What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portland - oof. (1 Viewer)

matuski

Footballguy
How's that defund the police experiment working out?

Oof.

I mean holy ####, embarrassing.  

Those numbers could not more closely correspond to the defunding of the department last June.

Criminals are emboldened these days.  People have been able to run amuck in place like Portland with little, to no consequences.  It's not surprising really.

Criminals are emboldened these days.  People have been able to run amuck in place like Portland with little, to no consequences.  It's not surprising really.
Crime is up everywhere.  Including lots of places not like Portland.  See above

If I’m in Portland right now, my only concern is air conditioning. Whoever can turn the heat down, that’s who I’m for. 

Crime is up everywhere.  Including lots of places not like Portland.  See above
Of course.....it's just amplified in places like Portland.

I don't live far from Portland and I can tell you the homeless camps continue to grow and there is a definite criminal element.

Of course.....it's just amplified in places like Portland.

I don't live far from Portland and I can tell you the homeless camps continue to grow and there is a definite criminal element.
Again i think you are being a little myopic.  I was just in salt lake (I live in seattle) and salt lake city has way worse homeless problems

Personally i think it is all tied together for sure.  More poor people, more people on drugs, more people mentally ill, more expensive cities, etc...it all is coming together.  

Again i think you are being a little myopic.  I was just in salt lake (I live in seattle) and salt lake city has way worse homeless problems

Personally i think it is all tied together for sure.  More poor people, more people on drugs, more people mentally ill, more expensive cities, etc...it all is coming together.  
I find it hard to believe Salt lake has a bigger homeless problem than seattle

I wonder if anything happened around this time last year that might have led to widespread lawlessness.
if you are suggesting that because of the protests that police officers are no longer doing their job and letting people murder others with impunity.  I would hope not and if they are they shouldn't be police officers

And again murders are up in places where there wasn't a lot of protesting

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Portland, this Jan in D.C.....lawlessness isn't being brought down with a hammer so it's emboldening people to behave badly.

I'm curious, what has Portland done to change the police force?  It's nothing substantial as far as I have read

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/portland-ore-leaders-walk-tightrope-between-calls-defund-police-escalating-n1272196
Seriously?   You read the article you linked right?

$15M budget cut + anti police politics = 100's of cops retiring early, the entire crowd control team quit (seems like they might be useful in... Portland right now?), those working afraid to actually do anything.

$15M budget cut + anti police politics = 100's of cops retiring early, the entire crowd control team quit, those working afraid to actually do anything.
My understanding is that those were volunteers and if you read the article the staffing shortages have been ongoing.

What?  It says right in there that they have struggled with shortages for years so I can't see the connection.
Your own link, again.

A survey conducted by the Police Executive Research Forum found a 45 percent increase in retirement rates among responding departments. Agencies also reported an 18 percent increase in resignations between April 2020 and March 2021.

There are many departments that simply cannot deliver police work the way they were delivering before because of the resignations and early retirements,”

Your own link, again.
Sorry that's all Cities, i was referencing Portland. Also from the link

Staffing problems with the Portland Police Bureau are not necessarily new. The city has grappled with the issue since at least 2019 when the department had some 130 vacancies. In an effort to recruit new members, the bureau changed everything from hiring requirements to grooming and tattoo standards.

I don't really want to get into a ### for tat here.  My reference was to mostly to Portland not having really done anything radical.  Yes they cut $15 million from the budget but the budget is also $250 million and as someone that has/continues to work with City finances I can say policing goes up way faster than anything else so I'm not sure that cut is all that critical

And maybe the issue is that Police just don't care anymore because of the protests.  But i have trouble believing these people aren't good people that are doing their best out there.  It references in the article that they are overworked and they are putting in overtime which speaks to the need to some reform in my books especially taking them off mental health crisis calls and getting them out of the day to day work dealing with mental illness

Sorry that's all Cities, i was referencing Portland. Also from the link

Staffing problems with the Portland Police Bureau are not necessarily new. The city has grappled with the issue since at least 2019 when the department had some 130 vacancies. In an effort to recruit new members, the bureau changed everything from hiring requirements to grooming and tattoo standards.

