What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (1 Viewer)

We need to move past this national tragedy and allow the country to mourn ... Nate Sudfeld playing in the 4th quarter of a meaningless week 17 game. 

This will be funny to rid in 9 months when we can't even remember what this was about.

Spoke to one of the writers this morning who got back to me on McLane's report 

"He's been wrong on a lot of things in the past and is generally regarded as a blowhard. But what the players think is irrelevent because they played like ##### this year"

Number one thing I hope they are addressing, is why we are so bad at getting WR's involved in this offense. Agholor in the past, now Reagor, JJaw, you name it. Our leading WR had ~500 yards. In today's NFL, that does not cut it. Maybe it's the WR talent - and yes, I think we should draft Chase if we can.  But there is no way that's all it is. Damiere Byrd, a 5' 9" undrafted FA thats bounced around the league for 5 years and plays for New England, should not have more yards then anyone on our team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Number one thing I hope they are addressing, is why we are so bad at getting WR's involved in this offense. Agholor in the past, now Reagor, JJaw, you name it. Our leading WR had ~500 yards. In today's NFL, that does not cut it. Maybe it's the WR talent - and yes, I think we should draft Chase if we can.  But there is no way that's all it is. Damiere Byrd, a 5' 9" undrafted FA thats bounced around the league for 5 years and plays for New England, should have more yards then anyone on our team.
good question, and i would love to know how much of it is dependent on Carson. Looking when foles got in, he spread the ball around well. Carson did do a nice job with fulgham for that short period of time, but that was when Ertz was out. Hurts did seem to spread the ball around well and not focus on anyone, so i wonder if that will help the WR growth (not over-estimating it, but i wonder if Hurts was our QB all year, and JJAW played in every game, if we would have seen good results from him)

good question, and i would love to know how much of it is dependent on Carson. Looking when foles got in, he spread the ball around well. Carson did do a nice job with fulgham for that short period of time, but that was when Ertz was out. Hurts did seem to spread the ball around well and not focus on anyone, so i wonder if that will help the WR growth (not over-estimating it, but i wonder if Hurts was our QB all year, and JJAW played in every game, if we would have seen good results from him)
I think I read something earlier in the season, maybe something involving Greg Cosell, that showed that the blame was probably spread amongst everybody. The offensive line play was terrible and not giving Wentz a lot of time to throw the ball. The play calling never really adapted to that to give Wentz earlier developing passing options. Everything was routes that took too long to develop. And when guys WERE breaking open, Wentz was slow to pull the trigger, had happy feet, and was bailing too soon at times. Wentz seems like he lost the ability to read a defense pre-snap, trust his reads, and make the quick throw.

Assuming Howie and Doug are staying, my apathy will be high. Jumping on the Bills bandwagon for this postseason, and wouldn't mind Andy or Rogers getting another ring, aside from that the Flyers start in a week. I fear the 2021 Eagles = *fart noise*

kind of strange, but i know it was mentioned on the other thread that Brandon Graham knew Sudfeld would play and had no issue with it. Apparently Miles Sanders is saying kind of the opposite:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925550-eagles-miles-sanders-nobody-liked-the-decision-to-bench-jalen-hurts-vs-wft

Funny how this is such a news story. i guess it is because the regular season is over so they are searching for NFL stories. I saw one article about coaching changes, (2 i guess. 1 with Lesly being let go, the other with Garrett is interviewing somewhere for a coaching position) and am seeing like 5-7 articles about this issue with the eagles

You'd think they'd be pressing Doug and Howie more on the alleged reports of Carson wanting a trade. Or you know possibly trying harder to get a word with Carson himself on his stance? No? Just want to pretend the integrity of the game was violated because Nate Sudfeld played a quarter in a week 17 game. 

Sounds about typical of media in general today. Push a nonsense story to drive up outrage while ignoring the actual issues that need to be addressed.

As I see the stories about the players being angry, I cant help but remember seeing all the fans who were defending the low integrity move for a few spots in the draft. 

Doug is about to get the kick, no way he can survive this after that season as well. He made his players look bad in an obvious fashion on SNF. They were in that game, he lost it, not the players.
The players were doing their part. Did you see Jalens pass in the end zone on 4th down?

