What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I hate drinking... (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
Because the hangovers ####### suck when you get older. Im 36. Is there anyway to avoid these horrible hangovers. I get hangovers from as little as 4 beers now. Supposed to goto a beerfest in a few weeks and a wedding in October and im not even excited cuz im already worried about the horrible hangover im gonna have.

Don't know why but I've usually avoided heavy hangovers. Lots of water before you sleep usually works for me.

Everyone is different. I quit drinking at 38. One of the reasons was the anxiety brought on from the hangovers and not sleeping well.

I love how my life is now progressing.

I've never had a big issue with hangovers but I don't drink hard liquor. I can finish 6-10 beers and spilt a couple of bottles of wine with no problem. I'm 50 now, not sure how long that'll be true though. Did it last night and I'm up for work now with no ill effects. I'm sure I'll be tired when I get home.

Because the hangovers ####### suck when you get older. Im 36. Is there anyway to avoid these horrible hangovers. I get hangovers from as little as 4 beers now. Supposed to goto a beerfest in a few weeks and a wedding in October and im not even excited cuz im already worried about the horrible hangover im gonna have.
The hangovers get worse and worse as you get older (unless you decide to get in really good shape and only drink occasionally). If they're a big problem now, they're likely not going to get any better. It's also a personal thing, this hangover business, as jamny points out. Somebody also mentioned hangover anxiety, which can really mess up your life. It's a very real thing, and something to watch out for. That's when you wind up in bad situations or doing the old hair of the dog trick. If that -- or any other mental aspect of hangovers -- becomes a life issue, I'd do what the poster suggested, and quit drinking altogether, which is a lot harder than it sounds, no doubt.

If you just don't feel good physically, that's a different story -- that's a bit more manageable, but still no fun.

Anyway, I figure you're in here just to commiserate after a rough night, but I figured I'd post this regardless.

I am the same way now. I was am completely useless until about 6 pm the day after I drink. I feel so horrible can't do anything. Coconut water before bed makes a huge difference in preventing it.

It happens the most with me if I am mixing drinks (beer, wine, mixed drinks with liquor, etc.). With the water, you really should be drinking at least 1 water for every 2 drinks. Some people say you should alternate 1 for 1. Another thing that helps me sometimes is if you pop a couple of aspirin BEFORE you go to bed.

What beer were you drinking?
well its usually high alcohol content IPAs
I don't drink IPAs because of this. Last hangover I had was off four pints of Bell's Two Hearted Ale over the course of a few hours.

I stick to Heineken if I'm only having 1 or 2; Coors Light if I'm planning on having a few more than that (e.g. football game)
This is true. The summer ales I've been drinking are usually lower alcohol content. Plus, it's throughout the day, not just from 6 or 7pm on.

4 bottles of a high end ipa (and some wine) are usually all I do.

I've always found if you have a couple of beers the night before something like a beerfest or wedding, it'll help. Might be my imagination.

It happens the most with me if I am mixing drinks (beer, wine, mixed drinks with liquor, etc.). With the water, you really should be drinking at least 1 water for every 2 drinks. Some people say you should alternate 1 for 1. Another thing that helps me sometimes is if you pop a couple of aspirin BEFORE you go to bed.
:goodposting: All of this.

Thats the other thing. Ever since a few years ago when I lost 60lbs i rarely drink anymore. Never on the weekdays, maybe once or twice a month on weekends.

Excedrin, Gatorade, Xanax, steak, blow job. No muss, no fuss.

You just need to drink more water. If not throughout the night, before you go to bed. A few pints before bed and you'll be fine in the morning.

Dirty tap lines can also be responsible for nasty hangovers.

Take a B12 before you start drinking, have plenty of water and pop off a couple of aspiran or another B12 right before bed and drink down with a large glass of water.

For really bad benders where you didn't follow the above, you need to taper off over the next two days. 3-4 beers the day after and 2 beers the following day.

Smoke weed when you wake up with a hangover. If you're going to be sluggish anyway, you might as well not have the pounding headache and feeling like crap.

at least it's good beer, that is usually my problem. Three or four craft beers, all good. Three or four piss water beers, feel like ####. Maybe go with something more in the 5-6% range and see if that helps.
Complete opposite for me. I can drink a dozen Bud Lights and be fine the next day. Drink 7-8 craft, hoppy beers and I get a terrible headache.

at least it's good beer, that is usually my problem. Three or four craft beers, all good. Three or four piss water beers, feel like ####. Maybe go with something more in the 5-6% range and see if that helps.
Complete opposite for me. I can drink a dozen Bud Lights and be fine the next day. Drink 7-8 craft, hoppy beers and I get a terrible headache.
Well yeah you're getting like 3 times the alcohol.

Same. I'm a beer snob. But I can't take more than two 20-oz craft IPAs else I'll wake up with a hangover. For the most part, I only partake in those occasionally and my go-to beer now at home is PBR.

I have found along with staying hydrated as already mentioned that eating before bed helps a lot.

I have also started drinking the types of drinks that in theory you don't drink fast, such as wine. Keeping my pace slow and methodical.

I'm one if I am not careful can be wrecked for a couple days just from moderate drinking or can drink heavily and wake up the next day and hit the gym right away.

Most important thing is to realize your body changes and your drinking habits have to reflect that. I can't drink like I did when I was 25. Pay attention to what you did when you wake up feeling good and what you did when you wake up feeling bad. Monitor and adjust accordingly. Not as fun as just pounding some brews with the bros but your body will appreciate it the next day.

Take a 5hr an hr or two before you start drinking to prevent. Take one during the hangover to heal. That's if it isn't a full blown bed all day kind of hangover. No cure for that but time. If you are actually semi functional a 5hr will get you back to good.

Last night I drank beer, wine, champagne, tequila, more beer and Rumple Mintze and then more beer. I'm probably still drunk and my head feels like it got run over.

Hangover headaches are typically caused by either toxins as a result of aging in wood (not your issue with beer) or dehydration. Make sure you are staying well hydrated before you begin drinking. I find eating something spicy before bed is a good idea. It will cause you to drink more water.

I agree with those who say to hydrate before bed. The weird thing for me is that once I switched to bourbon I no longer have headaches and hangovers. It's really strange. I can drink all the bourbon I want, and I usually feel pretty decent in the morning.

It only gets worse, Shady (I'm 48 now, and in my mid 30's I noticed the things you are). You can do all the aspirin / water things (which do help to a degree), but as you get older, you'll still feel "off" the next day if you go to bed with a buzz.

What worked / works for me is to simply drink a little slower, a little less, and finish up a little earlier. I drink less than one an hour now (if I finish a beer quick, I'll have a water), and I rarely go beyond 3-4. At first, I had a little anxiety in hanging out w/ people / etc (because I was always an 8-10 beer guy, got a nice buzz on, etc), and I noticed that was all internal - when you're an adult, nobody around you cares how much / how little you drink (or even notices.) And I also noticed I had just as good a time having 3-4 drinks as I did having 8+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. I'm a beer snob. But I can't take more than two 20-oz craft IPAs else I'll wake up with a hangover. For the most part, I only partake in those occasionally and my go-to beer now at home is PBR.
Um. No.

I agree with those who say to hydrate before bed. The weird thing for me is that once I switched to bourbon I no longer have headaches and hangovers. It's really strange. I can drink all the bourbon I want, and I usually feel pretty decent in the morning.
You might have an allergy to beer.

When I was drinking IPAs I was starting to get some nasty hangovers. I like drinking beer but hate the hangovers. Switched to Milled Lite and I can drink 8-10 without a hangover.

3 glasses of water before bed. keep ibuprofen on your nightstand and take it around 6am (i usually wake up around that time after drinking). i usually do 800mg.

what's worse for me is I can't sleep past 7 when i drink. i just writhe around in bed for 3 hours and give up at 10. my sleep in general is pretty bad after drinking.

I drink a lot of IPAs...I think the only time I get hangovers is when I overdo it. Some of those big beers sneak up on me. Of course I always think I can crack open another bomber and be fine when I should be hitting the pillow.

Don't know what you can do to avoid it if its happening after 4-5 beers.

Eta: I'm 44.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up with you middle age #######? I'm 43 and haven't noticed worse hangovers at all. While I don't drink as much as I did in college I can hold my own against 20 something's that I work or play ball with. I do agree with staying hydrated...drink a ton of water all day before you go out and that should help.

Users who are viewing this thread