What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (1 Viewer)

He seemed surprised that the world was still out there.
:goodposting: I thought that was the most significant revelation. Last week, we heard 8,000 Desmond as some sort of puppet master theories. After this weekend, its clear he's just another pawn on the board, or at best, a rook.

Just thinking more about who all is on the island, past and present.

2. Unknown number of Tail Survivors from 815. 1 Verified (Rodriguez)

6. Lord of the Flies group now found - Maybe 2, 4, or 5 and not a new group, maybe not.
Group #2 and Group #6 are one-in-the same IMO.
I think it's a combination of 2 & 7.....just speculating, but I have a hard time the other plane survivors decended into anarchy so quickly without some "help".I think the Oz guy is going to be a survivor of the drug plane that took control of the tail section survivors.
That is an interesting thought. I could easily see #2 and #6 as the same, but they would easily descend into a tyrannical type of situation if the wrong leader steps forward and someone with a criminal past could do that.The other thought is that if the tail survivors are infected, based on what Rousseau described and how Ethan acted and how the Others on the boat acted, they would start acting more animalistic.

The last thought is that if the tail survivors, not having the Marshall's guns, have been attacked by Ethan/Others on the boat, then they might be a little weary of newcomers like Jin who can't speak English, and are defending themselves by any means necessary.

Just thinking more about who all is on the island, past and present.

1. The main survivors from 815.

2. Unknown number of Tail Survivors from 815. 1 Verified (Rodriguez)

3. Rousseau's group, presumed all dead but Rousseau

4. Ethan's group. Rousseau has spent time with him/them (Scratches by Claire during missing time). Unknown relationship, with the son theory out there.

5. The "Others" - Bad asses who light smoke signals when they go on the warpath. 4-5 Verified members, all on the short range boat.

6. Lord of the Flies group now found - Maybe 2, 4, or 5 and not a new group, maybe not.

7. Possible survivors from Black Rock (or their descendants) or the Drug Plane - Again, maybe incorporated into 4,5,or 6

8. Desmond and the Dharma Corp - Is he alone, or are there more Corporation guys somewhere on the isle.

Any More I'm Missing? Regardless, this Island is getting pretty crowded, Isn't it?
:goodposting: Some of these groups may be the same (4 & 5). Some of them may have merged (2 & 7).

But I think you covered the greatest number of possible groups.
You forgot about Adam & Eve. I was looking back at some old footage on the www.oceanicflight815.com website and it shows Jack & Kate talking when they first discover them and Jack is saying they had to be there at least 50 years for their clothes to be in the state of decay that they were in. So 50 yrs kind of predates them to whenever everyone else showed up. :loco:

:goodposting: I thought that was the most significant revelation. Last week, we heard 8,000 Desmond as some sort of puppet master theories. After this weekend, its clear he's just another pawn on the board, or at best, a rook.
Agree completely. He worked for DHARMA and at one point, they had to have many people there constructing the hatch and branding sharks, but it seems like they all got sick/bolted the island to be safe and Desmond is all alone and wondering why he hasn't been replaced. The way he talked to Locke about being "him" and asking the password was as if he thought he was getting out of the hatch and going home.

I'm living in the '90s and still use a VCR. In the rush to set the timer and play with the kids, I taped CBS for the first 20 minutes.

What did I miss? I gather there was a shark incident early in the episode because Sawyer refered to "teeth."

Picked up where Desmond said "I can't believe it, you are here" to Locke.

Love this show, but am disappointed that this week's episode ends in the same spot as last week's regarding the hatch. We have more info now, but there was no progression...Jack just said "You..." to end the show for the second week in a row.
Can someone please help me out here?

However, this could be explained by the fact that Jack viewed the meeting as a significant event in his life (i.e. this guy granted me a miracle), while Desmond doesn't really remember since the meeting had no significance to him (I was jogging and ran into some guy).

So my feeling is that Desmond had nothing to do with Sarah's recovery.
Or he didn't recognize Jack without that ridiculous wig.

I think the Oz guy is going to be a survivor of the drug plane that took control of the tail section survivors.
Didn't we see 2 dead bodies that were dressed like priests that came from the drug plane? The drug plane went down not that far from the beach where Jack and Co. crashed on. This new beach is probably on the other side of the island.

Agree completely. He worked for DHARMA and at one point, they had to have many people there constructing the hatch and branding sharks, but it seems like they all got sick/bolted the island to be safe and Desmond is all alone and wondering why he hasn't been replaced. The way he talked to Locke about being "him" and asking the password was as if he thought he was getting out of the hatch and going home.
I don't know about the going home part...him saying "is the world still out there" and then mocking the people who left on the boat (basically laughing at Locke when he told them they sailed out) leads me to think he realizes there is no way off the island, and there's no world out there anyways.

For those that don't already know:

"Dharma" means "protection". By practising Buddha's teachings we protect ourself from suffering and problems. All the problems we experience during daily life originate in ignorance, and the method for eliminating ignorance is to practise Dharma.

btw, that 'Dharma' logo looks like there's a snake in the middle.Who wants to bet the producers put up some mock DHARMA website out there somewhere?

That shark thing has gotten me thinking. I think it is either:

A) Part of the science experiment. Someone mentioned earlier about cancer resistance (not true), but in the Deep Blue Sea movie they studied them for an Alzhymer cure.

Anyone else have any ideas on the shark?
A ####### SHARK ATE ME!!:samuelLjackson:

I don't know about the going home part...him saying "is the world still out there" and then mocking the people who left on the boat (basically laughing at Locke when he told them they sailed out) leads me to think he realizes there is no way off the island, and there's no world out there anyways.
I missed that quote, but he also asked if Locke was "him" and it seemed like he was hoping that his replacement was there. As far as the raft goes, he has pretty good knowledge of the island, where it is and thesharks based on the fact that he works for the folks that built the hatch and branded the shark, so he might have just chuckled at the fact that they tried to leave in a raft, not a real boat.I just really think that he has been waiting for a replacement and his body language was that of excitement when he first saw Locke and asked if he was him. Almost like they left Desmond and said that they would return at some point. Since no one came, maybe he thought that the illness had gone everywhere?

I missed that quote, but he also asked if Locke was "him" and it seemed like he was hoping that his replacement was there. As far as the raft goes, he has pretty good knowledge of the island, where it is and thesharks based on the fact that he works for the folks that built the hatch and branded the shark, so he might have just chuckled at the fact that they tried to leave in a raft, not a real boat.I just really think that he has been waiting for a replacement and his body language was that of excitement when he first saw Locke and asked if he was him. Almost like they left Desmond and said that they would return at some point. Since no one came, maybe he thought that the illness had gone everywhere?
Surely he heard the plane crash.....

File this under "way out there" theory, but here it goes...I believe that Walt's mother is, by way of a people connection, involved in the whole Dharma Corp. thing, and that's why she is traveling all over the globe ("race around the world") in her capacity as an attorney, and wanting to take Walt with her. I'm guessing Walt has seen things earlier in his life/travels, that correlate to Dharma, and to the hatch. Didn't Walt's mother died as a result of some kind of blood disease? Could this be what Desmond is afraid of? I think there is more to the Michael, Walt, Walt's mom (don't know her name) that we have yet to see in flashbacks.I read somewhere else that the snowman joke/riddle was mentioned by either Hurley or Walt/Michael or possibly even Jack in Season 1, but cannot find a link to substantiate this claim.

That shark thing has gotten me thinking. I think it is either:

A) Part of the science experiment. Someone mentioned earlier about cancer resistance (not true), but in the Deep Blue Sea movie they studied them for an Alzhymer cure.

Anyone else have any ideas on the shark?
A ####### SHARK ATE ME!!:samuelLjackson:
That was a great scene and actually and underrated movie. It was cheesy and far fetched, but had some good parts and Sam Jackson is just awesome.

Good Pic of DHARMA Logo

Its not a snake, its a swan as someone else said.
Looks like a snake to me...with it's tongue out.
Snake's don't have a body that get's thicker in the middle and they can't make an sharp turn in their body like you see in the lower right of the swan. This is a swan-like image, IMO.The sets of bars all the way around are each unique. Kinda strange for a logo. They must represent something.

It sure didn't seem like he did. Didn't Locke say that their plane crashed and Desmond said "when" and Locke said 34 days ago.Although, if Desmond knows anything about the drug plane crash, he might have been asking when to know which one Locke was from.

The weird thing about the hatch area is that we have seen nothing so far that would lead you to believe that Desmond can see or hear anything that is going on above him. Locke and Boone had to dig to uncover the hatch and the scope/mirrors that Desmond has seem to only be set up to look down the hall and up to the hatch. Even the computer screen is a DOS-type prompt so he can't see any video feeds or anything like that. Unless there is another way out, WTF does Desmond know about other than what he saw before the hatch was closed and possibly covered up with dirt.

I know the shark is supposed to be some kind of security system, but did it really do all that much to keep them on or off the island?If Sawyer had not been bleeding everywhere would have even been a factor. And Michael's random shooting was enough to disable/scare it away. Genetically engineered maybe, guard dog....hardly.

The logo itself is an octagon, so it's 8 sided. Inside the octagon there are 36 individual black bars, none of which appear to be the same as another. Is there any significance to this? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure didn't seem like he did. Didn't Locke say that their plane crashed and Desmond said "when" and Locke said 34 days ago.Although, if Desmond knows anything about the drug plane crash, he might have been asking when to know which one Locke was from.

The weird thing about the hatch area is that we have seen nothing so far that would lead you to believe that Desmond can see or hear anything that is going on above him. Locke and Boone had to dig to uncover the hatch and the scope/mirrors that Desmond has seem to only be set up to look down the hall and up to the hatch. Even the computer screen is a DOS-type prompt so he can't see any video feeds or anything like that. Unless there is another way out, WTF does Desmond know about other than what he saw before the hatch was closed and possibly covered up with dirt.
I have wondered about how much if anything Desmond knew about what was going on, Locke and Boone weren't just digging the thing up, they were pounding on it with all kinds of rocks and trees and lord knows what else. Did Desmond hear none of this? Was he just jamming too much?Every time Desi looks into the mirrors he has to move them around, which to me means that he is capable of viewing more than one thing at a time, which leads me to believe there must be at least one other enterance / exit to the place. I find it hard to believe that whoever built that bunker got everything inside thru one tiny hatch.

File this under "way out there" theory, but here it goes...

I believe that Walt's mother is, by way of a people connection, involved in the whole Dharma Corp. thing, and that's why she is traveling all over the globe ("race around the world") in her capacity as an attorney, and wanting to take Walt with her. I'm guessing Walt has seen things earlier in his life/travels, that correlate to Dharma, and to the hatch. Didn't Walt's mother died as a result of some kind of blood disease? Could this be what Desmond is afraid of? I think there is more to the Michael, Walt, Walt's mom (don't know her name) that we have yet to see in flashbacks.

I read somewhere else that the snowman joke/riddle was mentioned by either Hurley or Walt/Michael or possibly even Jack in Season 1, but cannot find a link to substantiate this claim.
Seems to me that she was describing becoming a partner in her firm which implies to me she's an accountant or lawyer although your theory makes for much better TV. Maybe they are going to tie Boston Legal into LOST?

About Desmond thinking Locke is his replacement.If there is another entrance/exit wouldn't his replacement use it, instead of blasting his way in? You'd think that would raise some suspicions on Desmond's part.

I find it hard to believe that whoever built that bunker got everything inside thru one tiny hatch.
Nice call. there has got to be another way out. It's not safe to only have 1 exit. If it is a company built bunker, they need at least 2 exits.

Anyone thing Desmond was Lenards(waco from the psyche ward) replacement?
Hurley researched into it. The guy and his partner (who Hurley went to see in Australia) were sailors and heard them broadcast over and over.

