What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (15 Viewers)

Really don't get you anymore dude. You use to be one of the cooler people here and now you sound like a grumpy old man. 
Because you simply can't help yourself bashing the Sixers. 95 percent of your posts in the basketball thread are about a team you don't even like. And now you just brought a basketball player up in here when it was simply not necessary. So yes, maybe try to keep your posts in this thread about the Eagles and not about your Sixers hate, bragging about how bad Ben Simmons is, and about what kelce's sister's boyfriend buys at the grocery store. Keep it eagles man. 

Eagles vs Falcons observations

1. Matt Ryan has been sacked 131 times over the last three years, or once every 15 dropbacks, and that’s the 7th-highest percentage in the league. You can get to the 36-year-old Ryan, and the Eagles have to pressure him and sack him and hit him and make him move his feet Sunday afternoon in Atlanta. The Eagles will try to generate pressure with their edge rushers, but the biggest mismatch in this game is d-tackles Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargrave vs. the interior of the Falcons’ offensive line – guards Colby Gossett and Chris Lindstrom and center Matt Hennessy. Gossett has started four games in his career and hasn’t played since 2018 with Arizona, and Hennessy, a one-time Temple Owl, is a second-year pro who started two games as a rookie. Lindstrom is solid, but overall the Eagles have a huge advantage with the interior of their line against the Falcons’ front. They’re going to need to take advantage of it if they’re going to get out of Atlanta with a win.

2. Jalen Hurts already has the 5th-most career games in NFL history with 300 passing yards and 50 rushing yards with two – 338 and 63 at Arizona and 342 and 69 at Dallas. And he’s started four games in his life.

3. Only four Eagles have ever had 50 receiving yards in their first career game. DeSean Jackson was 6-for-106 against the Rams on opening day 2008, Bryce Treggs of all people was 2-for-69 (including a 58-yard catch) against the Giants in his first game midway through 2016 (and had only 90 more yards the rest of his career), Jalen Reagor caught a 55-yard pass in last year’s opener vs. Washington and tight end Jason Dunn caught a 54-yarder in the 1996 opener, also vs. Washington. If DeVonta Smith doesn’t move onto that list Sunday I’ll be shocked.

4. The Eagles are not a young team. They have plenty of young players in key roles, but according to figures on Spotrac, their average age – 26 years, 3 months – puts the Eagles squarely in the middle in the pack, 16th oldest roster in the NFL. What’s really interesting is that among players signed for 2022, they average 27 years, 4 months, which makes them 5th-oldest. That’s because so many of their younger players are on one-year deals or the last year of their deal, while their older veterans are on long-term contracts. That’s not a problem now, but the Eagles really need a high percentage of their 2020 and 2021 draft picks to blossom this year both for financial reasons – rookie contracts are cheap – and for competitive reasons, so the roster doesn’t get too old next year.

5. The one stat that translates the most to winning is turnover margin. The Eagles have been minus-6 or worse 24 times in franchise history and had a winning record in just two of those seasons. They’ve been plus-6 or better 24 times and had a winning record in 18 of those seasons. It's huge. Over the last three years, the Eagles are minus-19 (6th-worst) and last year they were minus-10 (4th-worst). Protect the ball and take away the ball and you’re going to win games. Will be interesting to see if the Eagles can improve in those two areas under a new staff. 

6. It’s remarkable that nine years after Andy Reid last coached a game for the Eagles, half of the team’s six captains – Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham and Jason Kelce – are Andy Reid draft picks. The biggest thing Big Red brought to this franchise was an emphasis on both lines, and a decade after they were drafted, Cox, Graham and Kelce remain the heart of this football team three coaches later. 

7. Can Miles Sanders rush for 800 yards with at least a 4.5 yards per carry average and 25 receptions? I don’t see why not. If he does, he’ll become the first running back in 60 years to begin his career with three straight seasons of 800 rushing yards, a 4.5 average and at least 25 catches. The only back who’s ever done that is Abner Hayes of the Dallas Texans from 1960 through 1962. 

8. Was wild watching safety Andrew Adams in a Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniform Thursday night just 10 days after he was on the practice field at the NovaCare Complex wearing an Eagles uniform. The Eagles made a curious decision to release Adams last week after a decent training camp, especially with Rodney McLeod out to start the season. The Bucs signed Adams to their practice squad, but he was a game-day elevation and when the Bucs got a double d-backs banged up, he was forced into action and wound up making three tackles, including a huge solo stop for a one-yard loss on Ezekiel Elliott on a 3rd-and-goal from the Bucs’ 2-yard-line in the third quarter, maybe the defensive play of the night for the Bucs. That stuff forced the Cowboys to kick a field goal and was a huge moment in a game the Bucs eventually won. We’ll see how Marcus Epps does starting in place of McLeod Sunday in Atlanta, but I didn't understand the Eagles releasing Adams at the time, and he didn’t do anything Thursday night to change my mind.

9. Adams’ performance when he wasn’t even expected to play is exactly the sort of thing Sirianni had in mind when he emphasized to his players that everybody in uniform Sunday – starter, sub, 53, practice squad elevation – has to be ready to go from the opening kickoff on. Because it’s easy for backups to just assume they’re not going to have a role, but you never know how a game is going to play out, especially early in the season when you see guys cramping up as they play more reps than they have since last season. “You’ve always got to be ready in Game 1,” Sirianni said. “Even if it's five plays, you’ve got a role. If it's five plays, go play those five plays like you need to and be a star in your role.”

10. The greatest opening-day play in Eagles history was the onside kick to open the game in Dallas in 2000. It was 109 degrees at kickoff, and Andy Reid was banking on the Cowboys being so distracted by the extreme heat they wouldn’t be quite ready. He was right. Akers hit a perfect kick, Dameane Douglas recovered, and the Eagles went on to rout the 6-point favored Cowboys 41-14, their worst home loss in 11 years and their 2nd-worst opening-day loss ever. But that onside kick was about more than one game or one season. It was a message from a young, unheralded Eagles team that they had arrived and they were ready to take on the best teams in the league. The Cowboys over the previous eight seasons had won six NFC East titles and three Super Bowls and reached the playoffs all but once, while the Eagles had won just 14 games over the three previous seasons, hadn’t won a playoff game in five years (and just two in the last 20 years) and hadn’t won an NFC East title in 12 years. That game was really a symbolic changing of the guard. The Cowboys didn’t win another playoff game for nine years – and have won just three in the last 20 years. But the Eagles took off from there, going 11-5 that year, reaching the playoffs five straight years (and nine of 11), reaching five NFC Championship Games in eight years and winning the NFC East five of the next six years. And it all began with an improbable onside kick on the hottest day in NFL history.

The only way this week could go any better is if the Giants lose. Demolished the Falcons, Dline dominated, Hurts looked good, Smith and Reagor caught TDs, Dallas and WFT lost, and Wentz played the whole game but Colts lost. 
It's been so long since we had some good stuff happen 

The only way this week could go any better is if the Giants lose. Demolished the Falcons, Dline dominated, Hurts looked good, Smith and Reagor caught TDs, Dallas and WFT lost, and Wentz played the whole game but Colts lost. 

Don't we want Indy to make the post season though? I thought one of the ways was making the postseason play %

DJackson10 said:
Don't we want Indy to make the post season though? I thought one of the ways was making the postseason play %
Not really. Wentz needs to play 75% of snaps (playoffs or not), or  70% and they make the playoffs. 

So we want him to play a lot and have them lose so we get the pick and it’s high. 

In a game with MANY encouraging things, I think the most was how the Defense adjusted. Haven’t seen an Eagles defense be that nimble in a long time. Always late to adjust, if ever at all. 

The Noid said:
Don't forget we want the Pats to beat the Dolphins.

In a game with MANY encouraging things, I think the most was how the Defense adjusted. Haven’t seen an Eagles defense be that nimble in a long time. Always late to adjust, if ever at all. 

Yeah that was pretty good. looks like we'll be playing a multiple Zone Defense with a 4-3 base of some sort. 

Listened to the game on the way to Daytona. Great first game other than all the false starts from the O line. That #### needs to stop.

