What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarterback Follies (1 Viewer)

pantagrapher

Footballguy
I usually don't pick QBs early. But last season, after a year of playing revolving QB, I decided I wanted a steady starter and picked McNabb in the third round. A few weeks in I was looking like a genius. McNabb was kicking ### and I was in first place. Then came the sports hernia. My team never recovered.

So this year I went back to QBBC. I drafted my QBs very late, picking up Aaron Brooks, Byron Leftwich and Chris Simms. I knew there was a good chance I'd have trouble with that lineup, but it's a 10-team league with small rosters, so there's always a good QB on the wire. What has ensued is a comedy of poor decisions and unlikely disasters, which I post here for your amusement:

WEEK 1

Started: Aaron Brooks

68 Pass Yards

27 Rush Yards

4 Points

On the bench: Byron Leftwich

237 Pass Yards & 1 TD

7 Rush Yards & 1 TD

16 points

WEEK 2

Started: Byron Leftwich

260 Pass Yards & 1 INT

4 Rush Yards

5 Points

On the bench: Alex Smith

233 Pass Yards & 1 TD

-1 Rush Yards

13 points

WEEK 3

107 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 2 INT

14 Rush Yards & 1 TD

10 points

WEEK 4

Started: David Carr

230 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 1 INT

-8 Rush Yards, 1 TD & 1 FL

13 Points

On the bench: Rex Grossman

232 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

2 Rush Yards

19 points

WEEK 5

Started: Rex Grossman

182 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

18 Points

WOOOHOOOOOO! Problem solved!

Until...

WEEK 6

148 Pass Yards & 4 INTs

-7 Rush yards & 2 FLs

-14 points

On the bench: David Carr

128 Pass Yards & 2 INTs

15 Rush Yards

-1 Points

WEEK 7

Started: Matt Leinart

203 Pass Yards & 2 INTs

5 Rush Yards

0 Points

224 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

12 Rush Yards

20 points

WEEK 8

113 Pass Yards & 1 INT

6 Rush Yards & 2 FLs

-6 points

252 Pass Yards & 3 TDs

26 points

WEEK 9

210 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 3 INTs

0 Rush Yards & 1 FL

1 point

WEEK 10

Started: Seneca Wallace

161 Pass Yards, 2 TDs

30 Rush Yards, 2 FLs

14 points

246 Pass Yards, 3 TDs & 1 INT

-2 Rush Yards

23 points

UPDATED: 11/22

WEEK 11

119 Pass Yards, 1 TD

9 points

Dropped before kickoff: Seneca Wallace

252 Pass Yards, 2 TDs & 3 INTs

21 Rush Yards

13 points

WEEK 12

Started: Vince Young

249 Pass Yards, 2 TDs

69 Rush Yards, 1 TD, 1 FL

29 points

176 Pass Yards, 3 INTs

0 Rush Yards, 1 FL

-7 points

:eek: :headbang: :suds:

VINCE ####### YOUNG BABY! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

The nightmare might be over.

86 Total points from the QB position through 12 weeks. [7.1 points/week.]

Last edited by a moderator:
:) welcome to my world.

I've had some awful luck rotating between the likes of Palmer, Warner, Leinart and Huard, but my misfortunes don't come remotely close to topping yours.

I usually don't pick QBs early. But last season, after a year of playing revolving QB, I decided I wanted a steady starter and picked McNabb in the third round. A few weeks in I was looking like a genius. McNabb was kicking ### and I was in first place. Then came the sports hernia. My team never recovered.