Good Pic of DHARMA Logo

Snake's don't have a body that get's thicker in the middle
They do when they're eating something.
The sets of bars all the way around are each unique.  Kinda strange for a logo.  They must represent something.
Morse code?
Not morse code, here is the morse alphabet a few letters match but the majority of it does not.

I find it hard to believe that whoever built that bunker got everything inside thru one tiny hatch.
Nice call. there has got to be another way out. It's not safe to only have 1 exit. If it is a company built bunker, they need at least 2 exits.
The area below the actual hatch entrance isn't as "finished" as the rest of the dwelling though (rough rock walls, water leaking from the "roof" etc.). They could have put everything in there through the wider area and then put the vertical "pipe" type of thing on top of it and then filled the surrounding area with dirt. The entire area, at one point, would have to have been excavated in order for whoever built it to install the hatch itself, as well as the artificial sunlamps outside the windows.

Anyone thing Desmond was Lenards(waco from the psyche ward) replacement?
Hurley researched into it. The guy and his partner (who Hurley went to see in Australia) were sailors and heard them broadcast over and over.
Yeah I know, people here at work are theorizing and I said no way.

The area below the actual hatch entrance isn't as "finished" as the rest of the dwelling though (rough rock walls, water leaking from the "roof" etc.). They could have put everything in there through the wider area and then put the vertical "pipe" type of thing on top of it and then filled the surrounding area with dirt. The entire area, at one point, would have to have been excavated in order for whoever built it to install the hatch itself, as well as the artificial sunlamps outside the windows.
Actually, now that I think about it, last week when Jack was exploring inside wasn't there a wall/hall that looked like it was caved in on itself?

Good Pic of DHARMA Logo

the border kind of looks like morse code in circlesit never repeats either
Over analyzing. See below and compare the images.
The logo itself is an octagon, so it's 8 sided. Inside the octagon there are 36 individual black bars, none of which appear to be the same as another.

Is there any significance to this? I don't know.
The symbol is an adaptation of the Feng Shui symbol called Bagua (some of this was posted before in this thread) -- read more about Feng Shui. Dharma is the concept of the way to (or of) higher truths.Edit to add that the 8 sides represent the 8 points of a compass (N, NE, E, SE, S, etc.)

Another Edit to add: Go to the Bagua link to learn more about the morse code-like markings.

I bet they tie the show Invasion into this one :loco: IMO Desmond does not have a clue what is going on in the outside worldThe countdown - what happens when the countdown hits?108 is the sum of the lottery numbers.Other "hatches" - how do we explain the other hatch that Locke was almost dragged into last season? Unrelated?The whacko from the psyche word was not the replacement, Desmond was his replacement - hence why the guy is in the psyche ward - those numbers drove him crazy for having to enter it into the computer every 108 minutes. (sorry thought you had it the other way around)

About Desmond thinking Locke is his replacement.

If there is another entrance/exit wouldn't his replacement use it, instead of blasting his way in? You'd think that would raise some suspicions on Desmond's part.
I think that would be true, but it seems like he is a little out of it and definitely has been down there, sleep deprived potentially do to the numbers thing, longer than he thought.I do think that there is probably another entrance just because Desmond didn't answer Locke when he asked and we haven't seen anything around the power source/magnetic field generator. The only problem is that since I haven't seen it, I can't assume that there is another hatch. It is possible that this hatch area was a bunker/fail safe built by DHARMA in case the worst case scenario did occur, maybe that is why Desmond asked that question about the world being OK.

Actually, now that I think about it, last week when Jack was exploring inside wasn't there a wall/hall that looked like it was caved in on itself?
I think you are right about that. I will have to check again, but it seemed like he looked around and there were some openings, so there could be other areas we haven't seen yet. Besides there has to be some sort of mechanical room behind the wall where Jack's key got caught in the magnetic field and where the power source for Desmond's pad is.

When Jack's key was pulled by the magnetic field didn't it look like some sort of doorway had been hastily closed and sealed with concrete?

Users who are viewing this thread