What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Rookie Dynasty Position Rankings (1 Viewer)

socrates

Footballguy
I will combine my rankings later, but for now, here are my top 5 at each position:

QB:
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
Justin Fields, Ohio State
Zach Wilson, BYU
Trey Lance, North Dakota State
Mac Jones, Alabama

Trevor Lawrence at the top is an easy call, and Mac Jones was clearly #5 for me, but 2-4 are somewhat interchangeable.  

RB:
Najee Harris, Alabama
Travis Etienne, Clemson
Javonte Williams, North Carolina
Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis
Michael Carter, North Carolina

The top 3 are as set as the top tier (in some order) as they can be for early February.  After that, you could present a solid case for about a half dozen RBs to go in that next tier.  

WR:
JaMarr Chase, LSU
Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
DeVonta Smith, Alabama
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
Rondale Moore, Purdue

Like at QB, 2-4 are almost interchangeable.  I went with Waddle ahead of Smith, but I am already having mixed feelings about ranking Smith so low.

TE:
Kyle Pitts, Florida
Pat Freiermuth, Penn State
Brevin Jordan, Miami
Hunter Long, Boston College
Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss

I feel good with the top 3, but after that, there are a number of solid prospects jockeying for position.

Who do you have for your top 5 at each position?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice list.

I have Marshall ahead of Moore. I have Waddle fifth. Moore was sixth for me. 

The Wr list should be top ten because it seems so much quality there this year. 

Pretty much exactly how I see them also (though I'm not solid on the TEs).

Very nice job.

Will look forward to the combined list.

As an NDSU grad myself, I want to believe in Lance. His athletic ability really is terrific and the ball just jumps off his hand.

But he played at the 4A level in Minnesota (it goes up to 6A) so he's small school. I don't think he went to any of the passing academy stuff like top QBs sometimes do. And he has one season experience at the FCS level.

He's at least one year away and more likely two or even three.

I don't do rankings anytime soon, but the one name I'll add for now is Trey Sermon. I get why I may not end up ranking him anywhere near that high, but with the right situation/draft capital I'd talk myself into a number as high as 3.

Michael Carter top5 is spicy
Carter will likely be limited by his size, and he admittedly may drop down my board, but other backs who I considered for this spot also have limitations (Chuba Hubbard is built slight and is a liability in pass pro, Trey Sermon looks like JAG, Khalil Herbert had a late breakout age and does not run through contact well, and Jermar Jefferson relies too much upon his speed . . .).  Carter could offer a team a Gio Bernard change-of-pace type of back, and, in PPR, he could prove valuable. The more I go back and watch Carter's game tape, the more impressed I am, and, as a bonus, he looked like the best RB at the Senior Bowl.  

I don't do rankings anytime soon, but the one name I'll add for now is Trey Sermon. I get why I may not end up ranking him anywhere near that high, but with the right situation/draft capital I'd talk myself into a number as high as 3.
Trey Sermon checks most of the boxes, but nothing about his game really stands out to me.  Still, I agree, in the right situation, Sermon could put up respectable numbers.  There really are no glaring deficiencies to his game, and he came on strong late before suffering an early injury in the Championship game.

As an NDSU grad myself, I want to believe in Lance. His athletic ability really is terrific and the ball just jumps off his hand.

But he played at the 4A level in Minnesota (it goes up to 6A) so he's small school. I don't think he went to any of the passing academy stuff like top QBs sometimes do. And he has one season experience at the FCS level.

He's at least one year away and more likely two or even three.
I have seen Lance much higher than my QB4, and I get it:  his natural ability is exciting.  My concern is as you say, how long before he turns that vast potential into NFL production?  He could have really used 2020 to further develop.  Lance not only has an incredibly high ceiling, but, with his running ability, even his floor is high.  He could ascend up this list quickly.

Very nice list.

Marshall has the size/speed combination that sets him apart from most of the other prospects in this class.  I debated putting him ahead of the oft-injured Moore.  Marshall's ceiling is very high.

Very nice list.

Yeah, it gets much more difficult to put together a longer list this early, but, for fun, here is my current top 25 (go easy on me, it is very preliminary)!

WR:
JaMarr Chase, LSU
Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
DeVonta Smith, Alabama
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
Rondale Moore, Purdue
Terrace Marshall, LSU
Kadarius Toney, Florida
Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC
Tamorrion Terry, Florida State
D’Wayne Eskridge, Western Michigan
Elijah Moore, Mississippi
Nico Collins, Michigan
Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
Marquez Stevenson, Houston
Anthony Schwartz, Auburn
Dyami Brown, North Carolina
Chatarius Atwell, Louisville
Seth Williams, Auburn
Amari Rodgers, Clemson
Simi Fehoko, Stanford
Jaelon Darden, North Texas
Damonte Coxie, Memphis
Shi Smith, South Carolina
Austin Watkins, UAB

Marshall has the size/speed combination that sets him apart from most of the other prospects in this class.  I debated putting him ahead of the oft-injured Moore.  Marshall's ceiling is very high.
As is Williams. But Williams tape comes off a bit raw... routes and sloppy play when he knows it isn’t his route. 

I think I still like his frame and contested catching. Needs crisp up route and intricate areas to be a legit pro. 

I do have a good grade on Wallace. For the opposite reason, seems pro ready routes.

I was surprised to not see Olave on your list... then saw he is waiting a year I guess. 

Yes, it is early. Sadly, there won’t be a combine to compare on same field, at same time, etc...

Awesome list Socrates!

Have not started to seriously evaluate rookie prospects yet, but Elijah Moore might rise sharply on draft boards if he gets drafted into a quality slot WR situation.  Seattle, KC, and Green Bay would all be dreamy landing spots, and Pittsburgh and Indy could be solid too.

Just popping in to say that I appreciate this list. I might have Dyami Brown higher on the list. That's the only thing that jumps out at me in terms of criticism. Otherwise, it's a great exercise. Thanks for posting.

Carter will likely be limited by his size, and he admittedly may drop down my board, but other backs who I considered for this spot also have limitations (Chuba Hubbard is built slight and is a liability in pass pro
I've got Hubbard higher than most. I think his 2,000 yard season was no fluke and that a lingering injury this year held him back. It's hard to play with a touchy hammy. Yes, he doesn't have the densest build and runs like a finesse runner, but that breakaway speed...

Hard to pass up for me.

Just popping in to say that I appreciate this list. I might have Dyami Brown higher on the list. That's the only thing that jumps out at me in terms of criticism. Otherwise, it's a great exercise. Thanks for posting.
Agreed. I don't think I could justify > 7th, but I see a scenario I put him that high. 

I've got Hubbard higher than most. I think his 2,000 yard season was no fluke and that a lingering injury this year held him back. It's hard to play with a touchy hammy. Yes, he doesn't have the densest build and runs like a finesse runner, but that breakaway speed...

Hard to pass up for me.
Also, agreed. I'm likely more willing to bet Chuba's 2020 was the outlier than one of the likely committee backs like Carter or Herbert breaks free. 

Also, agreed. I'm likely more willing to bet Chuba's 2020 was the outlier than one of the likely committee backs like Carter or Herbert breaks free. 
Hoping he falls to the second in ours. I think the problem might be name recognition. Somebody might be chomping at the bit for him.

Have not started to seriously evaluate rookie prospects yet, but Elijah Moore might rise sharply on draft boards if he gets drafted into a quality slot WR situation.  Seattle, KC, and Green Bay would all be dreamy landing spots, and Pittsburgh and Indy could be solid too.
Good call.  Moore reminds me a bit of Steve Smith.  Small but scrappy.  I have him at 12 on my board right now, but he is definitely on my list of targeted players for my dynasty draft.  I agree that he could move up draft boards quickly.

I think you are right.  I really do have Dyami Brown too low. 

Hard to pass up for me.
I do love Hubbard's speed.  I contemplated him at RB-5, but he checks in just below Carter on my board for now.  I tend to get mesmerized with the speed, but I love the tape on Carter.

I think you are right.  I really do have Dyami Brown too low. 
Heh. rockaction - the draft expert™ (that picked Henry Ruggs III 1.06 in this year's rookie draft). I was just going off of consensus and who I see getting profiled, really. That and watching the highlights of these guys. Brown's were good -- also his height, weight, and breakout age all check out as very good, and he's been getting profiled above some of the others.

I do love Hubbard's speed.  I contemplated him at RB-5, but he checks in just below Carter on my board for now.  I tend to get mesmerized with the speed, but I love the tape on Carter.
I fully do. I was going to target Journey Brown in all my drafts this year until they discovered his heart condition and he was forced to retire. But I'm a sucker for breakaway speed and speed scores. I love to cite Football Outsiders's work on speed scores and their relation to predicting NFL success (or if not predictive, at least exclusionary for really slow backs) for backs.

I fully do. I was going to target Journey Brown in all my drafts this year until they discovered his heart condition and he was forced to retire. But I'm a sucker for breakaway speed and speed scores. I love to cite Football Outsiders's work on speed scores and their relation to predictive NFL success for backs.
Ha!  I am still looking for the next Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson!

You could be right.  However, on-field performance matters, and Hubbard disappointed this season, while Carter and Herbert made good on their opportunities.  As much as I want to like Hubbard even more, and as a pure runner he is exciting, there are some very real deficiencies to his game.  Hubbard has immense potential, but unless his NFL relocation program lands him in a pretty favorable offense to grow, I worry Hubbard may never fulfill the promise we once held for him.

You could be right.  However, on-field performance matters, and Hubbard disappointed this season, while Carter and Herbert made good on their opportunities.  As much as I want to like Hubbard even more, and as a pure runner he is exciting, there are some very real deficiencies to his game.  Hubbard has immense potential, but unless his NFL relocation program lands him in a pretty favorable offense to grow, I worry Hubbard may never fulfill the promise we once held for him.
For starters, I think there is a significant difference between running for 2,100 yards aged 20 than 1,200 yards aged 23ish. Can't find Herbert's age on the internet (must have scrubbed it), but he is a grad transfer. 

For starters, I think there is a significant difference between running for 2,100 yards aged 20 than 1,200 yards aged 23ish. Can't find Herbert's age on the internet (must have scrubbed it), but he is a grad transfer. 
Most definitely.  I do have Chuba Hubbard as RB-6 on my board, and several spots ahead of Herbert (age 23, born Nov 21, 1997).  I have concerns about Herbert even beyond his age, but he put himself squarely on the draft radar with an impressive season.  Hubbard has fallen out of top 3, but he is still one of the more exciting talents in this RB class.  I strongly considered Hubbard ahead of both Kenny Gainwell and Michael Carter, but they are both intriguing prospects as well, and I am basing my rankings on PPR scoring.  There is still a long way to go before the draft, and on-campus workouts will shake up draft rankings.  Chuba Hubbard is almost certain to test well.  He has the kind of speed scouts salivate over, and for good reason.  

Most definitely.  I do have Chuba Hubbard as RB-6 on my board, and several spots ahead of Herbert (age 23, born Nov 21, 1997).  I have concerns about Herbert even beyond his age, but he put himself squarely on the draft radar with an impressive season.  Hubbard has fallen out of top 3, but he is still one of the more exciting talents in this RB class.  I strongly considered Hubbard ahead of both Kenny Gainwell and Michael Carter, but they are both intriguing prospects as well, and I am basing my rankings on PPR scoring.  There is still a long way to go before the draft, and on-campus workouts will shake up draft rankings.  Chuba Hubbard is almost certain to test well.  He has the kind of speed scouts salivate over, and for good reason.  
I think Gainwell and Carter have skill sets that make them substantially less bust risks in the NFL. Even if they hit the middle-low end of their projection they still should be capable complimentary options. The difference I see between them and Chuba for our sakes is fantasy upside. If Chuba hits then he's an every week starter in our game. If Gainwell and Carter hit then their every week playability in our game...is not known. Gainwell and Carter could be Ekeler (yes!) or they could be Hines (a headache) - it completely depends on the makeup of his team and usage from his coaching staff.

Which one is the better gamble? A better question for the end of April. Cause I feel good about their range of potential outcomes, but its application to draft capital and destination when assembling the board...notsomuch.

Also, Jermar Jefferson, who socrates pretty much introduced me to, is being touted today by RotoUnderworld as a mid-first, if I'm reading my Twitter feed correctly. That's going out there...I sure don't think so. Or hope not. I thought, again, a second rounder would get him. I guess it depends on where he goes, what the situation is. Jefferson has about a fourth-round draft grade from most places.

Interesting.

Assuming PPR...

QB

1. Trevor Lawrence
  2. Zach Wilson
  3. Justin Fields
  4. Mac Jones
  5. Trey Lance
  6. Kyle Trask
RB

1. Najee Harris
  2. Travis Etienne
  3. Javonte Williams
  4. Michael Carter
  5. Chuba Hubbard
  6. Kenneth Gainwell
  7. Trey Sermon
  8. Demetric Felton
  9. Khalil Herbert
WR

1. Ja'marr Chase
  2. Jaylen Waddle
  3. DeVonta Smith
  4. Tylan Wallace
  5. Rondale Moore
  6. Terrace Marshall
  7. Amon-Ra St. Brown
  8. Rashod Bateman
  9. D'Wayne Eskridge
  10. Kadarius Toney
TE

1. Kyle Pitts
  2. Pat Freiermuth
  3. Kenny Yeboah
  4. Hunter Long
  5. Brevin Jordan
  6. Nick Eubanks
  7. Tommy Tremble

Also, Jermar Jefferson, who socrates pretty much introduced me to, is being touted today by RotoUnderworld as a mid-first, if I'm reading my Twitter feed correctly. That's going out there...I sure don't think so. Or hope not. I thought, again, a second rounder would get him. I guess it depends on where he goes, what the situation is. Jefferson has about a fourth-round draft grade from most places.

Interesting.
From a skills/traits perspective, I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference between Jefferson and Hubbard.

Nice list. Are people ready to start voting on these upcoming rookies if I start doing the polls now?

I dont think I am quite ready but if enough of you are I could get them started.
I always look forward to your rookie polls, and the discussion that ensues greatly impacts my own rankings.  I am guessing it is still early, but I cannot wait!

From a skills/traits perspective, I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference between Jefferson and Hubbard.
MAC, I'm not either. It'll really come down to who gets draft capital invested in them and where they go. I just think mid-first is really high for either of them.

Nice list. Are people ready to start voting on these upcoming rookies if I start doing the polls now?

I dont think I am quite ready but if enough of you are I could get them started.
I'm not. Many more roads to travel, highlights and film to watch. But those are great threads, as socrates said.

Mid first what? Rookie dynasty pick? I think anyone who does that is crazy. 
That's what I thought. I could have really read the Twitter feed wrong, but it said Jefferson mid-first and Dyami Brown (that name again) mid-2nd. I'll try and find the link.

I think Gainwell and Carter have skill sets that make them substantially less bust risks in the NFL. Even if they hit the middle-low end of their projection they still should be capable complimentary options. The difference I see between them and Chuba for our sakes is fantasy upside. If Chuba hits then he's an every week starter in our game. If Gainwell and Carter hit then their every week playability in our game...is not known. Gainwell and Carter could be Ekeler (yes!) or they could be Hines (a headache) - it completely depends on the makeup of his team and usage from his coaching staff.

Which one is the better gamble? A better question for the end of April. Cause I feel good about their range of potential outcomes, but its application to draft capital and destination when assembling the board...notsomuch.
I think you hit the nail on the head.  When it comes time for fantasy drafts, I am probably swinging for the fences and taking the player who could conceivably be an every-down starter.  As you say, draft capital and draft destination will play a huge role in shaping our final rankings.

Here's the tweet.

the podfather

@Fantasy_Mansion

·

1h

podfather planting flags on jermar jefferson (mid-first) and dyami brown (mid-second). fight me.

I'm not participating in those anymore, but I intend to read and comment in the threads. I don't think I gain anything from doing rankings before the draft, so I stopped doing it.

Here's the tweet.

the podfather

@Fantasy_Mansion

·

1h

podfather planting flags on jermar jefferson (mid-first) and dyami brown (mid-second). fight me.
If Hubbard lands in the ideal situation then maybe I'd consider a 9-12 first round pick. But the top eight definitely does not include Hubbard, IMO.

Assuming PPR...

QB

1. Trevor Lawrence
  2. Zach Wilson
  3. Fields
  4. Jones
  5. Lance
  6. Trask
RB

1. Najee Harris
  2. Travis Etienne
  3. Javonte Williams
  4. Michael Carter
  5. Chuba Hubbard
  6. Kenneth Gainwell
  7. Trey Sermon
  8. Demetric Felton
  9. Khalil Herbert
WR

1. Ja'marr Chase
  2. Jaylen Waddle
  3. DeVonta Smith
  4. Tylan Wallace
  5. Rondale Moore
  6. Terrace Marshall
  7. Amon-Ra St. Brown
  8. Rashod Bateman
  9. D'Wayne Eskridge
  10. Kadarius Toney
TE

1. Kyle Pitts
  2. Pat Freiermuth
  3. Kenny Yeboah
  4. Hunter Long
  5. Brevin Jordan
  6. Nick Eubanks
  7. Tommy Tremble
Great list!

I think you hit the nail on the head.  When it comes time for fantasy drafts, I am probably swinging for the fences and taking the player who could conceivably be an every-down starter.  As you say, draft capital and draft destination will play a huge role in shaping our final rankings.
Yeah, I'm in total agreement on this. Why do I want to take a chance on a guy that is a change of pace guy from the beginning when I could take a chance on an early-down and potentially three-down guy?

If Hubbard lands in the ideal situation then maybe I'd consider a 9-12 first round pick. But the top eight definitely does not include Hubbard, IMO.
I think I'm just as surprised Jefferson is there in his tweet. Jefferson, like I mentioned before, is getting 4th/5th round grades for the NFL Draft. That doesn't correspond to your typical 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, or 1.7 range, does it? I guess if you really believe in the situation, but that looks more like mid-2nd to me.

I'm all for you doing these this week, and then starting over as soon as the first batch is done.  Repeat.  I love them to see player movement, even if I don't have much to comment on.  Thanks!

For the sake of discussion, and since I posted my very preliminary top 25 dynasty wideouts, here are my top 25 dynasty PPR RB rankings.  Again, this is extremely preliminary, and for several players I have watched nothing more than a few highlights here and there.  There is still lots of work to be done, but any discussion will hopefully help shape our early rankings . . .

RB:
Najee Harris, Alabama
Travis Etienne, Clemson
Javonte Williams, North Carolina
Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis
Michael Carter, North Carolina
Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State
Jermar Jefferson, Oregon State
Trey Sermon, Ohio State
Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma
Khalil Herbert, Virginia Tech
Javian Hawkins, Louisville
Demetric Felton, UCLA
Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana
Jaret Patterson, Buffalo
Larry Rountree III, Missouri
Kylin Hill, Mississippi State
Jah-Maine Martin, North Carolina A&T
Rakeem Boyd, Arkansas
Chris Evans, Michigan
Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky
Josh Johnson, UL-Monroe
Gerrid Doaks, Cinicinnati
Pooka Williams Jr., Kansas
JaQuan Hardy, Tiffin
Spencer Brown, UAB

I think I'm just as surprised Jefferson is there in his tweet. Jefferson, like I mentioned before, is getting 4th/5th round grades for the NFL Draft. That doesn't correspond to your typical 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, or 1.7 range, does it? I guess if you really believe in the situation, but that looks more like mid-2nd to me.
If you squint, you can see Dalvin Cook. But yeah I'm guessing I am higher on him than consensus and he won't get drafted before 1.10 barring some insane landing spot stuff.

I'm a little higher than most on Javian Hawkins.  The knocks on him are his size and passing catching ability.  I'm not sure he can't catch.  I just don't think scheme allowed it much.  None of their backs caught many passes.  I guess that's what happens when you have Atwell and Fitzpatrick at WR.

Users who are viewing this thread