So this year I went back to QBBC. I drafted my QBs very late, picking up Aaron Brooks, Byron Leftwich and Chris Simms. I knew there was a good chance I'd have trouble with that lineup, but it's a 10-team league with small rosters, so there's always a good QB on the wire. What has ensued is a comedy of poor decisions and unlikely disasters, which I post here for your amusement:

WEEK 1

Started: Aaron Brooks

68 Pass Yards

27 Rush Yards

4 Points

On the bench: Byron Leftwich

237 Pass Yards & 1 TD

7 Rush Yards & 1 TD

16 points

WEEK 2

260 Pass Yards & 1 INT

4 Rush Yards

5 Points

On the bench: Alex Smith

233 Pass Yards & 1 TD

-1 Rush Yards

13 points

WEEK 3

107 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 2 INT

14 Rush Yards & 1 TD

10 points

WEEK 4

230 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 1 INT

-8 Rush Yards, 1 TD & 1 FL

13 Points

232 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

2 Rush Yards

19 points

WEEK 5

182 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

18 Points

WOOOHOOOOOO! Problem solved!

Until...

WEEK 6

148 Pass Yards & 4 INTs

-7 Rush yards & 2 FLs

-14 points

128 Pass Yards & 2 INTs

15 Rush Yards

-1 Points

WEEK 7

Started: Matt Leinart

203 Pass Yards & 2 INTs

5 Rush Yards

0 Points

224 Pass Yards & 2 TDs

12 Rush Yards

20 points

WEEK 8

113 Pass Yards & 1 INT

6 Rush Yards & 2 FLs

-6 points

252 Pass Yards & 3 TDs

26 points

WEEK 9

210 Pass Yards, 1 TD & 3 INTs

0 Rush Yards & 1 FL

bb]1 point

34 Total points from the QB position through 9 weeks!

:lmao:

Can anyone top that?
:lmao: :lmao:

you should have just taken manning late in the first ... you wouldn't be worrying about any of this, you would have extra roster room, and you wouldn't have wasted the pick on lamont, caddy, or edge.

:bag:

Delhomme, Bledsoe and Culpepper :bag:
:shock: Cumulative points?
We have pretty generous QB scoring...W1 Delhomme 3.20

W2 Culpepper 10.80

W3 Culpepper 10.93

W4 Bledsoe 12.97

W5 Bledsoe 10.03

W6 Bledsoe 13.60

W7 Delhomme 14.93

W8 Delhomme 2.97

Total 79.43

That "averages" as about QB22 in our league :bag:

Fortunately this week I was "forced" to start Romo...who put up my best QB week to date...

W9 Romo 17.54

Edit to add: I didn't "wait" on QBs, I actually thought I was stacked at QB

Lets see:

Week 1-9

Cpep = 1pt

Cpep = 9pts

Cpep = 9pts

Cpep = 10pts

Brunell = 2pts

Brunnel = 9pts

Pennington = 9pts

Carr = -2pts

B.Johnson = -2pts

45 Total points for 9 weeks :sic:

Avgs out to QB 30 in our leauge

Lets see:Week 1-9Cpep = 1ptCpep = 9ptsCpep = 9ptsCpep = 10ptsBrunell = 2ptsBrunnel = 9ptsPennington = 9ptsCarr = -2ptsB.Johnson = -2pts45 Total points for 9 weeks :sic:Avgs out to QB 30 in our leauge
That's pretty rough.

Lets see:Week 1-9Cpep = 1ptCpep = 9ptsCpep = 9ptsCpep = 10ptsBrunell = 2ptsBrunnel = 9ptsPennington = 9ptsCarr = -2ptsB.Johnson = -2pts45 Total points for 9 weeks :sic:Avgs out to QB 30 in our leauge
Did you really start these QBs in a league?

One guy in my league has this collection of misfits for his QB:

Initially he drafted Culpepper (later dropped for harrington who he also later dropped) and Trent Green (still has him :) ). After some roster moves added Big Ben and JP Losman (dropped last week). Now he has Jake Plummer and Damon Huard as well

I can't top it, but I can add my own tale of woe. Our league also has pretty generous scoring: point per 20 yards passing and TDs either 6, 9, or 12 depending on length. I had Delhomme and Brooks to start the year. Through the first five weeks or so was only averaging 12 points per game from the QB position starting people like Delhomme, Pennington and Plummer. This week: Picked up Garrard to start with Delhomme on bye. Then decided to get smart and try to solve the problem for the rest of the year. Traded Javon Walker for Tom Brady. The result: Walker: 50 points. Brady: 3 points. Garrard on my bench with 30 points.

Moral of the story: If there's a quarterback you guys would like hexed just shoot me a pm and I'll try to trade for him. It seems that's all it takes this year.

I feel your pain. I always go cheap at QB and it hasn't worked out this year to say the least.

14 team league, so no starting QBs available on waivers. Drafted Rivers and Brooks... oops they both have week 3 bye. :bag:

So I "upgraded" by trading Rivers and backup RB for Culpepper... problem solved.

Then Culpepper goes down and I pick up Huard. Get one good start and one bad one from him.

After Huard's stinker versus the Steelers, decide to bite the bullet and trade for Leinart. OK, now I have an every week starter. There's obviously no reason to keep this Huard spare around, I'll just drop him.

Next two weeks Leinart gets me 4 points and 10 points.

Then this week I start McNair and his 9 points.

Looks like Garrard may be the next to get a shot... 7th starter in 10 weeks. He's been sitting on my bench the past three weeks, so he's had a chance to observe what I expect out of my QB. :thumbup:

Sorry, but it has to be done:

:ptts:

A small tale of woe:

A guy in my league has lost his first round pick to early injury for the third year in a row!

WEEK 6

148 Pass Yards & 4 INTs

-7 Rush yards & 2 FLs

-14 points

128 Pass Yards & 2 INTs

15 Rush Yards

-1 Points
The fact that you are lamenting the fact that you benched a guy (Carr) who got negative points is priceless.

I drafted Cpep and Simms as well. Flirted around with Brunell and Alex Smith, but got lucky to find Favre a month ago. I've had exactly one week where my QB got 2 TD passes. This seems to happen every year.

I've had exactly one week where my QB got 2 TD passes.
Same here. For the season, the QB position has managed 7 TDs in 9 games (just one in the past 4 weeks).In the past 4 games, I've gotten a total of 27 points from the position. Eleven different QBs have met or exceeded that total in a single game.

Why don't you just let US pick your starting QB.

I assume you still have Wallace vs Grossman?

Week 12

Grossman at Jets

Wallace at 49ers <---Your Week 12 QB ?

Why don't you just let US pick your starting QB.I assume you still have Wallace vs Grossman?Week 12Grossman at JetsWallace at 49ers <---Your Week 12 QB ?
I've considered the possibility that I should start picking against logic and the cheatsheets, but that might be overboard. Isn't Hasselbeck returning next week?

Why don't you just let US pick your starting QB.I assume you still have Wallace vs Grossman?Week 12Grossman at JetsWallace at 49ers <---Your Week 12 QB ?
I've considered the possibility that I should start picking against logic and the cheatsheets, but that might be overboard. Isn't Hasselbeck returning next week?
The Costanza theory. I like it. If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right. :thumbup: I went against my gut this week and started McNair over Garrard to end my own streak of bad luck at the position.

FIRST POST UPDATED.

Week 12 options:

Vince Young vs. NYG

or

Rex Grossman vs. NE

Rest assured, I will pick the wrong guy.

FIRST POST UPDATED.Week 12 options:Vince Young vs. NYGorRex Grossman vs. NERest assured, I will pick the wrong guy.
I'm not planning to start Grossman this week, but just in case I change my mind, would you please start Vince Young for me?Thanks.

FIRST POST UPDATED.

Week 12 options:

Vince Young vs. NYG

or

Rex Grossman vs. NE

Rest assured, I will pick the wrong guy.
Got to go with Rex Grossman.
Because he's the smart play or because he isn't the smart play? I've been burned by smart plays so many times that I think it's time to start going against all logic.
In that case you need to go with Vince Young against a giants defense that got embarrassed on national TV Monday night. VY makes average defenses into instant fantasy stars - kinda like starting defenses against the Raiders.

Bump.

Went with Vince Young in Week 12. After the first half, I thought it was going to be the same old story. But then Vince went off.

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread