What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeagueSafe - Protection of Player Funds? (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Spinoff of what is happening with Phenoms. A couple of my high dollar leagues use LeagueSafe and I'm wondering how funds are protected.

I have no reason to question Paul Charchian's ethics, but my concern is that with such large amounts sitting in the company's bank account safeguards need to be in place to prevent misuse.

What safeguards does LeagueSafe have? Hopefully Charch can come in here and comment on this.

My understanding is that LeagueSafe uses escrow. Which means the money isn't in some bank account that can be debited at will, but is under the control of an attorney / law firm that is a third party and not a LeagueSafe employee (though is probably compensated by LeagueSafe). There is a whole legal structure in place around the concept of escrow.

EDIT: I can't find any mention of "escrow" on the LeagueSafe page but I could -swear- it was mentioned somewhere that LS used escrow. So ultimately, I don't know. I don't use LS and don't know anything about LS other than commercials, Charch plugging it, etc.

My understanding is that LeagueSafe uses escrow. Which means the money isn't in some bank account that can be debited at will, but is under the control of an attorney / law firm that is a third party and not a LeagueSafe employee (though is probably compensated by LeagueSafe). There is a whole legal structure in place around the concept of escrow.

EDIT: I can't find any mention of "escrow" on the LeagueSafe page but I could -swear- it was mentioned somewhere that LS used escrow. So ultimately, I don't know. I don't use LS and don't know anything about LS other than commercials, Charch plugging it, etc.
The site says to 'think of it as escrow for fantasy leagues', but I've seen nothing to indicate a 3rd party is involved.

At the moment I believe Charchian himself has full control of the funds. Waiting to see what he has to say.

If he has full control of the funds then I don't expect him to chime in. Even if he has never had a thought of taking the money. The amount of business League Safe would lose if he made a statement saying he is in control of the funds, because so many people got burned by Phenoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
LeagueNotSafe?

I'm fortunate that my bigger money leagues are local ones and I only play in a few smaller $$ value ones online that use LeagueSafe. But I understand the concern everybody is having. Their HAS to be a legit 3rd party tool that can hold money. Isn't their one called Tilt or something like that? They teamed up with ESPN. Not sure it's any different than LeagueSafe, but if it has a site like ESPN backing it then I would feel safer using them.

I would imagine that LeagueSafe considers itself as the escrow agent?

LeagueNotSafe?

I'm fortunate that my bigger money leagues are local ones and I only play in a few smaller $$ value ones online that use LeagueSafe. But I understand the concern everybody is having. Their HAS to be a legit 3rd party tool that can hold money. Isn't their one called Tilt or something like that? They teamed up with ESPN. Not sure it's any different than LeagueSafe, but if it has a site like ESPN backing it then I would feel safer using them.
Here is the Fee Information for Tilt:

Starting your league pool is free. A small, one-time processing fee is applied to each card transaction:

• Debit cards: $0.95
  • Credit cards: 2.9% + $0.95
No fees are deducted when the winnings are paid out - team owners keep everything they've earned!
Leaguesafe:

PAYMENTS

E-check: FREE

Balance Transfer (i.e. paying with previous winnings): FREE

Credit Card: 3% of the transaction amount

WITHDRAWALS

Amazon.com Gift Card claim code: no cost

E-check: $5.00

Paper check (standard): $2.00

Paper check (expedited): $7.00
One of reason we are considering going to Leaguesafe next year is the Free Payments and the Free Amazon gift card.. So no Fees. Guessing most take the Cash options or pay by credit card as otherwise the site would never make any money..

You can always find something to buy at Amazon and therefore you are "forced" to use the winnings to buy something for yourself rather then just spend it on day to day items. :)

Has anyone tried contacting Leaguesafe and asking what safeguards are in place and why we should trust LS other than Charch is an owner?

A few random thoughts...

With Leaguesafe any owner can log in at any time and see that the money is there.

Additionally, once the season starts you can't do anything with the money even as Commisioner.

As far as Paul/Leaguesafe itself, what's to stop your bank from running off with all your money? At some point it comes down to trust and the possibility of legal action if that trust is broken.

I feel a LOT more comfortable treating Leaguesafe as a bank than I do Eddie in Topeka.

A few random thoughts...With Leaguesafe any owner can log in at any time and see that the money there.
I could also log in a see the money is not there which is exactly what happened with Phenoms. IF Leaguesafe is not using a third party escrow now, you can bet they are quietly searching out a way to do so to appease the masses. This topic is not going to go away until they provide this answer and they know it.There are too many burned bridges and people out there now. We were naive but this is a flash point moment in the FF world IMO.

This was my thought as well and I had assumptions that escrow companies had additional legal licensing requirements, rules and restrictions. This may not be the case would certainly like to hear what the owner has to say.

Comparing a real bank stealing your money and league safe is insane. It is way easier to sue a bank and recover your money vs. league safe or Phenoms. I am not in the banking industry, but I am sure their are safe guards in place to protect the people from such a thing.

This was my thought as well and I had assumptions that escrow companies had additional legal licensing requirements, rules and restrictions. This may not be the case would certainly like to hear what the owner has to say.
This is from their Facebook page, though I don't know enough to say exactly what it means...

LeagueSafe is an online escrow service that secures and manages fantasy leagues’ finances. Pay your fantasy league and office pool entry fees online, knowing the funds will be paid out quickly and securely at the end of the season.

Comparing a real bank stealing your money and league safe is insane. It is way easier to sue a bank and recover your money vs. league safe or Phenoms. I am not in the banking industry, but I am sure their are safe guards in place to protect the people from such a thing.
Different strokes. I think a business with five employees that's dedicated to collecting and holding money, with at least some safeguards in place, is a lot safer than some guy who's also Commishing the leagues through reputation alone and has access to the $$ at any time.

And if it's a formal escrow even better.

This is from their Facebook page, though I don't know enough to say exactly what it means...
LeagueSafe is an online escrow service that secures and manages fantasy leagues’ finances. Pay your fantasy league and office pool entry fees online, knowing the funds will be paid out quickly and securely at the end of the season.
I think it's pretty straightforward. LeagueSafe considers itself an escrow service. LeagueSafe protects you from deadbeat managers and scumbag commissioners, but nobody is protecting you from LeagueSafe. Granted, "Charch in Minneapolis" feels better than "Eddie in Topeka", but both carry the same sort of risks as "Mike at Phenoms" IMHO.

I have used League Safe in the past, both as a player and as Commish, without issue. It has been reliable and good, for binding together a League of semi-strangers, online. So I have nothing but speculation to add to the notion that it might one day rip persons off.

On a side note, I don't play in those types of Leagues any more, because they are not rewarding emotionally, IMO.

What's more fulfilling is to play with friends/colleagues/acquaintances, with whom you might socialize, enjoy a pint, watch the games, and who function as a real part of your social network.

With a reliable dude as your Commish, handling cash fees, it renders League Safe obsolete. If you're not making the effort to play in such a league, assuming it's possible, then I would suggest you're missing the point of all this....and you might better use your time and intellect just betting/gambling on sports or Daily leagues.

Regardless, there is always some measure of 'mandatory trust', in the handling of money in a sports-Pool.

The guy who runs it has showed up here before, perhaps he'll weigh in again:

My name is Paul Charchian. I'm the president of LeagueSafe, and I'm a huge supporter of FootballGuys, and in particular, Joe, David, and Sigmund.

I want to start by offering apologies to Jared for his frustration with the situation. You feel that you've been slighted by $300. And rightfully so. You have been.

I also want to apologize to Joe and David, people I've known for over a decade, for having this thread in their community. I'm sorry this has come to your house.

LeagueSafe handles hundreds of thousands of transactions. Virtually all of them go exactly as expected. This is an exception. And, we take it very seriously.

I'm very proud of LeagueSafe's track record. When we started LeagueSafe in 2008-2009, lots of people in these forums posted assurances that LeagueSafe would steal everyone's money. That LeagueSafe would be out of business in a year or two.

