What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My trade timing is impeccably bad short-term (1 Viewer)

HutHutHike

Footballguy
This is more of a rant than a question, but I wanted to share this. I made three trades this season:

1. Mostert and Kyren Williams for Derrick Henry. Mostert goes off for 44 points against the Broncos a few days later.
Silver lining I tell myself: Henry is probably the best bet of the three come fantasy playoffs

2. I trade David Montgomery for Jonathan Taylor. Less than two weeks later, Montgomery scores three TD in Lambeau.
Silver lining I tell myself: Taylor is the obvious upgrade provided he out-snaps Moss

3. I trade Diontae Johnson and Nico Collins for Davante Adams. The next day Johnson scores his first TD in two years.
Silver lining I tell myself: Diontae probably scores those 18.5 half-PPR points on my bench (maybe) + Adams could return to elite status with the shakeup in Vegas

I'm 6-2 and won the matchups in which trades 1 and 2 occurred, but it's as if the fantasy gods also require me to trade one week of monster production for the player I want. Anyone else have a funny story with this?

There have been five trades in my 20 year redraft and I've been involved in four of them
  1. After Week 1 I moved Kincaid for LaPorta. I wish I could say this was my genius at work but actually I just wanted another Lions player on my team. Has been lopsided results most of the first half of the season but Kincaid has been coming on.
  2. My JSN for his Jayden Reed. Actually drafted Reed and churned him off the bottom of the roster. With the way this one has been going the last few weeks I probably "lost" this one but I just need Reed for Weeks 10 & 11 so kind of TBD. I had JSN 6 weeks, never used him, he goes off as soon as I traded him lol but with Chase-Waddle-Olave he just wasn't going to see my lineup so not losing too much sleep over it. The Packers rookie is a good slot player but too inconsistent to be anything more than bye week filler.
  3. My Jordan Addison for his Jahmyr Gibbs. Was definitely looking at this one through my Honolulu Blue colored lens. Swapped my Flex WR4 for a Flex RB3, both have gone off in the two weeks since the trade. Addison 35.30 + 21.40 and Gibbs 27.60 + 30.90. Even steven win win so far, he was weak at WR and I was weakest at RB so it was a trade that made both teams better.
  4. My D'Onta Foreman for his Josh Reynolds - I had two Chicago RBs (drafted Roschon) so just wanted to jettison the one I thought had the least upside, I got one 33.90 monster start and sent out 3-4 offers for WR3-WR4 types who might fill a bye week slot in Weeks 10-11. Both players kind of sharted Week 8 so didn't help either team (he started Foreman in a loss, Reynolds may never see the lineup)
Ya win some ya lose some, but trades are the 3rd most fun part of FF every year, behind only the live draft or winning a 'ship

There have been five trades in my 20 year redraft and I've been involved in four of them
  1. After Week 1 I moved Kincaid for LaPorta. I wish I could say this was my genius at work but actually I just wanted another Lions player on my team. Has been lopsided results most of the first half of the season but Kincaid has been coming on.
  2. My JSN for his Jayden Reed. Actually drafted Reed and churned him off the bottom of the roster. With the way this one has been going the last few weeks I probably "lost" this one but I just need Reed for Weeks 10 & 11 so kind of TBD. I had JSN 6 weeks, never used him, he goes off as soon as I traded him lol but with Chase-Waddle-Olave he just wasn't going to see my lineup so not losing too much sleep over it. The Packers rookie is a good slot player but too inconsistent to be anything more than bye week filler.
  3. My Jordan Addison for his Jahmyr Gibbs. Was definitely looking at this one through my Honolulu Blue colored lens. Swapped my Flex WR4 for a Flex RB3, both have gone off in the two weeks since the trade. Addison 35.30 + 21.40 and Gibbs 27.60 + 30.90. Even steven win win so far, he was weak at WR and I was weakest at RB so it was a trade that made both teams better.
  4. My D'Onta Foreman for his Josh Reynolds - I had two Chicago RBs (drafted Roschon) so just wanted to jettison the one I thought had the least upside, I got one 33.90 monster start and sent out 3-4 offers for WR3-WR4 types who might fill a bye week slot in Weeks 10-11. Both players kind of sharted Week 8 so didn't help either team (he started Foreman in a loss, Reynolds may never see the lineup)
Ya win some ya lose some, but trades are the 3rd most fun part of FF every year, behind only the live draft or winning a 'ship
Five trades in 20 years?! That’s insane. I love wheeling and dealing if I feel it will help me win. The three trades I posted are the only deals our league has seen this season.

Five trades in 20 years?! That’s insane. I love wheeling and dealing if I feel it will help me win. The three trades I posted are the only deals our league has seen this season.

that was awkwardly worded wasn't it?

:lol:

to be clear, five this year as the narrative confirms....