I’ve seen enough of Hurts I think.  He needs to make a *massive* leap in being able to see the field and work through a progression to be more than a backup.  This game was full of more late throws and not seeing open players. 

Just so I’m out all negative, he threw a nice out route to Reagor, a sideline breaking route that he threw with anticipation, and the play where he hit JJAW down the middle was a legit NFL QB play.  WFT zone blitzed the slot CB, Pryor was slow to see it, Hurts climbed the pocket and made a nice throw.

There’s just too much bad, and for a guy who came out of 2 major college programs with these limitations, it’s likely this is just what he is.

I’ve seen enough of Hurts I think.  He needs to make a *massive* leap in being able to see the field and work through a progression to be more than a backup.  This game was full of more late throws and not seeing open players. 

Just so I’m out all negative, he threw a nice out route to Reagor, a sideline breaking route that he threw with anticipation, and the play where he hit JJAW down the middle was a legit NFL QB play.  WFT zone blitzed the slot CB, Pryor was slow to see it, Hurts climbed the pocket and made a nice throw.

There’s just too much bad, and for a guy who came out of 2 major college programs with these limitations, it’s likely this is just what he is.
He can certainly grow but I don't think his ceiling is nearly as high as people are making him out to be. Hoisting all these expectations on him like this and we're going to have a Hoying-Kolb situation again. I think he can be an NFL starter but not for a playoff contender. More like a Michael Vick Lite (without the canon arm). Makes some razzle dazzle plays with his legs. Has some good throws here and there but the body of work shows that he's just an average QB. 

kind of disagree, but the nice thing is we may be able to see the answer by September. 

In no way do i think Hurts is the franchise QB at this point, but he has certainly earned a chance to try and prove it (particualry with his low cap number). I think it is a big deal that he came in without much of a pre-season, and almost all the reports during the season were that Carson was taking close to 100% of practice reps. You can also see in the games that have followed, particularly in the game against Washington, he doesn't really have a QB coach. Press Taylor spent almost the whole game with Carson and Sudfeld, and didn't really speak with Jalen much at all during the game. could be a ton of reasons why this was the case (and could be the sport media drawing up more storylines), but i think the kid deserves some coaching and attn. to see how far he can progress. 

Considering how well Doug coached Foles for that '17 season, you have to think with them retaining Doug that there is potential Doug could make the offense work for Jalen. People have been making a big deal out of Hurts' week 17 game, but we also have to remember how bad some of his weapons looked. there were a few dropped passes, and he was throwing to a lot of back-up players. Another factor that should be weighed in is the fact that he had Toth and Pryor as his OTs against that top DL from Washington. 

all in all, i think the Eagles should give Jalen a chance. Now if their scouts see something special and unique with the top QB prospects and they happen to have a chance at 6 I would be fine with them grabbing that guy. If not though, there isn't any reason you can ride out this salary cap hell the Eagles have built with a QB at such a small salary cap hit. 

Looking around the league at starting QB's, we need to remember that you have guys like Ryan Tannehill and Kirk Cousins performing as top QB's. I don't know if they have had exceptional development or what, but I would think Hurts is comparable to the top 15 QBs in the league right now. 

Doug is about to get the kick, no way he can survive this after that season as well. He made his players look bad in an obvious fashion on SNF. They were in that game, he lost it, not the players.
No way Doug was doing that rouge. If he was worried about losing his job he would have been going all out to win. What he did only helps the organization, it doesn't help Doug. NOT doing it would have more likely cost him his job. This was Jeff/Howie saying, "That's a nice draft pick we have there. It would be a real shame if something happened to it" and Doug taking the dive. 

There is absolutely no way the Eagles should draft a QB at 6 in this draft. Not after how badly they screwed up the Carson situation with Hurts.

We need playmakers. We have 2 potential QBs on the roster already. One that has proven he can do it but had 1 bad year and the other is a rookie who had some good moments and some bad moments. We need top tier talent around them and coaching that will utilize it. 

As much as I think the fake outrage about integrity of the game is a joke, if it leads to Doug being fired, I wouldn't be sad. I think we need a new voice. If that means Doug has to go, sobeit. I'd prefer just adding an OC and QB coach who know what they're doing and have a plan but I will take shaking it up anyway they can. 

