What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I bought into a "Craft" Beer n Wine store with a Drive-Thru (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Was a long time customer and will be turning 50 next year, tired of working or doing things I don't truly enjoy so i simply approached the owner who does not drink much of the beers he sells, and I asked him if he was interested in selling it to me. He's owned it 8-9 years, I met him when I first moved into the area and we chat often when i am in the store.

-This place sells the kinds of beers you simply cannot buy elsewhere or i will say the local grocery store. Total Wine? Perhaps but most of their beers do not sit in coolers and when you start getting into the sour beer market which is running rampant right now, you could buy a beer that has been sitting on their shelf for several months when it clearly is listed that it should be stored in a cooler. And I hear about it from the people who frequent our store.

Back to the story, I approached the owner about taking over the store and buying him out...his honest response was "I don't know what i would do" and I quickly did a pivot and started talking about expanding his business and getting a 2nd location started anywhere like downtown WPB, Ft Laud, MIA, wherever a price insensitive beer market exists, we need to service them.

-We sell plenty of Cigar City Jai-Alaii for $12,99 a 6-pack, in fact we stock a lot of $12.99 craft beers but we also carry some exotic **** the likes I had never experienced like "Ever Haze" by "Trippin Animals" out of Miami/Doral, simply the best Hazy iPA these lips have ever experienced and I'm sure there are others that are better. It also cost $21 for a 4-Pack of Tall Boys...let that sink in a minute. I know some of you don't even blink but it gets a lot pricier for even more exotic brews like "Other Half" which I can't even hardly get delivered, always out of stock.

And just to share with some of you, for me to open a 2nd location, gonna take a 7 days a week commitment, we can barely staff the store we have now. 10am-8pm, we don't even try to sell into the dark hours, the drive-thru is fun and all (I get to see everyone in the little city) but it becomes a liability after the sun goes down. Anyone driving thru there after 8 is typically intoxicated, we just prefer to pass on that business. Honestly, MoP would like some of that business but better thinking heads prevail here.

Here is my Top 5 Craft/Hipster Breweries in Florida from all my visits in the last 12-18 months

1. Tripping Animals-Miami/Doral...Simply the Bomb! No Mames(Mexican Lager) Ever Haze (Hazy IPA), Koopa Troopers(Pislner), and just about every Sour Beer I have tried from them just explodes in the taste buds and mouth. I have not visited the Brewery in person and honestly, their code of conduct almost scares me from making an in person visit. Look 'em up, I'm sure many of you will flock there on your next visit to Miami. How good is their beer if I am ribbing them a bit and still they are a clear #1 on my list. "Hounds of Hades" amazing marshmallow beer mix sour. And one more, they released a Triple-IPA with a hazy/citra vibraton called "Irie Jungle" and it's 10% and it's JUICY as Fruck, I bought every last can we had, they sit in my fridge waiting to be popped one a t a time on special nights.

2. Ellipsis Brewing- O-Town, best Sours pretty much across the board for me. They have a blue marshmallow that is outstanding and will make your wives/special someones want to jump you on Saturday Nights.

3. Woven Water- Tampa...Failsafe, Czech-Pils and a nice price point at $12.99, want to step up to their Hazy IPAs? They make incredible beers and small batch releases on the Sours that rock. .

4. 3-Sons-Dania Beach/Hollywood, They make a bunch of good ones but their Dopalicious which is a Hazy IPA inspiration, Nighty Night Night. i took a bunch of them with me up into NC on a Brew Tour, that should mean something.

5. Angry Chair and Ology- I have visited both in Tampa although they originate out of Tallahassee. I could tell you all about the stouts that built Angry Chair but the reality is all we get is Space Grass and then IPA releases like "The Rake" which is a Double-IPA but you never would know from the can which has almost nothing printed or identifiable on it. Which is why i started a color coding system i stole off Willards in St Pete/Largo, now there's a name drop baby. They have IPA-Greens, Stout/Porter-Brown, Pils-Yellow, Sour-Blue, etc...we started putting magnet tags under these crazy crafts so folks know what they are looking at.

I didn't say much about Ology but they sell a lot of Rose Colored Glasses-Sour and they have a nice citra-hazy we can't always get shipped because they run out.

Ask any questions you like, Im not a sudden beer aficionado but I have a pretty good idea what sells and what's pretty darn good. That said, there's a lot of IPAs we sell that i do not care for such as "077XX" I think is the name and it's a NJ Brew, we get a lot of folks from the Northeast and we try and take requests. This East Coast style IPA did not make me feel good, yet a lot of folks seem to like it.

