even gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he just doesn’t get it. He’s always chasing the play for 5-10 yards instead of filling the gap and making plays. He’s the exact opposite of Sean Lee. Rumor is that it wasn’t even Jones or McCarthy who cut him...  it was Quinn the DC! That should speak volumes on how bad he was. 
Fortunately the Eagles have no scheme, so he should be perfectly fine.

“In an incredibly surprising move, the Patriots have released Stephon Gilmore.”

Also sight unseen 

He should have just said “they’re a matchup nightmare and we don’t have any answers on this roster at the moment.”
Wilson and Singleton in coverage when targeted (overall, not just against KC): 35 attempts, 30 completions, 272 yards, 4 TDs. You really don't have a 6th DB you would trust over making either of those guys cover a WR or TE in 3rd and long or passing situations? 4th rounder Zech McPherson? Mac McCain who you poached from Denver to put on the 53? Andre Chachere who you used a waiver claim on? 

Wilson and Singleton in coverage when targeted (overall, not just against KC): 35 attempts, 30 completions, 272 yards, 4 TDs. You really don't have a 6th DB you would trust over making either of those guys cover a WR or TE in 3rd and long or passing situations? 4th rounder Zech McPherson? Mac McCain who you poached from Denver to put on the 53? Andre Chachere who you used a waiver claim on? 
You make a good point, but, man that is really a Sophie’s Choice situation. Just highlights how poor the drafting has been for the last several years.

I feel safe assuming the answer is an obvious “no”. Also it depends on the offenses personnel as well as where you are in the field. 

Take the Tyreek Hill TD where he was “lined up on a LBer”. This is obviously a zone defense and you can get away with using a LBer (in some cases) since the windows are small. Also keeping a LBer on the field helps if they check to a run, which is what they surly would have done if we used our 6th DB. It’s a lose-lose. Ideally you have an athletic, rangy LBer who you feel comfortable enough with to zone it up there or an in the box Malcom Jenkins type. We have neither. 

Making lemonade out of lemons is one thing. The media is expecting lemonade out of motor oil 4 games into a season where our key addition was Stephen Nelson like 5 weeks ago. This guy needs more time and talent. 

And Wilson is graded as the dead last LBer in the league primarily because he’s last in run stopping. So dead last in run stopping in addition to those pass #’s. That’s what we are working with as a starter lol

I know you have a hard on when it comes to bashing Parsons, so I’ll let that go

But you have no idea what you’re talking about with this part either
Yeah, they gain 9.6 million next year by cutting him now. He was only playing 56% of the plays, and doing it badly. Time to go.

As far as DJax10 constantly bashing Parsons, it’s part of his schtick, and it’s so off that it’s actually pretty entertaining to read. (Mini Stephen A Smith) 😂. Same with his constant Hurts bashing, who looks improved and gaining attention from DC’s as a threat. 
 I know Lane Johnson is not probably as knowledgeable about Eagles and football as DJax cousins, co worker once removed, but Lane must respect Parsons skills quite a bit💪🏼

Lane asked to swap jerseys after the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nittanylionswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/28/micah-parsons-had-a-fantastic-monday-night-football-debut-vs-the-eagles/amp/

Yeah, they gain 9.6 million next year by cutting him now. He was only playing 56% of the plays, and doing it badly. Time to go.

As far as DJax10 constantly bashing Parsons, it’s part of his schtick, and it’s so off that it’s actually pretty entertaining to read. (Mini Stephen A Smith) 😂. Same with his constant Hurts bashing, who looks improved and gaining attention from DC’s as a threat. 
 I know Lane Johnson is not probably as knowledgeable about Eagles and football as DJax cousins, co worker once removed, but Lane must respect Parsons skills quite a bit💪🏼

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nittanylionswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/28/micah-parsons-had-a-fantastic-monday-night-football-debut-vs-the-eagles/amp/
Djax hates Penn State with a passion. Almost as much as he hates the Sixers. 