Is it safe to assume Sudfeld is gone after his 4th qtr performance? He did not look comfortable. This is such a good draft for QBs maybe a good developmental player would be available on day 3.

Is it safe to assume Sudfeld is gone after his 4th qtr performance? He did not look comfortable. This is such a good draft for QBs maybe a good developmental player would be available on day 3.
Didn’t you hear?  He’s going to start somewhere next year. 😂

kind of strange, but i know it was mentioned on the other thread that Brandon Graham knew Sudfeld would play and had no issue with it. Apparently Miles Sanders is saying kind of the opposite:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925550-eagles-miles-sanders-nobody-liked-the-decision-to-bench-jalen-hurts-vs-wft

Funny how this is such a news story. i guess it is because the regular season is over so they are searching for NFL stories. I saw one article about coaching changes, (2 i guess. 1 with Lesly being let go, the other with Garrett is interviewing somewhere for a coaching position) and am seeing like 5-7 articles about this issue with the eagles
Even the announcers knew well beforehand that Nate was going to play. Miles is becoming one of those guys that appears to not think much before he speaks either. He’s 100% a Hurts guy

kind of disagree, but the nice thing is we may be able to see the answer by September. 

In no way do i think Hurts is the franchise QB at this point, but he has certainly earned a chance to try and prove it (particualry with his low cap number). I think it is a big deal that he came in without much of a pre-season, and almost all the reports during the season were that Carson was taking close to 100% of practice reps. You can also see in the games that have followed, particularly in the game against Washington, he doesn't really have a QB coach. Press Taylor spent almost the whole game with Carson and Sudfeld, and didn't really speak with Jalen much at all during the game. could be a ton of reasons why this was the case (and could be the sport media drawing up more storylines), but i think the kid deserves some coaching and attn. to see how far he can progress. 

Considering how well Doug coached Foles for that '17 season, you have to think with them retaining Doug that there is potential Doug could make the offense work for Jalen. People have been making a big deal out of Hurts' week 17 game, but we also have to remember how bad some of his weapons looked. there were a few dropped passes, and he was throwing to a lot of back-up players. Another factor that should be weighed in is the fact that he had Toth and Pryor as his OTs against that top DL from Washington. 

all in all, i think the Eagles should give Jalen a chance. Now if their scouts see something special and unique with the top QB prospects and they happen to have a chance at 6 I would be fine with them grabbing that guy. If not though, there isn't any reason you can ride out this salary cap hell the Eagles have built with a QB at such a small salary cap hit. 

Looking around the league at starting QB's, we need to remember that you have guys like Ryan Tannehill and Kirk Cousins performing as top QB's. I don't know if they have had exceptional development or what, but I would think Hurts is comparable to the top 15 QBs in the league right now. 
Every single negative in his scouting reports coming into the draft were glaring when he played. He was a guy that needed years on the bench before maybe being anything. 

You appear to really love him despite the flaws becoming more and more glaring every week. His tape is BAD, his arm is BAD,  VERY simple reads are given to him and he still fails. He is by all accounts and purposes a gimmick QB. Listening to Howie and Doug the other day they barely seemed positive about him at all. 

While I agree the lack of off season hurt young guys he had nearly the entire season to practice and learn. I also agree the coaching can be better but coaching and practice can only get you so far. To say he’s comparable to guys like Cousins or Tannehill or top 15 is absolutely insane. He is at or near the bottom of every single passing category there is.  I wish and hope I’m wrong that he ends up great but as it stands on 1/5/20 he has played like the worst QB in football by any account.

Didn’t you hear?  He’s going to start somewhere next year. 😂
Sad this is prior to last week his last meaningful game he played really well and I think he set a completions in a row record that year or something. We even have him a 2nd round tender lol

Report: Wentz still hoping to work out differences with Eagles

Carson Wentz is hopeful he can work things out with the Eagles, according to an Associated Press story.

According to an anonymous source in an AP story by Rob Maaddi on Tuesday, Wentz “needs time away” to consider his future with the Eagles and “is hopeful it won’t end in divorce.”

This contradicts an ESPN report Sunday by Chris Mortensen also quoting anonymous sources that Wentz’s relationship with the Eagles is “fractured” and that he’s expected to ask for a trade this offseason and will help facilitate the trade, presumably with financial concessions.

The AP story characterizes Wentz’s relationship with the Eagles as “strained” and said Wentz plans to meet with head coach Doug Pederson “when the time is right.”

Pederson benched the struggling Wentz for rookie Jalen Hurts in the third quarter of the Eagles’ Week 12 game against the Packers. Wentz didn’t play again the rest of the season.

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said on Monday the team hasn’t had any conversations about trading the 28-year-old Wentz.

“That is not anything that we’re talking about right now,” Roseman said. “We’re talking about a guy that’s immensely talented and has great work ethic and doing whatever we can to put him in the best possible situation to be successful.” 

Wentz threw 81 touchdowns and 21 interceptions, completed 64 percent of his passes and had a 98.3 passer rating in 40 starts from 2017 through 2019. He had 16 TDs, 15 INTs and completed 57 percent of his passes this year. His final 72.8 passer rating was lowest by a former Pro Bowler in his 20s in 25 years.

Wouldn't it be awful if chase or devonta is there and they decide to take another player from the west coast no one has ever heard of?   I would seriously lose my mind if they do that again
Worse if they draft another QB. I think I wouldn't watch them for the year.

To say he’s comparable to guys like Cousins or Tannehill or top 15 is absolutely insane
Yeah, I would like to know the 17-20 QB’s he thinks Hurts is better than? Maybe he will be one day, but based on what we’ve seen so far I’m thinking he’s in the bottom 5-7. Especially if you don’t go by quarterbacks who are about to retire, but even if you do then I would think those teams would likely draft or bring in a better project than what Hurts has shown so far. Philly will have to think long and hard on what to do with Carson. Do they want to put their eggs in the Hurts basket? I think you trade Carson, draft another QB and make that your competition in training camp. I can’t see Wentz willing to compete for it so avoid the drama. Won’t be any between Hurts and the new guy I would think if it’s handled better.

Hes really good
He has been a good find.  He's been very good in pass pro, but he struggles to get to, and make blocks at the 2nd level in the run game.  Seems obvious to say he needs to lose weight, but maybe he needs to lose weight?

This is why you play the kids, sometimes they turn out better than you expect.

He has been a good find.  He's been very good in pass pro, but he struggles to get to, and make blocks at the 2nd level in the run game.  Seems obvious to say he needs to lose weight, but maybe he needs to lose weight?

This is why you play the kids, sometimes they turn out better than you expect.
But if he loses weight maybe he loses what he's good at?  Maybe perfect where you fit at?   I think he's doing fine where he is

I got more out of this today. It sounds like there was miscommunication on When or if Sudfeld was coming in. Initial plan was insert Nate after the half. For some reason Doug kept Hurts in there way longer. No one knows why. Kelce went up to Doug in a very professional way as he was a little confused by the decision and asking what changed, if someone gave him wrong info etc. There seems to be more of an issue of upset with the plan then Doug really taking Hurts out. I think with the circumstances when Hurts was taken out also didn't help. 

Also everyone I've talked too have said the physical altercation where 2 Defensive players had to be held back was utter BS and it's just McLane being a jack wagon as usual. He still hates the team after he got kicked out of the press box for punching Les Bowen a awhile back. 

I'm not sure whats worse the Wentz hate or people liking Hurts because "He makes it fun to watch again". I've seen enough of these guys who "Make it fun to watch" to know these guys aren't winning Super Bowls. You want fun to watch go root for KC and Mahomes, Buff with josh Allen or Aaron Rodgers that is fun to watch for me. Yes I was a huge Randal Cunningham fan growing up but since then every team in the NFL is trying to chase and find the next Randall that will never happen nor come close. The reason Randall was so successful was he was ahead of his time as an athlete when the league defensively had a lot of slower Dline and LBs. A Luke Kueckly back then would've a terror in the league and god like. The athletes have become better and can no easily defend those QBs. But the league is such a copy cat league. Saw a comment today "I don't know why people said Hurts was bad he had 2 rushing TDs that helped." Thankfully someone told him because Hurts sucked at the main job he was suppose to do and thats throw the football. 

This isn't me saying Hurts is that sort of guy. I just don't think he's much of a QB in the NFL. He's ceiling is way low. I'd prefer if we could sucker some team into giving us a 2nd round pick for Hurts. Maybe a team has a big time starter QB wise go down and take a chance on Hurts in a similar Tebby B Situation in Minny. Give us a 1st or 2nd for Hurts. I'd take it and run. I like the kind character and personality wise but that doesn't make up for his lack of Football talent at the position he was drafted for. 