-As a special aside to those that have reached out to me, I understand doubling down and getting involved in beer distribution is not what some of you want to hear. But I've never been happier
-I get the controls all day on Saturday, it's our biggest sales day by a mile and I've increased sales a lot since I took over. One of the things I implemented was better music, we play Underground House all day on my Soundcloud App/Account.

"SeanAngela" in case you want to reach out, I have over 250+ sets linked on there. Breaks/House and other stuff, lot of old school from the 90s.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Some of the Non-Florida crafts that I have personally tasted and really like to include but are not limited to...

-Equilibrium Brewery out of MiddleHell, NY, sorry Middletown
Just an amazing brewery and their Double-IPAs in the hazy style are quite mind numbing and easy to digest

-KCBC-Brooklyn, NY...I'll take Gulp Fiction for $1,200 Mayim..."This Dry Hopped Double-IPA....

-Edmunds Oast, Charleston, SC "Black-IPA" good luck finding it but when you do, try some, it's delicious and the "black-IPA" does it no favors. It's SMOOTH!

-Finback...Clouds? OMG! perfect IPA if you ask me. We got a fresh case in and I took one for home immediately. DELICIOUS!!!

Last edited:
Good luck MOP - did you quit your day job or doing this on top of it? Sorry if you said in OP and I missed it.
Good question

-Still work with Mrs in fundraising for the Univ of Miami, never been better on that front. I have a huge advantage on "Events" planning since i can bring in beer and alcohol easier.
-Want to transition into something I can work for the rest of my life. I still am working on launching a mortgage company/RE Investment as well, I have several burning souls in the fire
-The beer thing was easy to be honest. I have a working knowledge of a lot of the beers we feature and bring in, I pass out cards at the bier gardens that feature some of the more hard to find brews we feature..

Good for you that Cigar City’s sales are still strong, they are under the Anheiser Bsuch umbrella. We can’t give a Goose Island away here.
Good point, i try to pretend like Anheiser-Busch isn't a part of this but you would be wrong.
I basically store all the domestic in the back cooler but those drinkers know I have it as they run thru the Drive-Thru
Half the sales in the drive thru if not more are mostly domestic beers that anyone has on hand.
The craft drinkers tend to walk in and look around

Good for you that Cigar City’s sales are still strong, they are under the Anheiser Bsuch umbrella. We can’t give a Goose Island away here.
goose island has been bad for years, much like when ballast point was bought out, their beers just don’t taste as good anymore.
We don't carry Ballast Point for many of those reasons you mention
We have 9 primo coolers floor to 6 feet up i'll say. The next 4-5 doors are things like "Sierra Nevada Hazy" and Left Hand anything, Brooklyn Lager, all these "crafts" are readily available at most grocery stores, we pride ourselves on the stuff those places don't typically bring in and promote.

Of those 9 primo doors, i'll say the first 5 are all Florida craft beers like Woven Water, Angry Chair, Ology and the others I mentioned
I appreciate those who post in here, I'm not bragging because trust me, it's incredibly hard work. I'm even trying to introduce breweries we can't get here in Florida, and I'm trying to figure a way to connect them with distributors that can get us their product. Not as easy as you might think.

I appreciate any of the good vibes, no matter the vertical it's not easy trying to run a business.
Appreciate all the feedback

FWIW I live not far from Other Half’s upstate location in Bloomfield NY. Let me know if I can help you out…
I just had the Forever and Ever and it's F-BomB delicious.
This stuff is upwards of $33 for a 4-pack of tall boys.

The Citra Everything ain't worth it
Green City is worth mortgaging your future
The Forever is mighty damn good, maybe worth taking a loan out

I would lose my mind at that joint if I could get there on a daily basis
DANG!

FWIW I live not far from Other Half’s upstate location in Bloomfield NY. Let me know if I can help you out…

DANG!
You're able to sell OH at $33 for a 4-pack? Goes for like $18 at my local Wegmans. Keep making that money while you can.

I don't believe that's accurate. Cigar City sold to Oskar Blue's back in 2016 or 2017 and they merged in a couple other regional brewers to form CANarchy Collective which was later sold to Monster Beverage. Lots of rumors over the years about AB-Inbev and Cigar City but I don't believe any have ever come to fruition.

DANG!
You're able to sell OH at $33 for a 4-pack? Goes for like $18 at my local Wegmans. Keep making that money while you can.
We are taking action and bringing in more of the affordable $12.99 6-packs but the exotic taste buds of some pushes the higher priced crafts.
We also are situated in a little nook in Jupiter, not too far from the beach and US1

28% is the standard mark up across the board FYI and then we got overhead and pay some staff, that's why I would like to open another location and reach more peeps.
$12.99 x 28% isn't a lot of money but we move those a little faster than the other beers I mentioned up top.
We do a $12.99 mix n match of the cans with certain labels like Cigar City, Sunshine, Sailfish, Copperpoint, you can build your own 6-pack with the singles we set up in the coolers.

Last edited:
Also look into Mortalis brewing, fantastic fruited sours and stouts. This is minutes from me along with OH Bloomfield. Would be willing to work something out with shipping if it makes sense. Let me know

28% is the standard mark up across the board FYI
Really? I ran a liquor store back in the '80s and our markups were much higher. There were no craft beers then, just "exotic" imports like Stella and stuff. We marked up 6 packs 50%, 12 packs 33%, and cases 25%. Singles, no matter the size, were 100% markups.

Woven Water :thumbup:
We visited that place last month, they still had this Shamrock sour-smoothie, smoothie-sour, that's how I would describe it and it was minty.
I had never had anything like it. I bought a 4-pack to take with me since it's not sold anywhere but in their brewery.

We get "FailSafe" which i like a lot and it particularly pours well in those European .5L glass steins with the dimples
Lucid is another we get, hazy IPA I believe. And we get a sour called "Killing Time" and that sells pretty well. I have never actually had that one but I like most of the Woven Water
We just got a new something yesterday that was sent to us, crazy color can, I'm betting its a sour.

It's about 1 mile from my favorite spot, La Terasita.
Drink then go have a hot pressed cuban

I'd be more interested if you bought a pizza shop
The irony is there is a little restaurant/breakfast nook right next to us.
It literally just sold-changing hands after many years same family owned it. Who bought the place?
The man who owns the pizza joint I tend to frequent, just both the place next to us.

I am praying he turns the breakfast joint into a pizza spot, it would increase our beer sales with the foot traffic.
The breakfast spot is closed by about Noon-2 in the afternoon, we'd love to see something next door open later with a lot of folks going in and out of it all day

Woven Water :thumbup:
We visited that place last month, they still had this Shamrock sour-smoothie, smoothie-sour, that's how I would describe it and it was minty.
I had never had anything like it. I bought a 4-pack to take with me since it's not sold anywhere but in their brewery.

We get "FailSafe" which i like a lot and it particularly pours well in those European .5L glass steins with the dimples
Lucid is another we get, hazy IPA I believe. And we get a sour called "Killing Time" and that sells pretty well. I have never actually had that one but I like most of the Woven Water
We just got a new something yesterday that was sent to us, crazy color can, I'm betting its a sour.

It's about 1 mile from my favorite spot, La Terasita.
Drink then go have a hot pressed cuban
Very familiar with it. My office is about a mile west

Really? I ran a liquor store back in the '80s and our markups were much higher. There were no craft beers then, just "exotic" imports like Stella and stuff. We marked up 6 packs 50%, 12 packs 33%, and cases 25%. Singles, no matter the size, were 100% markups.
Oh we could charge more, sure.
But we also cannot sell Jai-Alai for much more than what Publix charges.
Margins are tight and I would increase prices if we were closer to an urban sprawl with more foot traffic like downtown WPB

My biggest challenge is that 1 week a distributor will have the beer, then the next week I go to put in the order and they are out...especially the harder to find craft beers like "Other Half" which is why we put a lot of focus on the Florida Crafts.

Oh we could charge more, sure.
But we also cannot sell Jai-Alai for much more than what Publix charges.
Margins are tight and I would increase prices if we were closer to an urban sprawl with more foot traffic like downtown WPB

My biggest challenge is that 1 week a distributor will have the beer, then the next week I go to put in the order and they are out...especially the harder to find craft beers like "Other Half" which is why we put a lot of focus on the Florida Crafts.
I hear you. Where I was in Maryland, you only had dedicated liquor stores that sold alcohol, not places like Publix or Wal Mart.

Weldwerks out of Colorado, we got in a couple sour beers and then we also received "Juicy Bits?" And we also got "It's a Unicorn Thing"
These hazy IPAs are good but I just want to let it be known that there are so many good Hazy IPAs, it's hard to ever drink the same one repeatedly.
Ever Haze by the Trippin' Animals would be my go to all the time right now followed by Finback's Walk in the Clouds, both of them are super smooth and delightful.
But that doesn't mean the other 15 Hazy IPAs we have on the shelf are bad, they just all hit a solid strong rating and at times you are almost splitting hairs.

We finally got some Angry Chair Stout (Rocky Road, $10 a can), it's probably what put them on the map in the beginning especially being a Tallahassee Brewery in Florida, Stout was not and still is not a popular brew along the beaches.

I have a semi-sad story about the Drive-Thru w/o getting overly dramatic which is hard for me...lady pulls up in a rather large SUV and instead of rolling her window down, she opens the door to give me her order in the drive-thru...and so I made a quick joke, "Someone must have gotten their windows tinted" which happens all the time here in Florida except her driver side rear window was down most of the way and as I looked into the back seat there was a small child in a child safety seat(thank god) but the cutest little bundle of fluff you ever saw and her little blue eyes were locking in on me. I wouldn't have thought a lot about it EXCEPT, the woman driving acted confused when I made the joke about the windows being tinted and she was not in park and started rolling forward, almost over my foot so I quickly stepped back from the vehicle and yelled "Put it in Park!"

-1 in the afternoon I should mention

You don't even have to ask how this story unfolded. Even though we are under no legal obligations (Believe me, I've asked everyone involved) I felt an obligation to speak up and when she asked "Can I get?..." I simply said "I'm so sorry but I am going to have to say no and I would love it if you would just park under the big tree in the back and I'll bring you and that beautiful little girl some cold water, soft drinks and snacks, on me. There's no problem but I would feel a lot better if you would park and relax and let me help you."

We were able to phone a friend close by and get her out of the driver's seat, again I was told by others that I didn't have to get involved and that we are not legally responsible for what folks purchase. I'll take my chances losing a regular customer because I tell them they are too intoxicated in the drive-thru.

Last edited:
Cool new venture. Best of luck. Weldworks is really good, love juicy bits. The only Michigan brewery that I think is really special and distributes to Florida is Old Nation. M43 is an elite tier hazy IEP.

The price of beer is absurd. One of the main reasons I stepped up my homebrewing game.

I can brew 1/2 barrel batches of hazy IPA for the cost of a couple of 6-packs and I can brew whatever I want to drink, when I want to drink it.
How much is a half barrel? Is that a keg or half keg?

The price of beer is absurd. One of the main reasons I stepped up my homebrewing game.

I can brew 1/2 barrel batches of hazy IPA for the cost of a couple of 6-packs and I can brew whatever I want to drink, when I want to drink it.
1/6 barrel is about 5 gallons...41 pints or 55 12 oz pours
1/2 barrel is about 15.5 gallons...124 pints

I brew 1/2 barrel batches which gets me three 1/6 kegs. It is a little less than 7 cases of beer.

ETA: oops I see that MoP already answered

Shadowlock Pilsner-Buriel
We got 2 cases of it and with the 6-pack I took home it's completely gone.
Surf-Wax is another they sent us, Hazy IPA pretty delish. Be sold out of that by tomorrow afternoon.

We had a tasting tonight, Walking Tree out of Vero Beach, they sent the right guy, we partied in the store
Meanwhile a nice steady rain kept the drive thru busy most of the night.

Last edited:
I'm good at selling thru the beers I have tasted and given the thumbs up, it's not that hard.
What's challenging is we have so many beers, it's almost impossible to taste everything and make a strong recommendation based on first hand knowledge...but I'm trying
So we sold thru Finback-Clouds, Buriel-SurfWax and ALL Buriel beers we carry, Other Half, and mostly a lot of our Hazy and Double Dry Hopped IPAs even as early as Friday Night and we are open right thru Memorial Day so I had to stretch and get out of my comfort zone, try some others we have that for whatever reason are not flying out as fast as others.

I found one today that totally had my curiosity peaked and I decided to buy/pop one towards the end of my day today and had my associate try it with me to make sure I wasn't delirious and I bet a lot of folks who frequent here already are aware of this beer/brewery.

Abomination-Love Letters From Hell....Hazy T-IPA, that's a triple and a healthy 9.6%...OMyHolyG!
Milkshake Style Triple Pale Ale with candy hearts, sprinkles, marshmallows, ice cream, vanilla bean, strawberry, milk sugar and cocaine(j/k)
This stuff will make you voluntarily admit you are DB Cooper
I hear nothing but good stuff about CT beers and I want to bring in more, we only carry like 2-3 right now.

Last edited:
We were able to phone a friend close by and get her out of the driver's seat, again I was told by others that I didn't have to get involved and that we are not legally responsible for what folks purchase. I'll take my chances losing a regular customer because I tell them they are too intoxicated in the drive-thru.
I am sure it will just the one time.

Seems unlikely you will run into any more problem drinkers at your Florida DRIVE THRU BEER STORE.

Seems unlikely you will run into any more problem drinkers at your Florida DRIVE THRU BEER STORE.
Maybe if I wear a tuxedo in the drive thru, send a message that we wear caps and sleeves at this level?
I hear you and knew it would be an issue, just didn't think it would pop up in the first couple days.

I had a couple of repeat customers today in the drive-thru, none of them gave off a drunk vibe or altered state like this lady the other day.

Maybe if I wear a tuxedo in the drive thru, send a message that we wear caps and sleeves at this level?
I hear you and knew it would be an issue, just didn't think it would pop up in the first couple days.

I had a couple of repeat customers today in the drive-thru, none of them gave off a drunk vibe or altered state like this lady the other day.
At the end of it all, you cannot worry about it. You want to be responsible, but someone buys beer from you, and then kills someone, it has nothing to do with you.

And if you think it does, don't work there.

At the end of it all, you cannot worry about it. You want to be responsible, but someone buys beer from you, and then kills someone, it has nothing to do with you.

You're right but I still am allowed to be a human being and have real emotions, you would feel terrible if you knew you could make a difference or intervene and turned a blind eye.
We don't have to argue about it, I said you're right but there are reasons for doing certain things I do in the moment.

My partner several times reiterated to me that we are not responsible...I used to run nightclubs in Central Florida in the glory rave days of the early/mid 90s, I'm well aware of what I am not legally obligated to do...that doesn't mean I don't have a heart.

Your words are not being brushed off, I appreciate your POV. 10-20 years ago I might have acted in that manner you speak of, just didn't feel right.

One of the people that started the original Brew Thru in Nags Head in 1977 died last year. Over time they opened some more around the Outer Banks, and the original is still there to this day.

One of the people that started the original Brew Thru in Nags Head in 1977 died last year. Over time they opened some more around the Outer Banks, and the original is still there to this day.
There is a "Beer Barn" in the town/city of Okochobee, it has coolers on both sides as you drive thru, I don't think anyone gets out of their car.
Kinda looks like a mini hanger of sorts, again there is cold beer and coolers going up and down both sides. They don't sell much craft beer, lot of domestic.

Used to be one around USF-Tampa in the 80s/early 90s.

There is a "Beer Barn" in the town/city of Okochobee, it has coolers on both sides as you drive thru, I don't think anyone gets out of their car.
Kinda looks like a mini hanger of sorts, again there is cold beer and coolers going up and down both sides. They don't sell much craft beer, lot of domestic.

Used to be one around USF-Tampa in the 80s/early 90s.
At the Brew Thrus in the Outer Banks, "Cartenders" approach the cars and get their stuff for them, and check their IDs. The Brew Thrus sell a lot of merchandise too, which is important there. The Outer Banks are ghost towns during the the offseason as far as tourist go, so they make up for that missed revenue by selling merchandise too, and it sells very well.

Dont know about Florida laws selling to intoxicated people. In Michigan, the state will go after the establishment who sold to an obviously intoxicated person If they cause an accident. If MoP doesn’t have a camera that shows the customers at the drive-thru, he may want to invest in one. It could save him some problems.

Dont know about Florida laws selling to intoxicated people. In Michigan, the state will go after the establishment who sold to an obviously intoxicated person If they cause an accident. If MoP doesn’t have a camera that shows the customers at the drive-thru, he may want to invest in one. It could save him some problems.
We have 9 of them, 2-3 aimed right at the drve-thru (y)

This place sells the kinds of beers you simply cannot buy elsewhere or i will say the local grocery store. Total Wine? Perhaps but most of their beers do not sit in coolers and when you start getting into the sour beer market which is running rampant right now,

What makes your store stand out? Just wondering cuz it's not hard to find good beers at all around here. Between bottle shops, breweries, grocery stores (yes they have great selections too), you're never more than 10-15 minutes from great beer.

Also, how do you deal with out of date IPAs? With such a short shelf life before hops start to fade, I see SO MANY old IPAs on shelves and coolers it's crazy. I won't buy any IPA that was canned 8+ weeks ago, so I always check canning date. Can you swap them out for fresh with your beer distributor? Stocking out of state IPAs has to be a headache and not very profitable.

Lastly, nice calls on AC, WW, and Ology, although Angry Chairs IPAs are decent at best IMO. Great stouts tho. Id add Cycle in St Pete for killer stouts, Magnanimous in Tampa for amazing hazy/juicy IPAs, and 7venth Sun does everything well. Hidden Springs does some good sours, even though I feel like that trend has slowed down the past year or so.

Every now and then when I think about it, Tampa Bay has to be a top 10 beer area in the country. So many great breweries around here, and every style is represented well.

Users who are viewing this thread