Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Colonial Pipeline Down : How's your local fuel situation?

3 hours ago, Chemical X said:

i read NC folks have begun hoarding natural gas.  increasing home temperatures to 90-100 and trying to catch vapors in tupperware.

Biz Markie has scheduled a 3 PM Eastern press conference to discuss the harmful nature of the vapors

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Made it to Pensacola from DC with no problems. First gas station only had premium. Could have went elsewhere but I didn’t want to mess with it. Haven’t gotten around Pensacola much yet but did not see any long lines driving to hotel. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, Don't Toews Me said:

The key is to not use gasoline or toilet paper. That way, you're impervious to whatever life brings you. 

A bidet-powered car would be pretty sweet.

25 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Biz Markie has scheduled a 3 PM Eastern press conference to discuss the harmful nature of the vapors

Biz Markie's got what you need. 

• Like 3

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They paid the ransom?  Our infrastructure and lack of cyber security in this country is a scary huge target that people have warned about for years.  

No. They just refreshed everything from a backup.   

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

No. They just refreshed everything from a backup.   

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/colonial-pipeline-pays-hackers-millions-pipeline-back-online

"The payments have been made to the terrorists," billionaire John Catsimatidis, told FOX Business’ Maria Bartiromo on Thursday morning. "I understand from my sources that $4 million was paid." 

Bloomberg News reported later Thursday, citing two people familiar with the transaction, that Colonial paid the hackers nearly $5 million. 

Once the payment was made, in untraceable cryptocurrency, the hackers gave the pipeline operator a decrypting tool to restore the network, according to the Bloomberg report. 

Colonial Pipeline declined to comment when contacted by FOX Business. A Department of Energy spokesperson referred FOX Business to Colonial Pipeline.  

Posted (edited)

This will surely discourage future attacks (if true)

@JavierBlas: Asked directly whether he was briefed on Colonial Pipeline having paid $5 million in ransom, President Joe Biden says: "I have not comment on that" | #OOTT

(sorry for the Honda)

Edited by JaxBill

On 5/11/2021 at 7:02 PM, pantherclub said:

Pretty much all of Carteret county in NC is bone dry.  I have 10 gallons in the storage shed and all three vehicles are topped off as I filled them this weekend unknowingly about this panic.  Wife is a bit freaked out but my rationale is that oil companies will not go a weekend having their stations dry.  That would cost them an insane amount of money.

This is scary though seeing how crazy fragile our society is

The only thing that could surpass this if if the internet went down for a certain length of time.  

What have we learned here?

1.) Panic buying is dumb and more likely to exacerbate whatever is happening.

2.) If private companies want to take on the responsibility of managing something that is vital to our national interest, like a major gas pipeline, they should have to prove that they can keep it going even if they get hacked, ransomed, etc. And the company should have to agree in advance to reimburse us if they fail and create a major disruption. Companies are never going to simply do what's best for the public unless there is some financial incentive to do so.

15 hours ago, culdeus said:

whoa, just this AM they said they pulled stuff from backup.  Guess that was not enough.  Seems like a small price to pay TBH

No price to pay, they just increase the delivery price by 20 cents a gallon for one day and it's covered by us.  

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Feds seize/recover the crypto payment from Colonial to the Russian hackers ring.

a) awesome

b) crypto security - a real thing, or no?

On 5/13/2021 at 1:08 PM, Capella said:

Crypto is a criminal’s dream. 

Yeah really curious how the gov't managed to undo the transaction. Did they hack the hacker's wallet? Or some other thing go down?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Feds seize/recover the crypto payment from Colonial to the Russian hackers ring.

a) awesome

b) crypto security - a real thing, or no?

Buddy that is big into cryptocurrency, the only real way to have seized it was at an exchange. Per him "if they mixed it then used a blind converter to a privacy coin like monero it would be 100% untraceable"

Edited by Hawks64

4 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

What I just read said they acquired it via a virtual wallet connected with the DarkSide group. And it was worth 4.4MM when they paid it in May, now closer to 2.3MM. 

Thanks Elon

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

What I just read said they acquired it via a virtual wallet connected with the DarkSide group. And it was worth 4.4MM when they paid it in May, now closer to 2.3MM. 

HODL

• Thanks 1