Instead, we've seamlessly paid everyone. We've paid out many millions of dollars, and nobody has been shorted a penny. We've provided a dramatic improvement in league security over PayPal and snailmail. I encourage people to search the Shark Pool for stories of people who have been screwed out of money. You'll quickly see dozens of stories of commissioners running off with league funds when people didn't use LeagueSafe.

LeagueSafe is designed to be a solution, not a problem. Of course, we're not perfect. Which brings me back to Jared's situation.

Jared, you've been swindled.

Josh stole $300 from your league when he A) asked us for a refund, B) didn't tell your league he had done so, and C) then played out his team for half a season before bailing on a losing team. That's stealing, plain and simple.

I can't help but wonder if Josh would have bailed in week seven if his team was 6-1.

In my eyes, 99% of this situation is on Josh's shoulders. He's the bad guy here. It's not Beth or Laura or Jared or Paul. Josh knowingly, purposefully, stole from you and your league. I imagine Josh could be reading this right now, and smiling with the knowledge that he's stolen $300, yet LeagueSafe is being vilified.

Did LeagueSafe help Josh steal? When someone asks LeagueSafe for a refund, we don't know the circumstances. I think everyone will agree, we can't possibly know how legitimate the request is. We follow our guidelines. When Josh made the request, we were obligated to honor it. We did.

While we strive to maintain the integrity of each league's funds, we are also responsible to each individual. Had we denied Josh's refund in July, we would have been violating our duty to him, and our own Terms of Service.

Should LeagueSafe have notified the Jared when Josh was refunded? We posted an entry on the league's home page, notifying the league that Josh had been given a refund. We weren't obligated to. As we learn from #######s like Josh, we may need to offer more reporting of refunds.

As most of you know, LeagueSafe is a trailblazing product. When I created LeagueSafe, there was nothing like it on the market. Even today, we believe we have 99% of the escrow business. That means that scams, like Josh's, get tried on us first.

There are no templates for us to follow. Things happen that we can't anticipate. Or things happen that we anticipate incorrectly. We're human, and we're learning as we grow to accommodate our expanding user base…a user base that has people like Josh in it.

Jared, I believe that LeagueSafe acted in 100% accordance with the Terms of Service on our site every step of the way. I also believe that Josh is the villain. He stole from you and your league. LeagueSafe has no obligation to double the wrongdoing and pay another $300. LeagueSafe won't do it.

But I will. Personally. I will buy Josh's ####ty team for $300. I will run it, try to improve it, and hopefully someday, resell it, and get my money back.

I hope you will accept this offer. It puts $300 back in your league, and it protects the integrity of your league by putting a motivated owner in charge of Josh's team.

I have used League Safe in the past, both as a player and as Commish, without issue. It has been reliable and good, for binding together a League of semi-strangers, online. So I have nothing but speculation to add to the notion that it might one day rip persons off.

On a side note, I don't play in those types of Leagues any more, because they are not rewarding emotionally, IMO.

What's more fulfilling is to play with friends/colleagues/acquaintances, with whom you might socialize, enjoy a pint, watch the games, and who function as a real part of your social network.

With a reliable dude as your Commish, handling cash fees, it renders League Safe obsolete. If you're not making the effort to play in such a league, assuming it's possible, then I would suggest you're missing the point of all this....and you might better use your time and intellect just betting/gambling on sports or Daily leagues.

Regardless, there is always some measure of 'mandatory trust', in the handling of money in a sports-Pool.
Actually with our local league we are considering going to leaguesafe because I hate being the one holding the money...

If I win anything (We pay out top 3 for the year, and then top 3 for the championship rounds) I don't pay myself as I had the money all along and it just takes the wind out of the win..

With LeagueSafe, and using the Amazon Gift card, if I manage to win something then at least I actually feel like I won something.. :)

Honestly, the best way to play is find a good honest commissioner to run the league. I know we have asked for a forum where league members can ask and rate the commissioners of their leagues; wonder if that is still a possible.

BroadwayG said:
wdcrob said:
Sure. They could empty all the money from the bank and run off with it.

But so could your bank.
Does the FDIC cover leaguesafe?
I am not trying to troll and I honestly don't know the answer, but I thought the FDIC covered theft from the bank, like robbery, identity theft and such.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:

My name is Paul Charchian. I'm the president of LeagueSafe, and I'm a huge supporter of FootballGuys, and in particular, Joe, David, and Sigmund.

I want to start by offering apologies to Jared for his frustration with the situation. You feel that you've been slighted by $300. And rightfully so. You have been.

I also want to apologize to Joe and David, people I've known for over a decade, for having this thread in their community. I'm sorry this has come to your house.

LeagueSafe handles hundreds of thousands of transactions. Virtually all of them go exactly as expected. This is an exception. And, we take it very seriously.

I'm very proud of LeagueSafe's track record. When we started LeagueSafe in 2008-2009, lots of people in these forums posted assurances that LeagueSafe would steal everyone's money. That LeagueSafe would be out of business in a year or two.

Instead, we've seamlessly paid everyone. We've paid out many millions of dollars, and nobody has been shorted a penny. We've provided a dramatic improvement in league security over PayPal and snailmail. I encourage people to search the Shark Pool for stories of people who have been screwed out of money. You'll quickly see dozens of stories of commissioners running off with league funds when people didn't use LeagueSafe.

LeagueSafe is designed to be a solution, not a problem. Of course, we're not perfect. Which brings me back to Jared's situation.

Josh stole $300 from your league when he A) asked us for a refund, B) didn't tell your league he had done so, and C) then played out his team for half a season before bailing on a losing team. That's stealing, plain and simple.

I can't help but wonder if Josh would have bailed in week seven if his team was 6-1.

In my eyes, 99% of this situation is on Josh's shoulders. He's the bad guy here. It's not Beth or Laura or Jared or Paul. Josh knowingly, purposefully, stole from you and your league. I imagine Josh could be reading this right now, and smiling with the knowledge that he's stolen $300, yet LeagueSafe is being vilified.

Did LeagueSafe help Josh steal? When someone asks LeagueSafe for a refund, we don't know the circumstances. I think everyone will agree, we can't possibly know how legitimate the request is. We follow our guidelines. When Josh made the request, we were obligated to honor it. We did.

While we strive to maintain the integrity of each league's funds, we are also responsible to each individual. Had we denied Josh's refund in July, we would have been violating our duty to him, and our own Terms of Service.

Should LeagueSafe have notified the Jared when Josh was refunded? We posted an entry on the league's home page, notifying the league that Josh had been given a refund. We weren't obligated to. As we learn from #######s like Josh, we may need to offer more reporting of refunds.

As most of you know, LeagueSafe is a trailblazing product. When I created LeagueSafe, there was nothing like it on the market. Even today, we believe we have 99% of the escrow business. That means that scams, like Josh's, get tried on us first.

There are no templates for us to follow. Things happen that we can't anticipate. Or things happen that we anticipate incorrectly. We're human, and we're learning as we grow to accommodate our expanding user base…a user base that has people like Josh in it.

Jared, I believe that LeagueSafe acted in 100% accordance with the Terms of Service on our site every step of the way. I also believe that Josh is the villain. He stole from you and your league. LeagueSafe has no obligation to double the wrongdoing and pay another $300. LeagueSafe won't do it.

But I will. Personally. I will buy Josh's ####ty team for $300. I will run it, try to improve it, and hopefully someday, resell it, and get my money back.

I hope you will accept this offer. It puts $300 back in your league, and it protects the integrity of your league by putting a motivated owner in charge of Josh's team.
What thread is this from? I suck at searching apparently.

BroadwayG said:
wdcrob said:

But so could your bank.
I am not trying to troll and I honestly don't know the answer, but I thought the FDIC covered theft from the bank, like robbery, identity theft and such.
In short, it will cover the funds if the bank fails but not from theft.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:

What thread is this from? I suck at searching apparently.
Where you see Charch, on 01 Nov 2013 - 6:44 PM, said: .......go all the way to the right and you'll see the 'arrow'
snapback.png

Click on it and it'll take you to that thread.

BroadwayG said:
wdcrob said:

But so could your bank.
LeagueSafe is the bank's customer; LeagueSafe withdrawing money isn't theft from the bank's perspective (or from FDIC's).

BroadwayG said:
wdcrob said:

But so could your bank.
Banks have independent insurance to cover theft. Either way, Leaguesafe and bank not close to fair comparison.

BroadwayG said:
FatJerry - Did this Paul Charchian guy pee in your cereal? You seem intent on crapping all over LeagueSafe.

I get why companies like LeagueSafe exist, the business model is pretty straight forward. Why you would want someone to act as the middlemen and beneficiary of time/value of your league funds is illogical to me given downside risks. Why not:

* open a high interest online savings account with no fees on minimums and free EFTs

* deposit league fees at beginning of year

* disburse payouts to winners at end of year

* take any interest accrued and use that $12 or so ($100/team in a 12 man league at an APY of 1%) to buy 120 10 cent wings at a playoff party for the league at the end of the season.

Win wins all around.

Evil G said:

Exactly, and think of it this way: Why doesn't every owner join a league and every owner play the season and then, at the end, send what they owe promptly to the guy who wins? ANSWER: Because NOBODY trusts anyone that much...But for some reason, they still do that. They just whittle down their odds to trusting 15 strangers down to trusting one.

BroadwayG said:
FatJerry - Did this Paul Charchian guy pee in your cereal? You seem intent on crapping all over LeagueSafe.
I am crapping over them by stating what they are? If education is crapping then yes. My only point when it comes to them is that they are no different then Phenoms when it comes to the security of you money. He can take the money just like Unlucky did. I am not saying that he is going too but there are no more safeguards in place with him than there was with Phenoms. It still is simply a trust thing unless they have safeguards in place that are not public.

BroadwayG said:
I am crapping over them by stating what they are? If education is crapping then yes. My only point when it comes to them is that they are no different then Phenoms when it come to the security of you money. He can take the money just like Unlucky did. I am not going to say that he is going too but there are no more safeguards in place with him than there was with Phenoms. It still is simply a trust thing.
By LeagueSafe saying they are "like an escrow service" it seems like they may have unintentionally (IMO) misrepresented to their customers what they do. I'm not sure where they have deposited all those funds, but the same authority that they have to issue payments from that account to league winners at the end of the season is very likely the same authority that they would need to transfer the money to their own personal account or to their own operating account.

By LeagueSafe saying they are "like an escrow service" it seems like they may have unintentionally (IMO) misrepresented to their customers what they do. I'm not sure where they have deposited all those funds.
Time for this Paul guy to step in and discuss how the funds are held. What prevents him from pulling the millions out of US Bank in cash and then heading for Latin America...

I get why companies like LeagueSafe exist, the business model is pretty straight forward. Why you would want someone to act as the middlemen and beneficiary of time/value of your league funds is illogical to me given downside risks. Why not:

* open a high interest online savings account with no fees on minimums and free EFTs

* take any interest accrued and use that $12 or so ($100/team in a 12 man league at an APY of 1%) to buy 120 10 cent wings at a playoff party for the league at the end of the season.

Win wins all around.
and if your playing with a bunch of strangers how does the four things you listed work? some stranger still has to be in charge of the cash don't they? I get what you are saying because I just play in local leagues, but going by the phenoms thread a lot of people play with complete strangers.

By LeagueSafe saying they are "like an escrow service" it seems like they may have unintentionally (IMO) misrepresented to their customers what they do. I'm not sure where they have deposited all those funds.
Time for this Paul guy to step in and discuss how the funds are held. What prevents him from pulling the millions out of US Bank in cash and then heading for Latin America...
Ultimately nothing. That's the point. You either trust the entity you're doing business with, or you don't.

I mean, if Charch comes in here and tells you where the money is, what difference does that make? If you tell me what bank you keep all your money in, that won't stop you from withdrawing it all tomorrow. It would do me no good to know it used to be in an account at Bank of America yesterday if, today, it's in a duffel bag in your car. :shrug:

That's the big thing I don't get in a lot of these discussions. FDIC insurance doesn't do you any good. Seeing screenshots of bank statements doesn't do you any good. At the end of the day you're giving someone your money and trusting that they'll give it back to you later.

Ultimately nothing. That's the point. You either trust the entity you're doing business with, or you don't.

I mean, if Charch comes in here and tells you where the money is, what difference does that make? If you tell me what bank you keep all your money in, that won't stop you from withdrawing it all tomorrow. It would do me no good to know it used to be in an account at Bank of America yesterday if, today, it's in a duffel bag in your car. :shrug:

That's the big thing I don't get in a lot of these discussions. FDIC insurance doesn't do you any good. Seeing screenshots of bank statements doesn't do you any good. At the end of the day you're giving someone your money and trusting that they'll give it back to you later.
That's what I meant when I said they have, intentionally or not, misrepresented what they do. A true escrow service can only distribute to the appropriate people, and can't be accessed by others. In real estate transactions, that money is held there so no one can pull it back and it ends up in the right party's hands once everything is settled. I'm not a LeagueSafe user but it seems from reading some of these posts that a good number of people felt like their league's 12 entry fees of $100 each could only legally or operationally be distributed to the determined winner(s) at the end of the season. And that's not the case.

wdcrob said:
A few random thoughts...

With Leaguesafe any owner can log in at any time and see that the money is there.

Additionally, once the season starts you can't do anything with the money even as Commisioner.

As far as Paul/Leaguesafe itself, what's to stop your bank from running off with all your money? At some point it comes down to trust and the possibility of legal action if that trust is broken.

I feel a LOT more comfortable treating Leaguesafe as a bank than I do Eddie in Topeka.
Banks are insured by the the U.S. government.

It makes the difference that he's being honest with his customers. If you want me to trust you then you tell me exactly how your business operates and let me decide if the risk is worth it.

Instead, we've seamlessly paid everyone. We've paid out many millions of dollars, and nobody has been shorted a penny.
Phenoms started in 2008 and seamlessly paid out millions of dollars...until the day the owner decided not to.

Instead, we've seamlessly paid everyone. We've paid out many millions of dollars, and nobody has been shorted a penny.
Phenoms started in 2008 and seamlessly paid out millions of dollars...until the day the owner decided not to.
And I do not see anyway that leaguesafe can operate without losing boatloads of money without have Paul having the same access to the account with the money is in as Mike from Phenoms did. You simply can not set up a trust account for every league they collect money for.

cstu said:
POTA said:

The site says to 'think of it as escrow for fantasy leagues', but I've seen nothing to indicate a 3rd party is involved.

At the moment I believe Charchian himself has full control of the funds. Waiting to see what he has to say.
also if you use leaguesafe be prepared to have the IRS involved.

cstu said:
POTA said:

I read about that when LS was sending out Visa cards, but if you get an Amazon card it shouldn't involve the IRS.

Win wins all around.
and if your playing with a bunch of strangers how does the four things you listed work? some stranger still has to be in charge of the cash don't they? I get what you are saying because I just play in local leagues, but going by the phenoms thread a lot of people play with complete strangers.
Good point. Didn't realize that this may be the primary use case for a site like this, had just assumed that daily fantasy sites takes away any need to play in stranger leagues.

cstu said:
POTA said:

I read about that when LS was sending out Visa cards, but if you get an Amazon card it shouldn't involve the IRS.
Why shouldn't it involve the IRS? If the IRS requests the information of who is being paid with an Amazon card in lieu of cash, can Amazon refuse to provide it? If it is considered reportable income, an Amazon card shouldn't be treated any differently than a Visa card (otherwise this is a great tax loophole that I need to look into).

I have always wondered how LeagueSafe is possibly profitable to run. It's a great service as a commish not to have to worry about collecting payments and to have that transparency and flexibility in payouts. But the amount of profit they make vs. the amount deposited and escrowed has to be miniscule.

Users who are viewing this thread