I don't really want to get into a ### for tat here.  My reference was to mostly to Portland not having really done anything radical.  Yes they cut $15 million from the budget but the budget is also $250 million and as someone that has/continues to work with City finances I can say policing goes up way faster than anything else so I'm not sure that cut is all that critical
You are almost there, now link again what happened in the last year with Portland retirements and resignations - boom, you will have connected the dots.

You are almost there, now link again what happened in the last year with Portland retirements and resignations - boom, you will have connected the dots.
They had 130 vacancies in 2019 and I'm not sure they how many they have now and I can't find it on the web.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2021/03/city-budget-office-recommends-funding-for-portland-police-bureau-to-hire-30-officers-to-start-filling-more-than-90-vacancies.html

Looks like they are moving to a pretty good budget place for them this year.  

And I don't want to pollute this with back and forth between us.  I'm looking at why Portland is being singled out here.  Did they do anything radical to change policing in the City?  I think the answer is no. It looks like being overworked certainly led to a spike in retirements but given the size of the force, and historical openings, not by that much.  

Murders are up everywhere including Portland. 

Hasn't pretty much every major city in the country seen hundreds of police officers quit and retire due to lack of public support over the past year?
It depends on the compensation and risks. In the high-paying police departments in Miami-Dade County, which would be Miami,  the County, and Miami Beach, I haven't heard about officers retiring from their good paying jobs with sweet retirement plans, with overtime pay to jack up the pension payout. And lots of off-duty assignments. I'm not saying it's not deserving, but I've seen many officers retire before 50 with a 6-figure pension. The Parkland cop, Scott Petersen is getting almost $9,000 a month, and he was a school cop for the last several years. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article244850807.html

>>For many officers, particularly in big departments like Miami-Dade and the city of Miami, unions have been hugely beneficial, with the twin power of political clout and collective bargaining boosting pay and benefits, including lucrative pension systems. In Miami, an officer with enough service time can collect a monthly pension when they retire equal to 80 percent of their highest paid year. County police officers can collect up to 75 percent of their highest-paid year if they work for 25 years.<<

Hasn't pretty much every major city in the country seen hundreds of police officers quit and retire due to lack of public support over the past year?
Seems a little snowflakey to quit your job due to lack of public support.  I can't think of very many professions that have gotten more praise over my lifetime than police.  

Seems a little snowflakey to quit your job due to lack of public support.  I can't think of very many professions that have gotten more praise over my lifetime than police.  
This is my point above as well

I have trouble believing this is a major factor in murder rates. 

$15M budget cut + anti police politics = 100's of cops retiring early, the entire crowd control team quit (seems like they might be useful in... Portland right now?), those working afraid to actually do anything.
They didn't quit the force.

"Portland police officers resign en masse from crowd control unit"

All of the members who resigned from the team are still employed with Portland police and will continue with their regular assignments
And it's only because one of them got held accountable.  https://www.mcda.us/index.php/news/da-mike-schmidt-announces-portland-police-officer-indicted-over-august-2020-use-of-force-incident/

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/justice-department-portland-police-unconstitutional-force-violence-1166597/

So according to the libs the police are racist, brutal...and now "snowflakey." Seems a bit of a personality contradiction but nothing a few cure-all mental health dollars wouldn't rectify I suppose.

So according to the libs the police are racist, brutal...and now "snowflakey." Seems a bit of a personality contradiction but nothing a few cure-all mental health dollars wouldn't rectify I suppose.
I don't really think they are.  I find it very hard to believe that they would quit their jobs or retire because of lack of support from the public.  It's far more likely that they retire because they have some of the highest paying pensions in the country

How's that defund the police experiment working out?

Oof.

I mean holy ####, embarrassing.  

Those numbers could not more closely correspond to the defunding of the department last June.
How much did they defund?  What percentage of the overall budget?

And yet our home prices continue to skyrocket.  Laugh away, citizens.
The best weed

The best beer

Amazing food carts and city views off bridges and nearby mountains

Hiking all around

And yes, my house is up almost 30% in equity since buying almost 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread