What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buckhalter Thread Here (1 Viewer)

they just he was injured before they left for the commerical break. I too would love to know the severity of the injury. If he's hurt bad there will be a ton of happy Westbrook owners

Duffman pities the 2 fools who took this thread seriously. :rolleyes: *Edit 3

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if there was any sort of cart that might be taking him off the field? was it his knee that got hurt?

Main Entry: sar·casmPronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&mFunction: nounEtymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
But really boys, only four threads about this? Sad. Yesterday we were up to 10 on SOD before ! came in and cleaned house.

Main Entry: sar·casmPronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&mFunction: nounEtymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
But really boys, only four threads about this? Sad. Yesterday we were up to 10 on SOD before ! came in and cleaned house.
Well, he is THE SOD, so he deserves more threads ;) -fe

Well, he is THE SOD, so he deserves more threads ;) -fe
Touche. edited when Colin decided to make this, of all threads, the clearinghouse for Buck's injury info. :confused:

I probably could have picked a better thread, but I was more interested in condensing it so people weren't scouring 10 threads looking for info. Try and post relevant info from here on out.Thanks,Colin

Idiotic...if you think he is Top 10 now---his value does not skyrocketI would definitely want you in my leagueI would say he's on par with Stephen Davis now

Reno Mahe is the beneficiary here, he will replace Buck. Mahe wont excite anyone though. McCoo is the sleeper. Good raw talent, I hope he can play...Good God I hope he can play

Ok, so you don't think he's on par with Fred Taylor if he's going to get most of the carries? I would definitley take him now before Dillon, Rudi or S. Davis. The guy has the potential to put up Priest-type numbers if given a chance. I'm not saying he will be the potential is there. He's at least better now than the 10-15 backs.

It's not weak, it's honest. It's sad for him but I'm not going to feel sorry for a guy I don't know that suffered an injury playing a game he's paid millions for.---Sorry, but that's real weak getting excited about player's (possibly serious) injury. Real weak.

This is most excellent news
Sorry, but that's real weak getting excited about player's (possibly serious) injury. Real weak. :thumbdown:
Hey man, of course I don't wish any physical pain on C-Buck or any type of hardship for him feeding his family... Now once those two factors are settled and he's in no pain and can still support his family then this is fantastic news for my fantasy squad. :hophead:

Time to do a little more scouting on Eric McCoo and Reno Mahe.
It'll be Mahe, though he's not as big a threat to Westbrook as Buckhalter was. Mahe knows the WCO from his days at BYU. He's a blue collar version of Eric Metcalf. Good hands and elusive in the open field but not someone you want to send between the tackles.

Reno Mahe is the beneficiary here, he will replace Buck. Mahe wont excite anyone though. McCoo is the sleeper. Good raw talent, I hope he can play...Good God I hope he can play
I believe this would mean more work for Mahe. I don't think you're going to see Westy become a workhorse. If he does get more carries I think he'll wear down. Mahe's a coverted WR, I believe, so if he does move up the depth chart he has good hands out of the backfield.From the Eagles' website:5'-10", 212 lb. Former WR from BYU. Made the team last year as a rookie free agent. A shifty RB with great hands out of the backfield.COLLEGE: Posted 166 recepts. for 2,163 yds. and 12 receiving TDs, as well as 128 carries for 719 yds. and 7 rushing TDs in three seasons at BYU. His receiving yardage ranked 10th on the school's all-time list. A two-time All-Mountain West Conference selection in 2001 and 2002, he posted 59 recepts. for 771 yards and 2 TDs as a senior. Began his career as a RB at BYU in 1998 before sitting out the 1999 season. Returned to the squad in 2001 after spending the 2000 campaign at Dixie Junior College. At Dixie, caught 57 passes for 1,387 yards and 12 TDs.

4:40 left in the Q2, and they're showing Mahe on the bench. I missed it...was he the one who made the open field tackle on special teams on the kickoff after after the Eagles scored?

Idiotic...if you think he is Top 10 nowI would definitely want you in my leagueI would say he's on par with Stephen Davis now
Not saying I agree or disagreeBut he was 15th in RB scoring last year sharing with Staley and CbuckYou dont think he can jump 5 spots when 2/3rds of the guys stealing stats from him last year are gone?No need to use the "i wish you were in my league" line here.
While it may appear that this would increase Westbrooks value, in my mind the doubts remain about just how much he can deliver in the way of carries in a game. I viewed Buckhalter as the guy who could allow him to take his breathers, thus sustaining his production. Granted this is all speculation currently, but the doubts remain.

No word yet, but if you've been around football you know enough to realize that this can only be bad injury. That being said, there is no chance that James Stewart gets a call. Miami has brought in Stacy Mack and TERRY KIRBY for workouts but did not contact Stewart. Something tells me that NFL execs know something about Stewart that the public doesn't. Westbrook a top 10? Not likely, but ranking him as high as 15 wouldn't be a stretch.

Idiotic...if you think he is Top 10 nowI would definitely want you in my leagueI would say he's on par with Stephen Davis now
Not saying I agree or disagreeBut he was 15th in RB scoring last year sharing with Staley and CbuckYou dont think he can jump 5 spots when 2/3rds of the guys stealing stats from him last year are gone?No need to use the "i wish you were in my league" line here.
While it may appear that this would increase Westbrooks value, in my mind the doubts remain about just how much he can deliver in the way of carries in a game. I viewed Buckhalter as the guy who could allow him to take his breathers, thus sustaining his production. Granted this is all speculation currently, but the doubts remain.
Fred Taylor is the #10 RB by most people. I can't believe you don't think Westbrook will post similar numbers. He's younger and not injuy prone. I'd even be tempted to take him before Barlow, who I have ranked #9.

Fred Taylor is the #10 RB by most people. I can't believe you don't think Westbrook will post similar numbers. He's younger and not injuy prone. I'd even be tempted to take him before Barlow, who I have ranked #9.
And we know Westbrook isn't injury prone because he tore his triceps at the end of the only season he saw any action in the NFL. :wall:

PHI Buckhalter-torn pattellar tendon right knee, PHI Reese-right knee MCL sprain (will not return), PHI Hart-left knee contusion.

This is apparently the same injury that happened to Boston a few years ago.

Here is a good article explaining a Patella Tendon tear:

David Boston's Patellar Tendon Rupture

By: Chris Neilson - billsaddiction.com

This is my first attempt in what I hope becomes a series of informative articles relating to sports injuries regarding the Buffalo Bills or other impact players in the NFL.

Let me first say, I am NOT a doctor. Doctors would be far more knowledgeable than I, and far better paid. That is not to say I don't have anything to draw from for knowledge. I am a Radiological Technologist. I take X-Rays, MRI's, CT's on a daily basis. I see these injuries all the time, and have to be knowledgeable about them in order to know if what I am looking for is there or not. I have to have very good medical terminology as well. In order to do this job I trained for 4 years at university in science and 3 in diagnostics. So, I'll do the best I can to sift through the medical speak and provide you with info in layman's terms.

I thought this was a good time to start this as David Boston, as you all likely know, has just ruptured his patellar tendon. He will likely miss the entire season, as we heard last night. This is a relatively uncommon injury, so hopefully I can shed some light on it for you. Unfortunately, this is not an injury I have personally seen as of yet, due to it's rarity, but a lot of medicine is theory anyway.

First off, I'll go over a little anatomy. Tendons and ligaments are rather similar. Both are strong, fibrous, connective tissue that attach to bones. Ligaments provide stability either side-to-side (e.g. the MCL and LCL in the knee) or front-to-back (ACL and PCL). Tendons usually connect to bone and muscle. They function as the "rope" in a pulley system. Basically, one end attaches to the muscle and the other to the bone and when the muscle pulls on the tendon the joint moves. In the case of the patellar tendon, both ends of the tendon are attached to bone, one to the tibia in the lower leg and one to the bottom of the patella (a.k.a. knee cap) above the. The top of the patella has the quadriceps tendon that leads to the quad muscle, which is really a continuation of the same tendon and they work together in movement of the leg. This muscle is responsible for the extension (straighten) of the lower leg and knee. The patella is a "sesamoid" bone. These are bones that are not present at birth, but develop in many tendons for a variety of reasons including "gliding" and regulating pressure on the tendon.

Rupture of the patella tendon is quite rare, and is most often in athletically active people under 40. It is most often caused when someone jumps or falls onto a partially bent knee. Basically, they have a foot planted with the knee partially flexed and the quad muscle flexes very quickly, tearing the tendon. It's basically just an awkward, freak, movement that causes severe damage. There is an increased incidence of this happening in people with chronic tendonitis (inflammation) in the tendon. Apparently, Boston had been complaining about pain in the knee before the injury which the team doctor diagnosed as tendonitis and said he could play through it.

When this happens the person can sometimes still walk on the leg with difficulty, as Boston did as he walked off the field, but is very easy to diagnose because the inability to straighten the leg is pretty much indicative. On x-rays you cannot see ligaments or tendons, but the patella would appear higher on the leg, towards the hip. The best way to see this is using MRI, which can image soft tissue very well and see the tear directly, telling you if it is complete or partial. If it were partial, it could be possible for it to heal on it's own over time. Complete tears almost always require surgery.

Treatment involves immediate (within a few days) surgery to reattach the 2 parts of the tendon. They go in through an incision in the front of the knee and find the 2 ends, then sew them back together. This usually takes just about an hour to do. The patient can usually go home the next day on crutches.

Recovery times are generally a couple of months.

After just a few days, rehab begins. Some doctors say aggressive rehab is better, others prefer to give it time before starting. Mostly with a week or two they will start rehab with bending exercises, gradually working to get the knee range of motion back to it normal. Between weeks 4-12 you will also slowly try to get the patient to put small amounts of weight on that leg, as they can tolerate. Nothing too strenuous or you risk re-injuring the tendon, though that is rare. The knee is kept in a brace to avoid over doing it during this time.

By the 12th-16th weeks you will hopefully be able to bear the persons weight on that leg and slowly start building the strength in the quad back up. By the 6th month they should be back to running and jumping close to normal, usually in the 85-90% range of what the tendon once was.

So, essentially this is a lost season for Boston if he has surgery. It's not the worst injury in the history of sports and Boston should be ready to go for next year. Unfortunately, it looks like this season is a wash.
Article Link

By injury-prone I am talking about ligaments, not torn muscles that can happen to anyone and don't usually lead to the same type of injury. ---------And we know Westbrook isn't injury prone because he tore his triceps at the end of the only season he saw any action in the NFL.

That's no good, as I thought Buck was looking like a nice value in the middle rounds. Not to mention, I have him in SSL4. I'm going with Wheatley as my #2 now. :unsure: I think Westbrook has to become a late second rounder now in most 12 team redrafts.

Westy can do it all, but he is definitely injury prone. He suffered a variety of injuries last year. He also has a nose for the endzone. Westy led the league in TDs per touch last year (for any significant RB).1) Westy 1 TD per 14 touches. (11 TDs)2) Holmes 1 TD per 14.6 touches. (27 TDs)3) Buckhalter 1 TD per 15.1 touches. (9 TDs)4) Staley 1 TD per 19 touches (7 TDs)5) A.Green 1 TD per 20.25 touches. (20 TDs)So the Philly backs found the endzone last year. But can Westy carry the load? With Bucky out, at the least Westy's load should increase ... maybe upto 300 touches.Westy only had 154 touches last year, but he was the clear #1 when he was healthy. I had Westy and I was always checking the injury report.

Users who are viewing this thread