What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Memphis FBGs - relocation help (1 Viewer)

Brady Marino

Footballguy
My notebook isn't as it once was, but I know there are a few posters here that hail from Memphis.

I'm moving to Memphis in the next couple weeks and I'd like to get an idea on where I should live. My workplace will be between East Memphis and Germantown near Poplar Ave and I-240.

I've heard Memphis can be a rough town depending on where you go, but there's a few gems as well. For instance, I've been looking into the Midtown/Cooper-Young area as it seems to fit my price range as well as my desire to be where things are happening while not getting shot or stabbed at the same time.

Anyway, just kinda looking for advice on Memphis before I head down there in a couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[icon] and Smoovy will be able to help you here. Mrs. SB has been working there for the last 6 months and hates it. Would never live there. According to her, the closer to Germantown you are the better. The area you're working in is pretty nice according to her. Stay near the Target on Ridgeway. Midtown is nice, but it's near some seedy areas. Mud Island is also a nice place. Really nice homes out there and good apartments.

[icon] and Smoovy will be able to help you here. Mrs. SB has been working there for the last 6 months and hates it. Would never live there. According to her, the closer to Germantown you are the better. The area you're working in is pretty nice according to her. Stay near the Target on Ridgeway. Midtown is nice, but it's near some seedy areas. Mud Island is also a nice place. Really nice homes out there and good apartments.
Good stuff. I'd love to find a place in Germantown, but man is rent there pricey. I like Mud Island, but the commute would be a total beyotch.

Good stuff. I'd love to find a place in Germantown, but man is rent there pricey. I like Mud Island, but the commute would be a total beyotch.
Her commute is basically the reverse of yours and it's 20-30 mins. Not too unreasonable IMO. You might be slightly better off going from Mud Island to Germantown in the morning and the reverse in the afternoon. Do not run a red light, because they have red light cameras everywhere on Poplar.

Her commute is basically the reverse of yours and it's 20-30 mins. Not too unreasonable IMO. You might be slightly better off going from Mud Island to Germantown in the morning and the reverse in the afternoon. Do not run a red light, because they have red light cameras everywhere on Poplar.
Gotcha. I will be working early in the morning, plus there's easier access to I-55 which takes me up to St. Louis (hometown). Maybe it won't be so bad. I'll look into it!

Just out of curiosity what constitutes pricey in this area?

Just out of curiosity what constitutes pricey in this area?
Well, I'm seeing a lot of places for $1,000 a month or more. I'd like to stay $700-800/mth if possible, lower if it won't get me stabbed.

Midtown is the best part of Memphis. Tons of good bars and restaurants. It's in between downtown and east Memphis. Cooper/Young is an incredible area to live. After being away for the past 4 years I'm moving from Harbor Town back to C/Y in June. Germantown is lame. Way too much traffic and cops. Most restaurants are chains and strip malls are abundant. There is no soul in that part of the city. Downtown/Mud Island isn't that bad of a commute once you learn you're way around.

Midtown is the best part of Memphis. Tons of good bars and restaurants. It's in between downtown and east Memphis. Cooper/Young is an incredible area to live. After being away for the past 4 years I'm moving from Harbor Town back to C/Y in June. Germantown is lame. Way too much traffic and cops. Most restaurants are chains and strip malls are abundant. There is no soul in that part of the city. Downtown/Mud Island isn't that bad of a commute once you learn you're way around.
:goodposting: If we had it to do over again, I'd go to one of the Midtown areas such as Cooper Young, Overton Park, Central Gardens, etc. Lots going on there and a good vibe. Not dangerous at all.

As it was we ended up in the South Bluffs neighborhood of downtown. It's developed a lot since we moved there in 2009 and there is a lot to do, but not as much as Midtown. I worked precisely where you did (240 and Poplar), and the commute was a breeze in terms of the time it took--pretty much 15 minutes or so every day. Being on Mud Island would make it a little longer but still very doable. There is generally no traffic in Memphis so unless there's an accident you can pretty much set your clock by this commute.

By the way, I say it was a breeze in terms of timing, but it is not a breeze in terms of driving because Memphis has the worst drivers in the universe. Honestly I've never seen anything like it.

I wouldn't be caught dead living in Germantown, but it just depends upon what you are looking for.

If you see particular places you want to know about, post addresses here and we can advise.

Oh, and the commute from downtown to that area is no longer than it is to get to parts of Midtown. That said, I really wouldn't love being on Mud Island. There are a few things there but then it feels isolated from the rest of downtown and things to do. Not really walkable like other parts of downtown would be.

That commute isn't horrible at all as you'd be going against traffic the whole way. My notebook may also be lacking, but I'm not sure you'd be happy living in Germantown as I don't think you're married w/ 2.5 kids. I live in Germantown, and it's Burbsville. It's nice, but we moved here last year for house size and schools. If we hadn't reproduced we likely never would have left Mud Island. I can't speak on the subject of living in Midtown other than I don't think it suits me as much as Mud Island. The eating and drinking in Midtown suits me fine, however.

Get right with the commute (seriously, it's nothing) and live west of East Memphis if you're single. That's where you'll be on the weekends most likely, and ~30 minutes to and from work beats ~30 minutes to and from the bar by a mile.

I like Memphis, but I'm easy to please. I don't hang around the type of people that kill people, so I have yet to be killed.

:goodposting: If we had it to do over again, I'd go to one of the Midtown areas such as Cooper Young, Overton Park, Central Gardens, etc. Lots going on there and a good vibe. Not dangerous at all.

As it was we ended up in the South Bluffs neighborhood of downtown. It's developed a lot since we moved there in 2009 and there is a lot to do, but not as much as Midtown. I worked precisely where you did (240 and Poplar), and the commute was a breeze in terms of the time it took--pretty much 15 minutes or so every day. Being on Mud Island would make it a little longer but still very doable. There is generally no traffic in Memphis so unless there's an accident you can pretty much set your clock by this commute.

By the way, I say it was a breeze in terms of timing, but it is not a breeze in terms of driving because Memphis has the worst drivers in the universe. Honestly I've never seen anything like it.

I wouldn't be caught dead living in Germantown, but it just depends upon what you are looking for.

If you see particular places you want to know about, post addresses here and we can advise.
There is no way in hell Memphis drivers can be worse than North Dakota drivers. It is impossible.

Good to know about Midtown/C-Y. In fact, I'm looking in C-Y, Overton Park, or Central Gardens areas. From the research I've been doing, I think I'll love it for both atmosphere, location, and price (I'm a cheap ###, I'll admit it). I lived in an area of St. Louis that butted up to the ghetto, so I can deal it. I just need to know which streets to not walk down.

I'm still window shopping at the moment, but as it gets closer to the time I move down there, I'll do some serious looking. My dad lives about 3 and a half hours north of there, so I can use him as a base while I tour Memphis during the day and come home at night. Easy breezy.

I'll definitely come on here once I start zeroing in. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

That commute isn't horrible at all as you'd be going against traffic the whole way. My notebook may also be lacking, but I'm not sure you'd be happy living in Germantown as I don't think you're married w/ 2.5 kids. I live in Germantown, and it's Burbsville. It's nice, but we moved here last year for house size and schools. If we hadn't reproduced we likely never would have left Mud Island. I can't speak on the subject of living in Midtown other than I don't think it suits me as much as Mud Island. The eating and drinking in Midtown suits me fine, however.

Get right with the commute (seriously, it's nothing) and live west of East Memphis if you're single. That's where you'll be on the weekends most likely, and ~30 minutes to and from work beats ~30 minutes to and from the bar by a mile.

I like Memphis, but I'm easy to please. I don't hang around the type of people that kill people, so I have yet to be killed.
Correct. Single late 20s here. Midtown/C-Y is where I need to be I think. Being able to staggar home from a blues dive or bar or even restaurant would be pretty stellar, IMO.

If you're looking for walkability (or stumble-ability), Central Gardens wouldn't be the best choice. It's a beautiful area but set apart a bit from all the restaurants, bars, etc. that you would find in Cooper-Young or Overton Square. Either of those, or downtown, would be your best options as a single guy.

ETA: I should also clarify that Germantown is really nice as far as suburbs go; just not my thing.

If you're looking for walkability (or stumble-ability), Central Gardens wouldn't be the best choice. It's a beautiful area but set apart a bit from all the restaurants, bars, etc. that you would find in Cooper-Young or Overton Square. Either of those, or downtown, would be your best options as a single guy.
I kinda guessed. If nothing else, there's always taxis, but I do like walking when possible. It's something I need to do more of since I'm a tubby lol.

also, another vote for cooper-young. If I were a young, single man that's where I'd live in Memphis.

Ok K4 (and others), here's an address: 1306 Carr Avenue

Also: 53 N Belvedere
No on Carr Ave. There's a bit of a dead/not nice area between downtown and the heart of midtown, and this falls in that area--too far west to be a good part of midtown.