My friend and I started a redraft league last year where we wanted lots of trading, so we set the bar and traded about 10 times, just between ourselves. It has rubbed off this year. To date, there have been 27 trades! We do have a voting process, and 6 trades have been vetoed, but of the 12 teams, everyone has traded at least once. And these aren't just trades involving waiver-type scrubs. Only 1 team still has both their 1st and 2nd round picks! It's by far the funnest league I have ever played in. In the first 8 weeks, I have yet to start the same lineup. Looking back, here were a few trades that seemed fair at the time, but have not aged well:
- Terry McLaurin for Jordan Addison & De'Von Achane
- Courtland Sutton for Sam LaPorta

You traded JSN for Jayden Reed because you weren't going to play him?

Why did you trade for Josh Reynolds, presumably he isn't going to play either?

You traded JSN for Jayden Reed because you weren't going to play him?

Why did you trade for Josh Reynolds, presumably he isn't going to play either?

1. Pretty similar alignment and snap count stats for both rookies, not on the field much in 12 personnel (JSN 59 snaps at X or Z, 59 for Reed), the primary Slot WR in 11 personnel (JSN 196, Reed 197.) One big difference has been RZ looks. JSN has 5, 2 inside the 10; for the MSU rookie, 10 RZ, 6 inside the 10, 3 inside the 5. It is not just random luck he has more TDs *(at the time of the trade it was 2-0, now it's 3-2.) Obviously in Dynasty or Keeper you'd never make this deal as JSN is likely headed for a longer, more productive career. EDIT almost forgot what was actually the thing that triggered me: Reed's ADoT is 13.5, JSN 5.0 (and it was lower when I did the deal.)

So no, the "wasn't going to play him" wasn't the catalyst for the move, but it does give me some solace knowing in the end it would not have affected any of my scores bc he would not have been in my lineup.
  2. As for Josh, he has two duds but otherwise quite serviceable. Barring injury the only point of any WR4 or WR5 or WR6 is do they have a good matchup for the by weeks I need covered? Ancillary to Reynolds, I collect Honolulu Blue and Silver players bc on the bottom of the roster bc it makes it more fun since I've been a fan for 57 years. We play a game about a game; as I'm not high stakes player, just a well informed seasoned player, fun has to be part of it to make it worthwhile.

Foreman was not going to pass Warren, Gibbs, Pacheco or Hall to crack the lineup again. I used him Week 7 with Hall and Hubbard on bye and Roshcon in the protocol. To me the choice was hold him while he has middling production for a few weeks and then put him back on the wire once Roschon and Herbert were both healthy again, or strike while the iron was hot. As I mentioned in the narrative, I sent out 4 offers....I didn't target Josh Reynolds, I looked for WR who were around the same place in ECR ROS rankings to get some kind of value for him. From my email it looks like other offers for Curtis Samuel and Tank Dell were rejected. Pretty sure there was one more but can't remember and the software doesn't save Trade Offers sent but later cancelled.

Last edited:
We do have a voting process, and 6 trades have been vetoed

I would never play in this league. Managers vote against trades solely bc two teams or one team made improvements. A Commish with integrity or a triumvirate ad hoc committee is all you need, and the only basis for Veto is collusion. Let the adults be adult-like in this game.

Also.....interesting subtopic perhaps....i was commish for about 12 years, and I would wait one or two days as a cool down and ponder period - kind of see if anyone was objecting (no one ever did.) My successor, in his first season as our Commish but a veteran who has been the administrator for several leagues, approves trades instantly. I could see where that might be a problem. However, one cool thing about it is Saturday trades get to go right into your lineup, so I'm a bit conflicted about his policy. But I promised myself not to second guess him, I'm grateful somebody stepped up aa I didn't want the gig anymore.

I've made two Trades so far this year.

I gave Pierce and Musgrave for Goedert and Gainwell. So far that's worked out despite Goedert having a mediocre season so far.

Then this week I traded Mostert for Tee Higgins. We'll see how that one goes.

5 in 20 is bad Bobby. Ha ha. I love to trade and prefer leagues that love changing rosters. Outside of the draft, trading is one of the more enjoyable things about this mentally draining hobby. I will say with this mentality I tend to jump the gun to quickly.

Got a guy in my 1st league who loves to wheel 'n deal. Five trades in 20 years, ha-ha. The following moves have been made prior to week 9 of this season. Swear to god, everything this guy touches turns to gold. :)

1.) Early on, week 1 or 2 he moves Jaylen Warren & his 3rd rd pick for Pacheco & a 7th rd pick.
2.) Josh Allen & Kyren Williams cranking along, but no, he packages the two of them for King Henry & Donk. Now, in this one he does recoup most of the draft capital he parted with in his first deal. Same week Williams is lost for the season.
3.) About two weeks back he began sending me proposals offering Adam Thielen (& draft capital) for Najee Harris. When we couldn't finalize something my league-mate's opponent that week swooped in & offered him Jahmyr Gibbs for Nico Collins & draft capital. Sure enough, Gibbs goes off on Monday night & is the difference in the outcome of their match.
4.) These past few days saw more proposals. Given that his only TE (Goedert) was on a bye, I thought I'd offer Trey McBride for JSN, but he countered with Thielen again & I had to throw in a draft pick swap. Could be less, but what's likely is a 4th for a 10th.
5.) With Gibbs now on his bye, our resident wheeler went back to the same league-mate who initially offered him & ponies up Gibbs & his 2nd rd pick for Bijou Robinson (& 7th rd pick).

Crazy? He's attempting to buy the hardware &/or won't factor next year? Well, he's scored just under 858 points so far. There are four others who have scored well over 900 points. As for next year, yeah he may not have the best roster initially but after we draft he'll of course have a fresh allotment of draft picks to work with to get deals done. Thats besides the fact that he's great on the wire. I'll only speak for myself, I've gained a lot from him!

Last edited:
I had a garbage draft and have tried to trade my way back into contention..
Best move I made was in one week i traded mclaurin for dameon pierce and than before the weekend, flipped pierce for DJ moore and kittle

That got me back in contention.
Have made some monster trades since than aquiring chase & kelce in seperate deals for allen, waddle, wallar, watson, etc

I had a great chance to buy AJ brown after week 2 for G Wilson + Waller---- not sure why I balked at that. Will probably cost me the title.

5 in 20 is bad Bobby. Ha ha.

sonuva… you know I take things literally if you don’t add the emoji

:sarcasm:
The "ha ha" is the middle aged guys emoji when he is simply to lazy to search for the correct facial expression in cartoon fashion. Kind of like my usage of there and they're. It's not that i don't understand English tools, its that I'm way to lazy to type the apostrophe. Ha ha

Last edited:
This is more of a rant than a question, but I wanted to share this. I made three trades this season:

1. Mostert and Kyren Williams for Derrick Henry. Mostert goes off for 44 points against the Broncos a few days later.
Silver lining I tell myself: Henry is probably the best bet of the three come fantasy playoffs

2. I trade David Montgomery for Jonathan Taylor. Less than two weeks later, Montgomery scores three TD in Lambeau.
Silver lining I tell myself: Taylor is the obvious upgrade provided he out-snaps Moss

3. I trade Diontae Johnson and Nico Collins for Davante Adams. The next day Johnson scores his first TD in two years.
Silver lining I tell myself: Diontae probably scores those 18.5 half-PPR points on my bench (maybe) + Adams could return to elite status with the shakeup in Vegas

I'm 6-2 and won the matchups in which trades 1 and 2 occurred, but it's as if the fantasy gods also require me to trade one week of monster production for the player I want. Anyone else have a funny story with this?
This is redraft, right?

In 2016 Josh Gordon was suspended. When he returned from suspension I was offered (accepted immediately)

Davante Adams, Martavis Bryant and two 2017 2nd’s for

Josh Gordon, Chris Conley and a 2017 3rd and 4th.

Gordon checked himself into rehab days later and didn’t play at all that season.

My friend and I started a redraft league last year where we wanted lots of trading, so we set the bar and traded about 10 times, just between ourselves. It has rubbed off this year. To date, there have been 27 trades! We do have a voting process, and 6 trades have been vetoed, but of the 12 teams, everyone has traded at least once. And these aren't just trades involving waiver-type scrubs. Only 1 team still has both their 1st and 2nd round picks! It's by far the funnest league I have ever played in. In the first 8 weeks, I have yet to start the same lineup. Looking back, here were a few trades that seemed fair at the time, but have not aged well:
- Terry McLaurin for Jordan Addison & De'Von Achane
- Courtland Sutton for Sam LaPorta
The bolded are contradictory statements. Trade committees are terrible and have no place in a league. Just leads to frustration and problems.

What were the six trades that got vetoed and what were the reasons to veto them?

Also.....interesting subtopic perhaps....i was commish for about 12 years, and I would wait one or two days as a cool down and ponder period - kind of see if anyone was objecting (no one ever did.) My successor, in his first season as our Commish but a veteran who has been the administrator for several leagues, approves trades instantly. I could see where that might be a problem. However, one cool thing about it is Saturday trades get to go right into your lineup, so I'm a bit conflicted about his policy. But I promised myself not to second guess him, I'm grateful somebody stepped up aa I didn't want the gig anymore.
I have never understood the need for a cool off period before letting trades go through. The point of making a trade is to play the guys you traded for. Having to wait 2 days before it being official seems unnecessary.

You still won all those trades

Got offered Barkley straight up for Kamara the week before Kamara played his first game. Took it as there was some initial Barkley coming back super quick news, and remained to be seen how Kamara would play. Standard league so all those receptions haven’t counted for points. Arguably it’s been about net but had to wait for to Barkley to get fit and just have a feeling I’ll end up losing out when all is said and done

Only trade I made this year is Puka for Achane after week 3. It was bold trading away Puka, but I needed RB production...and I had Jefferson at WR.

:tfp:

What's worse is I drafted Achane, but dropped him after week 2.

I have never understood the need for a cool off period before letting trades go through. The point of making a trade is to play the guys you traded for. Having to wait 2 days before it being official seems unnecessary.
Agreed. If owners pay money for teams you let them run teams. Trades need to go through immediately. Bad trades happen. Bad owners who are at a high school level when the rest of the league is at medical school level get booted. I've found it takes 5 years to get similar level owners. Imo

If it makes you feel better, in dynasty, someone traded me DJ Moore about 5 mins before he went nuclear on Thursday night a few weeks ago. It was super close to kickoff, just enough time for me to start him though.

Users who are viewing this thread