Next year was guaranteed against injury also 

Lane Johnson’s status is still unknown for this week as well. The fact that we haven’t heard anything via kind of concerning. I hope it’s nothing bad. 
Saw a report that he returned from “handling his personal situation in Oklahoma” so whatever it was, it either had something to do with family or something about him that occurred while there previously (maybe he had to turn himself in?) The latter is the kind of thing that would still make him questionable for this week if, say, a suspension or benching is expected  :oldunsure:

Saw a report that he returned from “handling his personal situation in Oklahoma” so whatever it was, it either had something to do with family or something about him that occurred while there previously (maybe he had to turn himself in?) The latter is the kind of thing that would still make him questionable for this week if, say, a suspension or benching is expected  :oldunsure:
It would be hard to hide if he did something. Police reports, nosey people wanting to leak a story, something would come out. This is probably his family. Harder to get that info. 

Sorry I don't respect clowns who get in fights and try to choke teammates and then the University who already has a black eye on cover ups covers it up. Sounds like a perfect fit for Dal though. How this school didn't get the death penalty of college football is beyond me.

Former Parsons teammate files report that PSU covered up Parsons choking him plus hazing including sexual harassment by multiple players. Defendant Pulled a knife on Parsons in fear of his life

Also lane isn't a smart guy. Claiming he didn't realize what he was taking was a banned substance? Really dude? 

Much as it's become the thing to do....bashing the recent Eagles Drafts that is....there seem to be some nice additions the last year or two. Gainwell might be one of THE SODs

Could honestly see a case where if we are dead by the deadline Miles gets trade or traded in the offseason. Signed through only next year and Eagles haven't been known to sign RBs to a hefty contract extension. Gainwell looks like he's more liked by this staff for some reason 

Someone needs to ask Sirianni "What are you going to do differently about the penalties?" because I'm tired of hearing "we're working on cleaning those up, holding guys accountable, blah, blah, blah" but after 4 weeks obviously none of it is working. 

The constant platitudes, clichés, and coach-speak from him, and also from Hurts, is wearing thin. Having a "dawg mentality" isn't the solution to tangible problems, no more than "thinking positive" is a way to treat cancer. Sure, an attitude or mindset is healthy and good, but it's meaningless without radiation or chemo to actually fix the problem.

How's this? 

Nick Sirianni had a “long-hard meeting” with the #Eagles team in which he did “more yelling and screaming than ever before.” per @JeffSkversky

It sounds like Dallas got their balls back. It's gonna be funny when they are one and done in the playoffs. NFC will be a brutal path to the Super Bowl.

I'm starting to warmup a bit to this dumpster fire we are in. At the end of the day this is Howie's team. He's the one who created this ####show. What's interesting is besides the large dead money guys Devonta Smith is only player guaranteed to be here next year. IMO everyone from Howie all the way to the towel boy is on the hot seat. 

In Philly accent news, based on my observations at the games and on sports radio Javon Hargrave is being incorrectly called "Javon Hargrove" by the majority of fans instead of (shockingly) "Javon Hargaves". 

I'm starting to warmup a bit to this dumpster fire we are in. At the end of the day this is Howie's team. He's the one who created this ####show. What's interesting is besides the large dead money guys Devonta Smith is only player guaranteed to be here next year. IMO everyone from Howie all the way to the towel boy is on the hot seat. 
Why wouldn't Gainwell, Milton Williams, Quez or Mailata be here?  :confused:  

Roseman's first pick back in charge after the Chip Kelly era was Carson Wentz. Signing Wentz to a massive second contract has proven far more costly (the Eagles have a $33.8 million dead-money hit in 2021, per Over The Cap) than moving up to select him second overall, as Wentz contributed significantly to a Super Bowl title and two other playoff teams. The picks Philadelphia traded away for Wentz, however, left the team with a smaller margin for error that Roseman didn't sufficiently compensate for with quality selections. The next-best picks since 2016 include Dallas Goedert, Miles Sanders, Avonte Maddox and Derek Barnett. Roseman deserves credit for an Eagles roster that was loaded from 2017 to '19, but it wasn't because of recent drafts.

Source: https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manager-power-rankings-nfl-draft-edition

Users who are viewing this thread