Belvedere address is OK. It's not really in the middle of a bunch of bars/restaurants but closer to other businesses/grocery. It's not a bad/dangerous area and would be fine. You would be very close to the best liquor store in town with the best selection of wine (Joe's Liquors). :)

Also I don't know the specific location of that address but parts of Belvedere are really beautiful.

Ok K4 (and others), here's an address: 1306 Carr Avenue

Also: 53 N Belvedere
No on Carr Ave. There's a bit of a dead/not nice area between downtown and the heart of midtown, and this falls in that area--too far west to be a good part of midtown.

Belvedere address is OK. It's not really in the middle of a bunch of bars/restaurants but closer to other businesses/grocery. It's not a bad/dangerous area and would be fine. You would be very close to the best liquor store in town with the best selection of wine (Joe's Liquors). :)

Also I don't know the specific location of that address but parts of Belvedere are really beautiful.
Good stuff. That gives me an idea of where to look. And I'm not opposed to taking a cab if I have to. :)

Also a place on Poplar and Auburndale that I'm interested in that's close to the Belvedere places (there's two in the same block).

Big thanks for the help. It's hard to pin down what's good/bad without being there.

What's up!

Memphis is crazy cheap compared to most other cities but 700-800/mo for decent place is kinda pushing your luck.

Late 20s and single? Definitely Overton square / cooper young Area. Overton square is flat out exploding right now with the number of bars and restaurants set to triple from 12 months ago to 12 months from now. Cooper young isn't bad, but I prefer Overton square by a good bit. Both are relatively close so somewhere in between would be ideal.

This Saturday I'm actually helping host/promote a small charity hot wing / music / beer festival over behind Local on the Square with Jeff Johnson (owner of the two Local Gastropub venues plus 2 other restaurants opening this summer). Love the area.

Definitely post up addresses of places you're looking. Memphis Is very hit or miss.

Central Gardens has some decent spots but a buddy that lives there is continually having problems with bad elements spilling over and causing issues. Break ins, disturbances in the street at night. Not the end of the world but something to consider.

There are several decent apt complexes on the north end of mud island. There are a few bars and such on the island and it has a great vibe being right on the water, but most of the entertainment options are a mile or two away in the downtown area.

I live out in east Memphis / Germantown because I'm not single and older... I prefer having an actual house/yard that is a little less maintenance intensive (like many of the older midtown places)... But as stated, the bar scene out here is a shadow of the other areas discussed here.

What's up!

Memphis is crazy cheap compared to most other cities but 700-800/mo for decent place is kinda pushing your luck.

Late 20s and single? Definitely Overton square / cooper young Area. Overton square is flat out exploding right now with the number of bars and restaurants set to triple from 12 months ago to 12 months from now. Cooper young isn't bad, but I prefer Overton square by a good bit. Both are relatively close so somewhere in between would be ideal.

This Saturday I'm actually helping host/promote a small charity hot wing / music / beer festival over behind Local on the Square with Jeff Johnson (owner of the two Local Gastropub venues plus 2 other restaurants opening this summer). Love the area.

Definitely post up addresses of places you're looking. Memphis Is very hit or miss.

Central Gardens has some decent spots but a buddy that lives there is continually having problems with bad elements spilling over and causing issues. Break ins, disturbances in the street at night. Not the end of the world but something to consider.

There are several decent apt complexes on the north end of mud island. There are a few bars and such on the island and it has a great vibe being right on the water, but most of the entertainment options are a mile or two away in the downtown area.
I'm finding decent places for less in Midtown (the Jefferson one is $650/mth). It's just me and I'm not very picky about where I live, as long as it's not in an area where I may get shot or stabbed. I looked at Mud Island, but it's outside my price range based on places I've seen, plus I kinda would like to be where the action is after living the past 5+ years in dull small towns.

If you know anyone that is renting apartments, that'd help, too.

SacramentoBob said:
Brady Marino said:
SacramentoBob said:
:lol: I have been here for decades and I've never gotten a red light ticket and I blow through turning signals like they're going out of style.

SacramentoBob said:
Brady Marino said:
SacramentoBob said:
:lol: I have been here for decades and I've never gotten a red light ticket and I blow through turning signals like they're going out of style.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by that, too. I never received a ticket on Poplar (or anywhere else) and am known to run a light or two or a billion. :oldunsure:

Ok one more, and this one's a few blocks south. 1980 Jefferson.
That general area is solid. Short stumble to the heart of Overton square (Madison between cooper and idlewild) There is a trolley that will take you down to main st downtown if you so desired.I'm curious what kind of apartment is 650 in that area.. Post a listing if ya don't mind / are comfortable. Id be concerned it's a ####hole at that price.

Ok one more, and this one's a few blocks south. 1980 Jefferson.
That general area is solid. Short stumble to the heart of Overton square (Madison between cooper and idlewild) There is a trolley that will take you down to main st downtown if you so desired.I'm curious what kind of apartment is 650 in that area.. Post a listing if ya don't mind / are comfortable. Id be concerned it's a ####hole at that price.
Here.

Edit: I got it mixed with another. It's actually $600/mth. :mellow:

Interesting! Def looks to have fresh paint and such. It looks like it's in a mini complex of 5-6 of those little duplexes packed in. Cars look decent on apple maps 3D but I'd definitely go by there Friday night around 11ish to get a real feel for the area. As close as those units are together, one or two bad neighbors could make your life hell.

Interesting! Def looks to have fresh paint and such. It looks like it's in a mini complex of 5-6 of those little duplexes packed in. Cars look decent on apple maps 3D but I'd definitely go by there Friday night around 11ish to get a real feel for the area. As close as those units are together, one or two bad neighbors could make your life hell.
I'm in a situation where I have a bad neighbor that lives above me where I can hear his every footstep. And he's a noisy ####er that likes to stay up late.

So yes, a duplex is appealing.

Edit: Looks like this one is the far left outside unit, which is good. Area looks fine on Google Maps.

If you're looking to live within walking distance from a lively bar/restaurant scene in a "hip" up and coming part of Memphis, that would definitely fit the bill. I'd put it on the short list and Check it out.

I ll be in the immediate area Saturday 9am-5pm or so and can drive by and scout it out if you'd like.

If you're looking to live within walking distance from a lively bar/restaurant scene in a "hip" up and coming part of Memphis, that would definitely fit the bill. I'd put it on the short list and Check it out.

I ll be in the immediate area Saturday 9am-5pm or so and can drive by and scout it out if you'd like.
Appreciate it. If you hear of another place that's renting in that area, let me know. :)

Appreciate it. If you hear of another place that's renting in that area, let me know. :)
Honestly I've not been in the rental market in over a decade but I'll keep my ears open.

Will drive by and snap some pics sat and report back.

Given though to saying "#### it", moving to Tunica and becoming a degenerate?

It'll make for good stories for the board's sake.

Eh, if I wanted to say #### it and become a degenerate, there's better places to do that than Tunica. I'm taking a job there.

Eh, if I wanted to say #### it and become a degenerate, there's better places to do that than Tunica. I'm taking a job there.
Amen to that. Tunica is fun for a night but there is jack #### to do there aside from degen out.

I lived there in 1997, working as a contract programmer. You better keep your doors locked, both house and car, even while you are in each. Memphis is a dangerous place. The 4 months I was there there was a car jacking at a mart I frequent and I had my convertible top ripped with a knife.

I lived there in 1997, working as a contract programmer. You better keep your doors locked, both house and car, even while you are in each. Memphis is a dangerous place. The 4 months I was there there was a car jacking at a mart I frequent and I had my convertible top ripped with a knife.
:lol: That was almost 20 years ago.

Yes, Memphis is a very dangerous place in the wrong areas..... However, Memphis is a surprisingly safe place in most areas anyone on this forum would find themselves in. Not unlike any other major city, don't be an idiot... keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Yes, Memphis is a very dangerous place in the wrong areas..... However, Memphis is a surprisingly safe place in most areas anyone on this forum would find themselves in. Not unlike any other major city, don't be an idiot... keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.
I understand that, if you want safe, cookie cutter suburbia goodness, go to Germantown, Collierville, and the good parts of Bartlett and Cordova.

I understand that, if you want safe, cookie cutter suburbia goodness, go to Germantown, Collierville, and the good parts of Bartlett and Cordova.
Cordova is in rapid decline since being annexed by the city of memphis. Not ghetto by ANY stretch... but not even close to germantown/collierville caliber (which are very pretty/safe suburban areas if that's what you're shooting for).

Bartlett used to be nice but IMO is sliding a bit. Never was as "upscale" as Gtown/Cville. While it's got some nice neighborhoods, IMO it's more of a "White trash with a little cash" area that is propped up by aggressive policing. No disrespect to anyone here who may live there... just my .02/perceptions from the areas of Bartlett that I am forced to frequent.

In Collierville and most of Germantown you could walk around at 1am in a suit made of $100 bills and you'd never have to worry. Hell, in collierville, even driving through town while looking like you dont belong will often get you pulled over for "improper lane change" or somesuch offense so the cop can give you a good once-over.

Users who are viewing this thread