We could've had a sh8tty day like WFT did Literally. FitzMagic got hurt and they had a sewage leakage at the stadium dump on fans and they lost 

I feel like our O-line and D-line got better as the game went on. Ridley disappeared after that first drive. I'm curious if Slay ended up mirroring Ridley.

Brandon Graham's hit on Davis - https://streamable.com/81wyc5

Jordan Mailata's block to spring Reagor for the TD - https://streamable.com/43ix2t

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with how composed both Hurts and Smith were. They both came out extremely focused. At the beginning of the game I mentioned to my oldest son about their dead eye stare on the sidelines. Like a boxer getting ready for the fight. He said that Smith was always like that. Takes the game seriously. I'm getting excited about our offense.

Defense it looked like we played a base 4-3 most of the game. I wish the TV broadcast would let you see the defense adjustments at the snap but it seems like we are more about disguising the defense inside base formations. Could be interesting. Ryan had no deep targets in the 2nd half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to keep my expectations in check. Atlanta is bad, like really bad. What this game confirmed for me is that they aren't the worst team in the division *cough*Giants*cough* and not the 5 win team people have been predicting. Was concerned about the run defense in the preseason games, but was hoping that was just the not game planning. Now hoping the beginning of this game wasn't a sign of things to come and they can adapt. Hurts was better than expected, still had a few questionable decisions, but overcame them with his athleticism. Just stay healthy, please!

On the one hand, it’s great to see our 2nd round WR (J. J.) has finally found his grove and is a key contributor. On the other, he’s found it as a special teams ace and a blocker on screens and runs. 

The Noid said:
And, the Giants do their part! The only thing that didn’t go our way was Miami winning. 

I mean - yea, Atlanta's defense is not great.  But Hurts completed 77 % of his passes, threw 3 TD’s with no INTs, passed for 264 yards and rushed for 62 yards.  Those are terrific stats no matter what defense you're playing against.  We're not crowning him, but that is so much better then anything we saw last year.

And I dont know that Hurts accuracy increased.  What I saw were a lot of high percentage passes being called. There were some passes deeper - and those were still hit or miss.  But a lot of easy passes to get guys in space.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes they got no gain. But it was an effective offense, and didnt ask Hurts to do more then he could.

Its top-10 OT money. 

$64m wow. Good for him. Hope he performs. 

I think it's awesome.   Dillard is gone I guess

guy definitely deserves it. has made chump change so far, and the guy has devoted everything to get better. great story of a player and glad he is signed for at least another 3-4 years. hope he gets another one, but that is a good signining in case it goes south in a bit

I feel like our O-line and D-line got better as the game went on. Ridley disappeared after that first drive. I'm curious if Slay ended up mirroring Ridley.

Brandon Graham's hit on Davis - https://streamable.com/81wyc5

Jordan Mailata's block to spring Reagor for the TD - https://streamable.com/43ix2t

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with how composed both Hurts and Smith were. They both came out extremely focused. At the beginning of the game I mentioned to my oldest son about their dead eye stare on the sidelines. Like a boxer getting ready for the fight. He said that Smith was always like that. Takes the game seriously. I'm getting excited about our offense.

Defense it looked like we played a base 4-3 most of the game. I wish the TV broadcast would let you see the defense adjustments at the snap but it seems like we are more about disguising the defense inside base formations. Could be interesting. Ryan had no deep targets in the 2nd half.
awesome post. i had to miss most of the game for the kid today, and heard about that Mailata truck. Love that he is plying and have to think the other guys love to see him out there making plays like that 

On the one hand, it’s great to see our 2nd round WR (J. J.) has finally found his grove and is a key contributor. On the other, he’s found it as a special teams ace and a blocker on screens and runs. 
i'll add one more, and that is no big injuries, especially to any OL. Wonderful to be able to see Brandon Brooks in at least 2 games this year.

also can add that Jaelon Raeger showed some today and is not going to be called a complete bust again for a bit. Sure Jefferson wil likely have a better career, but happy for Raegor if he can be a competent WR2 at least

I also don't know if we can hold onto Jonathan Gannon for too long. that dude has the defense clicking, and i would love for the Eagles to find a way to hold onto him for at least a few years. but he has the makings of a head coach and will certainly be wanted by some teams

Users who are viewing this thread