Gonna stop ya on the bolded for a min. I've heard Foles got it mostly from Reich and DeFilipo. Doug was more of a bystander. He saw Foles struggling and told these two guys to fix it. Foles whenever he's asked about it complements Frank Reich a lot more then he does Doug too. 

I'm not sure whats worse the Wentz hate or people liking Hurts because "He makes it fun to watch again". I've seen enough of these guys who "Make it fun to watch" to know these guys aren't winning Super Bowls. You want fun to watch go root for KC and Mahomes, Buff with josh Allen or Aaron Rodgers that is fun to watch for me. Yes I was a huge Randal Cunningham fan growing up but since then every team in the NFL is trying to chase and find the next Randall that will never happen nor come close. The reason Randall was so successful was he was ahead of his time as an athlete when the league defensively had a lot of slower Dline and LBs. A Luke Kueckly back then would've a terror in the league and god like. The athletes have become better and can no easily defend those QBs. But the league is such a copy cat league. Saw a comment today "I don't know why people said Hurts was bad he had 2 rushing TDs that helped." Thankfully someone told him because Hurts sucked at the main job he was suppose to do and thats throw the football. 

This isn't me saying Hurts is that sort of guy. I just don't think he's much of a QB in the NFL. He's ceiling is way low. I'd prefer if we could sucker some team into giving us a 2nd round pick for Hurts. Maybe a team has a big time starter QB wise go down and take a chance on Hurts in a similar Tebby B Situation in Minny. Give us a 1st or 2nd for Hurts. I'd take it and run. I like the kind character and personality wise but that doesn't make up for his lack of Football talent at the position he was drafted for. 
I think Hurts is fine as a backup.  In that context as long as we get some offensive movement I don't care if it's ugly.  Just go 2-2 if the starter is out for 4 games and you've done your job.  

For me though, QB scrambles and designed runs have to be seen as a complement to passing ability, not a substitute for it.  That's what Hurts is though, bad passer, good runner.  That's not a starting QB.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Report: Wentz still hoping to work out differences with Eagles

Carson Wentz is hopeful he can work things out with the Eagles, according to an Associated Press story.

According to an anonymous source in an AP story by Rob Maaddi on Tuesday, Wentz “needs time away” to consider his future with the Eagles and “is hopeful it won’t end in divorce.”

This contradicts an ESPN report Sunday by Chris Mortensen also quoting anonymous sources that Wentz’s relationship with the Eagles is “fractured” and that he’s expected to ask for a trade this offseason and will help facilitate the trade, presumably with financial concessions.

The AP story characterizes Wentz’s relationship with the Eagles as “strained” and said Wentz plans to meet with head coach Doug Pederson “when the time is right.”

Pederson benched the struggling Wentz for rookie Jalen Hurts in the third quarter of the Eagles’ Week 12 game against the Packers. Wentz didn’t play again the rest of the season.

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said on Monday the team hasn’t had any conversations about trading the 28-year-old Wentz.

“That is not anything that we’re talking about right now,” Roseman said. “We’re talking about a guy that’s immensely talented and has great work ethic and doing whatever we can to put him in the best possible situation to be successful.” 

Wentz threw 81 touchdowns and 21 interceptions, completed 64 percent of his passes and had a 98.3 passer rating in 40 starts from 2017 through 2019. He had 16 TDs, 15 INTs and completed 57 percent of his passes this year. His final 72.8 passer rating was lowest by a former Pro Bowler in his 20s in 25 years.
You want to know a great way to make it all better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30658668/alabama-crimson-tide-wide-receiver-devonta-smith-wins-heisman-trophy%3fplatform=amp

I think Hurts is fine as a backup.  In that context as long as we get some offensive movement I don't care if it's ugly.  Just go 2-2 if the starter is out for 4 games and you've done your job.  

For me though, QB scrambles and designed runs have to be seen as a complement to passing ability, not a substitute for it.  That's what Hurts is though, bad passer, good runner.  That's not a starting QB.
Great analysis last few posts, I think you nailed it. 

Users who are viewing this thread