What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is something like Charles Schwab a decent platform for a young investor? (1 Viewer)

Ben & Jerry's

Footballguy
Daughter, 22, just out of College. Has 10k to invest. A Roth IRA is what I recommended but I really don't know. ETF, index funds etc. Are the Robo adviser options helpful?

I'd recommend Schwab.  I'd also recommend their checking/banking product.  Been a customer for years.

-No minimum balance
-ATM fee reimbursement from anywhere
-fast/easy to move your money from your checking to savings/brokerage/IRA
-low fee index funds
-low fee robo advisor (I believe slightly more expensive then some but more or less in the same ballpark -- I don't use the product so I might be wrong)
-excellent customer service

The only downside is if you have a bunch of cash you had to find a Schwab location to deposit it.  Though I rarely have that problem.  Switched here from BOA over a decade ago and am so happy BOA does not get my business anymore.

What the heck is a robo advisor?  What would it even tell a 22 year old; put as much as you can into an s&p 500 index and let's meet up again in 20 years?

What the heck is a robo advisor?  What would it even tell a 22 year old; put as much as you can into an s&p 500 index and let's meet up again in 20 years?

More or less that's it. It spreads across a lot of sector indexes to tax harvest.  

Daughter, 22, just out of College. Has 10k to invest. A Roth IRA is what I recommended but I really don't know. ETF, index funds etc. Are the Robo adviser options helpful?
Just one guy’s opinion for long term investing My portfolio

M1. Set your / her portfolio and automatic contributions. Easy peezy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to recommend the Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares  Mr R says Warren Buffet concurs.  Just set it and forget it.  Later on, she can add bonds.

Vanguard has always been business professional.  That was not the case with T Rowe Price.  Don't even go there.

I use Schwab and love it. My niece is about the same age, and I recommended Fidelity to her for her Roth. 

Main reason being that I think Fidelity is a bit more a one stop shot (though Schwab certainly is too). Big factor is Fidelity also has an outstanding HSA (Schwab doesn't have one).  If she has a high deductible/HSA approved health plan, an HSA is a pretty powerful too. A Roth has a $6000 contribution limit, and the HSA is $3600, so that looks a lot like $10K

Both are outstanding choices. I personally like the UI of Schwab a little better, but that's a personal preference.  I also prefer the Schwab branded ETFs more than Fidelity, though you get both from either shop.

Fidelity does have 4 completely free mutual funds. Not a huge deal, since there are so many nearly free options already. 

I just told my niece to just start automatically contributing monthly to Fidelity's free Total Market Index Fund (FZROX) until she gets to a point where she wants to learn more an adjust her approach. 

Congrats to you and your daughter. I hope she's excited about $10K turning into a near-million when she's ready to retire. 

Users who are viewing this thread