What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tonight on Hannity...Woka-cola...hate crime shmate crime (1 Viewer)

The race-must-be-central-to-everything school of thought has existed for a while
I think this video is well done.

I also think that math is pretty much the quintessential subject that it makes no sense to racialize.

The way history is taught, I think a good case can be made that there's generally too much emphasis on Western European stuff and not enough on the rest of the world. That certainly was the case when I was in school. There's no need to frame it in terms of "white supremacy." But there's a real issue there that is ripe for addressing.

With math, though? Come on.

Yeah, anyone who thinks word problems depend on prior life experience is missing the point of math.

Also, I don't remember any word problems in geometry. Does that mean geometry doesn't require anti-racist reform?
You're saying there's no cultural bias possible in math word problems? What about vocabulary differences for those who have only learned English recently?

I speak Spanish but I'm not a native speaker.  I've also taken graduate level courses in math.  I guarantee that I would preform worse on a math test in Spanish than I would in English.  Heck, it might even just be in the instructions on how to answer. 

You're saying there's no cultural bias possible in math word problems? What about vocabulary differences for those who have only learned English recently?

I speak Spanish but I'm not a native speaker.  I've also taken graduate level courses in math.  I guarantee that I would preform worse on a math test in Spanish than I would in English.  Heck, it might even just be in the instructions on how to answer. 
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Obviously, you need to speak English to do word problems that are in English.

But you don't need any special cultural familiarity with anything. "There are five Diana Ross albums, each containing eight songs. How many songs are on those albums in total?" "There are five fleets, each containing eight yachts. How many yachts are in those fleets in total?" "There are five splugicians, each containing eight paitoques. How many paitoques are in the splugicians in total?"

All of those are equivalent. Culture doesn't enter into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

or english?

The assurances were correct and remain so. What you have here are anecdotes, so extreme that the minute they happen they get wild attention and huge backlash and a lot of play in right wing media. But are they representative of real change in our society or something to truly fear? Not even close. 
Pretty sure I just witnessed 3 years of high school track races in my son’s conference where guys who looked like college WR’s were dusting young girls.  That wasn’t an anecdote.

Not to mention cancel culture, censorship, taking down statues and changing school names - not just Confederates but Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln.  That #### is real. And it scares the bajesus out of people. 

As to the topic, I think any time words are involved there is gray area, so it’s worth looking into to make sure there aren’t any biases.  Heck, I just had a rather intelligent guy in here tell me that my statement “UMass students have been trying to get rid of the Minutemen nickname for several years” was incorrect because the last 2 documented attempts in 1993 and 2003 weren’t recent enough.  Words these days mean different things to different people.

Under the section "dismantling white supremacy in the classroom" in the toolkit.

We see white supremacy can show up in the classroom when the focus is on getting the "right" answer.

Yes they actually put "right" in quotes. 
The heading of the "right answer" section is actually "How can I facilitate deeper understanding?"

The content says instead of focusing on the "'right' answer" you should focus on "Choose problems that have complex, competing, or multiple answers." and "Engage with true problem solving." 

The content is suggesting to teach/grade on how students understand the processes not on getting the right answer. They are addressing the lazy teaching practices of multiple choice questions and teaching to standardized tests.

There are reasons this is included in addressing racism, but those aren't really important to be honest. I don't have any problem with the specific suggestions in this section. Math education in America leaves a lot to be desired, and the policies of Bush Jr. which over time have been stripped down, overturned and thrown in the garbage are a big reason for it.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Obviously, you need to speak English to do word problems that are in English.

But you don't need any special cultural familiarity with anything. "There are five Diana Ross albums, each containing eight songs. How many songs are on those albums in total?" "There are five fleets, each containing eight yachts. How many yachts are in those fleets in total?" "There are five splugicians, each containing eight paitoques. How many paitoques are in the splugicians in total?"

Not exactly.  A disadvantaged kid might not have ever heard the word "yacht" or "fleet" before, and might spend some time or mental energy thinking about what that could mean.  Whereas a kid that has a different cultural experience can synthesize the words quickly and move to abstract the math equation without spending energy wondering how to even pronounce the word, "yacht". Could make the difference in finishing the exam and not finishing the exam. 

This is a fake and extreme example but it would be more like saying “Fatguy played nine holes and had one bogey, two double bogeys, 4 triple bogeys, and 5 quadruple bogeys.  How many strokes over par was he?”

ETA: I’m just responding to the discussion I’ve still been too lazy to read through that thing but I’m pretty sure it ain’t about word problems. Weird that you guys are so focused on that.

ETA2: Arnold and Willis were onto this word problem stuff more than 30 years ago:

https://youtu.be/q6eajRFCI5U

ETA3: I just realized that I said I played nine holes but then I gave 12 scores that’s how tricky these word problems are!!!

This is a fake and extreme example but it would be more like saying “Fatguy played nine holes and had one bogey, two double bogeys, 4 triple bogeys, and 5 quadruple bogeys.  How many strokes over par was he?”
Are there any non-fake examples along those lines? If so, I agree that they should be weeded out.

Actually it’s the exact definition of an anecdote. 
And you keep discounting them as if people's REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE doesn't count.  It does.

For some reason, you think .0004% of the population counts but a bunch of guys the other end of the spectrum are just anecdotes and therefore are not worthy.  Makes no sense.

😆 you’re right. But it really did happen!
I believe you. Most anecdotes are true. 

But they’re also notable because they’re rare. Otherwise they wouldn’t be notable. Let me offer you an example from the other side: all school shootings are anecdotes. Now personally I happen to believe in certain mild and reasonable gun control laws. But if somebody reacts to school shootings and says “our schools aren’t safe, we need gun control l!” they’re reacting to rare occurrences that have no bearing on whether or not our schools are safe, and whether or not more  gun control would make them more safe. 

And you keep discounting them as if people's REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE doesn't count.  It does.

For some reason, you think .0004% of the population counts but a bunch of guy son the other end of the spectrum are just anecdotes and therefore are not worthy.  Makes no sense.
I don’t believe that a minority, no matter how small, should be discriminated against. I’m cognizant that the attempts to treat them fairly can lead to some unfair results, particularly in athletics. I’m confident there is a way around this. 

I don’t believe that a minority, no matter how small, should be discriminated against. I’m cognizant that the attempts to treat them fairly can lead to some unfair results, particularly in athletics. I’m confident there is a way around this. 
NO ONE - and I mean NO ONE - is saying they should be discriminated against.  So you can throw that right out the window.

What you're doing is allowing an EXTREME minority to dictate to the majority for which amounts to INEQUALITY for women.  I don't know how you can justify that thinking.  Why aren't you rooting for Women - who make up 50% of the population (not .0004%)?

The heading of the "right answer" section is actually "How can I facilitate deeper understanding?"

The content says instead of focusing on the "'right' answer" you should focus on "Choose problems that have complex, competing, or multiple answers." and "Engage with true problem solving." 

The content is suggesting to teach/grade on how students understand the processes not on getting the right answer. They are addressing the lazy teaching practices of multiple choice questions and teaching to standardized tests.

There are reasons this is included in addressing racism, but those aren't really important to be honest. I don't have any problem with the specific suggestions in this section. Math education in America leaves a lot to be desired, and the policies of Bush Jr. which over time have been stripped down, overturned and thrown in the garbage are a big reason for it.
It is first mentioned exactly where I said it was.

Please explain to me how telling a biological male that he can’t compete in a sporting event against females is discrimination?

Please explain to me how telling a biological male that he can’t compete in a sporting event against females is discrimination?
I don’t think it is. 
I want transgendered people to be treated like everyone else. Obviously the athletic issue presents a problem. There should be a way around that problem. I don’t know what it is. But I’m not in favor of using that problem as a means to discriminate against transgender. Reasonable people should find a solution here. 

How empowering it must be for all these young girls who trained hard for their dreams only to be smashed by some male-bodied female.  

How empowering it must be for all these young girls who trained hard for their dreams only to be smashed by some male-bodied female.  
It's kind of a good/bad thing.  I mean, a LARGE portion of American women support this trans athlete nonsense - mostly because they don't play sports so who cares, right?  My wife falls into this category.  Most women are at the forefront of this movement because "feelings".

So the "good" thing about this is that these women are only hurting themselves and future women.  Kind of like karma, if you will.  When they're reduced to not being able to compete in sports at all then most of them will only have themselves to blame.

Of course, that's not fair to women who do play sports which is why it's also the "bad" thing.  I'm not willing to let them do it just to gloat, though.  I'll fight for the women even if most of them are on the wrong side of history.

VIDEO: Hannity: Andrew Cuomo failed the people of New York •Apr 3, 2020

As New York faces ventilator shortages, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has no one to blame but himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J_RR0tJYn8

VIDEO: Chris Cuomo: What Sean Hannity says, Trump does •Feb 15, 2019

CNN's Chris Cuomo says Fox News host Sean Hannity has a strong influence over the actions and opinions of President Donald Trump.

https://youtu.be/K2_5wgAp9sw?t=168

VIDEO: Hannity grills NYC Mayor De Blasio in explosive interview •Aug 7, 2019

FULL INTERVIEW: 2020 hopeful Bill de Blasio clashes with Hannity in this Fox News exclusive. Hannity presses the big city mayor on violence against the NYPD, abortion restrictions, and his support of the Green New Deal

https://youtu.be/YT5VECbL3Os?t=395

First video is interesting because it intersects Hannity, Cuomo and Newsom. Actually the biggest beneficiary of the current Andrew Cuomo scandal is Gavin Newsom, as it deflects some of his recall issue in the daily media cycle. Aunt Pelosi has more motive than anyone to send Cuomo to the chopping block. This is a "controlled burn" where the DNC needs to have some specific internal scapegoats for the entire mess of the past year that extends past their accusations towards Trump. He's not in office anymore and now they have to start eating their own.

Second video is hilarious as currently Cuomo is blaming the rank and file workers at nursing homes in NY and Trump for all the deaths and his cover ups, and since his brother blames Hannity as the secret voice of power behind it all, it creates a Hannity is the reason everyone who died of COVID19 had to perish storyline.

So of course this creates massive conflict for woke cancel culture lefties out there ( and in here). Hannity can't be both things as once, a secret power broker behind it all and the agenda baiting MSM dunce that some make him out to be.

The last video highlights where Andrew Cuomo is going to have to go next, which is de Blasio, in terms of blame. Of course it's interesting that de Blasio won't touch the gun issue with Hannity but the summer riots left people in NY completely undefended.

Here's the part the DNC and some, not all, but some here won't face. While Hannity might be just another MSM talking head grifters, like all the rest, he can only exist if the left gives him ammo to use in the daily media cycle. If some leftists want Hannity gone, then the first step is for the people he criticizes to become above reproach in all things. If he's got nothing to criticize, then he doesn't have a job or a platform or an audience.

Hannity is not the root of the problem, as Chris "Media critics refuse to stop calling him Fredo" Cuomo claims. Hannity in a lagging indicator of an endless array of DNC related scandals that are self inflicted.

Second video is hilarious as currently Cuomo is blaming the rank and file workers at nursing homes in NY and Trump for all the deaths and his cover ups, and since his brother blames Hannity as the secret voice of power behind it all, it creates a Hannity is the reason everyone who died of COVID19 had to perish storyline.
Close. You left out a step. Roger Ailes create a network and feedback loop. Yes, someone who died 4 years ago is why all those people died last year.

VIDEO: Health inspector caught on camera dancing after shutting down brewery •Feb 17, 2021

Co-owner of Bravery Brewing Company Bart Avery discusses Los Angeles county health inspector dancing after forcing his business to close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Bj7J0kQqk

Part of the lesson here is the modern age, you just have to assume you are always on camera, all the time. On the flip side, everyone here should Go Pro everything. In your car, on your body, in your business, everywhere. It might be the only defense you have.

Part of the lesson here is the modern age, you just have to assume you are always on camera, all the time. On the flip side, everyone here should Go Pro everything. In your car, on your body, in your business, everywhere. It might be the only defense you have.
Absolutely. And when these jackboots #### up and do a jig, their ### winds up on national TV. If you're ever in a confrontation, record it with an app that has automatic upload. Just click your camera and hit record. Stop the ####### steal that is daily life with the government, including encounters with the police. Yes, I used a loaded term I don't agree with for a cause I do. Record, record, record. Just like when they were recording news "reporters" without masks this summer when they'd walk around lecturing but none of the camera crew had masks on.

Joyous to watch that ####.

Humble the media. Record the government.

Absolutely. And when these jackboots #### up and do a jig, their ### winds up on national TV. If you're ever in a confrontation, record it with an app that has automatic upload. Just click your camera and hit record. Stop the ####### steal that is daily life with the government, including encounters with the police. Yes, I used a loaded term I don't agree with for a cause I do. Record, record, record. Just like when they were recording news "reporters" without masks this summer when they'd walk around lecturing but none of the camera crew had masks on.

The brewery had to halt service for a bit. They contacted the supervisor to clear up an issue- for on site dining they needed to have a food truck but for carry out they can make it in house (makes little sense to me but whatever.) They had outdated postings that needed to be updated. While they did that the inspector did their little hand clapping dance. Service was halted for about 1/2 hour.

“Right now, for us, a good month is breaking even through all of this. So it might not seem like a lot for us to lose 20 to 40 minutes of sales, but every dollar counts right now for us," Avery said.

Hannity and right wing media seem to leave out ALL of these details. This person was doing their job, and I hope they don’t get death threats over it. It is irresponsible reporting and gaslighting, and you’re helping. 

and you’re helping. 
Yes, I am. I'm saying to videotape all of these government agents, whoever they are, as they go about their duties, especially cops. It'll help clean up the problem of bad actors that had no authority to answer to previously. Do it to the media members that believe they have control of the narrative with their cameras and tape recorders. Videotape your full interviews with them so they can't take things out of context (like Hannity) and use it against you.

I'm glad to see that you agree with me helping out. See what a selective edit can do?

Yes, I am. I'm saying to videotape all of these government agents, whoever they are, as they go about their duties, especially cops. It'll help clean up the problem of bad actors that had no authority to answer to previously. Do it to the media members that believe they have control of the narrative with their cameras and tape recorders. Videotape your full interviews with them so they can't take things out of context (like Hannity) and use it against you.

I'm glad to see that you agree with me helping out. See what a selective edit can do?
Are you saying I’m selectively editing? Here’s the link:

Link

This should not be a national news issue, or even a local news issue. This person could easily be the next person facing death threats from doing their job. Fox News ran with this on pretty much every show, and here you guys are outraged over it. They halted service for 20-40 minutes, and got a day worth of airtime to rile up people about covid regulations. 

Yeah, let’s hold people accountable. I’m in agreement. I manage a restaurant; we get inspected. When msu hosts Michigan (normal times), I can count on the police coming through and doing a head count to make sure we’re under capacity. I can count on the health inspector coming every 6 months, and there are consequences if we aren’t doing things correctly. I have had an inspector insist that we install a new hand washing sink where none existed, and the next inspector wanted to write us up for the location of the hand washing station that the last guy wanted installed. That isn’t national news even if it’s a pain in my ###.

Are you saying I’m selectively editing? Here’s the link:

Link

This should not be a national news issue, or even a local news issue. This person could easily be the next person facing death threats from doing their job. Fox News ran with this on pretty much every show, and here you guys are outraged over it. They halted service for 20-40 minutes, and got a day worth of airtime to rile up people about covid regulations. 

Yeah, let’s hold people accountable. I’m in agreement. I manage a restaurant; we get inspected. When msu hosts Michigan (normal times), I can count on the police coming through and doing a head count to make sure we’re under capacity. I can count on the health inspector coming every 6 months, and there are consequences if we aren’t doing things correctly. I have had an inspector insist that we install a new hand washing sink where none existed, and the next inspector wanted to write us up for the location of the hand washing station that the last guy wanted installed. That isn’t national news even if it’s a pain in my ###.
No, I was saying they do and then showing what one can do with a selective edit. I wasn't accusing you at all.

As far as the rest goes, I'm only going by what the description was on this board. It happened to totally agree with my opinion that you should record government agents during their interactions with you, especially if there's a potential for force to be used against you or a property interest is implicated. If Fox selectively edited the information, shame on them, too. I have no way of knowing that, though. So maybe the health inspector should have recorded the recorder. Sort of dystopian, but given that our government and its agents seem to have a firm grip on dystopia, I'm willing to maybe stumble further down that path in order to prevent it.

No, I was saying they do and then showing what one can do with a selective edit. I wasn't accusing you at all.

As far as the rest goes, I'm only going by what the description was on this board. It happened to totally agree with my opinion that you should record government agents during their interactions with you, especially if there's a potential for force to be used against you or a property interest is implicated. If Fox selectively edited the information, shame on them, too. I have no way of knowing that, though. So maybe the health inspector should have recorded the recorder. Sort of dystopian, but given that our government and its agents seem to have a firm grip on dystopia, I'm willing to maybe stumble further down that path in order to prevent it.
Look at my link or the quote I posted- Fox absolutely misrepresented this story in it’s stupid campaign of “coronavirus is no big deal” misinformation. Forget the dancing part and look at the facts around the “closure.” They didn’t make patrons leave or shut down the restaurant, they halted service until it was cleared up (and they updated postings that were outdated, something every restaurant has to do regularly, it’s the restaurants fault here and no some overreach.) I can agree that the need for a food truck for on premises dining is stupid, and that the inspector here was enforcing that code incorrectly (or needed clarification). The whole episode lasted about 30 minutes, during that time the inspector danced a little, heaven forbid. 

Be mad about the arbitrary to go vs in house food truck need, be mad about the unclear directives and uneven enforcement of these directives. The fact that the inspector shimmied a bit is the wrong reason to be outraged here. They didn’t overstep their authority, and the restaurant didn’t miss out on a day of revenue, it’s just a story to rile up conservatives about CV19 protocols, the same type  people who protested and invaded the Capitol here in Michigan this summer over the same restrictions. Same people riled up over an election that wasn’t stolen. 

Look at my link or the quote I posted- Fox absolutely misrepresented this story in it’s stupid campaign of “coronavirus is no big deal” misinformation.
I see. I take your word for it. I'm not trying to be adversarial at all. If Fox selectively edited, then they should be shamed for it. I'm not arguing their slant nor whether the selective edit was shoehorned into an otherwise faulty narrative.

I still say to record, or document at the very least, any go-round one has with government agents or the media. Whether this story is cooked up or not is really irrelevant to that point, in fact, it would prove my point about the media and/or government business. Record at all times. It would have behooved the government agent to have recorded the check-in himself so that he didn't get burned. Get it on record, is all I'm saying, so that you don't get selectively edited or promised some sort of deal or fairness that will be reneged on by either a media entity or government agent.

I think this video is well done.

I also think that math is pretty much the quintessential subject that it makes no sense to racialize.

The way history is taught, I think a good case can be made that there's generally too much emphasis on Western European stuff and not enough on the rest of the world. That certainly was the case when I was in school. There's no need to frame it in terms of "white supremacy." But there's a real issue there that is ripe for addressing.

With math, though? Come on.
Actually this has been a thing in Seattle for a while, from 2019 - https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/sns-tns-bc-edu-math-racist-20191010-story.html

Actually this has been a thing in Seattle for a while, from 2019 - https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/sns-tns-bc-edu-math-racist-20191010-story.html
This goes way, way back. I remember Lani Guinier in the '90s arguing that logic and the Socratic Method was a tool of the patriarchy and law schools should abandon it, instead focusing the instruction methods on felt experiences. This is really not new, nor surprising coming from the radical left in education.

This is your immediate response to GG posting this story. I’m also not trying to be confrontational here, but let’s take a look. What motive does fox have here- I think I’ve pretty clearly shown that this wasn’t a case of “inspector shuts down business and then celebrates” which is how it was portrayed all day long. Here’s the fox portrayal: Link

Video links look at all the Fox News vids.

Fox has railed against covid restrictions since day 1. They are adding fuel to the fire. They misrepresent facts daily. You say “stop the steal of life” and record everything, and that isn’t a bad idea to advocate, and I understand that you aren’t defending fox. My point is that civil servants like a health inspector shouldn’t have to record themselves doing their job. Let’s say this one did- do you think Fox would show that video? Of course not, they want people to be against covid restrictions because...well, I guess because they’ve been mostly enacted by democrats? Because they don’t want to admit that they’ve been wrong for the last year and that lives perhaps would have been saved had they reported differently? That they were so involved in helping get Trump re-elected that they downplayed the virus because that was what he was doing and now have to keep up that charade? It is stories like this that makes people in my state take guns inside the state Capitol building or plan to kidnap the governor or storm the US Capitol based on another lie.

Look at all the asterisks in your post- look at the emotion you wrote that with. You’re a smart person and capable of reflection; you want to tell me there wasn’t some anger running through that post based on the story you had just read? This is the point I’m trying to make. 

This is your immediate response to GG posting this story. I’m also not trying to be confrontational here, but let’s take a look. What motive does fox have here- I think I’ve pretty clearly shown that this wasn’t a case of “inspector shuts down business and then celebrates” which is how it was portrayed all day long. Here’s the fox portrayal: Link
I cursed. I get it. I responded to Gekko at face value, assuming the story was true. None of it contradicts my ultimate point, which is to recommend that one record the media and the government whenever one has to deal with them. That Fox messed it up, is, as I keep telling you, irrelevant to how I feel about the issue, and further strengthens the point I was making about doctored media or malfeasance on the part of one of the two entities in question.

I cursed. I get it. I responded to Gekko at face value, assuming the story was true. None of it contradicts my ultimate point, which is to recommend that one record the media and the government whenever one has to deal with them. That Fox messed it up, is, as I keep telling you, irrelevant to how I feel about the issue, and further strengthens the point I was making about doctored media or malfeasance on the part of one of the two entities in question.
One last post and I’ll leave you alone- Fox did not mess it up. They didn’t make a mistake here; this was how they meant to report it. 

One last post and I’ll leave you alone- Fox did not mess it up. They didn’t make a mistake here; this was how they meant to report it. 
I understand that. They selectively edited the story to create a false impression to suit their own narrative. Got it.

Users who are viewing this thread